Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM
So what's Cutler's excuse for not playing? I mean, it's not like Phillip Rivers played the 2007 AFC title game with a torn ACL...oh wait.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Now that Chi-town is out, I'm pulling for Green Bay. As long as the dreadful Steelers don't win, I'm a happy camper.

Regardless of who wins, this whole season may have an asterisk next to it when all is said and done. In terms of overall team effectiveness, this has been the worst NFL season I can remember. Even the teams that did really well during the regular season fell flat on their faces in the playoffs.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 PM
I was soooo close. Damnit!! Why Pittsburgh!? I hate the Steelers. 1/2 of the Super Bowl prediction is still a good thing I guess. Come on Green Bay..Win it for me..please.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 PM
As much as I dislike the Steelers, I have to give them credit for being the best in their division. The Jets did a lot of talking and they could back it up to a degree, but they fell short where it mattered: actually winning the game.

Whatever their records may be, the two best teams are in the Super Bowl this year because they're the only two teams that didn't stumble or choke. I'm looking forward to this one.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Steelers. Packers. Awesome. Lets do this.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Should be an awesome Super Bowl. Go Pack!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
lol ok buddy
Ohhhhh boy. The pack is going to get whooooooped. Stairway to Seven. Sorry pal, AFC will always dominate the NFC, when the Steelers play.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 PM
The Steelers have proven susceptible to good passing teams. And the Packers are certainly a notch up from either the Ravens or Jets. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
The Steelers have proven susceptible to good passing teams. And the Packers are certainly a notch up from either the Ravens or Jets. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself.
I agree. Also, the Packers have had some phenomenal defensive moments throughout the season. Rapelissberger isn't going to have an easy time with this defense. Pitt's running game wasn't too hot tonight, either, so they'll have to depend on their passing game even more.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
Pitt's running game wasn't too hot tonight, either, so they'll have to depend on their passing game even more.
They rushed for 166 yards.

Will be interesting to see the extent of Clifton and Pouncey's injuries, those two are the main cogs of each offensive line.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labialover View Post
They rushed for 166 yards.

Will be interesting to see the extent of Clifton and Pouncey's injuries, those two are the main cogs of each offensive line.
Towards the end they failed to convert in just about every meaningful situation.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
Ohhhhh boy. The pack is going to get whooooooped. Stairway to Seven. Sorry pal, AFC will always dominate the NFC, when the Steelers play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 AM
I dunno that the Pack should be favored.

A better point toward EvilEd is that, you know, sometimes the Steelers get their asses kicked the Super Bowl, so.

I do think the Pack will win. Not easily, by any means, but I think they will. The dome of course favors them, not to mention the health problems of Pittsburgh. The Green Bay defense is not great, but they can be very good for stretches and they will take advantage of any mistakes. Big Ben is incredibly good, but he doesn't have the weapons that Rodgers has, and that will be the difference. It won't be a shoot-out, but it will be decently high scoring, with both teams in the twenties or high teens.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Early money will go one way, Vegas will change the line, then the money will change to the other team. Vegas wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
A better point toward EvilEd is that, you know, sometimes the Steelers get their asses kicked the Super Bowl, so.
I think they've only lost 1 Super Bowl, unless I'm mistaken.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Quote:
I think they've only lost 1 Super Bowl, unless I'm mistaken.
You are correct, my point was simply that the Steelers don't "always dominate" in the Super Bowl.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 AM
6-1 in the Super Bowl, nastiest D in the league, Packer's will not run on this D like they did to Bears and Falcons, and Rodgers will face pressure like he's never seen. Packers D is not as good as the Jets statistically speaking, specifically their run defense, with was ranked 18th overall, the Jets were ranked 3rd, and the Ravens were ranked 5th. The Packers linebackers better get it together, because the Steelers are coming, this team aint no shlocky NFC team like the Falcons or the Bears....

Roth and the D will make big plays and come out victorious. Last year Ben threw for over 500 yards on this Packers D....
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Some people are just delusional when they opt for Rodgers or Matthews over Ben and Troy. The Pack haven't proven a damn thing in the NFL, Rothlisberger has shown time and time again that he is the best, under pressure, game-on-the-line QB possibly of all time, and that's not just me being a homer, but seriously how could you say that Rodgers is more established than Ben?? That's just such an inane comment....and Clay Matthews?? People honestly think this GB linebacking core is better than Farrior, Timmons, Harrison, and Woodley?? Wow.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
yeah rodgers aint as established as ben but i'd say he throws a better ball, more precise. both teams are evenly matched. should be a classic! i'd probably have to go with gb, seeing that steelers won in two years ago, gb would probably want it a tad more
Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Two awesome fan bases headed into this one, that stadium is going to look awesome decked out in black n green n gold.

I wish you guys could hear all the fan made songs that the local radio stations are playing, Like "Seven isn't too far away" Heaven isn't too far away cover, "Stairway to Seven" Stairway to Heaven cover, "Steel Defense" Bad Romance cover, "Knockin on 7's Door", Knockin on Heaven's door cover, this town is ALIVE!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Two awesome fan bases headed into this one, that stadium is going to look awesome decked out in black n green n gold.

I wish you guys could hear all the fan made songs that the local radio stations are playing, Like "Seven isn't too far away" Heaven isn't too far away cover, "Stairway to Seven" Stairway to Heaven cover, "Steel Defense" Bad Romance cover, "Knockin on 7's Door", Knockin on Heaven's door cover, this town is ALIVE!

The stadium will be rocking on February 6. Two of the best fan bases in the NFL when it comes to loyalty and size. I wish Patriots fan could learn from both teams fans. The Eagles fans outnumber the Pats in Super Bowl 39.

And I will check all of the team songs Ed.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Well I think this is going be a great close matchup for me at the moment this is kind of hard to pick right now these are both great teams with great QBs and excellent D that should make this a really close game.

I might be leaning towards the Steelers only for the big game experience for Rosthlisberger but I'm presently undecided at this point.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
I dunno that the Pack should be favored.

I do think the Pack will win. Not easily, by any means, but I think they will. The dome of course favors them, not to mention the health problems of Pittsburgh. The Green Bay defense is not great, but they can be very good for stretches and they will take advantage of any mistakes. Big Ben is incredibly good, but he doesn't have the weapons that Rodgers has, and that will be the difference. It won't be a shoot-out, but it will be decently high scoring, with both teams in the twenties or high teens.

I don't know that the Pack should be favored, either. I just found it interesting that Vegas gave them the early edge.

The real thing to remember here is that the Steelers put up no points in the second half against the Jets and started making mistakes. Luckily for them, the Jets couldn't quite get it done. I look for Green Bay to be a stiffer challenge.

While the Packers may not be perfect on defense, they're good enough to stop the Steelers' offense. And I believe Aaron Rodgers will find ways down field. This game could go either way, but I believe Green Bay has the tools to win, even against such a tough foe.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
Well I think this is going be a great close matchup for me at the moment this is kind of hard to pick right now these are both great teams with great QBs and excellent D that should make this a really close game.

I might be leaning towards the Steelers only for the big game experience for Rosthlisberger but I'm presently undecided at this point.
I feel the same way. If I was forced to bet money on it, I'd pick the Steelers based on experience alone. However, I've had a sneaky suspicion for the last month or so that Green Bay could take this. It's possible that the Packers could totally expose the Steelers the way they did the Falcons, or it could work the other way. Considering how unpredictable this season has been, neither result would surprise me.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeo4 View Post
I don't know that the Pack should be favored, either. I just found it interesting that Vegas gave them the early edge.

The real thing to remember here is that the Steelers put up no points in the second half against the Jets and started making mistakes. Luckily for them, the Jets couldn't quite get it done. I look for Green Bay to be a stiffer challenge.

While the Packers may not be perfect on defense, they're good enough to stop the Steelers' offense. And I believe Aaron Rodgers will find ways down field. This game could go either way, but I believe Green Bay has the tools to win, even against such a tough foe.

They may have put up no points, but they didn't need to. Steelers just needed to sit and play d. Look at the Ravens game for the inverse effect, they were down 21-0 at half. The Steelers came back and put up 28 unanswered points on a much better defense then the Packers..., and the Steelers D didn't let up another Ravens point. So that whole argument "the Steelers didn't score a 2nd half point" is a moot point. It's just 2 examples of a great team utilizing 2 different tools to get it done.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Quote:
They may have put up no points, but they didn't need to. Steelers just needed to sit and play d.
That's fine, but the Steelers simply didn't try to sit back and play D, they tried to move the ball and couldn't.

It's fine to favor the Steelers in this game, but every time you bring up the point that the Packers haven't faced this kinda defense, the obvious counterpoint is that the Steelers just got past two pretty lousy offenses.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Quote:

Roth and the D will make big plays and come out victorious. Last year Ben threw for over 500 yards on this Packers D....
And how much did Aaron throw for? And besides, the defense is totally different than what they were last year. The fact that you'd base an argument on these teams from last year is laughable in itself.

But that's fine, you can go on saying how much you'll dominate, I don't care. Sure you guys could easily win, but you're ignorant or in denial if you don't think the Packers have just as good a chance.

And I don't think anybody thinks that Green Bay's linebackers as a group are better than the Steeler's. But you're really gonna say that Clay Matthews isn't a good player? And what does being established have to do with anything? I couldn't care less if Rodgers or the Packers have established anything, the only thing that matters is that they are in the Super Bowl right now.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:02 AM
From what I've read Pouncey is out for the Super Bowl. It is still early, so it could change, but this should be the biggest story heading into the game if he doesn't play. The Steelers O-line is not very good, he held the group together as a rookie as far as picking up blitzes. If he doesn't play, whoever the backup is, is gonna have a hard time with the Packers blitzing from everywhere and Raji penetrating up the middle.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
And how much did Aaron throw for? And besides, the defense is totally different than what they were last year. The fact that you'd base an argument on these teams from last year is laughable in itself.

But that's fine, you can go on saying how much you'll dominate, I don't care. Sure you guys could easily win, but you're ignorant or in denial if you don't think the Packers have just as good a chance.

And I don't think anybody thinks that Green Bay's linebackers as a group are better than the Steeler's. But you're really gonna say that Clay Matthews isn't a good player? And what does being established have to do with anything? I couldn't care less if Rodgers or the Packers have established anything, the only thing that matters is that they are in the Super Bowl right now.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Quote:
From what I've read Pouncey is out for the Super Bowl. It is still early, so it could change, but this should be the biggest story heading into the game if he doesn't play. The Steelers O-line is not very good, he held the group together as a rookie as far as picking up blitzes. If he doesn't play, whoever the backup is, is gonna have a hard time with the Packers blitzing from everywhere and Raji penetrating up the middle.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Quote:
You're absolutely right. I retract my statement.

Last edited by labialover; 01-27-2011 at 12:56 PM..
Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Pouncey is definitely out.

Of course when has Ben let a crappy O-Line keep him from making stuff happen? He molests opposing D's out in public w/out even needing someone to guard the door.

F the Steelers . . .
Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Curious, where are you guys getting your sources regarding Pouncey being out for the game? From what I've read and heard, hes only day-to-day with a high ankle sprain. I'm sure a 2 week layoff will be more than plenty of time for that type of injury to heal.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Anyone else see that Jeff Fisher is out?

Oh and I hope the Packers win the Super Bowl. They have a lot of likeable players on the team esp Rodgers.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankaiZaraki View Post
Curious, where are you guys getting your sources regarding Pouncey being out for the game? From what I've read and heard, hes only day-to-day with a high ankle sprain. I'm sure a 2 week layoff will be more than plenty of time for that type of injury to heal.
On ESPN/Sportscenter, John Clayton said it's very doubtful he will play. He hasn't stepped on a practice field since the injury and it looks to be a pretty severe ankle sprain (I can relate; I had one playing pick-up basketball in college. Doctor said if it had turned any further, I would've broken it). Plus, I noticed on the ticker at the bottom that a teammate (can't remember which one) said on a radio show that he wouldn't play. He later backed off on the comments.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
On ESPN/Sportscenter, John Clayton said it's very doubtful he will play. He hasn't stepped on a practice field since the injury and it looks to be a pretty severe ankle sprain (I can relate; I had one playing pick-up basketball in college. Doctor said if it had turned any further, I would've broken it). Plus, I noticed on the ticker at the bottom that a teammate (can't remember which one) said on a radio show that he wouldn't play. He later backed off on the comments.
Yeah, it's doubtful he'll play. (I've also sprained my ankle before playing pick-up games and it took much longer than two weeks to fully recover). It's better to just get your back-up center ready for the game instead of fretting about whether or not Pouncey will make it. He won't. His absence is obviously a huge blow to them, and it very well could have a decisive impact on the outcome, but if their back-up can do everything right and their offensive line can get the job done then they'll make up for it.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
ESPN now says he has a broken bone. Who cares anyway. We have won a Super Bowl with a much worse line in '08, when it was reported that we had the worst line in the NFL, and the hardest schedule. Steelers don't make excuses, they just win.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Lifelong huge Eagles fan here...but all I have to say is GOOOOOOOOOO PACKERS!!!

I really hate the Steelers double standards, WR smokes a little pot and his ass gets traded outta town asap, where Ben only got a slap on the wrist.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I read today on ESPN that Pouncey has a broken ankle. Ouch. He's still questionable though. What I think they might do is wait a week, have him test it out with very light scrimmages and see if he can go..They'll probably either try and tape it up very heavily or he'll wear a special shoe. Still sucks though. Hope he gets better soon.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Brett who?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Whoa. I thought that Green Bay was on the verge of imploding in that second half but damn if they didn't stick it out. I thought Pittsburgh was too experienced and skilled to lose this game, but I was clearly wrong. I'm glad GB won but I still have some respect for the Steelers, even if their fans and their franchise drive me nuts.