Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Excuse me while I FREAK THE HELL OUT!!

http://www.artifacting.com/blog/2010...mission-tower/

Dear god, you could NEVER get me to do that job. Ever. EVER!

I got nervous watching it and had to look away a few times. Holy crap.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Don't fall.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 PM
i had a worse case of vertigo just watching this video than i did looking down the grand canyon. I'm not particularly afraid of heights, but Christ... whoever does this work have balls of steel.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 PM
It's not the height that scares me in the video but the margin of error.

One slip of the hand and the dude is toast.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I'd just wear a parachute. Problem solved.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Geez that is so high.
It is amazing how some people can climb so high without getting scared.
I wonder how much you would get paid with this type of work.
Even watching the clip it made me dizzy but it was still interesting to see what he was doing
Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm really surprised how hard that was for me to watch.

That's incredible. Props to those guys who do that, but it really just resembles a nightmare to me. Clinging to a pole that high off the ground...fuck that. Awesome video.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Gus Van Sant should make a movie about a kid climbing one of those.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Damn. I don't have a problem with heights - airplanes, climbing mountains/volcanoes, roller coasters, whatever - but those things give a higher level of comfort than watching the video, much less actually climbing this tower.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
I got five minutes in and i'm going to have to take a wee breather before I finish watching this. I'm terrified of heights so this is just fucking torture for me. Hats off to the guys who do this work but...just...jeez...insane.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I wonder what these guys earn in a year.

I wonder what kind of health insurance these guys have.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:32 PM
After a certain height, theres nothing to be scared of. If you slip, you die. Pretty simple. The difference between 100 feet and 1,500 feet means nothing.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
The difference between 100 feet and 1,500 feet means nothing.

Except the other 1400 feet your arms have to carry you and the reason they put long strings on kites. It's like saying there's no difference between running out your front door during a tornado warning and running a half mile away during a tornado.

That's for starters.

Your comment about the parachute. I'm not sure about that either. It's not base jumping. If someone falls, they will fall straight down with their body tumbling and likely start bouncing off the tower itself. People don't unwittingly fall perfectly down with their arms and legs extended and back arched like they do for base jumping and I don't think Nolan Batman technology is as realistic as the movie makes it seem.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 PM
mmmm it's a good video ... height is scary but the guy still does have a ladder structure to help him. Besides vertigo , he has not much to fear ( which is already pretty good , i wouldn't do it ).

BUT

Doesn't compare to Alain "the french spiderman" Robert. That guy climbs building around the world. He got arrested by police a lot of time since nothing is legal ( God bless sponsors ! )

Too bad he doesnt have a helmet cam .... this guy is totally hardcore.

Alain Robert climbing the National Telecommunications building in Abu Dhabi under 20 minutes

that might look tame but he also climbed the fucking Petronas Towers

and also the Sears Towers (photos only sorry )... Alain Robert was greeted at the top of the 110-story, 1,454- foot building by Sears workers and Chicago police, who helped him up before arresting him. A police spokeswoman said Robert faces at least trespassing charges. Date: August 20, 1999
Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM

Seriously though, there's no way I could do that. When they left the caged area and started scaling the atennena I started to freak out. I could almost imagine myself falling off of that.

What really sucks is that according to the comments on the video these guys don't even get paid all the well. Given the risk and absolute sheer fucking terror involved that job should pay between 75 & 100k.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
Except the other 1400 feet your arms have to carry you and the reason they put long strings on kites. It's like saying there's no difference between running out your front door during a tornado warning and running a half mile away during a tornado.

That's for starters.

Your comment about the parachute. I'm not sure about that either. It's not base jumping. If someone falls, they will fall straight down with their body tumbling and likely start bouncing off the tower itself. People don't unwittingly fall perfectly down with their arms and legs extended and back arched like they do for base jumping and I don't think Nolan Batman technology is as realistic as the movie makes it seem.
You onyl climb 60 feet. The other 1400+ is done in an elevator.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:55 AM
"Shit. I left my ham and cheese in the jeep."
Old 09-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Quote:
You onyl climb 60 feet. The other 1400+ is done in an elevator.
And? There's more wind at 1700 feet than at 100 feet. Your arms are going to get tired faster climbing and hanging on tight. And I don't know what an elevator has to do with a parachute.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I love climbing stuff. Trees, strange structures, rock faces, you name it. I'm not sure what it is about climbing that i enjoy, perhaps the view and new perspective on things from high up or something.

I do however stay withing my skill and sanity level. Watching that video i would wager i could get to the point of the base of the antenna. After that no way. You got nothing but a tall pipe with 8 inch or so bolts sticking out both sides as your rungs. No thanks, that's a bit much. I mean i even recall seeing that poll swaying and shit and that right there would be a deal breaker for my.

Anything i climb has to have a certain level of sturdiness or its no go.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson13 View Post
http://www.artifacting.com/blog/2010...mission-tower/

Dear god, you could NEVER get me to do that job. Ever. EVER!

I got nervous watching it and had to look away a few times. Holy crap.
Fuckin shit

faints
Old 09-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I saw this video and had a heart attack. I got better, though.

Seriously, jesus fucking CHRIST that is some scary shit. I hope they pay these guys loads of money. NO HARNESS?!?! are you fucking KIDDING ME?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
And? There's more wind at 1700 feet than at 100 feet. Your arms are going to get tired faster climbing and hanging on tight. And I don't know what an elevator has to do with a parachute.
Because 1700 feet is plenty of time to deploy a chute. Even if you are tumbling.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Because 1700 feet is plenty of time to deploy a chute. Even if you are tumbling.
But i'd have to assume that's great for a huge open space but you're falling off a 1700 ft tower that would only be feet away from you as you fall. I bet if you deployed a chute you get it caught on the tower and end up bashing your brains out or something.

That's my theory anyways.