Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 PM
The Last House on the Left (2009)

Very solid remake. In fact, I'll come right out and say it's a FAR better film than the original. I know what people say... The original had some commentary. Yes, it did. But Craven killed his own film with bumbling cops mixing with graphic rape scenes. The good news here is that you will not find bumbling cops.

The outline of the story here is basically the same. Two teen girls fall prey to a gang of criminals. But the story is better developed here, and a bit more reasonable in that at least some attempt is made to make the transfer from crime scene to Mari's parents house more plausible. The gore and violence is somewhat watered down, but given the extra emphasis on acting and a better written script, I'll take the trade off easily.

It's somewhat disappointing that all the social commentary has been lost. This time Krug is pretty much a nihilistic character with little regard for anyone, including his own son. But it's not a total loss. After all, there is no need pretending like these types of people don't exist. And we know that at heart it's a revenge story. Like ones that people praise from the 70's. The emotional weight here is carried by Tony Goldwyn, Monica Potter as the vengeful parents and they do a heck of a job. They largely act as you would probably expect parents to act given the situation. But what makes it more effective is that the vengeful violence isn't rushed. They pacing is much improved and is far more efficient. I don't want to give anything away, but I was disappointed in the last 5 minutes because it was needlessly tacked on for some ineffective shock value.

Overall, it's a solid revenge movie. It's not perfect, but it's a far improvement on the more ambiguous but poorly made original film.

7/10
Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 AM
I saw this last month and loved it. It takes a severely flawed movie and remakes it in to something coherent, passionate, heartfelt and powerful. Revenge is the main focus, the keystone cops comedy sub-plot is gone, I loved it. BETTER than Craven's film. Ten times better.

9/10