Old 05-17-2010, 02:33 AM
And, again, I have to say that I can't disagree strongly enough with that assessment.

As for Sonny's "manhood", that twit proved tonight that he has none to be threatened.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Because his manhood was being threatened. During the parade when the shots started, it was his friend who protected her. They bonded slightly (or a lot, depending on how you saw it) because of it and Sonny began to feel instantly jealous.

I'm actually curious to see where their storyline goes. The most annoying character that I can really do less of is Khandi Alexadner's. She's irritating the hell out of me. Everyone else is really enjoyable to watch.
I was actually reading on the internet that Sonny and Annie mirror a real life New Orleans couple Zack and Addie well lets just say that story didnt end well for them . I noticed that the friend had saved her but Sonny was too busy being a skeevy stoner and not once did he drop that joint to go and look for her. The entire show it seems like hes just trying to scrounge by instead of putting his best foot forward.

This shows also made me want a Hubigs pie so damn bad!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 AM
A lot of these characters are based on real people.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Unless they pull something great out by the end of the season I probably won't watch Treme during season 2. The first few episodes were great at establishing things and getting across the general feel/atmosphere of the location but every episode is adding nothing. Put some actual drama in the show and maybe I'll be interested. Maybe Ed Burns was the guy who did all the story/drama stuff in The Wire and David Simon handled the characters.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 AM
gotta say last week's ep was kinda disappointing, the two before that however were amazing. i'm gonna stick with it till the end of the series for the flashes of greatness
Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Not a bad episode, just some of the storylines are kinda hit and miss with me.

I like:
Creighton and Tonis story - One of the main things that brought me to this show other than it being in one of the cities Im dying to visit was John Goodman coming back to television. He really looks like hes having a good time with this one.

Ladonnas story - Finding her brother.
Antoine and his story.
Davis his story is alright at best, he just seems a little eccentric.

Big Chief Lambreux - I respect hes trying to keep onto tradition and get the tribe back together.

Dont like:

Delmonds story sorta takes away from things for me.

The restaurant story can float what can come of that I dont know? I have a feeling that there is some sexual tension between Janette and her cook.

Sonny/Annie - the only real promise Annie had as a character was when she left him in the last episode only to come back to him. Those characters are doomed.

Sonny is a piece of shit.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
And, again, I have to say that I can't disagree strongly enough with that assessment.
Really? What would you say was the reason he kicked out the bouncer then?

I don't know about you guys but the last episode, Shallow Water, Oh Mama, made me laugh moreso than any other Treme episode so far. Most of it came from Antoine and because Wendell Pierce does such a great job with the character. When he hears that someone else is playing the trombone at a gig he wanted, or when he gets up for his solo at the formal gig he had to take ... really had a good laugh. Dennis' aunt too was fantastic and made me crack up a few times, the scene with Dennis, his parents and his aunt was one of the highlights and his storyline is one of the least interesting in my opinion.

Also, the chef's story is striking a chord with me. Kim Dickens does a really good job I find. Still most interesting storyline is Toni's search for LaDonna's brother. Sonny's and Annie's story has my attention only because it's got the most potential for some kind of disaster/tragedy and true emotional grit.

I'm loving it thus far though a lot of people seem to be complaining about the lack of plot or drama. I find myself really absorbed in each episode.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
I don't know about you guys but the last episode, Shallow Water, Oh Mama, made me laugh moreso than any other Treme episode so far. Most of it came from Antoine and because Wendell Pierce does such a great job with the character. When he hears that someone else is playing the trombone at a gig he wanted, or when he gets up for his solo at the formal gig he had to take ... really had a good laugh. Dennis' aunt too was fantastic and made me crack up a few times, the scene with Dennis, his parents and his aunt was one of the highlights and his storyline is one of the least interesting in my opinion.

Also, the chef's story is striking a chord with me. Kim Dickens does a really good job I find. Still most interesting storyline is Toni's search for LaDonna's brother. Sonny's and Annie's story has my attention only because it's got the most potential for some kind of disaster/tragedy and true emotional grit.

I'm loving it thus far though a lot of people seem to be complaining about the lack of plot or drama. I find myself really absorbed in each episode.
Agree with every word. I love ALL the storylines - the ones that are leading towards triumph, like LaDonna's brother and Davis' storyline, as well as the ones that are leading towards tragedy, like Sonny/Annie's frustrating but brutally realistic destructive relationship, or poor Janette who is just trying to live her dream but the hurricane ruined any chance of her continuing it. It's awful because every time we see the restaurant, it's full of customers and has famous chefs drop by and everything, and yet she STILL has trouble making ends meet! It's just so sad to see it happening.

Ultimately, I think my opinion on the show is clear: it's a REAL show, dealing with REAL, regular people and their regular people's problems after this tragic event. And the characters are so great! I don't know which is my favorite between Antoine or Creighton, but it's definitely one of them.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Really? What would you say was the reason he kicked out the bouncer then?
No, you're right about that.

I just really don't share your distaste for Khandi Alexander. In fact, I find her one of the strongest reasons to watch this show. We've disagreed about that before and we probably will again, but I just want to register my opinion whenever you do yours. Just to keep things balanced
Old 05-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Heather Havrilesky publishes a follow up to the earlier piece I linked at the top of page 2. Be sure to read the comments section, too. Some good stuff there.

I think she's wrong about Ladonna's quest to find her brother (which is a pivotal thread to me) but she's right about a couple of other things. The Albert incident, in particular, has nagged me at the edge of my consciousness since it happened. I would like to see it explored at some more length.

I also think Davis got over his drunken ass kicking far too easily. I like that it led to him getting a clue about his neighbors but when you have something like that happen, it shatters a lot of your illusions and should put you in a contemplative, even bitter, mood for a while. Maybe their point is that he's such a loud, shallow dope that he can just brush it off but that still doesn't quite scan for me.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Heather Havrilesky publishes a follow up to the earlier piece I linked at the top of page 2. Be sure to read the comments section, too. Some good stuff there.
An interesting article, no doubt about it. I'm with you on the Ladonna thing - I still think that it's the most consistently interesting storyline in the show. But as for the rest of it, I see her point but I still think that it's just the most incredible and solid of shows. Sure, it has its moments of greater brilliance that break out from the rest of it, but overall, I personally LOVE the contrast between the big, well-written dramatic scenes and the subtle drama/character-driven scenes.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:52 PM
One of the more interesting things about the comments section is that several people mentioned that some of the things she has problems with (Goodman's You Tube rants and the Nagin float) are based on fact.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Fabulous episode tonight. Maybe the best one of the series so far.

Just the thing I needed to cleanse my palatte of that garbage I subjected myself to on ABC.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Agreed - really, really fantastic episode. I had a feeling that the Ladonna episode might go down this path, but I didn't know just how well they would handle it. One of the only somewhat optimistic storylines in the show, and to end it like they did... awful. I got shivers when they showed the extreme long shot of her crying on the backdrop of a seemingly endless row of trailer trucks, all full of unclaimed bodies like the one she and Toni entered.

I also loved Chief Albert's story. Reminded me of some of the best moments on The Wire, in a good way And some more classic Creighton moments, like when Toni wakes him up when he's sleeping on the couch, and he's all moany and stuff. LOVE this show!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
annie's failed cajun band audition was for me the best music heard on the show so far

great ep!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Annie probably deliberately failed that audition in fear of Sonny's jealousy. I hope some drug dealer kills him or he overdoses, I like Annie as a character without him.

I kinda feared thats what was going to happen at the end of Ladonna/Daymo storyline, it was pretty upsetting, I felt bad for her and I fear the reaction of their mother when she finds out. Oh man.

Im enjoying Big Chief Alberts storyline a lot more, I feel so bad for him but at least hes got pride in what hes doing.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMisfit View Post
Annie probably deliberately failed that audition in fear of Sonny's jealousy. I hope some drug dealer kills him or he overdoses, I like Annie as a character without him.
yeah annie is seriously cool fit
Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Old 05-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Couldn't believe that they ended the Ladonna/Daymo story in the middle of the season the way they did! That's pretty ballsy for a show that doesn't have too much going for it in the drama department. Every other storyline was overshadowed by that one though, and for once I thought Khandi Alexander actually did a great job and didn't let her irritating demeanor get in the way. I really fear for Ladonna's mother now she's such a sweet ol' lady

I got goosebumps during the airport scene when the two traveling musicians joined in and made what was probably the best piece of music yet on the show. Why was Antoine so pissed though, I think I missed something.

I can't get the image of Albert beating that boy senseless out of my mind every time I see him. I feel for what he's trying to do but he's a bit of a messed up guy.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:51 AM
I think he didn't want to be seen doing an airport gig. They've never spelled it out but I think he's a musician of some note, although that doesn't always translate to a comfortable living, especially when you're playing Jazz in America.

Gotta save the spending cash for real musical talent, like Justin Bieber.

Yes, it's a cheap shot.

No, I don't care.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:02 AM

Good God...could she be any more adorable?

Incidentally, for anyone who doesn't know, Lucia Micarelli is a highly regarded musician in what we comically refer to as real life.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Quote:
I think he didn't want to be seen doing an airport gig. They've never spelled it out but I think he's a musician of some note, although that doesn't always translate to a comfortable living, especially when you're playing Jazz in America.
Agreed. He was clearly embarrassed about the airport gig, and was concerned about what these more successful musicians would think of him seeing him "degrade" himself to that kind of level. He was pissed (but seemingly enjoyed himself) when they totally stole the show and delivered a piece of music far more energetic and powerful than anything he or his band had done up until that point, which I think further stresses his competence but lack of TRUE musical talented like these more soulful individuals that surround him, like Kermit.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Not sure I can agree with that. For one thing, it looked (to me, at least) like he got into the playing when he realized it was developing into something better and, more importantly, that those guys were sincere in their wish to join in.

I think he's just still off kilter from the whole disaster and the way it's dried up his regular gigs. He's clearly hungry to be in a better setting (witness his impromptu solo in the somnambulent big band gig, which was well received by the crowd, a touch that I really liked) but he's ground down by having to do dumb shit for not much money.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
I think he's just still off kilter from the whole disaster and the way it's dried up his regular gigs. He's clearly hungry to be in a better setting (witness his impromptu solo in the somnambulent big band gig, which was well received by the crowd, a touch that I really liked) but he's ground down by having to do dumb shit for not much money.
This too. It's clear that he feels frustrated that these are the only gigs he can get. That said, I do think that he sometimes feels that he's lucky to have more talented musician friends to help him get gigs that he couldn't get on his own. Sure, he's talented too, but the other trombone guy in the airport out-horned him so much that Antoine had to stop playing. But it was all in a good atmosphere, I don't think he felt BITTER about it, just overwhelmed
Old 06-06-2010, 10:40 PM
What a refreshing episode it was tonight. For a while there I felt like there was a strong tension Janette and Jacques even if nothing has really quite happened in that area yet so I always wondered who they could pair Davis with and it happens tonight they paired him with the most unlikely yet most satisfying choice and that is Annie.

What a lovely couple, they actually looked like they enjoyed being together throughout tonights episode and really showed a ton of great chemistry. I hope I'm not the only one who hopes to see more of this.

Even if she looked really wary at Davis when he lit up the joint, hes still a far better and more interesting character than Sonny the whore.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 AM
I would love to think that's a possibility but I have my doubts.

Another thing I love about Antoine, and most of the musicians and aficionados in this show: they're not snobby. They have a wide frame of reference in their musical tastes. Granted, they go for authentic rootsy music (Davis' funniest line of the series so far was "What's the name of this band, 'Journey'?" a couple of weeks ago when he recorded his song), but they're malleable from there.

In real life, there are a lot of acoustic Jazz players who wouldn't want to play that Neville Bros. style R&B. The horn section in that type of music plays tight and together and it emphasizes a shared tone rather than leaving room for improvisation. That he happily (and skillfully) plays that kind of music is a superficially small thing that actually says a lot about him.

Tons of great scenes tonight. Davis and Annie's day and night just sang; Creighton and daughter's bittersweet trip to the waterfront; LaDonna desperately trying to hold it together; Janette putting that hilarious sign in her winshield and dancing around drunk after things wrapped up. Wonderful, memorable stuff.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:22 AM
Quote:

Tons of great scenes tonight. Davis and Annie's day and night just sang; Creighton and daughter's bittersweet trip to the waterfront
indeed, done with such class

phenomenal episode, really got a sense for the mardi gras. davis is better with annie but what about janette?

the scene where antoine bumps into the japanese fan at the bar i loved. this show makes me want to go and live in new orleans

Last edited by Cosimo; 06-09-2010 at 07:12 AM..
Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Tons of great scenes tonight. Davis and Annie's day and night just sang; Creighton and daughter's bittersweet trip to the waterfront; LaDonna desperately trying to hold it together; Janette putting that hilarious sign in her winshield and dancing around drunk after things wrapped up. Wonderful, memorable stuff.
Pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. I just love this show. Love it!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I hope what I think didnt just happen...
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Welp looks like that dispute over Goodman's name in the credits didn't mean he was going to stay on the show.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 AM
I didn't think he was even going to make it out of the house.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Oh. My. GOD. Seriously, David Simon has to stop ending episodes like that. Creighton... omg

The episode was so brilliantly structured, to. Cutting back and forth from the different parties, the different music going on. Great character moments for Antoine and Janette.

Last episode of the season next week...! I can't believe it was over so soon!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I wonder how long this show will last after this season? I mean its great and the first show Ive seen in a while with a nice and balanced set of characters. Timelines gotta be slow for the show for them to stretch this show into seasons.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Well, so far it's been renewed for a 2nd season, and after that, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:55 PM
gutted

he didn't have enough of a reason to do that

Last edited by Cosimo; 06-15-2010 at 07:14 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 PM
I just hope that next season they have like, you know, plots and stuff like that.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 AM
I can't wait to see the car chase when Antoine's debts all catch up to him at once.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM
if he creighton did what appears to be

Spoiler:
i am not convinced. a case of writers block and being upset about the destruction of some of your city is not a good enough reason to do yourself in, especially when you have a loving wife and child. not to mention the people of new orleans greatly respected him, his life was really good

i think he may of had a heart attack and fallen over the rails, he was having problems breathing whilst typing earlier on in the ep
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
Spoiler:
i am not convinced. a case of writers block and being upset about the destruction of some of your city is not a good enough reason to do yourself in, especially when you have a loving wife and child. not to mention the people of new orleans greatly respected him, his life was really good

i think he may of had a heart attack and fallen over the rails, he was having problems breathing whilst typing earlier on in the ep
Spoiler:
Maybe, but clearly the tragedy of the whole thing really got to him - he was really, deeply depressed in the last couple of episodes, and I think the writer's block was only a symptom of that depression - I think he may have just come to the conclusion that nothing will ever be the same again: even Mardi Gras couldn't manage to lift his spirits. I'm not defending his actions in any way (if indeed we witnessed his actions, as it's still unclear what just happened there), but I'm just saying, I definitely understand why the character did it.

Last edited by Monotreme; 06-17-2010 at 04:54 AM..
Old 06-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
I can't wait to see the car chase when Antoine's debts all catch up to him at once.
You have a weird definition of plot