Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 PM
The Town

Directed by Ben Affleck

Written by Ben Affleck, Peter Craig and Aaron Stockard

Genre: Crime

Plot Outline: As he plans his next job, a longtime thief tries to balance his feelings for a bank manager connected to one of his earlier heists, as well as the FBI agent looking to bring him and his crew down

Starring: Ben Affleck, Rebecca Hall, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively, Chris Cooper

Rated R for strong violence, pervasive language, some sexuality and drug use.

Runtime: 124 minutes

One of my most anticipated films of the year. Cannot wait to see it.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Looks great. I hope it's an improvement for Affleck from GBG. Good cast (with the exception of Lively, who I'm not sold on yet).
Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Renner looks like a Nazi in that pic.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I am wanting to see this opening night...hmm cant say I have ever said that in regards to a movie starring Ben Affleck.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:52 PM
basically Heat set in Boston? pass.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
basically Heat set in Boston? pass.
Then by that description any movie about cops and robbers is just Heat in disguise. Even the ones that came out before Heat.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
Then by that description any movie about cops and robbers is just Heat in disguise. Even the ones that came out before Heat.
Really? i think some critics compared movies like this to Heat somewhat because Heat reestablished the standard for Caper films.

Last edited by ericdraven; 09-09-2010 at 11:05 PM..
Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Looks fantastic! Couldn't be more excited to see it.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm watching the NFL game between the Saints and Vikings and they've promoted the film fairly well with a few TV spots popping up during the broadcast. I've get a little more excited each time I see one of the TV spots.

I'm pretty excited because I dug Gone Baby, Gone even if it was a little iffy at spots. I thought it was pretty strong debut for a guy just now stepping into the camera. I'm excited to see if he's improved since GBG.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:06 PM
This is one of my most anticipated movies of the year! I absolutely adored GONE BABY GONE, which was one of the best movies the year it was released. Can't wait to see this one.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Doesn't this movie seem a little anti-unique to anyone else?

Last edited by creekin111; 09-13-2010 at 01:28 PM..
Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Love movies from my hometown, love the supporting cast, love crime movies, and am starting to love Affleck as a director.

Haven't really liked him as an actor since Good Will Hunting. He looks like he absolutely kills it in this though.

Sign me the fuck up.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm trying to see this on Friday.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Our own Chris Bumbray posted his review and said it's pretty fantastic. He mentions every actor from Affleck on down is at their best, including Blake Lively, who Bumbray says completely surprised him and can see why she landed her role in Green Lantern. It'll be the film that shoots Affleck back up to the "A-list"

http://www.joblo.com/tiff-review-the-town
Old 09-13-2010, 06:06 PM
I've read a couple of reviews already and all of them seem to single out Lively as something special.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM
i haven't seen a film in theaters since Scott Pilgrim due to college work, so hopefully i can break that cycle by checking this out on Friday afternoon.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Can't wait, looks like it could be the best movie of the year.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I haven't seen Gone Baby Gone yet, and I've been meaning to. But this will be my first Ben Affleck directed movie I watch.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Each review i read is getting me more hyped to see this
Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Looks boss.

Been waiting for a damn good heist movie and this looks to deliver.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 AM
I literally haven't left the theatre feeling like this in close to two years, a brilliantly executed film. Each character is warmly drawn and colored, the plot hits every note gracefully and I doubt I'll see a better film this year.

Four stars.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 PM
90% on RT with 60 reviews and more to come. Could go up a bit or down a bit. Needless to say, it is getting a very positive response. Could a BP nomination be in the cards? Some have said it isn't that kind of movie, but when you get this kind of critical support, anything can happen. Direction is also a possibility. It's a tough category this year, but there doesn't seem to be anything that REALLY stands out other than The Social Network, Inception and 127 Hours at this point and Affleck is getting big time praise. That's not to say there aren't other great directorial efforts out there, but I'm speaking in terms of consensus and what is up the Academy's alley.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-17-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm checking this out tomorrow after my student observation for college. I'm pretty pumped!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty excited for this, it's supposed to be really good. It'd be nice for a change to see Affleck have a successful film at the box office. He's a great actor but always gets stuck in shitty movies. There are some good reviews, and funny ones that I read here..

This ones pretty funny

http://bro-juice.com/archives/44

This ones just a good read

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...019689,00.html
Old 09-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
90% on RT with 60 reviews and more to come. Could go up a bit or down a bit. Needless to say, it is getting a very positive response. Could a BP nomination be in the cards? Some have said it isn't that kind of movie, but when you get this kind of critical support, anything can happen. Direction is also a possibility. It's a tough category this year, but there doesn't seem to be anything that REALLY stands out other than The Social Network, Inception and 127 Hours at this point and Affleck is getting big time praise. That's not to say there aren't other great directorial efforts out, but I'm speaking in terms of consensus and what is up the Academy's alley.
You could have said the same thing about The Departed in 2006 and look how well it did. I get Affleck doesn't have the clout Scorsese does but it's still a fairly big possibility.

If it has a big weekend this week, which it looks like it could, it's going to be difficult to ignore.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't understand what all the buzz for this film is about? It looks *incredibly* generic and predictable! I swear people could make a movie about a donkey shitting in the woods and people would love the movie just because the donkey had a boston accent.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
You could have said the same thing about The Departed in 2006 and look how well it did. I get Affleck doesn't have the clout Scorsese does but it's still a fairly big possibility.
Was gonna say the same thing. And I actually think this movie looks like it could actually end up being every bit as awesome as The Departed.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 AM
EXCELLENT!

Really the only word that I can give you when describing this movie after seeing it tonight at the midnight show.

Excellently paced, GREAT scenes by phenomenal actors.

Just an all around solid movie.

Hope to see it garner some awards come awards season. (Namely Best Director: Ben Affleck)
Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Damn I can't wait to see this movie this week.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I just got back from a matinee showing. All in all, a damn good sophomore effort by Ben Affleck. While the movie falls into the usual trappings of this type of flick, the acting and directing is definitely above par and helps elevate the movie.

8.5/10

Last edited by Mr.HyDe807; 09-19-2010 at 07:55 PM..
Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM
An above par story about the boston hard knock. Back east mythmaking. I prefer Gone Baby Gone, but boston hood stories don't usually resonate with me because I've never lived in that environment with those people. These movies have a gloomy gangland feel and they're ugly brothers to one of my least favorite sub-genres, mob flicks. But Affleck has a great handle on the scene and he's definitely turned into an exceptional film maker.
It's a good movie that didn't engage me as much as it should engage anyone who recognizes these stories and loves these stories.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
An above par story about the boston hard knock. Back east mythmaking. I prefer Gone Baby Gone, but boston hood stories don't usually resonate with me because I've never lived in that environment with those people.
That emotional disconnect seems to be the consensus even of people who like it. Berardinelli put it something like "there's less emotional involvement than Gone Baby Gone, but that may have more to do with the source material than with the filmmaking." Gone Baby Gone was such a heavy film with such obvious emotional investment that it's probably impossible to match: how do you match the level of tension over the fate of a child vs the fate of a bank robber?

Regardless, I am very excited to see this.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Saw the film last Sunday @ tiff and I throughly enjoyed it... A solid 8/10... Now I've read the book ("prince of thieves") and there are some notable difference from the book (characters are marginalized, scenes are altered/replaced and the ending is completely different) but I can say the changes are logical to come to the new conclusion. I still prefer the books ending but I can't fault the film even though the end is slightly Hollywood.

Overall I was entertained by the movie and believe it met most of my expectations. Affleck is clearly growing as a director and I'll be intrigued to see his next project
Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
Now I've read the book ("prince of thieves") and there are some notable difference from the book (characters are marginalized, scenes are altered/replaced and the ending is completely different)
I never read the book, and have no plans on doing so! Could you possibly (in spoiler tags) throw up the differences between the book and movie (especially the different ending)

Thanks in advance.

Probably going to see this movie again at some point this week. I have no doubts it will hold up, it was that damn good!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan02000 View Post
This is one of my most anticipated movies of the year! I absolutely adored GONE BABY GONE, which was one of the best movies the year it was released. Can't wait to see this one.
Same here, I'm going to save this flick and savor it. Can't think of another film on the horizon that I want to see as much. Glad the WOM has been so strong so far.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I never read the book, and have no plans on doing so! Could you possibly (in spoiler tags) throw up the differences between the book and movie (especially the different ending)!
Yeah sure, I'll have to do it when I get back home... Plus I have to figure out how to hide spoilers
Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 AM
No rush!

And to post a spoiler, in the toolbar located directly above the text box you write in, where the B for Bold, I for Italic and U for Underline is, all the way on the right side of that bar is something labeled "Spoil"

Just click on that and you will get 2 boxes that look like:

[ SPOILER][ /SPOILER]

Just put the spoilers in between those 2 things and hit reply:

Spoiler:
And it should come out looking like this.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Absolutely blew every expectation I had away. One of the best crime dramas of the last decade and beyond!

9.5/10
Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 AM
I love that shot at the end of the trailer with the closeup of Affleck just unloading a clip right into lens of the camera. Don't see that much in trailers, and I actually thought that it was a rule in green band trailers that you aren't allowed to have a gun firing at the audience.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderPredator View Post
One of the best crime dramas of the last decade and beyond!
Well said!

I also add that it's the best crime drama since Michael Mann's Heat. Terrific acting, outstanding directing, and a great story! Loved the shoot-out scenes set in real locations. The sound editing was fantastic.

8.5/10