Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Well. Looks like we're going to get a shitty Superman flick where he just hits a lot of things and fucks a lot of women in slow motion.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm not going to lie, this excites the hell out of me. Snyder is a visual magician who knows about the emotions of characters--look at Watchmen--but with Nolan producing I can only imagine!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
the emotions of characters
As long as they're having sex, beating people up, or having sex while beating people up.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
Well. Looks like we're going to get a shitty Superman flick where he just hits a lot of things and fucks a lot of women in slow motion.
I guess its better than a shitty Superman film where he just stalks a twig and never throws a punch.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
As long as they're having sex, beating people up, or having sex while beating people up.
I take it you never read the graphic novel since Snyder basically took each page and put it on screen. Plus, you're going to tell me he didn't do a good job with the Comedian, Dr. Manhattan or Rorschach?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Quote:
I take it you never read the graphic novel
I have. It's a lot better than that crap Snyder made.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Snyder definitely has a unique and interesting visual style. His take on Superman could be an interesting one. He's not writing it, Jonathan Nolan is and Nolan has proven time and again to be a really good screenwriter. And with Chris Nolan on board as producer, I think this could be a pretty good movie.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
I have. It's a lot better than that crap Snyder made.
What were you expecting?

From the list of other directors contending for the spot WB had to go with someone that could bring the stylistic and action side to Superman, while also being a powerhouse for the company. Reeves was the only other director I thought would be an acceptable contender, I didn't trust Liebesman with this thing--especially after The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, it's not Scott's style to do something like Superman, Jones has only directed Moon, and I knew Aronofsky was bullshit. The decision could have went to a much less deserving director, and you have to admit, Snyder is a comic-book fan, he honors the material he works with and with Nolan & Goyer writing I don't see anything to worry about.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 PM
McG all over again.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo View Post
McG all over again.
Charles Angels and We Are Marshall < Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen
Old 10-04-2010, 05:52 PM

MATT BOMER FOR SUPERMAN!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Charles Angels and We Are Marshall < Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen
I'd say they're all about equal.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Well at least a Nolan is writing it, so any over reverance will be reigned in.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo View Post
I'd say they're all about equal.
I beg a differ, McG was a shitty director who was given a franchise to continue and he just tried to please fans by casting people for the wrong roles and tried making the film too much like the original three by adding lines in unnecessary spots, oh and a Terminator film should never be rated PG-13. Snyder on the other hand can actually direct. Yes, he does style over substance, but the man knows how to direct the hell out of an action sequence while remaining faithful to the material, on top of that Nolan is writing this thing! It's not like when we got Bryan Singer and everyone was excited then we watch it and realized it's made more for our parents.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Snyder is a comic-book fan, he honors the material he works with
And now you're just lying.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
I take it you never read the graphic novel since Snyder basically took each page and put it on screen. Plus, you're going to tell me he didn't do a good job with the Comedian, Dr. Manhattan or Rorschach?
And I will continue to repeat my statement that cutting and pasting comic book panels to film is not directing. Hell, it isn't even basic storyboarding.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Gotta agree with Jig Saw on this. I was not looking forward to this even with Nolan producing but now that Snyder is on I'm looking forward to what they both come up. Love Watchmen too, was probably my favorite movie of last year.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:06 PM
ugh.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
And I will continue to repeat my statement that cutting and pasting comic book panels to film is not directing. Hell, it isn't even basic storyboarding.
Really. A high school drama performance of Hamlet might say every word from the entire play.... doesn't mean it's good.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
And now you're just lying.
I guess you would have been more happy with someone like Ratner, Bay, or McG.

Quote:
Yes, he does that in 300, but in Watchmen the film was so much more than that. I wasn't a fan of Watchmen after my first viewing, but after catching the director's cut on DVD my rating of the film increased. Snyder delivered on both action, as well as fully embodying the character's from the graphic novel while at the same time giving us something visually to behold.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
You're pretty silly.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:
At least no one would be pretending it was a good idea.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Quote:

Yes, he does that in 300, but in Watchmen the film was so much more than that.
Yes, they moved.

Not to mention it held up the narrative so bad that it felt like wading through kudzu. Seriously, I had to pause the movie one-third of the way through because it felt like 2 hours already passed. And Malin Akerman was a horrid choice for Silk Spectre 2. Her line delivery was just so FLAT for someone carrying 30 years of angst and a grudge against her mother.

The ironic thing is that when Snyder is acting off pure inspiration, the results are actually REALLY good, like the intro to WATCHMEN. That was spot on. That's the difference between being inspired by material and being beholden to it.

I don't hate Snyder, in fact there are thing about him I admire, which is why I'd like him to throw off the fanboy shackles and serve these comic book films by NOT being so dogmatically adherent to them.

Its like dating. You're never going to be in a great relationship with a chick if you just do everything she says to the letter and never show thoughts of your own.

That being said, having Chris Nolan produce and Jonathan co-write give me some hope that a balance will at least try to be maintained.

Last edited by electriclite; 10-04-2010 at 06:26 PM..
Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm sure the fact that Zack Snyder is on WB's payroll has absolutely nothing to do with this decision. Nope. Not at all.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 PM
well this certainly will be interesting
Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I loved Watchmen, hated 300 and very mixed on this news.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Ugh.

I guess with Goyer/Jonothan Nolan writing and Chris Nolan producing, everything might still be alright. Hopefully Nolan can help Snyder with his biggest problem, which is directing actors. I'll be the first to say that Watchmen was visually stunning, but I have to agree with Gilpesh and electriclite that its mediocre effort, especially given the depth of the source material.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I really like Snyder but I'm not sure if he's right for a Superman film...but still, this remains high on my top upcoming movies.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm so indifferent on a Superman that I couldn't really care if Chris Nolan himself was doing this movie. If it's having anything to do with homaging the Reeves movies, I'm not throwing down 9.50 for a ticket. However, unless we got something that we haven't seen in a superman movie going, then my interest may peak.

I enjoy Synder (Watchmen, while not a masterpiece, was a definite high point in my opinion), but I'm just hoping he strays away from this usual shtick that ol' Supes has been dawdling in for the past movies and does something new with it.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
well this certainly will be interesting
I came to this thread just to say that. But here, Digi beat me to it. And he's right - this WILL be pretty interesting. Three creative forces I never thought would collaborate in a million years - but here they are. I wonder how this'll turn out...!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I have to admit... I am EXCITED for this movie now. There is a good chance it might end up badly. But if it does end up good, I have a feeling it will be HOLY SHIT good.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Quote:

I don't hate Snyder, in fact there are thing about him I admire, which is why I'd like him to throw off the fanboy shackles and serve these comic book films by NOT being so dogmatically adherent to them.
As one of the "Shacklers" I have to say, I resent that remark.

See, here's the thing, what happens when you don't adhere? You get stuff that doesn't make any sense, like retconning the murder of Uncle Ben, no, you thought it was this guy, but really, it was the sandman, for reasons that make no sense whatsoever. I agree that there's a difference between writing original material, and adapting something someone else did, there's an art to both.

Now, that being said, Synder was a good choice. I liked 300 (probably one of the few people on this site who did, I think it did justice to Frank Miller's original vision, which was never meant to be a history of the people who fought the battle.), but I was lukewarm on Watchmen, largely because I've believed, for years, that watchmen was unadaptable. In other words, you have to consider the degree of difficulty. Synder's watchmen was okay, but given how hard a job he had, I'm not sure I, or anyone else, could have done much better.

One thing that I do know, with the Nolans, and now Synder, behind this thing, we are not going to get another Superman Returns. I firmly believe that the point at which Singer went wrong was when he decided to do a homage of the Richard Donner Superman. The other problem is that that version of Superman is so entrenched, you're going to have a hard time selling anything else. Fortunately, Nolan has already proven he can bring one franchise back from the brink.

As much as people on the net lampoon, for example, Smallville, it is, in my opinion, a much more true interpretation of what Superman has been, in the comics, for several generations now than the Donner-verse was. That was a very 1970s take on the character, and it was good for its time, the 1970s, and it really had little business in the 21st century. I'd like to see Superman updated, and re-imagined in some places, but also grounded back into what made him an icon. Basically, what Nolan did for Batman.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey, lets not forget how amazing Sucker Punch looks. Isn't that his original premise?

Snyder is a visual storyteller. Whether he ripped it from the comics or not, he brought it all to life and it was beautiful on screen.

Finally, we'll see Superman FIGHT.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
As one of the "Shacklers" I have to say, I resent that remark.
Would you prefer yoke?

Its different when I describe you as a fanboy as opposed to Snyder, because you're just reading and enjoying the material, Snyder has done that too but he has to make something out of it in a different media.

Its kind of the equivalent to a surgeon operating on a family member. He's not going to make the hard decisions necessary to make a stronger film because every part of the material is darling to him, and you can't make any adaptation without the heart-wrenching and often necessary decision of killing your darlings. Which as I've been told is part of any writing/filmmaking process.

Steve Martin wrote the shortest and best essay in my opinion about writing an adapted screenplay. He likened it to a marriage: in the beginning you start off with the firm intention of being faithful but then over time the process just necessitates it. I really wish I could find the actual quote and paste it here, but its true. The length of feature films and the amount of money that needs to be recouped just lends the material to be "adapted" to the new media it's to be displayed in.

Quote:
See, here's the thing, what happens when you don't adhere? You get stuff that doesn't make any sense, like retconning the murder of Uncle Ben, no, you thought it was this guy, but really, it was the sandman, for reasons that make no sense whatsoever. I agree that there's a difference between writing original material, and adapting something someone else did, there's an art to both.
Retconning Uncle Ben is an obvious, glaring gaffe simply because it was done bad.

I mean we all know what a clusterfuck the production of Spiderman 3 was. Villains just thrown in cause it was "What the fans wanted to eventually see". Of course that looked bad because the reasoning behind it was out of impatience and greed not thoughtful storytelling.

If you're going to write something that drastic, make it actually work!

Plus, comics are ALWAYS retconning characters' bios. They clearly hold no sanctity to the creators, why should filmmakers have to adhere?

Quote:
Now, that being said, Synder was a good choice. I liked 300 (probably one of the few people on this site who did, I think it did justice to Frank Miller's original vision, which was never meant to be a history of the people who fought the battle.), but I was lukewarm on Watchmen, largely because I've believed, for years, that watchmen was unadaptable. In other words, you have to consider the degree of difficulty. Synder's watchmen was okay, but given how hard a job he had, I'm not sure I, or anyone else, could have done much better.
Well, we'll never really know.

Quote:
One thing that I do know, with the Nolans, and now Synder, behind this thing, we are not going to get another Superman Returns. I firmly believe that the point at which Singer went wrong was when he decided to do a homage of the Richard Donner Superman.
Singer went wrong when he decided to do nothing new with the character since Donner. We waited almost 30 years to.... see same damn thing? Apparently the only 21st century thing he threw in was to make Superman an absentee parent.

Of course he could have very well thought he'd have the sequel to ramp things up and needed the first film to reintroduce the character.

Yeah, I know, you're saying "ITS Superman, everyone on this blue planet knows who Superman is. You don't need to reintroduce him!". Well everyone on this blue planet knows who Batman is and Chris Nolan revisited his constantly visited beginning and that worked, and then he made a mother of a sequel once he got all that initial re-introduction business out of the way.

Quote:
As much as people on the net lampoon, for example, Smallville, it is, in my opinion, a much more true interpretation of what Superman has been, in the comics, for several generations now than the Donner-verse was. That was a very 1970s take on the character, and it was good for its time, the 1970s, and it really had little business in the 21st century. I'd like to see Superman updated, and re-imagined in some places, but also grounded back into what made him an icon. Basically, what Nolan did for Batman.
Well Smallville has the good fortune to be episodic television which allows for weekly updating and growth of characters, and long series spanning story arcs. The length and breath Smallville now clearly runs longer than Donner's first Superman.

However at the same time a TV series about a young Superman leads an audience impatient to get to the next thing they know once the whole "teen years" nuance fades. Which then causes producers, usually during the inevitable ratings dip (and wanting to keep their show on the air), throw those things in that the audience knows but waaaay too early than the original material says (Lois Lane showing up while Kent is still in high school?)

Now if you can accept that change in the core material than you can accept my premise that in order for said material to work in another media you have to make some hard choices about what goes in, what's taken out and where, and that sometimes a fanboy is not the one to do it.

Btw, this whole discussion got me t revisit these little chestnuts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1R5PhReY5k&NR=1

Last edited by electriclite; 10-05-2010 at 12:59 AM..
Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Spoiler:
I always wanted to see Superman fly in slow motion. Now with Snyder onboard as director, it's guaranteed.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Smallville use to be a decent show but now it's a real piece of shit IMO.

I'm fine with Snyder directing. I think he'll do fine. I love his visual style. Sucker Punch looks amazing. The only thing I didn't like was the slow motion in 300, then again, I didn't like that movie at all anyway.

Someone said that Snyder has problems directing actors? I disagree. The acting in the Dawn of the Dead remake was great. Ditto for Watchmen. I didn't find anything wrong with Malin Ackerman's performance in that movie. And Jeffrey Dean Morgan was especially fantastic in that movie. I know most people think Jackie Earl Haley gave the movie's best performance, but I think Morgan was even better. Especially considering his lack of screen time.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Finally an exciting Superman..no more emo gay shit.

Bring on Doomsday.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Snyder has a great eye for detail i think we need an edgier darker Superman flick,and i hope they move on from Lex Luthor's land obssesion,or just go with another villain altogether....Braniac anyone?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I didn't find anything wrong with Malin Ackerman's performance
Did you watch more than just her sex scenes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakinsrise View Post
edgier darker Superman flick
Except Superman is the exact opposite of darker and edgier?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 AM
With Snyder at the helm, I'm expecting this to suck. Expect a completely awkward, out-of-place sex scene between Clark Kent and Lois Lane set to Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row".