Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 PM
I second these notions! Great choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywalker17 View Post
My Casting:

BILBO - Martin Freeman (The Office UK, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

THORIN OAKENSHIELD - Ray Winstone (Beowulf, The Proposition)

BALIN - Paul Giamatti

THE GREAT GOBLIN - Danny Huston (The Aviator, 30 Days of Night)

BEORN - Damian Lewis (Band of Brothers, Dreamcatcher, ABC's Life)

ELVENKING OF MIRKWOOD - Leonard Nimoy

SMAUG - Gary Oldman (voice)
Old 01-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey, how about Nimoy as the voice for Smaug? Just a thought.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:32 AM
I cannot wait for these two movies to come out. Del Toro is living in New Zealand as I type this to work on these movies and his attention to detail will be second to none. He did an amazing job with the two Hellboy movies and with Pan's Labyrinth so I can't wait to see how these will turn out. I read he spent a YEAR already just getting Smaug to look the way he wants him! That is just awesome! With Peter Jackson helping out and all the resources of New Zealand in Weta workshop and Weta digital Del Toro must feel like a kid in a candy shop. These two movies based on the Hobbit will be coated in awesome sauce
Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
From http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1809286/

Quote:
We’ve reported before about Peter Jackson talking up this summer as the planned start date for shooting The Hobbit. Now Gandalf himself – better known as Ian McKellen – has posted on his website that he’ll start shooting the first movie in July.While New Line has yet to make any official announcement about an official greenlight, the schedule or the cast, we’re frankly inclined to believe McKellen. He goes on to relate the following: “Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons' and the studio in Miramar. “Much of which we could have guessed, but when Gandalf tells you it’s happening, you listen.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Ian MacShane HAS to voice Smaug.

Other than that, I whole heartedly agree with Dannywalker17's choices.

I'm just glad this flick didn't get banished to pre production purgatory.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:53 PM
man i really dig martin freeman as bilbo. really dig him. its getting to the point where anyone else casted will initially disappoint
Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I really don't like the idea of Matthew Goode playing Bilbo, I mean sure they make the actor look a lot shorter then they actually are-but Goode is too tall and skinny.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 AM
This movie has been long overdue...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 PM
"We’ve reported before about Peter Jackson talking up this summer as the planned start date for shooting The Hobbit. Now Gandalf himself – better known as Ian McKellen – has posted on his website that he’ll start shooting the first movie in July.While New Line has yet to make any official announcement about an official greenlight, the schedule or the cast, we’re frankly inclined to believe McKellen. He goes on to relate the following: “Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons' and the studio in Miramar. “Much of which we could have guessed, but when Gandalf tells you it’s happening, you listen."

And they're getting in full swing on the redesign and set up on the Hobbiton set.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010...uction-photos/
Old 05-30-2010, 06:54 PM
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010...ts-the-hobbit/
Quote:
Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit"

by xoanon

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”, but will continue to co-write the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first. They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life”, says Guillermo. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director”.

“We feel very sad to see Guillermo leave the Hobbit, but he has kept us fully in the loop and we understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone’s control – has compromised his commitment to other long term projects”, says Executive Producer Peter Jackson. “The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn’t feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years. Guillermo is one of the most remarkable creative spirits I’ve ever encountered and it has been a complete joy working with him. Guillermo’s strong vision is engrained into the scripts and designs of these two films, which are extremely fortunate to be blessed with his creative DNA”.

“Guillermo is co-writing the Hobbit screenplays with Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and myself, and happily our writing partnership will continue for several more months, until the scripts are fine tuned and polished” says Jackson. “New Line and Warner Bros will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work”.

The Hobbit is planned as two motion pictures, co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM. They are scheduled for release in Dec 2012 and Dec 2013.
Uh oh.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 PM
I've just read this myself. I wonder who will get the job now. Maybe PJ will take over after his mauling from The Lovely Bones,
Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm split on this. On one hand, I'm ecstatic that del Toro can actually get on some of his other projects now (please let it be At the Mountains of Madness), yet I am saddened that he won't be working on the film. It's no great loss to the project as it doesn't seem it will be moving forward for quite a while and I'm sure they'll have a great director by the time it's ready.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I'm with Tyler. I'd like to see Guillermo get on the ball with both At the Mountains of Madness and Hellboy 3 now. Hell, I'd like to see him helm every single movie with a monster in it, but there's only so much Guillermo that can go around.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I liked the LOTR movies but wasn't really hyped about the Hobbit. I am also glad that Del Toro can move on to other projects.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Sweet GIF, Echo! That looks like Season 5, episode 1. Greatest show ever.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Del Torro's involvement in The Hobbit was the only thing that made in interested in the project.

At least now he can start work on (hopefully) original material.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Somebody with the studios needs to get their cranium out of there anal cavity and either get MGM onboard or buy them out. Both these flicks are gonna make beaucoups of money, so they'll get there money back many times over. C'mon Warner, buy MGM out for Pete's sake.

I hate to see Del Toro out, but the man has got to feed his family. Is this a ploy by Jackson and Del Toro to get the studios to make a positive move? Who knows?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Yeah, I'm with Tyler. I'd like to see Guillermo get on the ball with both At the Mountains of Madness and Hellboy 3 now. Hell, I'd like to see him helm every single movie with a monster in it, but there's only so much Guillermo that can go around.
Personally, I'm hoping Guillermo Del Toro gets the Dr. Strange movie he was always talking about doing. Marvel should push that up and entice him now! We don't need to see any more Hellboy films at this time.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Driftwood View Post
Somebody with the studios needs to get their cranium out of there anal cavity and either get MGM onboard or buy them out. Both these flicks are gonna make beaucoups of money, so they'll get there money back many times over. C'mon Warner, buy MGM out for Pete's sake.

I hate to see Del Toro out, but the man has got to feed his family. Is this a ploy by Jackson and Del Toro to get the studios to make a positive move? Who knows?
I agree. MGM are nuts to push off Bond and The Hobbit and now they shot their entire foot off. You had 2 A-list directors signed to direct your 2 flagship films (Sam Mendes on Bond 22 and Del Toro on The Hobbit) and they continually delayed them and fucked around until both guys said "fuck this"

Warner Bros. or Paramount should get on the move to buy the properties. They would easily plunk down the money to make both films.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:22 AM
Damn, that's pretty surprising, maybe even shocking. Freak it, let Pj take the helm like he should have from the very beginning, this is his baby, at least the world that's created will be consistent, and he can have the same crew that has intimate knowledge of what was done with the Lotr trilogy.

I never understood the move to have someone else come in and direct these films, Del Toro was like an outsider in that world. He's a terrific director( and artist also) and i'm sure he would have done something special but this just may be a blessing in disguise for both parties.

This is Pj's baby, time for him to take over and totally focus and getting this thing done
Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 AM
I'm mixed on this as I can't think of anyone better to replace Jackson if they absolutely had to replace him but on the other hand, he could do other projects. So I can take it either way.

HOWEVER, if he devotes his time to making another Hellboy movie, he can kiss my ass. Those movies were a waste of his talents and I'd take 1 Hobbit before 50 Hellboys
Old 05-31-2010, 09:13 AM
That's a damn shame that del Toro left; I thought he was a great choice as director.

Now that there's a vacancy, I don't think they should replace him until the legal crap is settled. Who knows? Maybe del Toro will be up for taking it on again when production gets going again. If anything, maybe Peter Jackson will decide to take up directing the movies now.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 AM
The only person I can trust with this would be Alfonso Cuarón, only he can pull it off if PJ passes on it.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
That's a damn shame that del Toro left; I thought he was a great choice as director.

Now that there's a vacancy, I don't think they should replace him until the legal crap is settled. Who knows? Maybe del Toro will be up for taking it on again when production gets going again. If anything, maybe Peter Jackson will decide to take up directing the movies now.
My thoughts exactly. This legal cluster**** needs to be cleared up before anything further can be done. While I am disappointed, I'd rather the time be taken to do these films right than have them rushed.

As for replacement directors, Neill Blomkamp comes to mind, but I think he's busy with a project of his own. Alfonso Cuaron would be a near-perfect choice. He's a close friend and collaborator of GDT, and I think he'd do a good job of bringing GDT and PJ's vision to life.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm sad to see GDT leave, although I'm not that big a fan of his stuff (although I did like the Hellboys). I was looking forward to seeing his take on the Dwarf world and of course on SMAUG! I just can't help but think that his Smaug would've been the bomb!

But, now that he's NOT directing...please let Peter Jackson do it! For Gods sake! He needs a hit anyway. Of course this all has a lot to do when MGM climbs down off its own thumb.

WAKE UP MGM...WAKE UP WB! Billions of bucks await you if you'd just get off your ass!

Last edited by Otis_Driftwood; 05-31-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm not surprised by this news in the slightest, this reminds me of the writer's strike that happened years back only this time it's film studios going broke and losing the rights to certain material. At least Del Toro can focus on more original projects since he hasn't done one since Pan's Labyrinth.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Personally, I'm hoping Guillermo Del Toro gets the Dr. Strange movie he was always talking about doing. Marvel should push that up and entice him now! We don't need to see any more Hellboy films at this time.
Dr. Strange would be great too! However, I'd prefer to receive a Hellboy III first because a) I'm a fan and b) Ron Pearlman isn't getting any younger. Guillermo himself is in love with the universe and has stated on quite a few occasions that he'd like to make a third entry.

Still, like many here, I'm pretty much cheery for anything the Del-to-the-Toro is up to.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
It fucking sucks that Del Toro is leaving. I thought he was really going to be a perfect fit. What a shame.

Will Jackson take the helm again? Otherwise I really have my doubts that they will get someone as creative and talented as Del Toro though.

Neil Blomkamp?

I guess at least Del Toro is still involved with the film and WETA will still be using all the creatures that were designed under his supervision (right???).
Old 05-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro_44 View Post
Neil Blomkamp?

I guess at least Del Toro is still involved with the film and WETA will still be using all the creatures that were designed under his supervision (right???).
Hey now, that's a pretty cool and logical suggestion. I like it.

Hopefully some of the Del Toro designs do stay. You know there's lots of great looking stuff that he's added to the project.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Sweet GIF, Echo! That looks like Season 5, episode 1. Greatest show ever.
Yeah!

Mcnulty is definitely not pleased with Del Toro dropping out haha

Heisenberg, great call on Cuaron. I think he would do a great job with The Hobbit.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:59 PM
I really enjoyed watching the Lord of the Rings and I have read the Hobbit and really cannot wait for this to hit the theaters.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:20 PM
The entire film community should be in mourning today. I can't believe this - I read this announcement earlier today and just felt crestfallen. It's such a shame, such a missed opportunity - I thought that the world of Middle Earth and the franchise as a whole could have really benefitted from some new blood, and with del Toro at the helm, all seemed good in the world. I can't think of many directors who will offer anything as interesting as he would have. Oh well, at least his work on the script and the pre-production will all probably still find its way into the final film. It's just a shame that it won't all have that unique stamp and twisted style on it. A real, damn shame.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
The only person I can trust with this would be Alfonso Cuarón, only he can pull it off if PJ passes on it.

Seriously. It would be the cats ass/bee's knee's/tits/sex/liquor/Christopher Walken if he created a vision of Middle Earth.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
Seriously. It would be the cats ass/bee's knee's/tits/sex/liquor/Christopher Walken if he created a vision of Middle Earth.
Actually, that would be AMAZING.

I'd also be curious to see like Terry Gilliam's take on this. But it might be TOO weird, so scratch that. Alfonso gets my vote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 AM
That's a good pick to replace him, Cuaron is probably one of the most talented directors out there and he has a wonderful eye for arresting visuals, i'm just not so sure he would be inspired to complete such a monumental task, with this type of material it's more than skill and talent. You need someone with a sort of childlike wonderment and playfulness, that's what Pj has, and Del Toro also.

My dark horse pick would be the Spierig bros. They also made their mark with low budget horror( like Pj), they seem to be enthusiastic and would bring a tremendous amount of energy to the proceedings. They also proved they can do so much with limited resources and are extremely talented and unconventional filmmakers. Only problem is, they seem to have agreed to direct the Power of the Dark Crystal. If that falls through somehow, Pj should at least consider those two. Even if they still go ahead with that film, by the time they are done with it, Hobbit should be able to start filming for real
Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
My dark horse pick would be the Spierig bros. They also made their mark with low budget horror( like Pj), they seem to be enthusiastic and would bring a tremendous amount of energy to the proceedings. They also proved they can do so much with limited resources and are extremely talented and unconventional filmmakers. Only problem is, they seem to have agreed to direct the Power of the Dark Crystal. If that falls through somehow, Pj should at least consider those two. Even if they still go ahead with that film, by the time they are done with it, Hobbit should be able to start filming for real
I dunno. Enthusiasm and visual ingenuity are not enough for this film: it's a little, you know... EPIC. And I'd much rather/expect a more experienced director take the helm.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 PM
It's nuts that Del Toro dropped out, but hopefull Jackson steps in.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
I dunno. Enthusiasm and visual ingenuity are not enough for this film: it's a little, you know... EPIC. And I'd much rather/expect a more experienced director take the helm.
Yeah, I don't think we've seen enough of their work yet to really form an opinion there. I'm not even sure if the brothers would be up for it themselves. They're just starting their run as filmmakers and they haven't really crafted any truly adult, mature films or, on the opposite end, anything a truly large scale yet outside of their genre pictures yet so we have no idea how they would handle the film at all. Let’s wait to see how The Power of the Dark Crystal turns out before jumping the gun on them.

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 06-01-2010 at 09:48 PM..
Old 06-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I was absolutely devastated and blindsided by this news. As much as I'm dying to see this film, I'd rather it be done right with the right director than it go bad. Maybe Del Toro can go do another film and by then things will be worked out and he can come back to the project. If not that, then I hope PJ will just do it. Lovely Bones didn't do well critically or commercially, so maybe he'll be more likely to go back to what he knows works for him.

I just wish WB would buy MGM out. You know MGM needs the money...