Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 AM
I think he's just venting his frustration that the project is being delayed so much. McKellen has expressed many times before that he'd play Gandalf again in a heartbeat, all PJ has to do is call him up, and I don't doubt for a second that either of them would actually let the character go to another actor.

That said, like McKellen, I DO wish they'd get on with it already. We fans aren't sitting around waiting for the film either. Oh wait, we are.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 AM
Connery won't do it.

It's frustrating as hell hearing and reading all these things about The Hobbit because of the delay in production. Peter Jackson signing on to replace Guillermo del Toro was great news, but nobody can replace McKellan as Gandalf and do it as well as he did. It's understandable frustration from these guys who want to work, love to work, and are very good at doing what they do. Delays are part of the business, but delays for dumbass reasons are the most frustrating.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 PM
The One Ring.Net is listing a story that the role of Bilbo Baggins has already been settled and apparently just waiting for the greenlight. I won't reveal the name myself, I'll let all of you look at it for yourselves, but I will say that I think that it's a good pick. He does remind you of Sir Ian Holm.

Enjoy the, what seems like, non-ending controversy about this movie.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010...ins-after-all/
Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Meh. Surely they'll want a bigger name than that. And he doesn't look much younger than Holm...
Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm with Monotreme. I actually don't think McKellan will leave. I think this is more of a prod for MGM to hurry up and settle its affairs before everybody gets too old to even film the movie.

As for Sylvester McCoy, I can see him as Bilbo. He definitely has the look. I could also see him as Thorin. I don't mind that they're going for a smaller name for Bilbo. After all, it isn't like the LOTR cast had that many big names.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywalker17 View Post
Meh. Surely they'll want a bigger name than that. And he doesn't look much younger than Holm...
I would have no problem w/Sylvester McCoy as Bilbo. He doesn't bring a whole lot of baggage w/him to the roll, as a really famous name would. As for age, Bilbo was middle aged when he found the ring so this isn't too far off. McCoy, I believe, is in his mid 60s. Holm is 79.

I think he would be a good pick.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:42 AM
James Cameron Told Guillermo Del Toro to Quit "The Hobbit"

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=18667&count=0

Oh please. This bit annoyed me.

On a related note, Cameron also spoke to Entertainment Weekly, telling the magazine that "The Hurt Locker" would have been better in 3D. "I think [The Hurt Locker] would have been better in 3D. Absolutely," he said.

Give it up already. Fucking 3D bullshit

Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post

On a related note, Cameron also spoke to Entertainment Weekly, telling the magazine that "The Hurt Locker" would have been better in 3D. "I think [The Hurt Locker] would have been better in 3D. Absolutely," he said.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:

This week is just full of assholes. First George Lucas, and now the second greedy bastard of Hollywood comes out of the woodwork. Cameron is seriously a fucking idiot. Now I'm going to question Del Toro's full commitment to certain projects.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:

This is me going into fanboy mode, I apologize if anything I say is offensive, and here we go...

Hey James Cameron, FUCK YOU. FUCK YOU IN YOUR FUCKING FACE YOU FUCKING SACK OF FUCKING SHIT! You with your stupid fucking 3D bullshit on a bunch of fucking natives riding dragons, learn how to make a good fucking movie besides Terminator 2. Go fucking pray in your shitty little forest and don't you fucking dare tell Del Toro what to do, you are just a hack director who has made one good film. Fuck you, go make your stupid fucking Black Eyed Peas shit. We Lord of the Rings fan have been patiently waiting and waiting, no one cares about your stupid fucking Black Eyed Peas shit. Also fuck you and your stupid fucking 3D, you did NOTHING with it. Stop jacking off in 3D and learn how to make a good fucking film without it, you miserable cunt.

Sorry.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Looks like Martin Freeman is a our Bilbo. Cheers to that!

And McKellen is saying shooting starts in January.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/blogs/popc...102949384.html
http://thefilmstage.com/2010/09/14/m...99-gearing-up/
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Good choice.

When I was watching I'm Still Here, I thought to myself "Man, Joaquin Phoneix would make a great Bilbo Baggins." He seemed very hobbity in that mockumentary. Just a pipe dream though. No way in hell would a studio risk a $200 million film on that looney haha.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
Martin Freeman would be excellent casting.
that's right baby.

Me and like a thousand other guys called it. Good casting.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 PM
According to the LA Times, this is just about ready to get back off the ground (with Jackson at the helm, no less)!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
According to the LA Times, this is just about ready to get back off the ground (with Jackson at the helm, no less)!
This is exciting. Until I saw this:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...et-now-in-3-d/

Quote:
So “The Hobbit” will be in 3-D. That is a measure of how much the movie world has changed in the last year or so. In the dimly remembered recesses of, oh, 2009, people involved with the two-movie version of the J. R. R. Tolkien book, then to be directed by Guillermo del Toro, insisted that 2-D screen technology was just right for a pair of movies that were viewed as being a little more intimate than their sweeping precursors in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. Then came “Avatar,” “Alice in Wonderland,” and even the much-maligned “Clash of the Titans” — one film after another proving that viewers would pay a premium for 3-D, as long as the underlying movie wasn’t an utter bust.
Fuck. THIS. SHIT. We're all gonna die. This potentially beautiful film won't be shot on beautiful 35mm like Guillermo del Toro wanted. It'll be shot on Digital. DIGITAL. And in THREE FUCKING DEE. Fuck. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. FUCK.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
This is exciting. Until I saw this:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...et-now-in-3-d/

Fuck. THIS. SHIT. We're all gonna die. This potentially beautiful film won't be shot on beautiful 35mm like Guillermo del Toro wanted. It'll be shot on Digital. DIGITAL. And in THREE FUCKING DEE. Fuck. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. FUCK.

Normally, Monotreme, you and I have operated on the same (or at least similar wavelengths), but I think you're way off-base on this.

Personally, I don't give a damn for the film vs digital debate. Never have, never will. I am not a filmmaker, I am a filmgoer, so as long as the film itself is good, I wouldn't care if was filmed on stone tablets. As for 3D, that was always a consideration, and, for my part, I am fine with it as long as it is filmed that way from the beginning rather than converted in postproduction. All I care about is the film being good. How it's shot makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Dang! That's possibly the biggest rant I've given on this site.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I would prefer it not be 3D, but at least it won't be a post-conversion.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:26 PM
LOL! You guys are funny. You know most places are gonna offer the movie in 3D AND 2D. If you don't want to see it in 3D then watch it in 2D. Problem solved.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
LOL! You guys are funny. You know most places are gonna offer the movie in 3D AND 2D. If you don't want to see it in 3D then watch it in 2D. Problem solved.
Problem not solved. It's still going to be shot on digital. You guys have seen Public Enemies, you've seen The Lovely Bones; you know how terrible that shit looks as opposed to the crisp, textured cinematic look of 35mm! ESPECIALLY on a big epic period fantasy film like this! Come on, I can't be the only guy pissed off about this!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Problem not solved. It's still going to be shot on digital. You guys have seen Public Enemies, you've seen The Lovely Bones; you know how terrible that shit looks as opposed to the crisp, textured cinematic look of 35mm! ESPECIALLY on a big epic period fantasy film like this! Come on, I can't be the only guy pissed off about this!
Exactly. Something set in middle earth would benefit from 35mm, not digital.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
I actually thought Public Enemies looked great.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Not only did I hate Public Enemas, but it looked like shit on digital, The Lovely Bones didnt look any different to me. Im just finding out now it was digital.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickman View Post
Not only did I hate Public Enemas, but it looked like shit on digital, The Lovely Bones didnt look any different to me. Im just finding out now it was digital.
Well actually, most of that film was 35mm. However, there were certain shots spread out through it that you MUST have noticed - these really grainy extreme-close-ups of Stanley Tucci's character that were shot on digital and just look but-ass UGLY and completely take you out of the film. So imagine that, but in The Hobbit. Shudder.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:35 PM
im really looking forward to this movie. big fan of the series. i just hope it sticks to what made the other movies so good.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Greenlight!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Apparantly Michael Fassbender is being eyed for a key role. Thranduil, I guess?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 PM
If they're going digital, they should get Mihai Malaimare Jr. to shoot it. Tetro was one of the most gorgeous looking films to come out in 2009 and it was shot digitally. At least now they'll be able to integrate the effects better into the movie. I still think there was a lot shoddy CGI that looked pretty fake in the Lord of the Rings. But I know Weta has upped their game a great deal since then so that's cool...
Old 10-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Wasn't Che shot digitally? That movie looked like film as much as film did.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 AM
All Fincher movies are done digital nowadays, and they look pretty awesome.

BTW, you can easily make digital look like film. Film looks like film mainly because it has a lot of "errors" that give it a more organic look. Digital is too clean and crisp in comparison.

Digital cameras they use nowadays in Hollywood are so good, that the amount of information in the frame would allow them to rather easily filter it and give it a film-like look. Film still wins in color depth, but the new digi cameras are very close.

I'm pretty sure that if digital footage would be filtered well, nobody on this board would be able to tell the difference between film and digital. Only professional cinematographers might notice it, but you could probably fool many of them as well.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:43 AM
For the record, I agree that Fincher is currently the only director working in Hollywood who ACTUALLY makes digital look really good. The rest achieve various degrees of success, in my opinion. I can only hope that Jackson will do a good job and make it look good, but so far, all I have to go by are the scenes shot digitally in his last film, The Lovely Bones, and those were ugly as fuck.

Also, for the record, Che was shot mostly on 16mm, with some scenes shot on the RED and some on 35mm as well. So it's a real hodge-podge, and I don't remember it exactly right now, but I'm sure that if I took another look at it I could spot what was shot on film and what was digital. That's just the way it goes.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM
First of all, all cameras, film stocks and digital cameras are going to have differences in appearance. What is chosen is usually up to the cinematographer. Mann uses his grainy digital because thats an aesthetic choice.

My personal opinion is that I prefer grain over noise. That just means I think the grain on a frame of film looks so much more organic than your usual digital noise.

With that said, depending on the cinematographer, you really shouldnt be able to tell the difference.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't know how they're going to shoot it, but I'll be really surprised if it doesn't have the exact same look as the LOTR movies. I never saw The Lovely Bones, so I don't know how it looked, but I'm hoping PJ goes for the same style, look, appearance as the LOTR flicks.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I don't know how they're going to shoot it, but I'll be really surprised if it doesn't have the exact same look as the LOTR movies. I never saw The Lovely Bones, so I don't know how it looked, but I'm hoping PJ goes for the same style, look, appearance as the LOTR flicks.
Unfortunately... if this is going to be shot in 3D, this won't be the case. Aside from the digital footage looking and feeling different than film, 3D stipulates that this will be in a 16:9 aspect ratio instead of anamorphic 2.35:1. Also, PJ is going to let the eventual 3D effect stipulate certain compositions and elements within the frame. Just trying to prepare you all
Old 10-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
Apparantly Michael Fassbender is being eyed for a key role.
That would be pretty cool if both younger and older Magneto in the same movie.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Good point. I'd forgotten about it being shot in 3D.

Has that been confirmed? I'm starting to get my upcoming movies mixed up as to which ones definitely will be shot in 3D, those that won't be, and those that haven't made up their mind yet (like Harry Potter VII).
Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm surprised I'm the first to post this, but:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101022/...he_hobbit_cast

Jackson has announced the cast of The Hobbit:

Quote:
LOS ANGELES – Amid disputes over where "The Hobbit" movies will be shot, Peter Jackson and the executives behind film have announced the cast for the anticipated two-picture tale.

They say Martin Freeman will play hero Bilbo Baggins and Richard Armitage will portray Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the Company of Dwarves.

Jackson said in a statement Thursday that Freeman is "exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit." He called Armitage "one of the most exciting and dynamic actors working on screen today."

Other actors joining the ensemble cast are Aidan Turner, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow and Peter Hambleton.

"The Hobbit," based on the J.R.R. Tolkien novel, began production in New Zealand earlier this month. The films are set for release in December of 2012 and December of 2013.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 PM
... plus Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis all reprising their LOTR roles, right?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
... plus Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis all reprising their LOTR roles, right?
That's my understanding, yes.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I feel like the lot of us should cash up our winning or something, there were quite a few who championed Freeman a loooong time ago.

Great casting.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:23 PM
here is an interview done just an hour ago with Fran and Peter at the WETA stages in New Zealand (that STILL has The Hobbit sets being built) talking about how fucked up everything is right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoUN2...ayer_embedded#!

Just look at the bags under his eyes. Jesus, i hope he is the kind of artist that works best under pressure, because i think there is more pressure on him now than any other filmmaker. If he isn't, then God help him.

Quote:
interviewer: "Helen Kelly from the CTU said that you are acting like a spoiled brat."

Peter (shocked): "I'm trying to save me movie. She's behaving like somebody who thinks she knows about filmmaking- she hasn't got a God damned clue."

Last edited by APzombie; 10-21-2010 at 11:29 PM..