Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 AM
The Lovely Bones

It's been awhile I disliked a movie so much.

I admit that I haven't read the book, but I sort of figured the movie was in trouble when Wahlberg shows up, but he turns out to be one of the least of the movies problems.

As annoyed as I was by the tone shifts in the movie, it still could have been better of Peter didn't insist on dragging the movie out with so many effects. It's not that the running time is actually that long, but he is so obbessed the effects that he fails to develop the characters that could have grounded this movie in at least a bit of realism. The loving father angle is never full developed. I'm sorry, but one or two conversations doesn't really show that a father loves his daughter and will go to any lengths. And yeah, even if you overlook that, the Len Fenerman barely has spoken to Susie and yet he is broken beyond repair by her being missing?

Were supposed to understand that people deal with tragedies in different ways, but how can you care when the angles aren't developed? You don't have to detail every little thing, but make it somewhat believable And the Susan Sarandon character was terrible. She pops in and out of the movie to add a few lines and drank up all the booze. What the hell is that?

The missing girl and Tucci gave good efforts, but it seemed like everyone knew this was turkey and just cashed the check. To me, this movie is only a step above Uwe Boll's offerings.

2/10
Old 06-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I really enjoyed this movie but I'll admit that it was flawed. Visually it's beautiful and I thought, for the most part, that acting was very good. Tucci's character was scary as hell and seemed like a real pedophile/murderer. The film explores interesting themes about life, death and moving on.

Not Jackson's best but also not his worst.

8/10
Old 06-05-2010, 04:55 PM
This movie is severely flawed, poorly acted, garners a shit load of lapses in logic and plot holes, horrific CGI, a lame story, and a tonally bipolar atmosphere. Overall a real shit stain on Peter Jackson's filmography.

1/10
Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm with rocknblues and Terminal, although I certianly would never give this film THAT low a rating. I gave it 5/10, right in the middle, which I think is a perfect compromise. Because I definitely thought that the film had a few redeeming qualities, namely the performances by Saoirse Ronan (snubbed for an Oscar nom) and Stanley Tucci.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Monotreme I tend to disagree. I hold Peter Jackson to a high standard and this was not his all. I thought every performance was terrible and the movie just ghastly to watch.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 PM
I personally think this movie was a train wreck. Something about it seemed off the entire time and the pacing was absolutely atrocious.

All of the characters were extremely underdevloped. For a movie that should have made feel something, I felt nothing.

I also can not understand how Tucci was nominated for an Academy Award for this performance. I never became enveloped in his performance, he always seemed to be straining with the character. This move was just off, in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKMovieFan View Post
I personally think this movie was a train wreck. Something about it seemed off the entire time and the pacing was absolutely atrocious.

All of the characters were extremely underdevloped. For a movie that should have made feel something, I felt nothing.

I also can not understand how Tucci was nominated for an Academy Award for this performance. I never became enveloped in his performance, he always seemed to be straining with the character. This move was just off, in my opinion.
Yes indeed.