Old 10-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...nday-night%2F1

Bud Selig should be waving a white flag today.

Although baseball has long lost its claim to being the national pastime last night's events essentially stomped it into the ground. That the Tennessee-Jacksonville Monday Night Football game drew better TV ratings than the Yankees-Rangers ALCS game is astonishing, and makes you wonder if a good college football game could whip the best that MLB has to offer.

Consider:

The MNF game was an utter dog that made one wonder whether Jacksonville can handle the bright lights. Tennessee was totally in charge by 17-0 at intermission, and the only second-half drama revolved around waiting to see if Jack Del Rio would unhinge in front of a national audience.

Game 3 of the ALCS had a no-hitter going into the fifth inning, and was a 2-0 contest until the ninth.

The MNF game had zip for star power. Vince Young left the stage early with a sprained knee. Chris Johnson was corralled until the final minutes. Maurice Jones-Drew never got his bowling ball body rolling. And David Garrard also limped off early, making it a battle of backup QBs.

The ALCS had Cliff Lee pitching, and knocking on the door of history with his undefeated record in postseason play. It also had such household names as Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte.

The MNF game had little consequence for NFL fans. It was a battle between rivals in the AFC South, aka the NFL's pigeon hole for teams from mostly tiny markets.

The ALCS game had monstrous appeal for two of MLB's best demographics -- Yankee lovers and Yankee haters. And with Lee headed for free agency this was a game for every baseball fan to admire the game's hottest arm, and wonder where he'll go.

But no, instead the bigger set of eyes was affixed to a walkover game that Tennessee won 30-3, while high-stakes baseball took a backseat.

-- Tom Weir

Wow that just to show you how huge football is in America.
I can understand baseball losing to a NFL game but when its Tennessee and Jacksonville who have no history and the only star power on the roster is Chris Johnson and the fact the game was over by half time is really shocking.

The fact it was a game involving the Yankees is even more shocking to me.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Yeah, it will probably be 3-1, but I love how you jump to such conclusions before the game is even over after the Yankees embarrassed the Rangers in game 1 coming back from being down five runs. The Yankees are not playing well in this series and probably won't win the series, but all of this "Sabathia is garbage" and "they've only won one inning" shit is nonsense. It's ignorant and the stuff of kindergarten playtime arguments. Sabathia ruled the playoffs last year and had an excellent year this year. He's a great pitcher.

BTW, Burnett pitched a very solid game. He was probably left in an inning too long considering the amount of days rest he had, but he clearly out-pitched Hunter and was throwing some nasty curves.
3-1.

BTW, It was a Yankees manager that said his team has only won 1 inning, not me.

Hunter is our 4th pitcher in the rotation and is, in general, pretty much garbage. We still won.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
False. You said it and you clearly weren't quoting him. Yes, he said it first -- as I pointed out, many people said it -- but it's a silly and worthless point no matter who's making it.

Quote:
Hunter is our 4th pitcher in the rotation and is, in general, pretty much garbage. We still won.
Well, according to you, the Yankees #1 guy is "garbage." And Burnett has been worse this year than Hunter.

The Yankees certainly aren't done, but obviously the road is tough. Girardi is a large part of the problem, as is the poor performances by the 2-3-4 hitters. Regardless, and I'm not saying this because of the admittedly flawed and asterisk-deserving stats, Jeter might go down as the best postseason hitter of all time.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
And also I'd like to add fuck you A.J Burnett only because I watched him pitch one good season out of 3 with the Blue Jays knowing he was going to opt out of his contract and go to the highest bidder. I'm really enjoying the shitty year he's having.
He wanted the same thing as your favorite pitcher Roy Halladay... to play with a team that doesn't suck.

Quote:
3-1.
Did I say otherwise? I simply said not to jump to conclusions before a game is even over. You should know that given the game 1 collapse. And just after you posted that, the Yankees loaded the bases with 1 out. One bad pitch in that situation and this series is more than likely 2-2.

Quote:
It doesn't matter who said it, it's an idiotic point that makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Quote:
We still won.
Congrats.

On a different note, how about those Giants? Everyone expected Philly to roll over them, but they are playing very well and look like the most impressive team out of all 4 currently left in the postseason.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
He wanted the same thing as your favorite pitcher Roy Halladay... to play with a team that doesn't suck.
The difference is Roy Halladay was the same player year after year and actually took less money after he got traded to Philly then he could have gotten.

A.J. Burnett had an opt out clause which out of the 3 years he pitched in Toronto he had 1 good year the year leading up to it so he could get more money he was going to the highest bidder regardless if they were a winner or not.

I wasn't a fan of his attitude the 3 seasons he was in Toronto either.

It just happenned to be the Yankees that ended up overpaying to sign him and seeing the year he's having this year it looks good on him.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
The difference is Roy Halladay was the same player year after year and actually took less money after he got traded to Philly then he could have gotten.
But this just confirms my point, he wanted out of Toronto and was willing to take less money to get away from that team and away from other non-contenders.

Burnett was a bit of a different scenario, but in general it was very similar. He wanted out of Toronto and wanted to play with a contender. And one of the most legitimate contenders gave him the highest bid, so it was a no-brainer. It's pretty clear that money wasn't the only reason he opted out of his contract. He was clearly very unhappy in Toronto and wanted to get out of there badly.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-20-2010 at 11:53 AM..
Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
But this just confirms my point, he wanted out of Toronto and was willing to take less money to get away from that team and away from other non-contenders.

Burnett was a bit of a different scenario, but in general it was very similar. He wanted out of Toronto and wanted to play with a contender. And one of the most legitimate contenders gave him the highest bid, so it was a no-brainer. It's pretty clear that money wasn't the only reason he opted out of his contract. He was clearly very unhappy in Toronto and wanted to get out of there badly.
But Halladay didn't act like a dick he was a class act the whole way through it

When we signed Burnett as a free agent I believe it was down to between us and Texas(not completely sure on it) the only 2 reasons he chose us was because

1. Brad Arnsberg was his pitching coach in Florida who was out pitching coach at the time

2. He wanted a 5 year deal with and opt out clause after the 3rd year and the other team didn't want to do the 5th year unsure about the opt out clause though. The plan was to leave after the 3rd year regardless

And he had his best season somewhat in the 3rd year only because he was healthy the whole year and he lead the league in Ks other than that his ERA was the the worst in his 3 years and the 3rd worst in his career and his WHIP was the worst in his 3 years in Toronto.

The K's and the 18-10 record he got is what got him the contract he got in New York and there's no coincidence that his 2 years in New York so far have been worse with the exception of his ERA being just slightly lower in his first year then it was in his last year in Toronto.

And looking at our pitching staff this season that the Jays have I don't miss him whatsoever I'll take any of the 5 we have plus having Drabek as well over Burnett any day.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't disagree with any of that and none of it argues against my initial point.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:

Did I say otherwise? I simply said not to jump to conclusions before a game is even over. You should know that given the game 1 collapse. And just after you posted that, the Yankees loaded the bases with 1 out. One bad pitch in that situation and this series is more than likely 2-2.
One good inning and this is a sweep. Dont condemn my logic and then use it yourself.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
One good inning and this is a sweep. Dont condemn my logic and then use it yourself.
When did I use your logic?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
When did I use your logic?
I dont know. Im not paying very close attention to who's posting today.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-20-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Well, the Yanks-Rangers games went pretty much as expected. Where this goes from here, though, is tough to say. Cliff Lee is clearly the biggest factor, but maybe the Rangers are just better. If you look at the breadth of what the Yankees have done this year, in many senses they overachieved. Do I count them out? No way. Should the series go seven, all pressure will obviously be on Texas. If they keep their heads they'll win one of the next two games, so we'll see.

On the other hand, I am rooting for the Giants almost as much as the Yankees. They're not anything close to being out of the woods, but a game 5 at home? Should be incredible.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Sabathia was garbage his first time around, he'll be garbage again.
lol
Old 10-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Quote:
lol
To be fair, he really wasnt very good. We out hit the Yanks by a bunch, we just couldnt get the timely ones that scored runs like in previous games.

He was far from the superman you make him out to be.

But congrats on finally playing a good game.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
To be fair, he really wasnt very good. We out hit the Yanks by a bunch, we just couldnt get the timely ones that scored runs like in previous games.
He wasn't very good because he gave up some hits? The Rangers had guys on base numerous times, but they couldn't do shit. The best pitchers are the ones who when they give up some hits can minimize damage.

He was far from garbage, which is what you said he would be.

Quote:
When did I ever say that? You're putting words in my mouth. You said he would be garbage again and when he wasn't I laughed at your prediction. How is THAT making him out to be superman?

Quote:
Thanks, I enjoyed it. And relax, you're up 3-2 and are more than likely going to the world series. I was just joking around is all.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Quote:

The same thing could be said about all the games Texas won as well. It was not until the Yankees gave up and started pitching guys who suck like Mitre did Texas run up the scores. If the Yankees had hit timely hits, they would have wrapped the series up already.

CC was very good. Unless you don't believe the the Rangers are not a stacked hitting team. This is a top notch hitting team. Have been for many years. CC did an awesome job.

Back when the Yankees lost to the Diamondbacks, it was said to beat the Yankees, you are going to have to beat Rivera. If the Yanks are to win and get to the World Series, they are going to have to beat Lee. I hope they get to that chance and then do it.

Last edited by Erroneous; 10-21-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 PM
A Rangers/Giants World Series would be cool, I guess; the Rangers have never been to the WS before, while the Giants haven't won one since before they moved to the Bay.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Kudos to Texas, they controlled the series and the results were reflective of that. The Yankees pitching just wasn't up to par, whereas last year their pitching was outstanding. Texas also pitched very well for the most part. As a Yankees fan, it's a little easier to swallow when I remember that I'm wearing a Yankees 2009 World Series Champions t-shirt.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-22-2010 at 10:33 PM..
Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Give Texas credit their pitching was way better than I thought they would be Colby Lewis was outstanding tonight and the Texas lineup came through when needed the Yankees when they needed hits they couldn't get them though most of the series.

I think Texas watching them the past 2 series it will be very interesting to see how they will do against either a Phillies pitching staff or the Giants pitching staff no matter what I think its going to be a great series.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 PM
DOMINATION

Was really a shutout. That Hit by Pitch was messed up, man.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 PM
I call Texas winning it all in 5 games. No matter who wins the Pennant in the NL.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Quote:
DOMINATION

Was really a shutout. That Hit by Pitch was messed up, man.
It was, but no more messed up than when Swisher was hit and it wasn't called.

Props to the Rangers in all regards -- they were clearly the better team and they deserved to win. I don't get the "DOMINATION" attitude, though. No intelligent fan went into this thinking the Yankees could run away with it -- this is no kind of major upset. And people are acting like the only options are either the Yankees suck and the Rangers should have beat them, or it was an aberration. Neither is true: the Yankees pitching finally gave way, the Rangers got career-best performances from guys like Colby tonight, and the Yankee bats went cold. It's baseball. It happens. Next year Cliff Lee will be a Yankee and it'll be a different story.

That said, the Yanks are in a tough spot (and I know that Lee isn't so much of a sure-thing if the Rangers win it all). They are pretty much obligated to overpay Jeter and Mo (and they should resign Pettite). I understand it and support it, but every other organization would drop them to snag Crawford or Werth. That's the underrated part of the Yankees, both good and bad: they're extremely loyal.

I couldn't possibly be more in favor of a Giants-Rangers WS.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
It was, but no more messed up than when Swisher was hit and it wasn't called.

Props to the Rangers in all regards -- they were clearly the better team and they deserved to win. I don't get the "DOMINATION" attitude, though. No intelligent fan went into this thinking the Yankees could run away with it -- this is no kind of major upset. And people are acting like the only options are either the Yankees suck and the Rangers should have beat them, or it was an aberration. Neither is true: the Yankees pitching finally gave way, the Rangers got career-best performances from guys like Colby tonight, and the Yankee bats went cold. It's baseball. It happens. Next year Cliff Lee will be a Yankee and it'll be a different story.

That said, the Yanks are in a tough spot (and I know that Lee isn't so much of a sure-thing if the Rangers win it all). They are pretty much obligated to overpay Jeter and Mo (and they should resign Pettite). I understand it and support it, but every other organization would drop them to snag Crawford or Werth. That's the underrated part of the Yankees, both good and bad: they're extremely loyal.

I couldn't possibly be more in favor of a Giants-Rangers WS.
For the most part well said. Let the haters enjoy themselves. They live to see the big bad Yankees go down. Then bitch when they go out and but a few players.

I think the better team won and they have a hell of a future. They have the proper winning attitude and it all starts with Nolan Ryan. I don't get where people think they overpaid for the team or they can't afford to pay Lee. They play in Arlington, which is basically Dallas. Dallas has lots of people and money. They are the 4th largest market in the USA (Houston is 6th). I know Texas is a football state, but winning puts fans in the seats. The Phillies are now the biggest show in town, where the Eagles used to be.

The Yankees went into the playoffs with most people thinking they were weak with starting pitching. They had CC and that is it. Hughes is very young and tired. No one knew what to expect of Pettitte and although he did a decent job, Burnette was not expected to do much. If the Yankees were to win the hitting would have to lead the way and that did not happen. Cano was the only guy who showed up to play. In spots, Jeter,Posada and Granderson did a decent job. Tex, A Roid, Swishy and Gardner did pretty much nothing. That is why they lost and the fact that Texas was better.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:42 PM
This is what I hope the Yankees do this off season:
1. Not fucking much!
2. I don't want them to go out and buy Lee. I want him to stay in Texas and I want them to learn how to beat him.
3. I want Swishy gone. Two straight years of not showing up in the playoffs does not fly with me.
4. I would like to see Pettitte come back no matter the cost.
5. Jeter is going no where and don't you worry about the costs and where he will play. He has his own deal and that is just the way it is.
6. Need to find a catcher that can play defense at least and he splits the games with Posada who needs to DH way more than in past years.
7. Make Joba a starter and give him the 5th spot. No more innings crap. One more do or die season in the pinstripes. Joe has no faith in him as a reliever. No he must win the position or bullpen crap. It is starter or minors. He should do winter ball at some point to get ready for the season. I believe he could develop into a decent #4 or #3 if he has any heart.
8. Say good bye to Mitre and Gaudin once and for all. I know Joe loves them, but they have to go.
9. Keep Wood at all costs. Make him the 8th inning guy and back up to MO. Maybe even the closer when Mo retires.
10. If they have to get Crawford. Please don't sign him for more than 4 years. I would rather a righty though. They got killed against leftys this year.
11. A decent guy to play backup for the left side of the infield would be nice to especially if he can hit some.
12. Say good bye to Javier, again.

What they will probably do:
1. Buy Lee
2. Buy Crawford for too much and too many years.
3. Trade Swishy and Joba
4. Buy some at least 1 reliever and 1 other starting pitcher for too much money and years.
5. Make some trade or trades that will piss off the all the Yankee haters.

Last edited by Erroneous; 10-23-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
This is what I hope the Yankees do this off season
What they will probably do:
1. Buy Lee
2. Buy Crawford for too much and too many years.
3. Trade Swishy and Joba
4. Buy some at least 1 reliever and 1 other starting pitcher for too much money and years.
5. Make some trade or trades that will piss off the all the Yankee haters.
1. Yes the probably will they did that to Sabbathia and Burnett
2. I think someone else is going to get Crawford
3. Don't see it they turned down the Jays asking price of Joba for Scott Downs so I don't see them trading Joba

And not sure about 4 and 5 but probably will do a few other signings overpaying players.

They are stuck with A.J Burnett and never understood bringing Vasquez back either.

Petitte is still solid but I'm not sure how many years he has left in him.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
The Yankees went into the playoffs with most people thinking they were weak with starting pitching.
Funny this was the case considering the heaps of cash they lavished on all but Hughes (well, maybe not that much for Vasquez). : ?

I, too, hope Lee signs elsewhere... if only to prove he's not a sellout. There are plenty of other contending teams out there with nearly all the pieces in place who can give him a reasonable deal.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
I, too, hope Lee signs elsewhere... if only to prove he's not a sellout. There are plenty of other contending teams out there with nearly all the pieces in place who can give him a reasonable deal.
I don't get this logic for a couple reasons.

First, I hate attitude that going to the Yanks would be selling out, but signing a huge deal with Texas or in Boston or something wouldn't be selling out. Where the hell is Lee supposed to be loyal to? He goes through teams like Liz Taylor went through husbands.

Secondly, let's not forget that Lee ain't exactly a spring chicken. Whatever contract he signs next will be his last big one: wouldn't it make total sense -- and not make him a sell-out -- to go wherever he's being offered the most money, especially if that team is a legit contender like the Yanks? Look, even as a Yankees fan, I hate that there's no salary cap. It is bad for the game, but it's not any Yankees player or fan's fault. Love them or hate them, the Yankees are willing to spend. At least 80% of teams have the money but just have cheap owners who are happy with their profits and don't care that much about winning.

Would any of us take less money just because we hate the Yankees so much? Probably some fans would -- but that goes back to the reality that fans care about all this more than players do. Lee should and will go where the money is.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:19 PM
About Lee: If the Rangers win the World Series - and it looks like they have a real shot - our NEW OWNER may very well sign him back. This aint the cheap Rangers of the past under Tom Hicks, this is a new billionaire ownership team. They have weight to throw around.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Whatever the case, Lee is going to want a long term contract under which he can't get fucked over and he'll also want lots of money. If Texas wins the WS, I think it would be likely he would go there. If they don't, I think it is up in the air. He's good friends with Sabathia, so that might sway him. He was also pretty excited when he almost got traded to the Yankees in the middle of the season. I'd be happy to have him, but there are other areas the Yankees need to focus on as well. They need to start integrating more young guys. They have a great farm system and just look at what they have produced over the past handful of years: Cano, Gardner, Chamberlain, Hughes, Cervelli. The majority of those guys have made huge contributions and are pure home grown talent, something a lot of people overlook. Who came up with the big plays this postseason for them? Jeter, Cano, Gardner and Rivera. It's time to bring up some other guys and give them more playing time. When they do, it more often than not produces great results.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Woohoooooo!!!!!! Giants back in the World Series...those final couple innings were brutal!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Quote:
He's good friends with Sabathia, so that might sway him.
Potentially even more important is that Lee's wife and Sabathia's wife are very close friends.

All my congrats to the Giants. They'll be big underdogs, but they can do it.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Whatever the case, Lee is going to want a long term contract under which he can't get fucked over and he'll also want lots of money. If Texas wins the WS, I think it would be likely he would go there. If they don't, I think it is up in the air. He's good friends with Sabathia, so that might sway him. He was also pretty excited when he almost got traded to the Yankees in the middle of the season. I'd be happy to have him, but there are other areas the Yankees need to focus on as well. They need to start integrating more young guys. They have a great farm system and just look at what they have produced over the past handful of years: Cano, Gardner, Chamberlain, Hughes, Cervelli. The majority of those guys have made huge contributions and are pure home grown talent, something a lot of people overlook. Who came up with the big plays this postseason for them? Jeter, Cano, Gardner and Rivera. It's time to bring up some other guys and give them more playing time. When they do, it more often than not produces great results.

Lee is supposedly looking for a type of sontract that Sabathia got thats why Philadelphia traded him. There are very few teams that will be able to do that.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Lee is supposedly looking for a type of sontract that Sabathia got thats why Philadelphia traded him. There are very few teams that will be able to do that.
If that's true it's pathetic. If I were an all-star athlete I'd be content making a million a year, if that. I mean, WTF are these players buying that they feel they need to make 8-9 figures? Is it just because they can? How much money do you really fucking need?????
Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Quote:
If that's true it's pathetic. If I were an all-star athlete I'd be content making a million a year, if that. I mean, WTF are these players buying that they feel they need to make 8-9 figures? Is it just because they can? How much money do you really fucking need?????
Maybe... but if the guy next to you who was clearly nowhere near as talented as you was making ten times your salary you wouldn't be very happy either.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Quote:
So you're really saying that if several team approached you offering multi-million dollar contracts in a sport that doesn't have a salary cap, you'd say, No thanks, I just one one million a year?

Really?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Again... what the fuck would you do with it all???? I could easily be set for life after just 5 years of getting a million dollar salary. This emphasis on/obsession with money and material things is corroding our society.

Last edited by hoojib127; 10-25-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 PM
I agree in the sense that I'm not a fan of excess, but there's lots of good things you can do with lots of money. Think of how you could take care of your family: if you handled things right, you could set up your great-grandkids with college tuition money. I'm not really connected with my extended family in the way some are, but I'd be glad to help out many friends who are like family to me. And you can obviously give away a lot of it to worthy causes.

Also, as has been pointed out, there's a matter of equation with similar players.

All that said, I couldn't agree more with you that the love of money is corrupting us beyond repair.

Last edited by AceD; 10-25-2010 at 10:59 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Again... what the fuck would you do with it all???? I could easily be set for life after just 5 years of getting a million dollar salary. This emphasis on/obsession with money and material things is corroding our society.
In all honesty, 5 mil might not be enough to set you up for life at the rate of inflation.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:
How old are you? You have no idea what the heck you are talking about. Depending on where you live, you are going to lose upwards of 40% -50% of that million dollars salary in taxes. Let me tell you this, you spend what you make. Not all of it, but you have a certain lifestyle based on your income. If you are making 25k a year, McDonalds and Bud are good things. Start making 80K and you are eating real food and buying 2 ply extra soft tissue paper to wipe your ass plus a nicer car with higher costs associated with it. It is not all about obsession and material things. Don't you want better things for your kids? People making millions of dollars a year also give away on average 10% of their money to charity. Why do think Tom Cruise needs $20 mil a movie. Scienentology takes like $5 per movie.

Get off your liberal high horse and join the rest of us in the real world.

The union these players are part of would never allow a player to take such a reduction in salary below market value. It would hurt the union and all players in it. Not everyone is from this country too. Some of these players from latin america end up supporting families back home. Do you have any idea how much latin players like Riveria give the poor people in their country? Lots. A lot of good things happen with the millions earned from ball players.

Just face the facts that your owner in Minn is a cheap fuck and you are brainwashed into believing he can't afford to pay fair market value and that is why you lose all your good players.

One thing for all the Yankee haters out there. Yankee players need at least 20% more from the Yankees than from other teams in Texas or Florida, because of the high cost of living. You haters love to say a bunch of shit, but that is the cold hard facts. It costs more in the northeast.

Last edited by Erroneous; 10-26-2010 at 08:45 PM..