Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Mir/Cro Cop was a horrendous fight. They did absolutely nothing for two and a half rounds and it was so bad that the fans were booing the whole thing and Joe/Goldberg were ripping on it than Mirko gets KO'ed. They were both smiling and talking to each other during the fight. Fuck, it sucked. It pains me to say it because Mirko Cro Cop was one of my favorite fighters a few years ago but he is done. He will probably get released by the UFC after this embarrasing fight and should retire. Mir's a douchebag and I was hoping the Mirko from Pride would show up and headkick Mir into oblivion but I got a fight that made both guys look awful. Even the KO looked really weak.

Guillard/Stephens was almost as bad. Lil' Nog/Bader was really boring but not as bad as the the previously mentioned.

The middle of this show was fucking awesome . Sherk/Dunham should easily be the fight of the night. Even though Dunham got robbed, it was action packed and Dunham should've won the fight despite suffering a disgusting cut. Serra/Lytle was a great boxing battle. I can't believe these two are the same age as Cro Cop. They look so much more alive and had way more passion.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Diaz vs. Noons II is on tonight! I can't wait for this fight. It could likely be one of the best fights of the year.

I'm hoping Diaz gets his revenge and closes the chapter on who is the better fighter. He's been stellar ever since he fought Noons and has improved so much in the past three years. Not to discredit Noons who is also a pretty good boxer. He has fast hands and I'm sure he's going to tag Diaz throughout the fight, but Diaz is built to last 5 rounds. I expect to see him weather Noons down standing up and then hopefully take him to the ground. I always love seeing a striker submit. They get that deer in headlights look as it happens.

The only thing that can beat Diaz is his own ego. If he isn't precise with his stand up and he doesn't go to the ground, then this fight could go to Noons.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Diaz is easily one of my favorite fighters. I was born in Stockton, and I have spent a bit of time with him through one of his longtime friends. He's a nice and pretty humble guy, but Nate is a fucking douche who always hid behind his brother.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM
That's cool Mopar. Nick always seemed like a really cool guy. I kind of miss his "heelish" ways before he became the champ. I always enjoyed the rough attitude even though it pissed people off. It reminded me of Roddy Piper in a way. I hope he either knocks out or submits Noons who is a little too cocky for my liking... sort of like how Diego Sanchez was before he got his spanking.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:22 PM
...What the fuck, Chael Sonnen?!
Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Nick Diaz is one of those fighters that I initially couldn't stand but have warmed up to immensely. When he knocked out Robbie Lawler I thought he was way too cocky, and just his general demeanor was really off-putting to me. But when he fought Diego, who I can't stand at all, I started leaning toward Nick's side. Then after that it seemed like they were consistently putting him against people I didn't like, like Joe Riggs and Josh Neer, so pretty much by default I rooted for Nick. When he fought Gomi, that's when I became an actual fan. That fight was absolutely killer, and the way he finished it was super studly, that stupid NC ruling aside. Anyway, all this rambling is just to say that I've really come to appreciate Diaz as a fighter and even his atttitude, which annoyed me at first, has become endearing.

All that being said, I hope Noons wins. He's a cocky SOB too but I like watching him fight, and with the exception of that Crazy Horse Bennett fight, which broke my fuckin heart to watch, he hasn't let me down. I went to the Strikeforce event here in Houston a couple months ago and saw him fight Gurgel. It was awesome, and all the shit he's been catching about illegality is nonsense. That punch he was throwing at the end of the first was in motion before the bell, that was plain as day, but people still act like he was intentionally fighting dirty. So I'd always liked Noons, but seeing him live made me a fan. Ridiculous reason to be a fan, I know, but I already kind of was before that and that just shoved me over.

Like I said, I hope Noons wins, but I know he won't. He's not going to knock Diaz out, I am about 90% sure of that, and he sure as shit won't be submitting him. The best KJ can hope for is another TKO stoppage. Otherwise, even if it goes the distance, Diaz will win. But I don't see it going the distance, not even close. I think Noons will drop Diaz, sorta like he did in the first, then get cocky and go in all wild and shit allowing Nick to submit him. It seemed to me that he left himself in a couple vulnerable positions their first time around, but for whatever reason Nick didn't capitalize on it. Maybe it was the weight cut, maybe he was just having a bad night, I don't know. But I don't see Nick letting Noons get away with mistakes again. Nick will catch him and sub him, I'm gonna say somewhere in the first two rounds.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourahioro View Post
...What the fuck, Chael Sonnen?!

Nice work, Chael. I swear... it's like these fighters think they're immune to drug tests.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Ryan "Darth" Bader vs. Jon "Bones" Jones next februrary. I'm really looking forward to this one. I hope Bader wins but Bones is a bad motha. I'm guessing the fight will be an early candidate for fight of the year next year. Bader wins for coolest nickname in MMA.

So... who does Brock fight after he destroys Cain? Carwin rematch?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Well that was a good fight tonight. I thought Noons really should have pulled the trigger more on a couple of occasions, and he seemed to kind of back off when he shouldn't have. But Diaz just outboxed him, that's all there is to it. As for a rubber match, I think KJ should have to get a couple fights in before that happens.

It was pretty cool of Josh Thompson to call out the judge that ruled it 30-27 in his favor. It was a ridiculous score, and I immediately knew that fans and fighters alike would groan about it, but I didn't expect the guy who was overscored for to object. That's awesome. Something obviously needs to be done about judging, but I don't know what. The 10-point-must has its flaws, but I think it's a better system than just flat-out calling the fight at the end like Pride used to do. The problem with that was that a dude could lose for ten minutes, rally in the last five and the judges would be swayed by whatever their last impression was. Anyway, a lot of people have been suggesting half-points in the ten-point system, but I really don't see how that will make any appreciable difference. That dumbass judge who called all three rounds to Thompson tonight would still have scored retarded, just by half-points instead of whole ones.

Bader / Jones should be killer. Jones has just impressed the hell out of everyone, and while Bader's been pretty impressive too he hasn't been nearly as much so. His last two fights against Little Nog and Jardine were far more competitive than anything Jones has been in. Now, one might say that Bader's competition was of a higher caliber, but I disagree. Nog is a huge name in Bader's cap, but Jardine's chin keeps him from being a huge win, whereas Jones's victories over Vera, Hamill, and the vastly underrated Matyushenko are all impressive. And not just that he won, but how he won. Anything can happen, of course, and it wouldn't shock me if Bader wins, but given his incredible performances so far and the fact that he seems to keep improving I don't see how anyone could call it against Jones.

As for Lesnar / Velasquez, Cain is going to win. I've actually come to respect Brock Lesnar after his last few fights, and I would like to see him remain the force that everyone perceives him as, but he's about to get knocked down a peg in two weeks. Lesnar looked great against Mir at 100 but Mir has a tendency to crumple once he's hurt, which Velasquez won't do, as he proved in his fight with Kongo. Judging by that and the Rothwell fight, I don't see Lesnar KO'ing Cain, but it seems entirely possible that Velasquez might hurt Brock on the feet and swarm him to a TKO or submission. Sure Brock survivied Carwin's onslaught, but that was largely because Carwin blew himself out and didn't even really try to advance himself into a submission position. He just threw, and when the second round started he was gassed. There is no way Cain will get winded like that, nor will he pass up the chance to advance his position in favor of just raining down bombs. As for wrestling, I think Velasquez will surprise people with his ability to hang. Much is being made of the weight and size difference, but none of that helped Lesnar in the grappling department against Couture, who's a smaller heavyweight than Cain. Velasquez is no Couture, I know, but I'm just saying that size alone doesn't give Brock a huge wrestling advantage, like some people are painting it out. Anyway, I think Velasquez is gonna win that fight in the third round, by either TKO or submission. Should be awesome, any way about it.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:57 AM
That was one hell of a fight. You're right, Chillingworth. Nick Diaz outboxed KJ Noons. He gave Nick Diaz everything he had and Nick took it like a champ and really dominated for most of the fight.

Noons had a great second round though. It made me nervous just watching it, but Nick came back in round 3 as a skilled champion. That's when I knew Nick was going to make the pace of the fight.

Not to mention those half assed crescent kicks he would throw as a gag. It was hilarious. Nick makes such a great heel when he wants to be one.

KJ got some clean shots though. Shots that could have knocked out a lot of people, but Nick's an animal. I wouldn't mind seeing a rubber match at all, but like you suggested: a couple fights down the line.

I'm with you on your predictions for the next UFC. Jones is the most exciting fighter right now in the light heavyweight division. He's so fluid that I'd really like to see him up against somebody like Machida rather than Bader. I give this one to Jones... on the ground, the guy is a worm. Bader won't be able to do his ground and pound routine. Only if Jones has a glass jaw.

As for Cain vs. Brock. I want to give it to Cain and I think overall, he's a better fighter. I'm just curious to see if Brock will ever get the chance to lay on top of Cain and if Cain is strong enough to slip out and not let Brock get those baby punches that just tear through people's foreheads because of his tard strength. That's the biggest thing in Brock's arsenal. If Cain can get through the takedown and that, he'll be fine.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Im glad Nick Diaz won, KJ is the same age as Nick, but hes only been in MMA for 5 years, he needs more experience in my opinion. I think his boxing needs work, because almost every one of his punches are big ugly looking hooks or uppercuts and Nick would just dodge them everytime unlike Jorge Gurgel.

Cain Velasquez will beat Brock Lesnar, I think he'll be able to hold off the takedown long enough to knock Brock out standing up, because he cant take a punch and he doesnt know how to block or counter properly...

and this is what Cain can do...

Last edited by Canto; 10-11-2010 at 08:51 PM..
Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canto View Post
Im glad Nick Diaz won, KJ is the same age as Nick, but hes only been in MMA for 5 years, he needs more experience in my opinion. I think his boxing needs work, because almost every one of his punches are big ugly looking hooks or uppercuts and Nick would just dodge them everytime unlike Jorge Gurgel.

Cain Velasquez will beat Brock Lesnar, I think he'll be able to hold off the takedown long enough to knock Brock out standing up, because he cant take a punch and he doesnt know how to block or counter properly...

and this is what Cain can do...
That fight should have been stopped imo. Lesnar did nothing but cuddle up against the cage, clamming up like a turtle with no defense at all.

Lesnar won my respect with the fight, but surviving through the fight to only pull off a submission in a desperate fashion to end it it quick was just a sign of how desperate he was to save face.

Not to point out the obvious, but in every other fight Lesnar has Dominated. Carwin was his first and only real test. The only advantages Cain has over Lesnar is the fact that he's younger and faster.

Fedor
Overeem
Lesnar
Carwin
Cigano
Cain

as of now that's how I rate the hw's

Last edited by SL Dubbs; 10-10-2010 at 08:22 PM..
Old 10-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Yea i dont understand how they can call Brock "the baddest man on the planet" after what he did in that fight, the baddest man on the planet is someone who can take a beating until the other guy is exhausted and then choke him out?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canto View Post
Yea i dont understand how they can call Brock "the baddest man on the planet" after what he did in that fight, the baddest man on the planet is someone who can take a beating until the other guy is exhausted and then choke him out?
Here's the baddest man on the planet at his finest, with a hand picked opponent to make an impression on the world for his UFC debut.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
That's cool Mopar. Nick always seemed like a really cool guy. I kind of miss his "heelish" ways before he became the champ. I always enjoyed the rough attitude even though it pissed people off. It reminded me of Roddy Piper in a way. I hope he either knocks out or submits Noons who is a little too cocky for my liking... sort of like how Diego Sanchez was before he got his spanking.
Diaz really is a nice guy in person, believe it or not. Polite and good sense of humor to pretty much everybody. But the dude literally, since he was a kid, has nothing in his life except fighting. It's all he thinks about, all he does, all he has done since he was a kid. He matted his bedroom and he and his friends would just grapple all the time, etc... it's all he does. He acts the way he does toward other fighters, but not to "regular people".

In my experience, anyway.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:05 AM
I believe you. Nick seems like the nicest guy in the world. Just don't say anything about his mother.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fanatic View Post
Here's the baddest man on the planet at his finest, with a hand picked opponent to make an impression on the world for his UFC debut.

and?

He has dominated since that night.

He is going to wipe the floor with Cain.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
He has dominated since that night.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Anybody watched Primtime the last two weeks? I thought it did great for Lesnar's character. I hated him when he first came into the sport, because of the WWE stigma that he probably won't escape any time soon, and was overjoyed to see Mir sub him. When he fought Heath Herring I was really hoping Herring would pull out the win, despite the fact that he's pretty much a journeyman whose biggest asset is his toughness, and isn't very good at any one thing. Lesnar won, which didn't surprise me, and then was a douche in the postfight, which also didn't surprise me. Then he beat Randy Couture, which is when I started to gain some small measure of respect for him. Then came Mir, which didn't really surprise anyone, and his assbaggery after that fight was epic. His diverticulitis story had me angry, 'cuz I knew if he was permanently disabled all the douchebag know-nothing fans would be talking about how much he WOULD have done, if not blah blah. Against Carwin, he got his ass whipped in round one, and I gained that much more respect when he came back.

That is almost the extent of Lesnar's career, that I just talked about. How anyone can call someone so unproven "the best in the world" is completely fuckin beyond me. With Fedor, you have over 30 fights against top-flight competition where he didn't just win, most of the time he dominated. That can't even be said of Brock. Whereas Velasquez, that guy has not only gone undefeated, but has run through everyone in front of him, even Big Nog. I know, he didn't really run through Kongo in the normal sense of the term, but he did absolutely own every second of that fight besides the three or four where he was rocked, and that's the only time he's ever had to safe-bet it to a victory. How is Lesnar going to win this, honestly? What tools does he have that will lead anyone to believe he's going to? His ground and pound is hardly historic, beating Frank Mir that way proves nothing. Nor does beating an old-ass Couture whose chin was shot after losing to Chuck twice. I know, I hate it too, 'cuz I love Randy just as much as the next guy, but facts is facts. Lesnar "dominating" three guys means nothing, especially when you consider how well Randy did in the clinch and how Mir looked pretty fuckin good on the feet at the beginning of the second until he tried an ill-advised flying knee and put himself on his own ass. And by no stretch of the word did Brock dominate Carwin. It's Carwin's weaknesses that lost him that fight, that is painfully obvious.

Anyway, I came on here to say that I dig Lesnar's attitude in these Primetime episodes, and am actually starting to like the guy. But that's not gonna do him any good next weekend. How anyone can call this to Lesnar is a mystery to me.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 AM
The 5-1 record doesn't really bother me as much. It's not the basis for "baddest man on the planet" (a title that belongs only to Tyson), but it doesn't indicate anything seriously wrong either. Couture was one of the best and his record is horrendous when you take a superficial look at it. It's the technique that counts, and Lesnar doesn't have much of one. He couldn't throw and land a punch to save his life. I know his background is wrestling, but nobody wants to be seen as a one-dimensional fighter because it's a hard image to shake off.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
The 5-1 record doesn't really bother me as much. It's not the basis for "baddest man on the planet" (a title that belongs only to Tyson), but it doesn't indicate anything seriously wrong either. Couture was one of the best and his record is horrendous when you take a superficial look at it. It's the technique that counts, and Lesnar doesn't have much of one. He couldn't throw and land a punch to save his life. I know his background is wrestling, but nobody wants to be seen as a one-dimensional fighter because it's a hard image to shake off.
A) The baddest man on the planet is Fedor. I'm not a Pride nuthugging douche, like so many Fedor fans are, in fact I was one of the few people chanting UFC in 2005. But Fedor's loss to Werdum takes absolutely nothing away from his legacy, in my eyes, and if you put him in there against Tyson in MMA rules I would legit bet the house on Fedor.

B) I forgot what B was. Velasquez is gonna win, I think that was it.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
But Fedor's loss to Werdum takes absolutely nothing away from his legacy, in my eyes, and if you put him in there against Tyson in MMA rules I would legit bet the house on Fedor.
Seriously? Dude, I was in no way suggesting that Tyson should fight Fedor in MMA. That would be insanity. The nickname "Baddest Man on the Planet" was from the 80's and is widely identified with Tyson. Giving that nickname to a guy with a 5-1 record, even if it's an MMA fighter, is just a little ridiculous to me. That's all I was saying.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:43 AM
UFC 120 was pretty good for a free show. Patrick/Wilks was boring, Kongo/Browne was weird. I was surprised at Hathaway getting dominated like that by Pyle. I am very happy that Carlos Condit knocked out Dan Hardy, after GSP beats Koscheck again, Jon Fitch should get his overdue rematch and I definitely think Condit should get the winner of Shields/Kampmann for #1 contender. I was rooting for Akiyama in the main event, he rocked Bisping a few times and I really dont see Bisping ever becoming champion, i think he will be like Kenny Florian and just never quite get there, I dont think he has a chance against guys like Okami, Marquardt, Sonnen and obviously Anderson Silva.

also there were some great moments when they cut to people in the audience, when nobody cared about RDJ, Guy Ritchie and Jude Law and then going crazy for the boxer, then of course Jon Jones wave and dance.

Last edited by Canto; 10-17-2010 at 09:27 AM..
Old 10-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Dan Hardy is having a bit of a career crisis now after losing two straight. Sure, the first was forgivable against St. Pierre, a superior athlete whom nobody expected him to beat, but he was fully capable of beating Condit and instead got KO'd inside one. He was supposed to be climbing his way into the upper echelons of the sport, but the step up in competition is clearly too much for him at this stage.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Watching Dan Hardy get knocked out was so great. The guy's just too cocky for his limited skill set as a fighter. I was going for Condit and I'm glad he outmatched Hardy. That was a nice clean knockout.

I'm also glad that Pyle won! I was rooting for him and he pulled through a dominant victory over Hathaway. I think training under Randy Couture has helped him a great deal. He had some really great takedowns over Hathaway and kept him down with ease through most of the fight. I'll be interested to see if Pyle can keep this up. Pyle-Hathaway and Condit-Hardy were the two best fights of the night. Everything else was a bit of a bore. You're right Canto... there's nowhere for Bisping to go except to stay in the exact same place. He's a good fighter, not a great one.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
I saw this on another board and had to share the amazingness.

Dan Hardy got knocked the fuck out

I was hoping Sexyama would beat Bisping, but it didn't play out.

As for Cain/Brock, I want Brock to win, but I'm going with Cain. Although, if Brock still has that swank lumberjack beard, the power of the beard might force him to win.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 10-18-2010 at 02:39 PM..
Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Anybody watched Primtime the last two weeks? I thought it did great for Lesnar's character. I hated him when he first came into the sport, because of the WWE stigma that he probably won't escape any time soon, and was overjoyed to see Mir sub him. When he fought Heath Herring I was really hoping Herring would pull out the win, despite the fact that he's pretty much a journeyman whose biggest asset is his toughness, and isn't very good at any one thing. Lesnar won, which didn't surprise me, and then was a douche in the postfight, which also didn't surprise me. Then he beat Randy Couture, which is when I started to gain some small measure of respect for him. Then came Mir, which didn't really surprise anyone, and his assbaggery after that fight was epic. His diverticulitis story had me angry, 'cuz I knew if he was permanently disabled all the douchebag know-nothing fans would be talking about how much he WOULD have done, if not blah blah. Against Carwin, he got his ass whipped in round one, and I gained that much more respect when he came back.

That is almost the extent of Lesnar's career, that I just talked about. How anyone can call someone so unproven "the best in the world" is completely fuckin beyond me. With Fedor, you have over 30 fights against top-flight competition where he didn't just win, most of the time he dominated. That can't even be said of Brock. Whereas Velasquez, that guy has not only gone undefeated, but has run through everyone in front of him, even Big Nog. I know, he didn't really run through Kongo in the normal sense of the term, but he did absolutely own every second of that fight besides the three or four where he was rocked, and that's the only time he's ever had to safe-bet it to a victory. How is Lesnar going to win this, honestly? What tools does he have that will lead anyone to believe he's going to? His ground and pound is hardly historic, beating Frank Mir that way proves nothing. Nor does beating an old-ass Couture whose chin was shot after losing to Chuck twice. I know, I hate it too, 'cuz I love Randy just as much as the next guy, but facts is facts. Lesnar "dominating" three guys means nothing, especially when you consider how well Randy did in the clinch and how Mir looked pretty fuckin good on the feet at the beginning of the second until he tried an ill-advised flying knee and put himself on his own ass. And by no stretch of the word did Brock dominate Carwin. It's Carwin's weaknesses that lost him that fight, that is painfully obvious.

Anyway, I came on here to say that I dig Lesnar's attitude in these Primetime episodes, and am actually starting to like the guy. But that's not gonna do him any good next weekend. How anyone can call this to Lesnar is a mystery to me.
What's gotten Lesnar this far is his size and strength. Lesnar weighs in at the max limit at 265 for a heavyweight. Which is mostly water weight a week before the fight he cuts(as do boxers). When he steps into the ring the next day he's probably weighing in at around 290.

Cain will loose tomorrow. It will take one of the more heavy hitters like Dos Santos or a Carwin rematch to take him out.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:48 AM
Quote:
I disagree with the first part of your statement.

I think Couture only has that reputation overrated hype/status is the fact that he's been around this long and although he looses lots of fights, while not looking like shit, he also represents the sport very well.

Couldn't agree with you more though with Lesnar. His boxing skills are horrendous. Like I stated above all he has going for him is his size and strength in wrestling.

Those who are comparing boxing to mma(big fan of both)is apples and oranges. If Lesnar couldn't take a punch from Carwin imagine what Tyson would have done to him in the 80's?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fanatic View Post
I disagree with the first part of your statement.

I think Couture only has that reputation overrated hype/status is the fact that he's been around this long and although he looses lots of fights, while not looking like shit, he also represents the sport very well.

Couldn't agree with you more though with Lesnar. His boxing skills are horrendous. Like I stated above all he has going for him is his size and strength in wrestling.

Those who are comparing boxing to mma(big fan of both)is apples and oranges. If Lesnar couldn't take a punch from Carwin imagine what Tyson would have done to him in the 80's?
You're right, he's done a good job of representing the sport. Even when he loses, he puts up a fight. He always fought hard like a champion even though age caught up to him earlier than other MMA pioneers. Plus, as we saw in his last fight, regardless of age he can take any sucker to school if they don't know what they're doing.

The nickname thing I merely brought up because I had a problem with applying "Baddest Man on the Planet" to a guy who's just getting started. Brock Lesnar is a big guy, with some skills (I won't deny him that), yet not a fearsome conquerer or destroyer of men like the man originally given that nickname. In his last fight, he showed serious vulnerability with his lack of defense and striking skills. He showed heart and survived the onslaught, but really, who was watching that fight and thought "Wow, that guy is a bad, scary dude"? The nickname would have been more suited for Fedor, even though he's rebounding from a rare loss.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm hyped for tonight's show.

I'm still split on who will win between Cain and Brock. I might change my pick to Brock based on the beard.

LOOK AT IT!! Based on Dana's facial expression, it smells too, so Brock's strategy might be to take Cain down and the smell of his beard will cause Cain to tap out.

They should change his nickname from the tired "Baddest Man On The Planet" to "Super Viking" Brock Lesnar.

They shouldn't give the nickname Baddest Man On The Planet to a guy going in to his seventh fight. Fedor or someone like Anderson Silva should have that nickname.

Also, I wonder what Tito's excuse will be if he loses to Matt Hamill tonight.

My predictions:

Brock (For serious reasons based on his freaky ability to survive Carwin's onslaught and I don't think Cain hits as hard as Carwin, plus as Cosmic Puppet put it, his "tard strength" as those goofy baby punches have some serious power to them.)
Shields
Matt Hamill
Thiago
Gonzaga

and I hope Tom Lawlor wins on the Prelims.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 10-23-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Just to clarify, Brando, I wasn't suggesting that Tyson didn't deserve that name. I think I gave off entirely the wrong impression with that post at the top of this page. It's just that you brought up Tyson and how folks used to call him that, which made me think of how I don't believe any boxer deserves that moniker because I would bet against them in favor of an MMA fighter. Like Mopar said they're apples and oranges as sports, and I don't mean to dog on boxing, but it's just that MMA is closer to "real" fighting. The baddest boxer in the world just has to be taken down, and he's not the baddest anymore. So the "baddest man on the planet" deal, if it belongs to anyone, should belong to a mixed martial artist. Perhaps Fedor (that'd get my vote), perhaps someone else, but certainly not Brock, I'm glad everyone agrees on that.

Anyway, here's my picks on the fights with fighters I know enough about to comment on. Fights like Yang/Camozzi or Guymon/Roberts I haven't seen enough of the fighters to talk about.

Gilbert Yvel vs. Jon Madsen - 1st rd KO. I know the signs all point to a lay-n-pray decision by Madsen, but I think (okay, hope) that Yvel still has something in him, despite how drastically he's fallen off lately. When he's on, he's got the hands to put anybody away, and that's what I'm hoping will happen here tonight. This is more of a wishful thinking vote, but it also has every chance of coming true.

Sam Stout vs Paul Taylor - Decision. Neither guy is really very relevant, but they've both shown flashes of brilliance here and there. Taylor tends to get in brawls more, which I don't think is gonna work out very well for him this time. He's tough enough to keep Stout from finishing him, though, so Stout will take the D.

Tom Lawlor vs Patrick Cote - 2nd rd submission. Poor Cote. I've always liked that dude, and have rooted for him every since he fought Tito and managed to survive back when Tito was actually dangerous. When he dropped to middleweight I thought he'd fare much better, and he has, but his glaring weakness will kick him in the ass again this fight. His submission defense just sucks. And Lawlor has proven that his submission game is no joke, so as much as I hate to say it I'm pretty sure we're gonna see Cote tap. Probably by armbar.

Brendan Schaub vs Gabriel Gonzaga - 1st rd KO. Meh. I don't really care much about this fight, to be honest. Wins over Tuscherer and Gormley really don't mean jack shit for Schaub, and Gonzaga hasn't done much of note since CroCop except prove that he can lose. Gonzaga ain't got the power of Nelson and won't KO Schaub, but Schaub can definitely finish Gonzaga. That's what I see happening early on.

Matt Hamill vs Tito Ortiz - Decision. This will probably be a wrestling clinic. Yeah, I know that usually two wrestlers will negate each other and end up striking, but I think Hamill's gonna come out to prove that he can beat Tito at his own game and do just that. That being said, both guys manage to make wrestling watchable, in that they try to improve position and don't just lay-n-pray, so it will probably be a good fight anyway.

Diego Sanchez vs Paulo Thiago - 2nd rd TKO. Thiago has not been impressive outside of his lucky punch against Koscheck, and after the Hathaway fight Diego's probably going to try to prove something. I think his wrestling is going to win this fight, and his submission defense is strong enough to keep him out of trouble while he takes Thiago down and pounds him out.

Martin Kampmann vs Jake Shields - Decision. This is supposed to be Shield's UFC coming-out party, but those rarely work out as planned. And Kampmann's just a bad matchup for him. He has good enough takedown defense to keep Shields at bay, and good enough hands to outstrike him. This isn't a 5-rounder where Shields can just out-cardio his opponent later on, he's gonna have to start quick, which he rarely does. Kampmann might lose the third, but will look good enough in the first two to take the D.

Cain Velasquez vs Brock Lesnar - 1st rd submission. Yep, I think it's gonna happen that fast. I will be rooting for Lesnar here (and if you'd have told me that a year ago I would've laughed), but Cain is gonna hurt Lesnar early and either TKO or sub him. I'm going with sub simply because Lesnar survived the Carwin onslaught, although it could conceivably have been stopped there. Still, I can see Cain being more apt to go for position over punching, so sub it is.

Feel free to mock me if I'm wrong. I sincerely hope I am about the main event, and will gladly point and laugh at myself if it means Lesnar wins, but I don't see it happening.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Just to clarify, Brando, I wasn't suggesting that Tyson didn't deserve that name. I think I gave off entirely the wrong impression with that post at the top of this page. It's just that you brought up Tyson and how folks used to call him that, which made me think of how I don't believe any boxer deserves that moniker because I would bet against them in favor of an MMA fighter. Like Mopar said they're apples and oranges as sports, and I don't mean to dog on boxing, but it's just that MMA is closer to "real" fighting. The baddest boxer in the world just has to be taken down, and he's not the baddest anymore. So the "baddest man on the planet" deal, if it belongs to anyone, should belong to a mixed martial artist. Perhaps Fedor (that'd get my vote), perhaps someone else, but certainly not Brock, I'm glad everyone agrees on that.
In "real" fighting, you don't have to make weight to kick some guy's ass. People typically don't wrestle in the streets, either. It's not like if you've got somebody in a choke hold, you're going to let go once they tap out. That's silly. In reality, people fight a lot uglier.

I don't consider either one to be a pure martial art. They are combat sports. Both require a degree of intellect and skill, but in the end they are both contests with a specific set of guidelines and safety precautions. Unless Frankie Edgar fights Fedor, that will never change.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
In "real" fighting, you don't have to make weight to kick some guy's ass. People typically don't wrestle in the streets, either. It's not like if you've got somebody in a choke hold, you're going to let go once they tap out. That's silly. In reality, people fight a lot uglier.
I don't consider either one to be a pure martial art. They are combat sports. Both require a degree of intellect and skill, but in the end they are both contests with a specific set of guidelines and safety precautions. Unless Frankie Edgar fights Fedor, that will never change.
The UFC started out as "real" fighting, and it sucked. Making weight has to do with keeping the fights competitive as, at this stage in the game and with fighters as competent as they are, a heavyweight who's well-rounded is obviously gonna beat a lightweight who is. People don't wrestle in the streets because most people can't, but if you put a wrestler out there you bet your ass he's gonna be slamming guys around in a streetfight and beating the piss out of dudes like Tank Abbott who think swinging wild-ass haymakers is "real" fighting. Boxers used to be perceived as the baddest dudes because that was how people thought of fighting, and by people I mean your average schlub. MMA has redefined how people think of it and yeah, I have seen a dude choke another guy out in a bar fight. No, he doesn't tap, he goes to sleep. Or if it were an armbar, gets his shit broken. The skill set that MMA fighters have is going to give them a heavy advantage in almost any situation, no matter who you put them up against. With a boxer, that isn't even remotely close to true. What I meant was that MMA is the closest we can get to real fighting where anything goes, while trying to keep some measure of safety. It's the culmination of all traditional or pure martial arts, and boxing, and wrestling. I'm sure I'm telling you shit you already know, but I tend to ramble.

If I get in a bar fight, you're goddamn right I'm going to immediately try to take the other dude down. Standing there wailing each other in the face is just moronic, and if you approach someone with a take-down mindset that way chances are you're gonna get whooped, no matter where you are. What you're saying about "real" fighting being ugly, and the lack of subs or wrestling, is because most people don't have the skills, not because it doesn't apply. MMA applies in any situation, barring weapons, whereas boxing only applies if your opponent agrees to stand there in front of you.

Anyway, if I'm coming off argumentative, I'm not trying to be. Boxing is a sport and so is MMA, and as sports you're right, they have to have guidelines. All I was saying was that this is as near as we can get to a real fight.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Fuck, Cain did it. I wanted Brock to win, but Cain destroyed him which is something I didn't expect. I was thinking Brock would gas out in the third round and Cain would win but I wasn't expecting Brock to gas out a minute in the fight. I was hoping Brock would overpower Cain and use Brock Smash to win. Still, Brock despite getting a megapush early in his career is still inexperienced and will probably improve even more. Brock will probably learn more techniques (Hopefully, he works on his striking) from this loss and to not rely on his strength and size to win.I would enjoy Brock vs Minotauro or especially enjoy Brock vs Roy Nelson. Sadly, it seems like Brock/Mir III was their backup plan to whenever Brock lossed. I don't care about that fight at all and after his shitty performance against Cro Cop, Mir doesn't deserve a high profile fight. Cain vs Junior Dos Santos is going to be great. Cain looked like such a beast tonight, total star making performance.

Shields/Kampmann was a dull fight and a very unimpressive debut for Jake Shields. It was the opposite of Cain Velasquez's incredible performance. He was gassed after round one and a smarter fighter would've easily beat him. Koscheck or especially GSP would've destroyed the Shields of tonight.

Sanchez/Thiago was an awesome fight. Sanchez looked probably the best he ever has and they had such an exciting fight. I loved Thiago monkey flipping Sanchez only for Diego to pick him up and deliver a running screaming slam.

Tito/Hamill was a good fight, but Tito needs to retire. He looked better than he has in a while, but their were so many opportunities where the Tito from five or six years ago would've destroyed Hamill. He's known for his awesome ground and pound yet he only goes for one takedown the entire fight. I know the guy's only 35, but still he's been fighting for 13 years and the sport seems to have passed him by.

Schaub/Gonzaga was a chore to sit through and is the official end of Gabriel Gonzaga as any kind of threat. Although, he hasn't been a contender since Carwin destroyed him. He's a Brazilian Jujitsu guy, but he chooses to stick with his shitty standup because he caught Cro Cop with a headkick three years ago. I could see him being cut sometime in the next year. Schaub's striking looked good, but he couldn't finish Gonzaga when he had many chances to.

Plus, Tom Lawlor won!!!

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 10-24-2010 at 01:10 AM..
Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 AM
I was gonna avoid this forum like th plague until I saw the fights, but I have some retarded friends who posted the results on Facebook. Who fucking does that? Good for Cain though, it's about time that someone derailed that train of a man. Don't get me wrong, Brock earned my respect beating some tough guys... but as I've said many times: I don't think he's as talented as he is big.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourahioro View Post
I was gonna avoid this forum like th plague until I saw the fights, but I have some retarded friends who posted the results on Facebook. Who fucking does that? Good for Cain though, it's about time that someone derailed that train of a man. Don't get me wrong, Brock earned my respect beating some tough guys... but as I've said many times: I don't think he's as talented as he is big.
He is a big man and doesn't have that much technique, but Brock has all the potential in the world to be a great fighter. I guess you can say the same about the likes of Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovsky although both turned out to be mediocre in the longrun. Unlike those two, Brock seems to know that he's not that great yet and wants to improve on his flaws unlike Sylvia and Arlovski who never learned anything from their flaws and now are losing to the likes of Ray Mercer and Brett Rogers in embarrasing fashion.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 10-24-2010 at 01:35 AM..
Old 10-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I was thinking Brock would gas out in the third round and Cain would win but I wasn't expecting Brock to gas out a minute in the fight.
He didn't gas out. He got his ass whooped. There's a big fuckin difference. And no offense, but comparing Lesnar to Sylvia is ridiculous. They both had to cut weight to get to 265, but that's where the similarities end. Sylvia is a big lumbering dumbass who would get his ass handed to him by Lesnar 9 times out of 10. Arlovski's a better comparison, but he's neither as big or powerful as Lesnar, and his chin is made of paper mache. Neither guy was ever billed as the next big thing, or the baddest man on the planet, or the greatest of all time. Those guys' limitations were evident from the time they gained the spotlight, their potential was weak from day one and everybody knew it. The UFC just got their PR machine rolling and tried to make it out otherwise. Lesnar, his potential is legit. He got the shit beat out of him tonight, and even though he turtled up and earned a real stoppage, he didn't leave the fight. If he learns to deal with hurt better, Lesnar's ceiling is limitless. But he'll still get his ass kicked by Velasquez, because even if he'd handled that better he still would've been outclassed.

As for Shields, it went pretty much the opposite of how I thought it was going to, with Shields winning the first two and Kampmann gaining speed in the third. Shields' days as a contender are numbered, and I think there's quite a few WW's who will beat him if he looked like he did tonight. Maybe he should go back to middleweight.

Ortiz sucks, but that was expected. What I didn't expect was for Hamill to look as shitty as he did. I was actually sorta impressed with Tito in the first few minutes, and as a long-time Tito hater that's saying a lot, but that didn't last long. I think if Hamill had had a bit more motivation or skill, I don't know which, he could have finished that fight.

Paulo Thiago looked absolutely outstanding in the first round. I was shocked. But apparently he siphoned gas from Carwin's tank, 'cuz he was done after that. Which is depressing, 'cuz I think Thiago would have been much more intriguing a legit contender in the division than Diego.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:10 AM
That fight was pure magic. I thought the fights for the most part were so-so except for Diego's win, but the main event was the best damn fight you could hope for. As soon as Cain defended Brock's takedown, I knew everything was going to go right. Cain was going to stick to a game plan and win the fight. Technique overcame brute strength. Cain exposed Brock's weaknesses even worse than Carwin.

It was one of the all time heavyweight beat downs and I'm so happy to have witnessed it at a bar packed full of MMA fans who were jumping through the roof of the place the entire fight. Everybody went wild when Brock tucked and rolled across the octagon. It looked like a pratfall.

Cain beat Abel! I mean, David beat Goliath. Or... Jack chopped Brock's bean stock. I mean, he fucking him beat Brock like he was a five dollar whore.

It's one of the highlights of the year for me.

And that Shields victory for me was somewhat bullshit. I would have called it a draw. Neither fighter deserved the win but if I had to choose, I would have gone with Campmann. At least he tried to do a bit more. It was exactly what I feared: Shields laying on top of a guy for 3 rounds.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Awesome PPV, Schaub did great against Gonzaga, I really like Matt Hammill and Im glad he beat Tito, Diego Sanchez/Paulo Thiago was fantastic, Jake Shields is lucky that Martin Kampmann is an idiot and tried to grapple with him instead of strike when he was clearly exhausted, and then of course

Cain Velasquez performed like someone that actually deserves the title of "Baddest Man on the Planet" that was one of the most exciting fights I have ever seen, I was surprised that Brock stood up with him as much as he did, he looked a little better than he did with Shane Carwin, but Cain's stand up is just so good. I respect Brock, he didnt back down and he came charging in which was pretty crazy.

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos!! I cant wait!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't think JDS has a chance against Velasquez, and I'd have said that yesterday even if they were in a contender match. He's got punching power, sure, but the fact that he couldn't put Roy Nelson away is not good for him. Nelson's no joke, don't get me wrong, but Velasquez has three times the skill set.