Old 07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
What are your comic collection gems?

I was looking through my comics the other day, haven't bought issues in years now though i pick up some trades, and i remembered that when i first started collecting about 15 years ago i sort of set out a couple goals since there was just soo much out there.

Now i pretty much gravitated towards Spider Man and Marvel in general. I have 1500+ issues with proabaly 60% of that being from the 4 core Spider Man titles, Amazing, Spectacular, Web of and Spider Man.

1. Venom's First Apperence (Amazing #300) - got it

2. All of Venom's main appearecnes in Amazing (vaious issues between 300-390's) - got it **Edit: Almost forgot that all of these issue are also signed by artist Mark Bagely who drew them **

3. Complete Maximum Carnage saga - got it
4. Complete Secret Wars saga - got it (even issue 8 )
5. Mark Bagely's complete run on Amazing - almost (missing less then 10 issues all in the early 400's)
6. Complete runs of Venom's various limited series - almost (missing 6 issues form the 60+ issue run)
7. As close to complete runs of the 4 core Spider Man titles:
- Amazing: 260+ issues of i think 600+ now (have 300-400 straight)
- Spectacular: about 60 issues short the 250ish run (have a solid chunk of about 75 or so issues)
- Web of: 12 issues short of the 120ish run (if i wasn't missing a could issues early in the run i'd have somehting like 100 straight issues)
- Spider Man: missing 6 issues prior to the reboot in the late 90's (first 54 straight issues)

That's all i can think of atm. As you can see i'm a big Spidey fan. I have lost sof other stuff as well. Got a good amount of Fantastic 4 and lots of the current titles issues from about 2001 - 2006.

What do you guys/gals have to be proud of in your comic collections?

Last edited by vesaker; 07-04-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Nothing really "classic" in my collection, but I think I have some cool stuff.

The Maxx - entire run (1-34), including issue 1/2
Lobo - Paramilitary Christmas Special
Batman vs Predator - Original issues 1-3
Cerebus - complete phonebook collection, vol 1-16, Swords of Cerebus vol 1-6, and "The Animated Cerebus" collection of concept art
Old 07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Nice, i've been wanting to collect The Maxx for a while now and will eventually pick up the trades some day.

And that's a lot of Cerebus
Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Kingdom Come Leatherbound edition
Superman 60th birthday issue with the hologram
Young Justice signed by Frank David with certificate of authenticity
Superman vs. The Flash
Sin City graphic novels
Hack/Slash volume 1
Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 PM
>> @Vesaker, WOW! That is an amazing collection, I'm only just starting with mine, so all i have are a couple of trades.
>The Umbrella Academy- Apocalypse Suite
>The Umbrella Academy- Dallas
>Batman- The Dark Knight Returns
>Locke and Key- Welcome to Lovecraft
>Discworld the graphic novels
>Star wars the Force Unleashed- Graphic Novel
>>And the Comic Book Encyclopedia by Ron Goulart

>>I need to start working.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 AM
I think the only thing I have that is worth a little money is Spawn 1 through about 30.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal_83 View Post
Kingdom Come Leatherbound edition
ooooo nice one. I didn't realize they'd done leather bound editions. Closest think i got are the Absolute editions of Watchman and Walking Dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54PH1R3 View Post
>> @Vesaker, WOW! That is an amazing collection, I'm only just starting with mine, so all i have are a couple of trades.
>The Umbrella Academy- Apocalypse Suite
>The Umbrella Academy- Dallas
>Batman- The Dark Knight Returns
>Locke and Key- Welcome to Lovecraft
>Discworld the graphic novels
>Star wars the Force Unleashed- Graphic Novel
>>And the Comic Book Encyclopedia by Ron Goulart

>>I need to start working.
Thanks, not a bad start yourself. If you liked Dark Knight Returns you need tyo grab Strikes Back next. It's not quite as good but a ton of other DC characters get thrown into the mix and its a great story itself.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I think the only thing I have that is worth a little money is Spawn 1 through about 30.
Ah good thing you actually have a dectgn chunk of the begining of the book instead of just the first issue. So many ppl thought having just the first issue was big bucks back in the day. I recall seeing like 10 copies of issue 1 in a $.25 bin years back.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
ooooo nice one. I didn't realize they'd done leather bound editions.
Thanks! It's a crown jewel of the collection.

I also have the final issue of the Doomsday arc featuring Superman's tattered cape
The complete Doomsday graphic novel
The Superman resurrection issue.
All four "Reign of the Superman" one shots.
And the Complete run of "Wonder Man" and "Slingers."
Old 07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
The most I've got is Marc Spector: Moon Knight issues 35 - 38 (the Blood Brothers storyline with the Punisher) and Moon Knight Vol. 3 1 - 6 (Charlie Huston's first six issues of the reboot, which is fantastic, and one of my favorite Marvel stories) and the Godzilla Dark Horse Color Special, as well as my Preacher trades.

My wife has a shit-ton of Buffy comics, so much so that I couldn't even begin to list them all, but there is a lot.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Ah good thing you actually have a dectgn chunk of the begining of the book instead of just the first issue. So many ppl thought having just the first issue was big bucks back in the day. I recall seeing like 10 copies of issue 1 in a $.25 bin years back.
They printed way too many copies to be worth too much. I probably have other comic books that are technically worth more. I have stacks and stacks of the X-men from the late 80s early 90s, but while I enjoy those I think there will always be a special place in my heart for Spawn. Probably has a lot to do with being on board since the beginning of it.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Thanks! It's a crown jewel of the collection.

I also have the final issue of the Doomsday arc featuring Superman's tattered cape
The complete Doomsday graphic novel
The Superman resurrection issue.
All four "Reign of the Superman" one shots.
And the Complete run of "Wonder Man" and "Slingers."
Ha nice i remember when i was a kid the huge deal that was made about Superman dieing. Everyone had to have at least 2 copies, one to read and one to keep in the bloody bag. That was a huge scam by the comic industry. I loved readin like 10 years later that the grade of plastic bag used wasn'r much better then that of a grocery bag and to keep your issues in the original bags could actually damage them over time!

I had a few issues of the slingers and i have all the issues of the spider man titles when Identity Crisis happened (which was too weird). I think the Slingers issues i have are like 5-9 or something so i'm not sure how it all got set up. I do remember that the girl who became Dusk was actually dead or something though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden_208 View Post
The most I've got is Marc Spector: Moon Knight issues 35 - 38 (the Blood Brothers storyline with the Punisher) and Moon Knight Vol. 3 1 - 6 (Charlie Huston's first six issues of the reboot, which is fantastic, and one of my favorite Marvel stories) and the Godzilla Dark Horse Color Special, as well as my Preacher trades.

My wife has a shit-ton of Buffy comics, so much so that I couldn't even begin to list them all, but there is a lot.
Yeah it's funny how comics can run for years but there are single stories that stand out so much for ppl. Years back, i think like 2002 or so, i picked up the first couple of issues of a Fantastci Four arc called "Unthinkable". I thought i'd give it a try cause there was a bad ass cover with Doom on it. Ended getting hooked and collected FF for the next couple of years till it fell off. I'm a Huge Dr Doom fan and not so much and FF fan but that arc was Epic.

Yeah i'm not sure how many issues of Buffy/Angel are out there these days though i have seen this one girl on the subway reading one of the Omnibuses. Gotta love those huge trades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
They printed way too many copies to be worth too much. I probably have other comic books that are technically worth more. I have stacks and stacks of the X-men from the late 80s early 90s, but while I enjoy those I think there will always be a special place in my heart for Spawn. Probably has a lot to do with being on board since the beginning of it.
Yeah Image took what was stupid about comic companies at the time and did it 10 fold. They were all about the 5 different chrome covers to bilk you out of more funds.

Spawn started off well enough but McFarlane really did rip off other ppl stuff to make a lot of spawn. Hell he even ripped off his own work on Spider Man (the title he wrote, penciled and inked himself for the first 13 issues or so) where he has a character the looks exactly like Clown but different colours in a p art arc with Morbius. The animated series is dope though, love me some Keith David.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Ha nice i remember when i was a kid the huge deal that was made about Superman dieing. Everyone had to have at least 2 copies, one to read and one to keep in the bloody bag. That was a huge scam by the comic industry. I loved readin like 10 years later that the grade of plastic bag used wasn'r much better then that of a grocery bag and to keep your issues in the original bags could actually damage them over time!
Wow, I never knew that. Good thing I opened it when I first got it. People told me to keep it in its package, but I didn't want to. I buy comics to read first and preserve second. I'm a HUGE Superman geek. I integrate him in to many aspects of my life.

Quote:
I had a few issues of the slingers and i have all the issues of the spider man titles when Identity Crisis happened (which was too weird). I think the Slingers issues i have are like 5-9 or something so i'm not sure how it all got set up. I do remember that the girl who became Dusk was actually dead or something though.
I thought Slingers was so good. I remember not finding it anymore and emailing Marvel.com asking where it went and when they told me it'd be canceled, I groaned and thought "Awwwwww, man!"
Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I have soooooooooo many I could list. Full Bronze Age runs of some cool Marvel titles from the 1970's -BUT single issue wise-
1977 (2 copies)FN cond. Marvel Comics The KIZZ comic #1 (oversized)-use to own 3 pages of original art from this gem as well! including one of only 4 splashes from it,by Artist Rich Buckler.
1965 DareDevil #7 DD vs Sub-Mariner! EX cond.
1964 Fantastic Four #25 both EX cond. Hulk vs Thing (2 copies)
1964 Fantastic Four #26 both EX cond. Hulk vs F.F. and The Avengers! (2 copies)
1972 Invincible Iron Man #55 FN (2 copies)
1966 The Amazing Spider-Man #33 EX cond.
1968 X-Men #40 FN X-Men meet Frankenstein! (2 copies)
Several issue #1's from the 1970's The Man-Thing -Doctor Strange-The Frankenstein Monster Tomb Of Dracula Werewolf By Night Super Villain Team Up- So many, many more pricey issues.
+ many Silver Age/Bronze Age/Modern Age - autographed comic issues and graphic novels by artists /writers/publishers like -Stan Lee(3)-Gene Colan (2)-Marv Wolfman-John Byrne-Keith Pollard (2)- Kelley Jones(4)-Dan Jurgens -Jim Balent - Marty Nodell (2)-Jo Duffy - Peter David - Mike Ploog(2)-Jim Aparo-Sal Buscema(2)-Jim Steranko(2)-Al Bigley-Ron Garney-Mark Waid-Ron Frenz-Dick Giordano-Buzz Stetzer-Brett Breeding-George Perez (2)- Ron Marz-Darryl Banks(2)-Jim Starlin-Tom Lyle + other things like cards toys signed by John Romita Jr. -John Buscma-Klaus Janson-Barry Windsor Smith-Marie Severin -Neal Adams-George Tuska-Dick Ayers-Tom Palmer-Roy Thomas -John Romita Sr.-Paul Gulacy and Don McGregor-Mark Bright + many others!
Click image for larger version

Name:	xmen40comic.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	8598

Name:	ironman55comic.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	8599

Name:	dd#7comic.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	8600

Name:	spiderman33comic.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	8601

Name:	kisscomic1977.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	8602

Last edited by Dr.Frankenstein; 07-08-2010 at 02:24 AM..
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Wow, I never knew that. Good thing I opened it when I first got it. People told me to keep it in its package, but I didn't want to. I buy comics to read first and preserve second. I'm a HUGE Superman geek. I integrate him in to many aspects of my life.

I thought Slingers was so good. I remember not finding it anymore and emailing Marvel.com asking where it went and when they told me it'd be canceled, I groaned and thought "Awwwwww, man!"
Ha nice . I've never really gotten into Superman myself for some reason. I had an old silent cartoon of him when i was really little that i loved, but never got into his comics. I do however seem to gravitate to his stories that aren't cannon or i like reading different takes on the character.

Stories like Red Son and Superman: Secret Identity are awsome stories (especially love Secret Identity) and i liked Superman: Metropolis where they followed Jimmy Olsen around and they Tech is running around.

If you've never read it you should pick up the 3 trades (18 issues) of Marvel Max's Supreme Power. It's J.M. Strazynski's spin on the major DC hero's. Superman is found by the US government and takes on a sort of Dr. Manhattan role in the muilitary. Batman is black and his parents are killed in a hate crime. Green Latern is a Black Ops soldier for the US that gets bonded to the power source of the ship that brings the Superman character to earth. Wonder Woman and Aquaman are also represented though Aqua is a girl in this. Great stroy that unfortunately got cut short cause Marvel dicked around with it.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frankenstein View Post
I have soooooooooo many I could list. Full Bronze Age runs of some cool Marvel titles from the 1970's -BUT single issue wise-
1977 (2 copies)FN cond. Marvel Comics The KIZZ comic #1 (oversized)-use to own 3 pages of original art from this gem as well! including one of only 4 splashes from it,by Artist Rich Buckler.
1965 DareDevil #7 DD vs Sub-Mariner! EX cond.
1964 Fantastic Four #25 both EX cond. Hulk vs Thing (2 copies)
1964 Fantastic Four #26 both EX cond. Hulk vs F.F. and The Avengers! (2 copies)
1972 Invincible Iron Man #55 FN (2 copies)
1966 The Amazing Spider-Man #33 EX cond.
1968 X-Men #40 FN X-Men meet Frankenstein! (2 copies)
Several issue #1's from the 1970's The Man-Thing -Doctor Strange-The Frankenstein Monster Tomb Of Dracula Werewolf By Night Super Villain Team Up- So many, many more pricey issues.
+ many Silver Age/Bronze Age/Modern Age - autographed comic issues and graphic novels by artists /writers/publishers like -Stan Lee(3)-Gene Colan (2)-Marv Wolfman-John Byrne-Keith Pollard (2)- Kelley Jones(4)-Dan Jurgens -Jim Balent - Marty Nodell (2)-Jo Duffy - Peter David - Jim Aparo-Sal Buscema(2)-Jim Steranko(2)-Al Bigley-Ron Garney-Mark Waid-Ron Frenz-Dick Giordano-Buzz Stetzer-Brett Breeding-George Perez (2)- Ron Marz-Darryl Banks(2)-Jim Starlin-Tom Lyle + other things like cards toys signed by John Romita Jr. -John Buscma-Klaus Janson-Barry Windsor Smith-Marie Severin -George Tuska-Dick Ayers-Tom Palmer-Roy Thomas -John Romita Sr.-Paul Gulacy and Don McGregor-Mark Bright + many others!
wow that's a ton of stuff, nice. You've been at this for a while

I myself have a couple of older issues of Spider Man, nothing in good condidtion though. I think the earliest issues i have is 74 or something.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Quote:
wow that's a ton of stuff, nice. You've been at this for a while

I myself have a couple of older issues of Spider Man, nothing in good condidtion though. I think the earliest issues i have is 74 or something.
Kinda funny,I was actively buying issues that year- was my main buying year too! issue wise. Started buying comics in 1971?-1972 got stared in proper. 1974-was I have said on other sites THE BEST YEAR FOR COMIC BOOKS -story wise,art-work etc. IMO of course.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frankenstein View Post
Kinda funny,I was actively buying issues that year- was my main buying year too! issue wise. Started buying comics in 1971?-1972 got stared in proper. 1974-was I have said on other sites THE BEST YEAR FOR COMIC BOOKS -story wise,art-work etc. IMO of course.
That's pretty cool. I had a year like that a little while ago, i think probably 2005 or 2006. My cost of living dipped way below my income (moved back in with the parentals for a year) and was collecting something like 22 titles when you included all the monthlys and limited seires at any given time. Blew a lot of dough in that comic shop that year.....
Old 07-15-2010, 04:55 PM
I have a complete run of X-men from 1980 to 2000. from there till 2004 i have some titles full and others, not so much (I really hated Chuck Austen's run) but from 2004 on, i have it complete.

I have all of the recent Ms Marvel and Iron Fist series as well as good chunks of the old 70's series. I also have lots of old ghostbusters issues.

That isn't all i have, my collection is a lot bigger. My X-men stuff sticks out the most because i have so much of it.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mattimeo View Post
I have a complete run of X-men from 1980 to 2000. from there till 2004 i have some titles full and others, not so much (I really hated Chuck Austen's run) but from 2004 on, i have it complete.

I have all of the recent Ms Marvel and Iron Fist series as well as good chunks of the old 70's series. I also have lots of old ghostbusters issues.

That isn't all i have, my collection is a lot bigger. My X-men stuff sticks out the most because i have so much of it.
Oh nice, i never realized you had from 80-2000's straight, nice one. Claremont was such an awesome writer on that book. I still need to pick up the last couple of essentials, I think X-men is at vol. 9 or something now a days.