Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM
There is no god: Jesus Camp

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

7/10

Spirt in the sky? Not in what I saw in this disturbing but good documentary. This movie had some flaws like editing but it was well done and scary. Maybe the on-air didn't need to be on the screen more than once. Anyway I will share on what is wrong with people like this. First off Becky Fischer was talking about how she wants to get rid of war and was saying not to be fat, when she huge and likes Bush. There a scene where she brings out a cardboard cutout for the children to see and said "One nation under god" was disturbing. Another disturbing thing was about how the children couldn't learn evolution and global wanning. Now I know what wrong with people like the parents in this movie. Maybe the same people about the Kansas schools not studding evolution.

I recommend it.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
The documentary is a great argument for why religion stunts the growth in our brain. Brainwashing children in to believing this tripe is beyond abusive and damaging. The whole movie surrounds a cult dressed as a simple camp and it's quite disgusting. Shocking movie.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Well, Terminal, we may not agree about the SW prequels, but we DO agree about this film. It's even scarier than the scariest horror movie I've ever seen.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:30 PM
To everyone who appreciated Jesus Camp, I suggest its even more objective and disturbing predecessor, Holy Ghost People, which can be watched free at the Internet Archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/HolyGhostPeople

Besides preferring the verite approach for material like this, I think the key difference is that the subjects in HGP seem sincere while only the children in Jesus Camp strike me as anything but hypocritical shills (see: Ted Haggard).
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
To everyone who appreciated Jesus Camp, I suggest its even more objective and disturbing predecessor, Holy Ghost People, which can be watched free at the Internet Archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/HolyGhostPeople

Besides preferring the verite approach for material like this, I think the key difference is that the subjects in HGP seem sincere while only the children in Jesus Camp strike me as anything but hypocritical shills (see: Ted Haggard).
Sounds like a another scary documentary. If I have time I will watch the movie QUENTIN. I found the people in the movie like Ted Haggard and Becky Fischer big hypocrites in the movie.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 PM
And I like to know, what was that cartoon about evolution on the tv called? It has a creepy feel like the movie was showing it.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM
A scary and well done movie that clearly displays the problem with this particular cult.

Quote:
Brainwashing children in to believing this tripe is beyond abusive and damaging.
I agree, although brainwashing children to believe anything is abusive and damaging in my mind. I don't think this movie intends to or should in any sense define evangelical Christians as a whole.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM
AceD , what are your thoughts on the politics of this movie? I agree with the talk show guy about how religion has gone too far into how country's politics. I don't know about other countries political systems but I think there some religious influence as well.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
AceD , what are your thoughts on the politics of this movie? I agree with the talk show guy about how religion has gone too far into how country's politics. I don't know about other countries political systems but I think there some religious influence as well.
Johnny, I'm feeling like that discussion could get outta hand quick. Maybe in the politics forum?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 AM
A fantastic and deeply frightening and disturbing doc. Definitely one of the scariest movies out there. It still boggles my mind that people like this actually exist, in America no less. Quentin, the other documentary sounds interesting. I'll be sure to check it out. This subject truly fascinates me.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I think once you watch this movie, you will understand who voted for Bush in 04 or 00. I agree with AceD about talking the movie politics in the politics forum.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
And I like to know, what was that cartoon about evolution on the tv called? It has a creepy feel like the movie was showing it.
Anyone? It's the scene when Levi was at his home. Was that real or did his mom make that cartoom?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Anyone? It's the scene when Levi was at his home. Was that real or did his mom make that cartoom?
There are lots of independently produced videos made by churches to sell to their members for stuff just like this. I'm sure no one here will know what it is.

As for this documentary, yeah, it was pretty creepy. Especially for me, as the church featured is actually not to far from where I live. However, there was one scene that gave me hope that not all these kids are buying into this crap.

Remember when that one kid was talking to a group of kids saying that his mom didn't let him watch "bad movies" (IE, Harry Potter, or whatever else they didn't think kids should watch), but then he laughed and said his dad let him watch whatever he wanted? (Apparently his parents were divorced.) I think a lot of kids will be like that. The more they are told not to do something, the more they will want it.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I was thinking about you Badbird when the scene saying I can't remember town that was a suburb of Kanas City. This was the same place that didn't want to teach evolution right? Like when I readed this poll on Charles birthday and 4 out of 10 people believe in evolution.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 PM
This is a movie I refuse to see only because I know that if there is a weak blood vessel in my brain this movie will induce the aneurysm that makes it known.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Quote:
I was thinking about you Badbird when the scene saying I can't remember town that was a suburb of Kanas City. This was the same place that didn't want to teach evolution right? Like when I readed this poll on Charles birthday and 4 out of 10 people believe in evolution.
The Kansas School Board tried to weaken the teaching of evolution back in 1999. That board was quickly ousted and the next board restored the science standards back to normal.

The crazy lady from Jesus Camp has a church in Lee's Summit, which is actually over on the Missouri side. But that area is serious Mormon country because that is the exact spot predicted to be the Garden of Eden after the second coming.

I am not making that up.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 AM
to be fair, I live maybe 5 hours from Devi'ls Lake, ND, where the actual camp was, and I've never met anyone like this. These people are extremists and awful people. I'm a Christian and this movie made me so angry that I had to pause it and let off some steam about midway through because of how wrong these people are. Not all Christians are like this, I promise you.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
The Kansas School Board tried to weaken the teaching of evolution back in 1999. That board was quickly ousted and the next board restored the science standards back to normal.

The crazy lady from Jesus Camp has a church in Lee's Summit, which is actually over on the Missouri side. But that area is serious Mormon country because that is the exact spot predicted to be the Garden of Eden after the second coming.

I am not making that up.
I would have to see this place if I ever go here. This shit is just scary. At least Kansas School Board didn't weaken the teaching of evolution. I just looked up the Garden of Eden on Google and nothing came up about this topic.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Here is a lengthy but good article about it:

http://www.pitch.com/2007-09-06/news...arden-of-eden/
Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Very interesting article Badbird. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I am a Christian and this film disturbed the hell outta me. Just so's you people know these people are NOT Christians but lunatics who think they know what the hell they're talking about. It's disgusting.