Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Who is the REAL America team?

We have all heard it once about the Dallas Cowboys being Americas team. This nickname came around Super Bowl 12 win over the Denver Broncos and Bob Rylan(not Boston Globe writer) said the famous name in a NFL Film about the team year. The Alanta Braves have been called America team too. Here is the full history of how this name started up.


Bob Ryan, now Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys while preparing and editing the team’s 1978 season highlight film.[8] He was quoted as saying:

I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television.
Ryan told the NFL Network, for their Top Ten Nicknames show:

I saw all these fans in away stadiums. Hey, they're the most popular team in the country. How can I use that? Why don't we call them "America's Team"?
During the Cowboys' first game of the 1979 season, a nationally televised game against the St. Louis Cardinals (Dallas won 22-21), the television announcer for CBS introduced the Cowboys as America’s Team and the name stuck.

Dallas' Hall of Fame coach Tom Landry originally did not approve of the appellation of America's Team. He felt that it would give opposing teams extra incentive to play harder. Eventually he gave in and actually came to like the name



The Atlanta Braves laid claim to the name due to their games being broadcast on cable television systems nationwide on WTBS, building a fan base in areas of the United States far removed from a Major League Baseball team. A 1982 issue of Sports Illustrated had referred to the Braves as "America's Team II".

Franchises with long successful histories and large nationwide fan bases are occasionally referred to as America's Team. The most prominent example is probably the New York Yankees, who rose to prominence in the United States in the 1920s.

As a jab against the Cowboys before Super Bowl XXVII, Buffalo Bills coach Marv Levy proclaimed his team to be America's Team because they would be "wearing red, white, and blue". Dallas however would get the last laugh and go on to beat Buffalo 52-17.

Pittsburgh Steelers owner Art Rooney dismissed the suggestion that the Steelers were "America's Team." "'We didn't want that,' Rooney said. 'We're Pittsburgh's team. We feel strongly about that.'"

In an ESPN.com article titled, "The Great Debate: 'America's Team'," four sports writers stated their case as to why three other teams besides the Cowboys could lay claim to the nickname of America's Team.

James Walker said the name should be given to the Steelers since they have the most Super Bowl wins at six.
Kevin Seifert said that the Green Bay Packers could be considered America's Team due to their unique ownership situation. They "are now owned by 112,120 shareholders who possess about 4.75 million shares of stock. A seven-member executive committee, elected by the board of directors and comprised mostly of local residents, operates the team."
Tim Graham said the New England Patriots have a right at the name since they dominated the NFL for the entire first decade of the new millennium, by virtue of their team name and colors (red, white and blue) and having been formed in Boston, the "Cradle of Liberty".
Following their win in Super Bowl XLIV, a few media writers referred to the New Orleans Saints as "America's Team", as their successful bid to win the Super Bowl was seen by many to represent the city's resurgence after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina ("for one game, the Saints are America's Team").


All from wiki article. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc..._hmRe4i0unU-QA

So out of any sports team in the United States Of America pro or not, who your pick for America team? My pick goes to USA Oympics sports teams.

Last edited by John@$$; 08-18-2010 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 PM
It's obviously the US Soccer team. Why? Because unlike our Olympic teams, they are UNDERDOGS. There's somethig special about being united in pulling for a team that isn't expected to do much. It's rare for an American team to not be among the world's best, and it's great to see them grow and reach an elite level (hopefully). It's like watching children grow up. We're all invested in them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
It's obviously the US Soccer team. Why? Because unlike our Olympic teams, they are UNDERDOGS. There's somethig special about being united in pulling for a team that isn't expected to do much. It's rare for an American team to not be among the world's best, and it's great to see them grow and reach an elite level (hopefully). It's like watching children grow up. We're all invested in them.
Um, no. We may pull for them every four years, but they are a second tier team at best. They created some thrilling moments but they are by no means American heroes, unlike all that bullshit they spew out at the ESPYs.

The 1992 Dream Team is the best representation I can think of for American sports. Those guys really were heroes. Same goes for the 1980 hockey team.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM
The Dream Team and Miracle On Ice teams of the Olympics would have more of my vote for the title of America team instead of USA soccer World Cup team(football for you overseas schmoes). And if were talking about teams in the NFL that should have the name instead of the Cowboys, here my choices.


Washington Redskins: Play in the most important part of the country.


New England Patriots: Red, white, & blue, and was part of a important war.

Last edited by John@$$; 09-17-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
Um, no. We may pull for them every four years, but they are a second tier team at best. They created some thrilling moments but they are by no means American heroes, unlike all that bullshit they spew out at the ESPYs.

The 1992 Dream Team is the best representation I can think of for American sports. Those guys really were heroes. Same goes for the 1980 hockey team.
Precisely. The biggest joke about the hype around the US soccer team -- who play a sport I love -- is that we lost in the round of 16. We were the #14 team going into the tourney, and Ghana was ranked #32. At best we reached our minimum, at worst we underachieved by at least a game. Were there thrilling moments? Without question. But frankly, within a year 99% of Americans and most sports fans won't care anymore. Darth makes some good points in that the underdog component is attractive to us, but I simply don't think the US team will catch on in a major way in non-WC years.

I think that nowadays "America's Team" is necessarily in flux. Right now, it's probably the Saints -- unless you're a die-hard Vikes or Indy guy, you're fine with them being the champs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Definitely not the Cowboys unless you consider America to represent overpaid underachievers. Screw Dallas.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 PM
It's absolutely not the Giants.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
Washington Redskins: Play in the most important part of the country.
Landover, Maryland?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
Precisely. The biggest joke about the hype around the US soccer team -- who play a sport I love -- is that we lost in the round of 16. We were the #14 team going into the tourney, and Ghana was ranked #32.
Yeah, that's the point... They're underdogs. We collectively pull for them unlike any other team, and we're watching them grow.

You can't name a team right now that has a bigger following of casual fans who genuinely get caught up in the madness (people wanted to go to war with Algeria after that game... everyone was into it, hard). '92 Dream Team? Are you kidding me? Everyone knew what was going to happen. It was boring. Miracle On Ice team has the same effect as the US Soccer team, but obviously took it to another level by actually winning (and beating our rivals in the process). They would obviously win, but I assumed the question was for current teams, so I didn't include them.

US Soccer is exciting because we pull together for a team that, quite frankly, isn't great yet, but we hope they will get there. They are to the US what the Browns are to Cleveland.

"America's Team" has nothing to do with being great or becoming heroes. We're not talking about "America's BEST Team," just "America's Team." It's about a team that we, as a country, pull for. I don't think it's close right now. Key phrase, of course, is "right now."

"Right now" is important for 2 reasons. First, as aforementioned, it means we don't count the 1980 Lake Placid team. And also, it takes into account that yes, this was a World Cup year. I was at the new Giants Stadium last Tuesday for the Brazil friendly. The crowd was amazing. Yeah, maybe we still have World Cup Fever, but I honestly feel that watching them take on a juggernaut (although it wasn't Brazil's best, but whatever, they're still great) means something to this country that we haven't experienced in a long, long time. It's not just about the Cup, it's about watching us struggle and grow together to accomplish something.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 08-19-2010 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Yeah, that's the point... They're underdogs. We collectively pull for them unlike any other team, and we're watching them grow.
My point is that they underperformed. They didn't go any further than they should have. An underdog only takes hold if they can pull the upset, and the US didn't come close to doing that. They lost to a worse team on the biggest stage.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondFiction View Post
Landover, Maryland?
Ok I should of have expect it better. There name is part of Washington DC out national capital.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 View Post
Definitely not the Cowboys unless you consider America to represent overpaid underachievers. Screw Dallas.

It wouldn't be the Giants. What makes you think there the REAL America's team? Now if this had to do with huge fan following in most of the country, here are my teams non world events.


NFL:

Dallas Cowboys

Pittsburgh Steelers

Green Bay Packers


MLB:

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Chicago Cubs


NBA:

Los Angeles Lakers



Chicago Bulls(90's)



NHL:


Detroit Red Wings


Pittsburgh Penguins




Now I wouldn't call any of them this title unless were talking about huge fan followings in the United States. COllege sports are tougher since home games are almost all home team fans but I'm sure some vistor fans slip right to the arena or stadium.

Last edited by John@$$; 08-21-2010 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Oh and how could I forget about thoses Saints. They are marching there way to this title with what happend to the city of NOLA.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Yeah, that's the point... They're underdogs. We collectively pull for them unlike any other team, and we're watching them grow.

You can't name a team right now that has a bigger following of casual fans who genuinely get caught up in the madness (people wanted to go to war with Algeria after that game... everyone was into it, hard). '92 Dream Team? Are you kidding me? Everyone knew what was going to happen. It was boring. Miracle On Ice team has the same effect as the US Soccer team, but obviously took it to another level by actually winning (and beating our rivals in the process). They would obviously win, but I assumed the question was for current teams, so I didn't include them.

US Soccer is exciting because we pull together for a team that, quite frankly, isn't great yet, but we hope they will get there. They are to the US what the Browns are to Cleveland.

"America's Team" has nothing to do with being great or becoming heroes. We're not talking about "America's BEST Team," just "America's Team." It's about a team that we, as a country, pull for. I don't think it's close right now. Key phrase, of course, is "right now."
You'd rather be represented by an underperforming soccer team than a team that actually shows the best that America is made of? A team that shows America as a beacon of athletic success, not a bunch of guys who showed heart but not a whole lot else? Also, who other than yourself says that it has to be an underdog team? That's such a stupid rule.

The Yankees are the closest thing I can think of to being an "American" team, if you forget the fact that they are equally despised and that baseball has taken a huge plunge. The Saints had their moment in the sun, but people are fickle so that'll probably change if they don't win next year.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
You'd rather be represented by an underperforming soccer team than a team that actually shows the best that America is made of? A team that shows America as a beacon of athletic success, not a bunch of guys who showed heart but not a whole lot else? Also, who other than yourself says that it has to be an underdog team? That's such a stupid rule.

The Yankees are the closest thing I can think of to being an "American" team, if you forget the fact that they are equally despised and that baseball has taken a huge plunge. The Saints had their moment in the sun, but people are fickle so that'll probably change if they don't win next year.
What is your definition of "America's Team" exactly? Read the first post in this thread. The person coined the term "America's Team" based on popularity and fan following. Dominance wasn't a factor. Neither is the amount of "heroes" they had.

I don't take it as the team that represents American culture (in that case, it would have to be the Yankees, right?), or a team that is utterly dominant and reminds everyone that the US is a powerhouse athletically. I take it as a team that American people universally care about. So who cares if they're great? That's irrelevant to the following they generate from sports fans and casual fans alike. Look at cities: the Red Sox will always be Boston's team, no matter how great the Celtics were in the 80's or the mini-Pats' dynasty was. I don't see how winning matters when it comes to passionate fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
My point is that they underperformed. They didn't go any further than they should have. An underdog only takes hold if they can pull the upset, and the US didn't come close to doing that. They lost to a worse team on the biggest stage.
That's valid, but everyone went along for the ride, which is more than I can say about most teams, even on an international stage. And any international friendly we play, we'll be along for the ride again (including last Tuesday... crowd was GREAT).

Did they break our hearts? Yeah, that was a poor way to go out. But it doesn't mean we won't be watching their every move, convincing ourselves they're getting better.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 08-19-2010 at 11:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
What is your definition of "America's Team" exactly? Read the first post in this thread. The person coined the term "America's Team" based on popularity and fan following. Dominance wasn't a factor. Neither is the amount of "heroes" they had.
I read the first post quite thoroughly. That wasn't quite what I gathered from it. By your definition, the '62 Mets were "America's Team."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
I read the first post quite thoroughly. That wasn't quite what I gathered from it. By your definition, the '62 Mets were "America's Team."
From the first post: I saw all these fans in away stadiums. Hey, they're the most popular team in the country. How can I use that? Why don't we call them "America's Team"?

It's popularity, not dominance. At least, according to the guy who coined the phrase. So I'm going by his definition.

And for the record, I never said the team HAD to be underdogs, but I do think that strongly contributes to the following of casual fans (I feel they collectively pull for the underdog).

And the '62 Mets are a great choice, but again, I'm talking about right now (which is why I didn't include the 1980 Lake Placid team, which I admitted eariler would easily be America's Team). So right now, I don't see any team with a following any where near as wide and diverse as the US soccer following.

If we go by what i think your definition is (you haven't explicitly explained it, but I think I'm following) the only choice is the Yankees. They're dominant, and they represent America and what we stand for better than any other team: the fact that they play America's Past-time helps, and of course their capitalistic approach to the sports.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 08-20-2010 at 12:11 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
From the first post: I saw all these fans in away stadiums. Hey, they're the most popular team in the country. How can I use that? Why don't we call them "America's Team"?

It's popularity, not dominance. At least, according to the guy who coined the phrase. So I'm going by his definition.

And for the record, I never said the team HAD to be underdogs, but I do think that strongly contributes to the following of casual fans (I feel they collectively pull for the underdog).

And the '62 Mets are a great choice, but again, I'm talking about right now (which is why I didn't include the 1980 Lake Placid team, which I admitted eariler would easily be America's Team). So right now, I don't see any team with a following any where near as wide and diverse as the US soccer following.

If we go by what i think your definition is (you haven't explicitly explained it, but I think I'm following) the only choice is the Yankees. They're dominant, and they represent America and what we stand for better than any other team: the fact that they play America's Past-time helps, and of course their capitalistic approach to the sports.

The Yankees could be a good choice(as much as I hate them), but there just as much hated as they are loved.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
What is your definition of "America's Team" exactly? Read the first post in this thread. The person coined the term "America's Team" based on popularity and fan following. Dominance wasn't a factor. Neither is the amount of "heroes" they had.

I don't take it as the team that represents American culture (in that case, it would have to be the Yankees, right?), or a team that is utterly dominant and reminds everyone that the US is a powerhouse athletically. I take it as a team that American people universally care about. So who cares if they're great? That's irrelevant to the following they generate from sports fans and casual fans alike. Look at cities: the Red Sox will always be Boston's team, no matter how great the Celtics were in the 80's or the mini-Pats' dynasty was. I don't see how winning matters when it comes to passionate fans.



From what I've read, the Bruins were bigger than the Sox in the early-mid 70's, until the Red World Series.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-21-2010, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't called the 62 Mets were America team either. Maybe the 69 Mets but not the 62 Mets. What Darth Kenshin said about American people universally care about, there lot of people out there that think sports are as fun as watching paint dry. The casual fans would like whatever is talk on ESPN or the teams I named.

Last edited by John@$$; 08-21-2010 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 AM
Even Cowboys fans roll their eyes at this discussion. As if a NICKNAME was some kind of trophy to be placed on the mantle next to MVPs and Championships.

It's not.

It's just a name given to us many years ago. It'd be like arguing over which team should be called "Da Bears" or which defense should be the "Steel Curtain".

The ONLY reason people talk about it is because, news flash, it's the Dallas Cowboys. You love them or hate them, but you always talk about them.

Which is why they're America's Team. :P
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-22-2010, 10:12 AM
People like to talk about the Patriots the same way as the Dallas Cowboys. Oakland was that way along time ago. Ok reason but I'm iffy on what you said there.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Someone please show me a quote or give me a link to where I stated that the Giants are America's team. I put the ring up to show my team. I never once said they were America's team. So before we go disrespecting each other's teams let's get all the facts straight.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Well you think the Giants are America's team and people on here want to know why Sgizzy. It makes us thinking why you choose them besides liking them.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm going to go on record here. Write it down, take a picture, do what you gotta do but I DO NOT THINK THE GIANTS ARE AMERICA'S TEAM. I am from NY and thus like the Giants. I hate Dallas because we are rivals and the way they conduct themselves. They might have been America's team in the 90's but that overrated group that they have now is nowhere deserving of that sort of title.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-24-2010, 03:04 PM
That make scene to hate the Cowboys. They are rivals of your Giants. Hell the whole NFC East is one big hated rivals against each other. In my opinion the America's team of the 90's were the CHICAGO BULLS IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-25-2010, 12:14 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11596449


Steel is blast-furnace tough. Steel is durable. Steel is heavy-duty. Steel is strong. Steel is iron.

Steel is the Pittsburgh football team.

No other NFL team embodies the city in which it plays, and the people it plays for, as well as the Steelers do. In hard times, think hard-hitting, hard-nosed, hard-charging, hard-headed. Think Steelers.

Terrible Towel, Steel Curtain, bitter cold, Mean Joe Greene, The Bus, Franco, the Immaculate Reception, Big Ben, steel-jawed Bill Cowher, Jack Lambert.

Pittsburgh will win an NFL-record sixth Super Bowl today and truly be America's Team.

Not the dysfunctional Cowboys or the ex-"dynasty" Patriots or Joe Montana's 49ers or the "Team of the Decades" Raiders, and certainly not the Broncos, last decade's news.

The Steelers have played in the Super Bowl in the 1970s, the 1980s, the 1990s and the 2000s. There have been great defenses, great quarterbacks, great catches, great Super Bowls against the Cowboys and great finishes.

And a not-so-great movie, "Black Sunday," which was filmed at a Super Bowl and featured a blimp implanted with a bomb by terrorists (long before there was a real terrorist threat) landing on the field during a Steelers-Cowboys title game.

Pittsburgh joined the NFL on July 8, 1933, when a horse player named Art Rooney put up a few thousand dollars and put all his proceeds from tickets sales in a cigar box. The team was originally known as the Pirates, like the baseball team.

But, in 1940, the team became the Steelers, as it should. Pittsburgh, at the confluence of three rivers, was a hard-driving steel town. The Steelers adopted the emblem, plastered on just one side of the helmet, of United States Steel.

In the 1970s the steel mills began to shut down, and tens of thousands of steel workers were laid off, and Pittsburgh took a mighty blow.

When a dying city needed a break, a hope, a light, the Steelers came through, winning the Super Bowl on Jan.


12, 1975. And they kept winning — four Super Bowls (IX, X, XIII, XIV) in six seasons.
Pittsburgh pulled through and pushed up, shifting to new service industries.

According to Dan Rooney, who took over as owner from his father and has passed the chief executive's role to his son Art Rooney II, NFL Films once wanted to name the Steelers "America's Team." But Rooney replied: "No, we're just Pittsburgh's team."

Terry Bradshaw has long gone to TV; 16 former players and coaches have been inducted into the Hall of Fame, and too many Steelers greats have passed on too early.

But the next generation of Steelers won the Super Bowl three years ago, and the Steelers of Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, James Harrison and Hines Ward are back, just when the entire country, not just Pittsburgh, needs a little push and a big pull.

President Barack Obama has admitted openly in the past week that he is cheering for the Steelers.

The Steelers are hard bark, firm bite.

The Arizona Cardinals are a good team and a nice story, but they are a one-trick redbird.

The Steelers represent what's right about the NFL, what's right about Pittsburgh, what's right about America. They work hard; they play hard; they win in mud, snow and rain. "We're not flashy. We carry a lunch bucket, just like everybody else," Ward says. They've got a tough-love young coach, a rock-solid quarterback and a defense that's first in pass defense, second in run defense. They zone blitz and




force turnovers and strike hard.
The Steelers have been selected the most popular local pro team in the major sports leagues. They've sold out every game since 1972.

The Steelers defense is anchored on the line by Aaron Smith, of Colorado Springs and the University of Northern Colorado; at linebacker by Harrison, the NFL's defensive player of the year; and in the secondary by Polamalu, the dynamic Samoan-American safety.

The Super Bowl will be low-scoring, and it will be fun to watch, and the Cardinals will be hanging around, and the outcome will be decided late, but the Steelers will win 24-17.

The Steelers will be world champions when the game is over. They are the men of Steel.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 View Post
Definitely not the Cowboys unless you consider America to represent overpaid underachievers. Screw Dallas.
The Yankees are America's team. The Yankees have fans all over the country in mass. The Yankees lead every year in road attendence.

The Cowboys are a close second. I hate it, but it is true. They had so the 60's and 70's where they massed a huge, broad fan base all over the country. They also had the 90's. Now they are overpaid underachievers, but they are very popular as well.

Both teams are America's teams. No one else is even in the same league as them. The Lakers are not even close. No hockey team comes close.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
The Yankees are America's team. The Yankees have fans all over the country in mass. The Yankees lead every year in road attendence.

The Cowboys are a close second. I hate it, but it is true. They had so the 60's and 70's where they massed a huge, broad fan base all over the country. They also had the 90's. Now they are overpaid underachievers, but they are very popular as well.

Both teams are America's teams. No one else is even in the same league as them. The Lakers are not even close. No hockey team comes close.
The Lakers are top 5 in the same scenes as the Boys and Yanks. Besides maybe Red Wings(and that iffy) no other US NHL team has the massive fanbase as the mention above teams. That I agree with.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 AM
yawn.
america's team is GREED
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
The Lakers are top 5 in the same scenes as the Boys and Yanks. Besides maybe Red Wings(and that iffy) no other US NHL team has the massive fanbase as the mention above teams. That I agree with.
Most of America does not care about pro basketball. The Lakers do not have nearly the following for of the Yankees or Cowboys. Just look at the tv ratings.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 PM
There tons of fans of pro basketball but not like the followings of pro/college football or MLB baseball. Same with hockey in general. Winter sports are not that big in USA based on tv ratings.


EDIT: No North America sport team has big of a fanbase as Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Real Madrid, and Barcelona.

Last edited by John@$$; 09-15-2010 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
There tons of fans of pro basketball but not like the followings of pro/college football or MLB baseball. Same with hockey in general. Winter sports are not that big in USA based on tv ratings.


EDIT: No North America sport team has big of a fanbase as Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Real Madrid, and Barcelona.
Yankees are the global face of baseball. Huge in Japan. Yankee hats all over the world. They compete with these soccer clubs. BTW Soccer sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-16-2010, 05:09 AM
(edited by John@$$ September 16, 2010)

Last edited by John@$$; 09-16-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
If I went up to a person in say Sweden and I told him it was a New York Yankees cap, I bet he has no clue of what sport they play. He just think it cool because it has something to do with New York.
Out of curiosity, why do you talk like that on certain posts? You've shown a perfect ability to make posts that are grammatically correct; why do you choose to ignore tense/person perspective on other posts (like this one)?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Harlem Globetrotters .... they haven't lost a game in 84 years and they are loved around the world
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicochetShaw View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you talk like that on certain posts? You've shown a perfect ability to make posts that are grammatically correct; why do you choose to ignore tense/person perspective on other posts (like this one)?
I do change certain posts when I see mistakes that aren't grammar/spell correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
(edited by John@$$ September 16, 2010)
http://www.mister-baseball.com/york-...-scout-europe/

Quote:
The New York Yankees have appointed Doug Skiles as scout for Europe according to a report on the website of the Swedish Baseball and Softball Federation. The Swedish-American, who is part of the Swedish national team coaching staff since 2000 and will remain with the team, will be the only scout of the Bronx Bombers on the old continent.

Skiles visited the Yankees facilities in Tampa, Florida recently and also met Hall of Famer Yogi Berra among others. He sees his new job as a full-time post, although he remains committed to the Swedish national team. He will travel around Europe to establish contacts with academies, coaches and players and will primarily look at players age 14 and older.
Color me surprised. I did not know the Swedes played baseball, let alone have a league in which to scout. I bet those on the team know who the Yankees are.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-16-2010, 03:04 PM
What I meant was the average person that doesn't know sport that well. Ask some Russian that doesn't watch any sport and ask him about the Yankees. I'm guessing he doesn't know who the Yankees(besides the hat because it's cool to wear New York clothes and merchandise ) are or what sport they play. Just my opinion since I could be wrong.


And maybe I shouldn't be surprise about the league after all since Australia has a baseball league.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_in_Australia

Last edited by John@$$; 09-16-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
What I meant was the average person that doesn't know sport that well. Ask some Russian that doesn't watch any sport and ask him about the Yankees. I'm guessing he doesn't know who the Yankees(besides the hat because it's cool to wear New York clothes and merchandise ) are or what sport they play. Just my opinion since I could be wrong.


And maybe I shouldn't be surprise about the league after all since Australia has a baseball league.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_in_Australia
Sorry man, The Yankees are global and there are more people on this planet that know the Yankees than not. There are thousands of Russians who live in Brooklyn (NYC) and go back and forth to Russia all the time and they bring hats and stuff back with them. I know this for a fact. There are also tons of Israel fans too! The Yankees are global. WHo cares if they know who the players are or not. That is not the point
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump