Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Apparently Warner Bros. read my postings a few pages back and agree that Superman HAS to be played by an actor that is 35 to 40 years old.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...5-40_year_old/

Ever since his breakthrough turn as the entitled, affluent and beefy crew-rowing Winklevoss twins in David Fincher‘s what-actually-happened Facebook procedural, “The Social Network,” Armie Hammer‘s name has been batted around as a contender for the role of Superman in Zack Snyder‘s upcoming film that’s being “godfathered” by Christopher Nolan (with Snyder on-board as the director, “godfathered” now becomes a euphemism for “making sure he doesn’t f*ck it up”).

We weren’t really having it. Sure, he is one of the stand-out roles in the picture, we do expect great things from him and we did name him (somewhat reluctantly) as a sort-of contender for the role, but the 24-year-old actor still doesn’t seem exactly right for the role; possibly too young. While he was supposed to play Batman/Bruce Wayne in George Miller‘s “Justice League,” (subtitled by us as “Teen Justice League” as the average age of every actor playing a hero seemed to be just over 20), cooler heads prevailed and deep-sixed the picture before it could get out of the gate (like “Batman Vs. Superman” or J.J. Abrams’ “Superman: Flyby” script, it was one of the near-misses in super-hero film history).

However, in a recent interview with Vulture — who have obviously also noticed his name in connection with all the fan-made dream-casting — Hammer said, “I did talk to my people recently about that for the first time, and I think they’re going a little older with Superman. I hear they’re going 35, 40.” So Hammer’s checked with his agents and essentially has given all the rabidly curious fans some insight into what Nolan, Snyder, WB and Legendary are aiming for.

It’s definitely a new and interesting development that certainly effects all the “Superman” speculation thus far.

Hammer also talked about the aforementioned Justice League role and said that Miller’s film was tightly under wraps. So much so that he doesn’t even have a picture of himself in the Batman costume. “When we were down there on the soundstages, they would take our cell phones from us if they had cameras on them. This was so top secret and so locked down, it was like walking into the Pentagon.”

Those who want to know what the Batman costume was like? Harmie says it was very utilitarian. “Because Batman has such incredible resources, his utility belt was made from the finest Italian leather and highly polished, and the things that would come out of his forearm, they were titanium but wrapped in very fine leather.” Ah, what could have been…

So back to “Superman: The Man Of Steel” (if that indeed sticks as the title). Does this mean Jon Hamm is back in contention? Discuss
Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
The Joker didnt kill Bruce's parents. That's why people wanted an origin story for Batman.
Okay, but did Ra's Al Ghul and The League of Assassins plan an economic conspiracy against Gotham and become indirectly responsible for his parents' death? And in addition, did Ra's train Bruce to become a ninja?

You can revisit an origin story and keep it fresh, no matter how many times its' been visited in other forms of media. I don't believe what we saw in Donner's Superman to be the end-all, be-all origin of Superman, and I firmly believe there are opportunities for great storytelling to be if Snyder doesn't half-ass it.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
Does this mean that we will see Lois Lane's nipples? I mean Snyder loves his female nudity.
Then they REALLY need to use the Smallville TV cast on the big screen!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Dear fuckin' God

See ya in a couple of months, Superman thread....
Old 10-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Dear fuckin' God

See ya in a couple of months, Superman thread....
Haha
Old 10-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Then they REALLY need to use the Smallville TV cast on the big screen!

too bad she cant act her way out of a paper bag. she sure is purdy though.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Quote:
too bad she cant act her way out of a paper bag. she sure is purdy though.
Have you been watching lately? Erica Durance has been the highlight of the show for a while now.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Have you been watching lately? Erica Durance has been the highlight of the show for a while now.
+1.

If I have one HUGE complaint about the TV show, its how they've used Erica Durance. They introduced her in season four, four seasons before they should have (when the show moved to metropolis, having Lois Lane in Smallville made no sense). There were four years there where I thought Durance was one of the worst actresses I'd ever seen. Then, when Lana Lang got bumped, the show moved to metropolis, and Lois Lane was a much more logical (and necessary) piece of the mythology, suddenly, Erica Durance could act.

I don't pretend to be able to explain it. Maybe she just needed all that time to get into the role, or, it could be that having Lois around, as the heir apparent, while Clark was still obsessing over Lana pushed her character to the background, and left her with nothing to do, and having to play a part that was not her strength. Durance obviously plays the strong female lead/love interest very well.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Now I'm just fucking confused…

Quote:
It seems that Zack Snyder has taken a leaf out his producer Chris Nolan's book when it comes to giving cryptic answers. He has even gone as far as to rule out a villain as Nolan did just last week.

Digital Spy reports on an interview with Empire:

"It's a different story," Snyder said. "I won't say there's a break from the canon or anything like that, but there is definitely an approach that makes you go, 'Okay, that's a way to get at it.'"

He continued: "David is very respectful of the canon and stuff like that. It has its roots in the canon and again, like I say, it has a point of view about who he is. I'm being cryptic, I know, but it's the best I can do."

Asked if his movie will track the Man of Steel's early years, Snyder replied: "I think it's early to say. I don't know."

The director also described rumours of the comic book hero facing General Zod as "just wrong", adding that "the internet has no idea what's going on".
Link: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=24837
Old 11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
I agree, drc. I mean, the fuck do you mean "too early to say?"
Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 PM
In other words, he's not giving out any details. He's just humoring the interviewer.

Patience, people.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Or he's found an unexpected new way to make the movie suck even though everyone else is trying to make it good.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Watching Superman fly, etc I already know can be done realistically so that isnt gonna be my reason to watch it.

1 major thing WILL keep me away- Include anything with Lex Luther and they can piss off. Been there done that - 3x already. I want fantastical foes..space villains, Giant robots like in Sky Captain..I dont need a bald headed criminal mastermind..its boring
Old 11-06-2010, 10:22 AM
If they don't use Doomsday I doubt I'll see this in theatres. He is the only character in the Superman universe that I am interested in.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
If they don't use Doomsday I doubt I'll see this in theatres. He is the only character in the Superman universe that I am interested in.
Why? Doomsday sucks. So he killed Supes: whoop-dee-fuckin-doo.....
Old 11-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Lets all at least bask in the awesomeness of this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xiwISrp1H4

Let's hope Snyder delivers more of the same. That may be the best action scene Ive seen in years. Every single part of it is simply perfection.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Quote:

Let's hope Snyder delivers more of the same. That may be the best action scene Ive seen in years. Every single part of it is simply perfection.
Yes, yes! Totally agree. I of the camp that loves Superman Returns. So much so its up there with the first imo.

I do hope they go all out with this one. Keep the tone right, respect the source, but lets get daring here people. I'm in agreement. No more Luthor.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Matthew Goode Frontrunner for Superman.

Please no.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...-superman.html
Old 11-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Hmm, while I do think he's a solid actor...I cant really picture him as Superman/Clark Kent

Old 11-25-2010, 06:04 PM
See...I can see him as Clark. Just not before John Hamm or Brandon Routh.

A strong third pick, but that's all to me.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Pass.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:19 PM
He kind of looks the part . . . of Clark Kent. Can't picture him as Superman though. I'd rather have Jon Hamm, even though he is older. I hope this is just a rumor.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:17 AM
Let's hope that's just a rumor. A very very very wrong rumor.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:37 AM
In all fairness, even though I still think he was horribly miscast in Watchmen, the embelishment he added with Ozy having a slight accent, but able to hide it to the general public was a very nice touch. Goode is fine young actor, very much enjoyed his performance in The Lookout, but even standing at 6'2, he'd still have to pack on a shitload of muscle for the part and I just don't see it happening....
Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah. It's nothing against Goode. It's just... way wrong for Superman. Just like being wrong for Watchmen.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Quote:

Once this scene was over, it was time to leave the theater. This and the bank robber scene (machine gun, etc.) This was what Superman should be about. The rest of this movie stunk up the theater (especially the last 20 minutes or so). Although I did think that Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor was the best that this character had scene in ages (better than Hackman).
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Driftwood View Post
Once this scene was over, it was time to leave the theater. This and the bank robber scene (machine gun, etc.) This was what Superman should be about. The rest of this movie stunk up the theater (especially the last 20 minutes or so). Although I did think that Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor was the best that this character had scene in ages (better than Hackman).
Agreed. That movie wasnt ALL bad.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Driftwood View Post

i agree with the scenes mentioned above, but i didnt really dig the luthor spacey portrayed..i like the sinister, dark, and mischievous luthor from justice league...maybe that's not what singer was aiming for, but nonetheless..didnt really like it.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I personally though Spacey as Luthor was the worst thing in SR. At first I thought it would be decent, then he turned out to be Superman 4 level Luthor.

Lex needs to be close to Supes/ Clarks age. I hope the rumors about this being based off Birthright are true, a truly epic story redoing Supes & Lex origins.

And to anyone still wanting a big screen version of Smallville, go screw yourselves. That show is as bad as the old syndicated Superboy TV show from the 90's, except they butchered everything Superman about it. You guys are like Spider-man fans who love the Clone saga and Venom, then give people crap when they mention Scorpion or The Vulture as big villains.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivekian View Post

And to anyone still wanting a big screen version of Smallville, go screw yourselves. That show is as bad as the old syndicated Superboy TV show from the 90's, except they butchered everything Superman about it. You guys are like Spider-man fans who love the Clone saga and Venom, then give people crap when they mention Scorpion or The Vulture as big villains.
Quick thought on this, but, do you even watch Smallville? I'll say this, right off the bat, Smallville does do incredibly bad things with the Superman mythology (Lana Lang as a witch for an entire season?) incredibly bad. Also, the whole Doomsday season arc was awful. So, why do I still watch? Because its a 50/50 TV show, half the time, it does stuff that, as a fan, just blows my mind, and half the time, it just stinks. That's the magic of having a DVD player though, I can skip the suck.

So, what about Smallville is awesome? A few examples:

-Absolute Justice, the two hour JSA episode of Smallville, ranks amongst my all-time fav two hour TV shows. That episode is what Watchmen should have been and wasn't. Smallville let's Geoff Johns write stuff like that, and it was very cool.

-Smallville has Bryan Q. Miller on the payroll, and his two Zantanna episodes were both very good, and very true to the source. I read this book every month:

by him, and honestly, its one of the top books that any comic book company is publishing right now. Miller is very talented.

-Smallville has the episode that it just aired yesterday "Luthor", in which Clark is sent to an alternate earth (also written by Miller). There were two amazingly cool things about that epi, the first was that Clark Luthor, of this alternate earth was called, more than once, "Ultraman". People who know the comics, like me, LOVE Ultraman (and Superwoman, Owlman, Johnny Quick and Power Ring) and the Crime Syndicate of America, from the old Earth-3. Check it out:

The second very cool thing about the epi was for anyone who has read this book:

The premise of this book, written by Millar, is what if, instead of landing in Kansas Superman had landed in the former Soviet Union? If you watch "Luthor", yesterday's episode of Smallville, the story premise is almost exactly the same: what if Clark had landed in Kansas, but, instead of being found by the Kents, he had been found by Lionel Luthor? To me, that's a fascinating take on the man of steel, and its a very intriguing story idea.

Smallville has its share of clunkers and groaners, no one argues that, but, when its right, which it is about half the time, its a very legit, and interesting, reinterpretation of the Superman Mythology.

Oh, and I do agree that Kevin Spacey stunk as Lex in Returns. I was really looking forward to him playing the part, as I felt it was central casting, but that is an example of where adherence to the Donner-verse really hurt the film.

Last edited by soda; 12-05-2010 at 12:38 AM..
Old 12-16-2010, 04:54 PM

It's a good thing Snyder isn't directing Flash......for slow motion is his weakness.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Henry Cavill Officially Cast As Zack Snyder's Superman!

I don't know if there is an official Superman: Man of Steel thread yet, but sorry this was too exciting not to put up right away.

According to this article, Henry Cavill (The Tudors) has been officially cast as the new Clark Kent/Superman for Zack Snyder's Man of Steel.

I love the casting. My first choice was Jon Hamm, but he was too old, and Tom Wellling would never get the part (even though he is great on the show) because too many people would think that the new movie would be in relation to Smallville and Brandon Routh goes for the same reason (i.e. Superman Returns), because Zack Snyder wants to differentiate his Superman movie from all the others.

I think Henry Cavill is going to make a great Superman. He's brilliant on the Tudors and has the looks down pat. He would have been my next choice after the three mentioned above.

Now it's time to cast Jon Hamm for Lex Luthor.

Here is the link:http://screenrant.com/henry-cavill-s...+Movie+News%29
Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 PM

Last edited by sarah1980; 01-30-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Soloist View Post
because Zack Snyder wants to differentiate his Superman movie from all the others.
Don't worry, his overuse of slow motion and absolutely no substance will differentiate his Superman enough.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
Don't worry, his overuse of slow motion and absolutely no substance will differentiate his Superman enough.
Now THAT is funny!

Anyway, a 180 lbs English actor to plays Supes???

I'm wondering if it will even matter? Has the character been pigeon holed and has he lost his appeal to general audiences? It kind of reminds me of The Hulk. Loved the last movie but it only did so much at the box office because, good or bad, audiences have a preconceived notion of the character. Superman is perceived as a dull, two dimensional boy scout of a character, again right or wrong that seems to be the perception. The Superman Returns rehash of a film didn't help anything either.

The smart thing is casting an unknown and keeping cost down. It's also smart to release it in December to avoid the summer competition.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Cavill was amazing on The Tudors. And he has the look and feel of the Superman character. I approve!

To anyone who would think that a British man couldn't/shouldn't play an alien who just happens to reside in a fictional American city, get over yourself.

A black guy is playing the "white god".
An Australian has played a Canadian superhero.

Who gives a shit?
The talent is what counts, not the race/nationality of the actor.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM

EXCELLENT choice. Like others have mentioned, he was superb on The Tudors and I cant wait to see him in Tarsem Singh's Immortals(which he appears to be flat out ripped in). He is only 27 but can play very mature roles.

He is only 6'1( the Superman actors have been a bit taller) but that shouldnt be a huge problem. I am sure Snyder will make it work.

I must say that this is an all around great casting job. No complaints here.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
To anyone who would think that a British man couldn't/shouldn't play an alien who just happens to reside in a fictional American city, get over yourself.

Who gives a shit?
Sometimes, Race and nationality do count in the portrayal of different characters BUT ONLY when it's vital to the character, such as casting a Black actor to portray Black Panther. Or if in the cases of Nationality, having a Brit play Bond.

With Superman though, his race and nationality aren't vital when casting your actor. Frankly, as long as you cast someone with talent, who looks like Clark/Supes and can speak American English, that's all that matters.

I watch House M.D. (A show which Bryan Singer helped create) and Greg House is an American but he's portrayed by the Brit, Hugh Laurie. You can make it work on film as long as your actor looks the part and can act worth a damn.

Last edited by drc5145; 01-30-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
Cavill was amazing on The Tudors. And he has the look and feel of the Superman character. I approve!

Who gives a shit?
Where the hell have you been? Most of the schmoes here have been arguing for a black Superman...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Nationality doesn't matter, what I meant is that he's tiny at a 180 lbs. To me, that does matter. You can pad up guys like Keaton and Bale as Batman but you need a physically imposing guy to play Supes.