Old 08-18-2010, 09:45 PM
It continues to impress. As much as Buscemi being the center of attention excites me, Michael Shannon is a real favorite of mine, and I can't wait to see what he brings to the table.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM
HBO's big chance to reclaim some headlining dramatic glory.

Hope it's as good as it looks.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:45 PM
4 weeks today, counting the days
Old 08-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I just cannot wait for this...the cast is absolutely stellar. Jeepers, Stephen Graham has landed on his feet aint he? He deserves it mind, the man is a cracking talent.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Ugh we don't have HBO in the dorms, I need to find a way to see this damnit!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Ugh we don't have HBO in the dorms, I need to find a way to see this damnit!
Download?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Fuck, this show is making me consider keeping HBO after True Blood ends instead of switching to Showtime for Dexter. It looks so fucking good. Buscemi + Michael Shannon + Scorsese being kinda involved is just unreal. All the footage I've seen is amazing. I'm probably sticking with Dexter, but I will certainly try to attain this show by any means necessary.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 09-01-2010 at 01:17 AM..
Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm sorry for what I'm gonna say... it started to sound great until I saw Steve Buscemi, total turn-off for me.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Creasy View Post
total turn-off for me.
why?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't know he's one of those actors that can ruin a movie for me just for being in it. Everyone here have an actor that is a "turn off"... he's one of those for me.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:54 AM
that is strange. i consider buscemi to be one of the great character actors

sopranos
trees lounge
fargo
reservoir dogs
millers crossing
pulp fiction
king of new york
big lebowski
monsters inc
wedding singer

quite a resume no?

Last edited by Cosimo; 09-09-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Old 09-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
that is strange. i consider buscemi to be one of the great character actors

sopranos
trees lounge
fargo
reservoir dogs
millers crossing
pulp fiction
king of new york
big lebowski
monsters inc
wedding singer

quite a resume no?
Actually... I don't like any of those but "general audiences" find some of them great.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Fuck, this show is making me consider keeping HBO after True Blood ends instead of switching to Showtime for Dexter. It looks so fucking good. Buscemi + Michael Shannon + Scorsese being kinda involved is just unreal. All the footage I've seen is amazing. I'm probably sticking with Dexter, but I will certainly try to attain this show by any means necessary.
I VERY STRONGLY doubt that this will be better than Dexter, You'd be mad to switch over.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
dexter has nothing on this. dexter got dull after they showed the serial killer in the first season, i passed on it after that

you can tell by the trailer and footage alone that this is quality. hbo hold it down

sopranos, oz, the wire, curb, carnivale, deadwood piss all over dexter. why wouldn't this. just look at the people involved, compared to the tacky bunch of no name cast and crew seen in dexter

crazy talk

Last edited by Cosimo; 09-10-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Old 09-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Creasy View Post
Actually... I don't like any of those but "general audiences" find some of them great.
wow, ok
Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
dexter has nothing on this. dexter got dull after they showed the serial killer in the first season, i past on it after that
What do you mean by this?
Old 09-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
What do you mean by this?
i admit i was enjoying the first season of dexter till they gave away the identity of the serial killer
Spoiler:
him dating dexter's sister thing was lame-o

in terms of excellence dexter is not in the same league as boardwalk empire. i'm calling it now
Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Well doesn't every show have to have a point? what would be the point of us never knowing the identity of the killer? It would mean there being two serial killers at large for season two, thus knackering up the rest of the series.

Then again, it's all personal choice. I have no doubt that this show will be good, but I just have a niggling feeling that it wont be 'great'. I hope it proves me wrong, I love the era it is set and I want to see the show last.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Well doesn't every show have to have a point? what would be the point of us never knowing the identity of the killer? It would mean there being two serial killers at large for season two, thus knackering up the rest of the series.
yes at some point. i didn't like the character. it was hardly a shock when they revealed his true identity. thought the whole thing pretty weak, case of typical yank studio playing it safe

can't understand why you wouldn't think what you have seen so far to be great but whatevs, to each his own and that
Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM
If it has more than a few interesting characters it will be better.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
dexter has nothing on this. dexter got dull after they showed the serial killer in the first season, i passed on it after that

you can tell by the trailer and footage alone that this is quality. hbo hold it down

sopranos, oz, the wire, curb, carnivale, deadwood piss all over dexter. why wouldn't this. just look at the people involved, compared to the tacky bunch of no name cast and crew seen in dexter

crazy talk
EDITED BY SKYNET: My man, your opinion is your opinion, and others have their opinion. NEVER call someone a name for expressing their opinion that may differ from yours, at least not on these boards. Consider this a warning as that is a violation of our rules here on these forums. Keep it friendly good sir (or ma'am). We are all friends here!

Dexter is one of, if not the best show on television. Michael C. Hall is brilliant as Dexter and so is the rest of the cast. Boardwalk Empire looks good, but let's not knocking off other show so quickly before this show has even aired.

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-12-2010 at 10:49 PM..
Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Soloist View Post
Dexter is one of, if not the best show on television. Michael C. Hall is brilliant as Dexter and so is the rest of the cast. Boardwalk Empire looks good, but let's not knocking off other show so quickly before this show has even aired.
EDITED BY SKYNET: Keep it friendly

maybe i slightly overreacted, but it was actually heisenberg who dismissed boardwalk empire first. to say that it won't be as good as dexter is a massive insult in my book

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-12-2010 at 10:50 PM..
Old 09-11-2010, 02:47 AM
I have to say that the identity of the serial killer in Dexter is not tantamount to that most important thing about TV shows: characters. Dexter is so great and successful because the characters are fantastic. So a plot twist wasn't all it was built up to be. It's not about the twist, it's about the journey and the characters you are on that journey with. All of my favorite dramas (be it Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, Farscape, Dexter or True Blood), I care about the characters first and foremost. The only episode I truly did not like of BSG was simply because it took a character to a place that didn't feel natural.
That is what I'm hoping Boardwalk Empire will bring to the table, as great actors, a great director and great production values for a good story can only get you so far. We need great characters as well. However, let's just wait and see before we start grading it against other shows.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:04 AM
At the end of the day Dexter really is a pulpy show. It wears a veneer of polish but it still gets a bit redundant and never covers any new ground. It's entertaining. I'll give it that, but I think this show though has greater potential. It looks like Scorsese and Winter really crafted an entire 1920's world. The cast is a vast ocean of talent. Solid actors who all cut their teeth on film and theater. It already seems very layered, and will deal with the various levels of the organizations. That's more of my cup of tea. The kind of stuff people like Scorsese or Michael Mann deal with in their work.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
At the end of the day Dexter really is a pulpy show. It wears a veneer of polish but it still gets a bit redundant and never covers any new ground. It's entertaining. I'll give it that, but I think this show though has greater potential. It looks like Scorsese and Winter really crafted an entire 1920's world. The cast is a vast ocean of talent. Solid actors who all cut their teeth on film and theater. It already seems very layered, and will deal with the various levels of the organizations. That's more of my cup of tea. The kind of stuff people like Scorsese or Michael Mann deal with in their work.
danke cap-a, a more rational response

i came across a little too aggressive so for that i apologise. i do not hate on dexter, but i was certainly disappointed in the way the narrative was handled mid way through the first season. his sexual relationship with the single mother i didn't care for and i found the ice truck killer pretty uninteresting

it is safe to say that boardwalk empire will have truly great characters, afterall it's written by terrence winter who wrote on sopranos

Last edited by Cosimo; 09-11-2010 at 05:37 AM..
Old 09-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Big Sopranos fan. Big Martin Scorsese fan. Big Steve Buscemi fan. Big Boardwalk Empire fan. I predict.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:

maybe i slightly overreacted, but it was actually heisenberg who dismissed boardwalk empire first. to say that it won't be as good as dexter is a massive insult in my book
I actually wasn't dismissing this show at all. The guy I quoted has watched Dexter since it started and was contemplating switching channels just before a new season od Dexter starts just to see this (which may not be that good)

I was mearly suggesting that he stick with a show that he allready watches, rather than risking it on a brand new one. Personally don't see a problem with this a all.

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-12-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Old 09-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
I actually wasn't dismissing this show at all. The guy I quoted has watched Dexter since it started and was contemplating switching channels just before a new season od Dexter starts just to see this (which may not be that good)

I was mearly suggesting that he stick with a show that he allready watches, rather than risking it on a brand new one. Personally don't see a problem with this a all.
but there is a problem with your statement friendo, as boardwalk empire is guaranteed gold dust. you'd have to be foolish not to recognise the class in this production

critics that have seen the first few eps are already saying it's the best show on tv
Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM
I think Cosimo has a boner for Boardwalk Empire.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
I think Cosimo has a boner for Boardwalk Empire.
yeah so what
Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
but there is a problem with your statement friendo, as boardwalk empire is guaranteed gold dust. you'd have to be foolish not to recognise the class in this production

critics that have seen the first few eps are already saying it's the best show on tv
Your really comparing this show, which hasn't even started....to an established show that is a hit with critics and fans alike.

Okay.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
it wasn't a hit with me and why the fuck should i care what the fans think? i'm a sopranos fan, so yes i do think boardwalk empire will be a lot better than dexter

have i not made that clear?
Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
it wasn't a hit with me and why the fuck should i care what the fans think? i'm a sopranos fan, so yes i do think boardwalk empire will be a lot better than dexter

have i not made that clear?
Christ, calm down. If that's what you think then fair enough.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Christ, calm down. If that's what you think then fair enough.
i am calm god dangit!!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 PM
EW already reviewed this on it's website giving it a B+. So when does this premiere?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:01 PM
EDITED BY SKYNET

Keep it friendly

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-12-2010 at 10:52 PM..
Old 09-12-2010, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Listen, just shut up for now.
go watch jamie fox go full retard again, i bet you know all his lines!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:29 AM
EDITED BY SKYNET:

Keep it friendly

And for the record, nobody's an idiot for not thinking Dexter is the best show on television because, guess what? It's not.

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-12-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
And for the record, nobody's an idiot for not thinking Dexter is the best show on television because, guess what? It's not.
Yes, but would you be saying that if they said Breaking Bad is not the best show on television?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Yes, but would you be saying that if they said Breaking Bad is not the best show on television?
That's impossible since no one who has seen BrBa all the way through would ever say that, because once you watch it, you just know that it is.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 09-12-2010 at 07:56 AM..