Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 PM
As a Giants fan I'm enjoying the start of the season a lot. Last season was pretty frustrating with our great rotation never getting enough run support, but so far this year the offense has improved dramatically and gotten runs when it's mattered. Nate Shierholtz has been particularly awesome batting something like .400 when he hits in the 8 spot. Pablo Sandoval hasn't had a good start but we're still winning games with the overall improvement.

Add Zito having the best start to the season of his career (my current favorite player on the roster) to Jonathan Sanchez being more consistent, and things look really good for us. The one thing that seems to be doing worse this year is the bullpen, who have given up a few games or almost done so and given Lincecum no decisions that should've been wins.

Don't mean to brag, but here's the rotation right now:
Tim Lincecum: 4-0 (3 ND), 1.86 ERA, 64 Ks (leads MLB)
Barry Zito: 5-0 (1 ND), 1.49 ERA, 28 Ks
Matt Cain: 2-1 (3 ND), 2.79 ERA, 30 Ks
Jonathan Sanchez: 2-2 (2 ND), 3.00 ERA, 40 Ks
Todd Wellemeyer (the only blemish): 1-3 (2 ND), 5.97 ERA, 22 Ks

All the no decisions show how weak our bullpen has been at times. I wish they would be more grateful of the ridiculously dominant lineup that they follow.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Red Sox... man they been sucking. Tommorow they are facing the Yanks.

This isn't going to be good.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
Red Sox... man they been sucking. Tommorow they are facing the Yanks.

This isn't going to be good.
Grr, fucking Yankees, how I despise them so. My Twins FINALLY managed to beat them today though.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
Grr, fucking Yankees, how I despise them so. My Twins FINALLY managed to beat them today though.
That great news. However the Sox lost to the Tigers.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
Funny, I thought it was hilarious that he did this the day after. At least he let them win it first, he could have taken the spotlight earlier and ruined the world series.

Anways, no biggy... Red Sox won and I'm glad baseball is over since it really isn't a sport, just a glorified game. Not much harder then the likes of Monopoly and Jenga.
It's a sport and has the toughest thing in sports. Hitting a 90 mph fastball.

Last edited by John@$$; 06-01-2010 at 05:50 AM..
Old 06-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Twins sweep the Rangers! And they beat Seattle tonight. Sorry Detroit
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
Twins sweep the Rangers! And they beat Seattle tonight. Sorry Detroit
Damn you. If Verlander and Porcello ever started to pitch like they're capable they'd make it close. I'm still happy they're above .500, wasn't expecting too much this year.

So how bout that Ubaldo Jimenez? Good God, we're witnessing one of the greatest starts in baseball history.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Don't know much about baseball, but I do know the team near me(The Orioles) SUCK!!!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Is it possible to get 28 outs in a perfect game? What a terrible fucking call tonight in the Tigers game.

Last edited by labialover; 06-02-2010 at 11:22 PM..
Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labialover View Post
So how bout that Ubaldo Jimenez? Good God, we're witnessing one of the greatest starts in baseball history.
What he's doing is just insane. His command of the strike zone is so much better than it was last year. He's always had the tools (great stuff, effortless release, takes power deep into the game) but was a bit too one-dimensional and somewhat afraid to challenge hitters. Now, he almost has a Halladay-like mentality: I'm pounding the strike zone because I know you can't hit my best stuff... deal with it. I also like the versatility in his pitches. I remember watching him against the Phils in the postseason last year, crushed both times, as the Phillies just waited for fastballs and teed off. Now, he's much more accurate with his fastball, and his offspeed stuff complements it perfectly.

I predict he'll slow down though. That's not a knock on him... it's just the fact that there's nowhere to go but down from here. I predict he'll finish with an ERA hovering at 2.00 and about 23 wins.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 06-02-2010 at 09:54 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Biggest fuck up call in MLB history? Man, I just felt gross after seeing that. Really sick to my stomach. Even if the dude had been safe by a millisecond (or if it was too close to call) then it should have been an out. 1 out to go in the 9th inning of a perfect game? It better be a fucking clean hit to the outfield. I actually feel semi-bad for the umpire though. He seems really shaken by it. He and Galarraga had a classy exchange today which was nice to see. Galarraga seems to be taking it well. Good on him, I know I wouldn't be taking it well.

I know that replays are often time consuming, especially for baseball, but for a situation like this it would be really nice if they were allowed to review it before making an official call.

New MLB rule: with one out to go in a perfect game, close calls at first base are allowed to be reviewed.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I think the ump went by sound. That is what is usually done with plays to first. They physically can not see two things like that at once. The problem is the ball was not caught cleaning. There was no pop. It was first caught in the front webbing and then the sweet spot. He heard the pop of the runner before the one in the glove.

But still, he should have just given the pitcher the benefit of doubt and called him out. They do it everyday with hitters and pitchers. A great hitter or pitcher will get the benefit of doubt on close pitches.

No replays on calls like that. Even if it could be the last play of the game.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Neither are that many people in this forum, judging from the number of posts in this thread compared to those in the other 3 major pro sports league threads.
Well i'm not surpise about the NFL and NBA having more posts but the NHL...
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Texas, what are you doing? Dumping 4 prospects for a guy who isn't going to sign with you at the end of the season? You aren't going to win the World Series, so why wouldn't you keep your prospects and continue to grow like you have over the past couple of seasons?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Texas, what are you doing? Dumping 4 prospects for a guy who isn't going to sign with you at the end of the season? You aren't going to win the World Series, so why wouldn't you keep your prospects and continue to grow like you have over the past couple of seasons?
Because their divison is weak as fuck, and they get 2 draft picks when Lee signs with someone else.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
and they get 2 draft picks when Lee signs with someone else.
Huh, didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. I still think it's a bit of a dumb move. I feel kind of bad for Lee. He's been jerked around for the past couple of years and I think he was looking forward to being traded to a team that he would sign with at the end of the season.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I am glad the Yankees did not get him......yet. I would rather keep our prospects and sing him next year when Javier goes. I like our pitching and don't need Lee. Barring injury. I think Texas plans on trying to sign him if they get a new owner before free agent season starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
Because their divison is weak as fuck, and they get 2 draft picks when Lee signs with someone else.
2? really?? I thought it was 1 pick at the end of the first round? To me, draft picks like this don't matter much. It is very hard to predict who will pan out or not. Baseball drafts are not like football or hockey.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
2? really?? I thought it was 1 pick at the end of the first round? To me, draft picks like this don't matter much. It is very hard to predict who will pan out or not. Baseball drafts are not like football or hockey.
I believe it is 2 since Lee will be classified as an A class free agent I remember the Jays got the same thing when Scutaro left.

And I think Texas might be making a big mistake I like Lee a lot but his history in Texas in that stadium which isn't a pitchers park isn't good I do like the bold move becuase if there is any year to hold off the Angels this is it since 2 teams from the AL East will make the playoffs again it looks like.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM
George Steinbrenner has died, according to multiple reports.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Yeah, he died of a heart attack.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
And he did.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Can't say I'll miss the ol' bastard, seeing as he was monumental in turning baseball into what it is today... i.e. who can throw the most money at the best players. Nonetheless, I hope the family is coping all right with the loss.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Is 250 wins the new automatic for a hall of famer pitcher? Especially considering many of todays older players, like Mussina, Pettitte and Pedro all pitched in the steriod years.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
So i am a big Baltimore Orioles fan... and this season (as basically every other season) is really hard to watch!

I don't know what can be done at this point, i thought with Tejada coming back we may start heading in the right direction, but it just hasn't really happened! Now that Markakis is back from injury maybe we can get somewhat back on track, but with the Twins series going down the way it did, i doubt it!

I'd just like to see them in the playoffs within the next few seasons, that would be nice!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
So i am a big Baltimore Orioles fan... and this season (as basically every other season) is really hard to watch!

I don't know what can be done at this point, i thought with Tejada coming back we may start heading in the right direction, but it just hasn't really happened! Now that Markakis is back from injury maybe we can get somewhat back on track, but with the Twins series going down the way it did, i doubt it!

I'd just like to see them in the playoffs within the next few seasons, that would be nice!
Oriole fan eh? Then you'll find no pleasure in hearing that I'm a Twins fan, hehe.

I can't believe how beast the Twins have been the past few days. Have you guys seen their numbers since the all star break, holy fuck.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM
for all my suffering met brethren. just designed this http://sincerelegends.com/guys.html

no spam
Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Trading Tejada hurt me man.. it hurt me bad!!

I enjoy the guy, he is a good ball player.. but the biggest thing that hurts is:

I bought a Tejada Jersey back when he was originally with us, when he was Number 10... then he left, and i didnt wear my jersey as much... then he came back, and was Number 9, but that didnt stop me, my Tejada jersey was back in rotation.. now he is with the fucking Padres and my Jersey is useless again!

this mid season trade deadline.. i dont much care for it. But i guess now Tejada will make the playoffs as the Padres are doing pretty good. as tehre was ZERO chance for him making the playoffs with the Orioles!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Trading Tejada hurt me man.. it hurt me bad!!

I enjoy the guy, he is a good ball player.. but the biggest thing that hurts is:

I bought a Tejada Jersey back when he was originally with us, when he was Number 10... then he left, and i didnt wear my jersey as much... then he came back, and was Number 9, but that didnt stop me, my Tejada jersey was back in rotation.. now he is with the fucking Padres and my Jersey is useless again!

this mid season trade deadline.. i dont much care for it. But i guess now Tejada will make the playoffs as the Padres are doing pretty good. as tehre was ZERO chance for him making the playoffs with the Orioles!
I can't believe you wasted your money on anything that says Orioles on it. Talk about a piss poor team, geez! When are they going to smarten up and let Dempsey manage? Buck is not the answer.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I can't believe you wasted your money on anything that says Orioles on it. Talk about a piss poor team, geez! When are they going to smarten up and let Dempsey manage? Buck is not the answer.
At least they're not the Pirates. And, hey, they've actually been pretty good since Showalter took over! So, SkyNet, there may be hope for your O's in the future.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to see my Twins are back on top in the AL Central, and the Tigers are now basically lying down, leaving only the ChiSox for us to contend with (no problem).
Old 08-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
At least they're not the Pirates. And, hey, they've actually been pretty good since Showalter took over! So, SkyNet, there may be hope for your O's in the future.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to see my Twins are back on top in the AL Central, and the Tigers are now basically lying down, leaving only the ChiSox for us to contend with (no problem).
The Pirates are in a whole other league.

The O's will flop again at the start of next year. During this streak, they have played a sorry ass tanking Angels team, a titanic White Sux team, sorry ass Cleveland and now Tampa who have been ice cold since beating the Yanks 2 of 3 like 2 weeks ago. Let's see how they finish the year or this month with many games against the beasts of the east left.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Did you all here about Moneyball? They had the Oakland coliseum closed a couple of weeks ago because they were filming 'Moneyball', which is the story of the Oakland Athletics. I hear they are even putting the 20 game winning streak in the movie. It's going to be a pretty big movie since Brad Pitt is playing Billy Beane and it's being made by Steven Soderbergh. Hopefully, it will at least get them a new ballpark. I mean if the san diego padres and the pittsburgh pirates got one I don't see what the hold up is.

The A's will be a great team soon. They are taking steps towards that but I'm not sure if Geren is the right choice for manager. I think he is one of the worst, if not, the worst managers in baseball. At times, it seems like the A's are not just playing against the other team but have to battle against their own manager as well. As soon as a hitter gets hot he pulls them out of the lineup. Isn't it his job to motivate his players? I seriously hope it isn't a move by the people in charge to get a manger who wil fail just so they can move the team out of Oakland. I myself am kind of torn between the two sides since one of their relocations may be San Jose, california. That's where I'm from and it would be nice to have them there but that may not even happen so I think winning as soon as possible is the right thing to do.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 PM
The story doesn't sound that interesting(moneyball). I might wait and see the trailer but the story isn't a baseball story I'm interested in.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
I am interested in how they can turn that book into a movie. I read half the book. It is not really like a story. It is more like theories and ideas. I hope they are sure to mention that more than half the team was on roids. That might have something to do with the A's success, rather than the concepts of Moneyball.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Lol, Clemens. What goes around, comes around.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM
That what he got and he deserve it in my opinion. First Rafael Palmeiro, Mcgwire, and now Clemens.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Don't care about any of these witch trials about roid users. I believe 80% of the league was on something they aren't anymore. It is a pretty stupid waste of time and money to worry about these people. So what they lied to congress. Is that something new there? How do you think the recession happened and then we were given all these stimulas packages, bailing out all these banks and businesses, ect. They all lied about something.

Now baseball is pretty clean and let's move on from this era of cheaters.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Twins sweep the Rangers... again! What a crazy game. It shouldn't have been as close as it was at the end there, Capps really blew it big time... doesn't deserve the save he was credited with IMO.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Twins clinch AL Central!!!! October here we come, baby!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Red Sox... disappointing. The team out of the race for the first time since 06. With the injuries on the team and Yanks/Rays playing well, this season makes it difficult season for my Sox. Last night they got killed by the Orioles(the worst team in baseball). Oh well there always next season.

I will watch the playoffs however.

Last edited by John@$$; 09-22-2010 at 05:52 AM..
Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 PM
A great pregame ceremony tonight for Cito Gaston his last home game as Blue Jays manager and the best manager we have ever had and one of the all-time greats. Great to see some of the other great Blue Jays that played on some of those teams Joe Carter, Devon White as well.

A true player's manager and a great way to go out with a victory too.

We have some pieces there but some ways to go still to catch 3 teams ahead of us although I see Tampa pulling a Florida Marlins in the next 2 years seriously how does a 1st place team draw 20,000 or less and have almost 20,000 plus empty seats almost every night I don't get it.

And also if Felix Hernandez dosen't win the AL Cy Young award the bias writers that vote on it deserve to have their vote revoked. Its not his fault the Mariners have one of the most god awful offenses of all time. Look at the other stats besides the wins and its not even close.