Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 PM

Ian Dingman's cover work for Wes Anderson keeps in the style of his Bottle Rocket cover and Wes' brothers work for The Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic and Rushmore.

I have to admit i'm not the greatest fan of The Darjeeling Limited, though i only saw it once in theaters. It's probably my least favorite pictures from Wes. I may give it a rental when the criterion collection comes out though.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Hey, hey it's the Monkees......Head!
This confirms the rumor i posted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
And smack dab at number one is one hell of a rumor. here's an article detailing more about 'said' rumor...

http://criterioncast.com/2010/06/02/...this-november/

A BLU-RAY BOX SET OF BOB RAFLESON/BERT SCHNIEDER 70's CLASSICS including Five Easy Pieces/ Head/ King of Marvin Gardens/ The Last Picture Show/ Easy Rider/ A Safe Place/ Drive
Refleson pretty much invented the Monkee's show. That, and they are on a bike. Very exited to see it confirmed.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Last Picture Show on Criterion blu-ray? Yes please!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Do not get the Criterion release of L'enfance Nue. It is the single ugliest job I've seen from them. The MOC can be found for $14 US on their site during their monthly sales and is R0. I'm just shocked how ugly the Crit is, go see for yourselves.
http://www.criterion.com/current/pos...n-lenfance-nue
Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
November is go for broke month; all blu

And the big daddy of them all:
Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 PM
As much as I appreciate the BBS box, I really only want "Drive He Said" and "A Safe Place" out of it, since I already have all the other titles (as well as "Easy Rider" on Blu-ray). : ?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
The cover art for night of the hunter is awesome.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Is that Antichrist Criterion real?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Sweet mother of God! Oh how I wish I had an endless supply of moneys...both October and November are brilliant.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
Is that Antichrist Criterion real?
Yeah, it's been official that it was coming for a few months now. It just didn't have a release date until now.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
As much as I appreciate the BBS box, I really only want "Drive He Said" and "A Safe Place" out of it, since I already have all the other titles (as well as "Easy Rider" on Blu-ray). : ?
I'm not sure if there's one on the sony Blu, but Easy Rider comes with a Dennis Hopper commentary. If found at a cheap price, next B&N sale, that alone is worth the whole box (hearing The Monkees be uncomfortable helps too). I also have to imagine Five Easy Pieces will be vastly improved. The extras are definitely the reason for this set.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure if there's one on the sony Blu, but Easy Rider comes with a Dennis Hopper commentary. If found at a cheap price, next B&N sale, that alone is worth the whole box (hearing The Monkees be uncomfortable helps too). I also have to imagine Five Easy Pieces will be vastly improved. The extras are definitely the reason for this set.
I guess I'll have to hope someone sells the films individually on eBay or something after they come out.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 PM
The Night of the Hunter, is all I'll need.

Its a shame that there aren't any Mitchum extras, but I cant complain.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Just when I think I'm done spending massive amounts of money on Criterions they pull me back in...
Old 08-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saruman View Post
How come hardly anything recognizable gets a Criterion? Who picks these films?
It's because they want to recognize important flims that don't have a dvd or blue ray, but you will see known movies like Micheal Bay having a Criterion.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:18 PM
^Exactly, they are trying to get great, yet possibly obscure, films more exposure that they might not have otherwise. If it weren't for Criterion, countless wonderful classic and foreign films would not be available on Region 1 DVD. Why would they waste resources releasing mainstream films that already have good DVD releases?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:34 PM
The casual movie fan doesn't cared about these types of films but us that want to see the obscure classics and foreign movies would have to pay tons of money on movies from Amazon overseas. I like it for what I said in my post. It doesn't need to exposure shit like Epic Movie when there more movies out there that deserve it more.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
^Exactly, they are trying to get great, yet possibly obscure, films more exposure that they might not have otherwise. If it weren't for Criterion, countless wonderful classic and foreign films would not be available on Region 1 DVD. Why would they waste resources releasing mainstream films that already have good DVD releases?
One must wonder why they'd bother?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Not all the time do they releases classic and foreign movies. The Rock and Benjamin Button are the exception not the rule.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM
^Yep, releases like the Rock and Benjamin Button are most likely to make money for Criterion so they can continue focusing on obscure titles that won't sell as well.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:30 PM
...Or they just consider them important cinematic achievements that the production companies were probably too cheap to invest in a special 2-disc DVD set for. Also an option.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 PM
The special features for Ben Button were all produced by Fincher months before criterion was involved. Similarly the Bay (and some of Anderson's) movies have been handled by Disney (though I think crit produced their content). So in short, money speaks. Why are we talking about this though? We have a two disc Blu of Night of the Hunter to hoot and holler about.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post

Ian Dingman's cover work for Wes Anderson keeps in the style of his Bottle Rocket cover and Wes' brothers work for The Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic and Rushmore.

I have to admit i'm not the greatest fan of The Darjeeling Limited, though i only saw it once in theaters. It's probably my least favorite pictures from Wes. I may give it a rental when the criterion collection comes out though.
I love this film as does my mum
Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Is anyone considering getting Charade? I am but the list of extras is depressing compared to what I am spoiled with other Criterion titles
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 PM
NEWSLETTER CLUE

While I've never seen it, people are suggesting this means Kes is on its way.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I like the Darjeeling Limited artwork, don't see that many covers that are actually handddrawn (god bless you Drew Struzan.) I have yet to see the movie but will check out because of the Criterion treatment. Hoping we receive a Fantastic Mr. Fox Criterion with hand drawn artwork.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM
January releases

great to see blu samuel fuller.

Last edited by APzombie; 10-15-2010 at 03:11 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 04:01 PM
More notably on eclipse, featuring the first sound film to tackle homosexuality.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Love those Daniel Clowes covers on the Fuller films.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Ah, Broadcast News. James L. Brooks' greatest film and possibly the most criminally underrated romantic comedy in the history of film. Really tempted to get the Criterion edition...!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Say, this might be a really stupid question to a very obvious answer...but what is "The BBS Story"? I've heard of the films in the set, but what's the "BBS" connection all about?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Hakari View Post
Say, this might be a really stupid question to a very obvious answer...but what is "The BBS Story"? I've heard of the films in the set, but what's the "BBS" connection all about?
Taken from the Criterion page:
Quote:
SYNOPSIS: Like the rest of America, Hollywood was ripe for revolution in the late sixties. Cinema attendance was down; what had once worked seemed broken. Enter Bob Rafelson, Bert Schneider, and Steve Blauner, who knew that what Hollywood needed was new audiences—namely, young people—and that meant cultivating new talent and new ideas. Fueled by money from their invention of the superstar TV pop group the Monkees, they set off on a film-industry journey that would lead them to form BBS Productions, a company that was also a community. The innovative films produced by this team between 1968 and 1972 are collected in this box set—works that now range from the iconic (Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, The Last Picture Show) to the acclaimed (The King of Marvin Gardens) to the obscure (Head; Drive, He Said; A Safe Place), all created within the studio system but lifted right out of the countercultural id.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Ah, Broadcast News. James L. Brooks' greatest film and possibly the most criminally underrated romantic comedy in the history of film. Really tempted to get the Criterion edition...!
This man speaks the truth!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Honestly, I liked both "As Good As It Gets" and "Spanglish" better. But it's definitely better than "Terms of Endearment" or "I'll Do Anything."

Pretty underwhelming month, as I already have the previous editions of all the new releases... although that Basil Dearden set does look intriguing.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Looks like they're done with releasing anything just in standard DVD format, and all new releases are getting a BluRay release. Except for Eclipse of course, those are still standard format.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
Taken from the Criterion page:
Cronos, you're a prince.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Anyone watched House yet? So incredibly bizarre
Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahs View Post
Anyone watched House yet? So incredibly bizarre
Got it right here from Netflix.

So I see the B&N Criterion sale is in full swing. The Human Condition is finally down to a halfway manageable price, but my fear is that once I get it, they'll immediately announce a Blu edition. Before I take the plunge, has anyone heard any truth to this, or should I be good to go?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Everything that is SD only and was produced after Bottle rocket won't go to Blu. Additionally Criterion have said that it is not cost effective for stuff like Human Condition and the War Trilogy to go to Blu.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:59 PM

De Palma's Blow Out?