Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 AM
MARVEL COMICS "Star Wars" series '77-'86

Marvel Comics "Star Wars" series 1977-1986 = 107 issues + 3 Annuals and a Treasury Edition. Very cool series me and my brother locked on back when it first began in the year of 1977. Awesome character versions mainly IMO by artist Carmine Infantino (of D.C. Comics fame-now 85 years old.)+ (SEE SCAN) A personal favorite cover from the series (issue #13) by artist John Byrne! Many artists /writers handled the series over time,of course. Marvel Comics "Star Wars" series featured both film franchise and non film series characters through out it's run,more so as time went on... I have the Treasury Edition and issues #1-#35 + Annual #1. The first 35 issues in particular, were the real meat IMO of this series. IF you're a fan of comic books and the "Star Wars" film series? You need to out check the Marvel Comics 1977 monthly issues run. Some very neat & cool stuff!

Click image for larger version

Name:	starwarsissue1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	8606

Name:	star wars 13comic.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	8607

Name:	starwars12issue.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	8608

Name:	starwars21issue.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	8609

Name:	starwars3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	8610 - Artist Pat Broderick "Star Wars" commission piece 11x17 pen&ink

Last edited by Dr.Frankenstein; 07-08-2010 at 05:50 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 05:06 AM
I never got these but I did get the re-release versions.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I started collecting the comics back when the movie first came out. I have issues 1-6 among others. But that was before I started collecting comics as a hobby and didn't know the value of them. So i didn't take very good care of them I'm afraid. I knew the movie so well that I was upset that the dialogue in the comic was often wrong and would cross out the wrong dialogue and write in the correct one!.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by graynold65 View Post
I started collecting the comics back when the movie first came out. I have issues 1-6 among others. But that was before I started collecting comics as a hobby and didn't know the value of them. So i didn't take very good care of them I'm afraid. I knew the movie so well that I was upset that the dialogue in the comic was often wrong and would cross out the wrong dialogue and write in the correct one!.
Lol! U were one weird kid! jk! I know the comic series was totally different in many ways-Chewbacca when drawn by (my fav Artist on the series) Carmine Infantino,looked more like a Yeti than the Chewie from the films-BUT-I liked the look ONLY for the comic book series. I have 40+ issues-all in NM or VG cond. Marvel in the 1970's always kept pace with their own comic series versions of these big budget films. The 1970's was a very cool time in comics.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frankenstein View Post
Lol! U were one weird kid! jk! I know the comic series was totally different in many ways-Chewbacca when drawn by (my fav Artist on the series) Carmine Infantino,looked more like a Yeti than the Chewie from the films-BUT-I liked the look ONLY for the comic book series. I have 40+ issues-all in NM or VG cond. Marvel in the 1970's always kept pace with their own comic series versions of these big budget films. The 1970's was a very cool time in comics.
Yeah, I could just kick myself now for messing those up! I have many more issues too that came after but those first 3 were the special ones. And the great thing about them was that we got our Star Wars fix since we all had to wait a torturous 3 years between movies back then.And no dvd or cable!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:44 PM
True! true! true! it did help us get by all those years ago.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 AM
I had a few issues that I'd picked up at 7-11s here and there, but they mostly ended up matted in the back floorboard or left on the beach. They were pretty cool, but I didn't like the serialization aspect of them at the time, mostly because I didn't know what was going on and was just like "Hey, I know that guy." This would have been circa '81-'83. They would be a lot cooler to check out now.