Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
Don't worry, his overuse of slow motion and absolutely no substance will differentiate his Superman enough.
My thoughts exactly, at least someone else shares my enthusiasm with this (there isn't any). Snyder is just horrible and is the main reason why I can't get behind this project.

I can't wait to see a Superman flick completely littered with horrible CGI and have every single action piece slowed down to a crawl. Can't fucking wait.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Nationality doesn't matter, what I meant is that he's tiny at a 180 lbs. To me, that does matter. You can pad up guys like Keaton and Bale as Batman but you need a physically imposing guy to play Supes.
I agree he isnt that tall (6'1) but I think it could work. Here is a pic of Cavill in his role for the upcoming film Immortals. He is pretty shredded right there and I have no doubt that Snyder will get him on Gerard Butler's 300 workout to get him even more bulked up ASAP.

Last edited by echo_bravo; 01-30-2011 at 01:46 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Hes fine, the minute I hear they are gonna have a Lex Luther in this Im out. If SM isnt finally battling space aliens or giant mecha robots, ie something over the top..and NOT freaking General Zods or Luthers then Im out, ciz I could watch that other shit on the oher Superman movies and the tv show
Old 01-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickman View Post
Hes fine, the minute I hear they are gonna have a Lex Luther in this Im out. If SM isnt finally battling space aliens or giant mecha robots, ie something over the top..and NOT freaking General Zods or Luthers then Im out, ciz I could watch that other shit on the oher Superman movies and the tv show
pretty sure they already announced Zod. i agree, im not superman fanboy, infact im not even really a fan, but those 2 villians are played out and i want to see Superman battle someone/thing else.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't know what to make of this, but I'm keeping an open mind. He looks the part, at least.

His choices in parts before haven't been stellar. I hated The Tudors, for example. But so far, I agree with what Vong said. Nationality doesn't matter. Superman is an alien. Let's see what he does with the part.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz View Post
pretty sure they already announced Zod. i agree, im not superman fanboy, infact im not even really a fan, but those 2 villians are played out and i want to see Superman battle someone/thing else.
I'd say this depends more upon how the characters are handled. Hell, I thought I'd never see a Joker better than Jack. I was wrong about that. So I'll wait and see.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 PM
First Christian Bale, now Henry Cavill. The Brits are taking over American heroes. Not that I'm complaining; Bale is awesome as Batman. The only thing I've seen Cavill in is The Count of Monte Cristo. He definitely looks the part. I'm not worried about his size or physique - he does look ripped in that one pic a few posts ago - we've all read about and seen actors (Bale included) prepare for roles by eating more, bulking up, etc.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM
I'll say this about the casting:

WHO GIVES A FLYING (no pun intended) FUCK IF THE MAN CAST AS SUPES IS BRITISH?!

I'm sure he'll do just a dandy job at hiding his accent, just like Bale does with his, Ledger did with his, Jackman does with his, et al.

Seriously, get the fuck over it already (speaking for now and upcoming posts from people).

What people should really be worried about is the fact that Snyder is still attached to this.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Superman is American?

Well, raise my rent.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 PM
.....Henry who?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I guess I have to start watching The Tudors. And in regards to the Snyder trash talking, I don't see an issue. His slow motion was used during the right moments in both 300 and Watchmen (though it was a little unnecessary is some scenes), but I can definitely see the slow motion being a benefit when it comes to Superman.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
.....Henry who?

I asked the same thing after Brandon Routh was cast the last time.

Well . . . I asked Brandon who, but you get my point.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Poor soul. with Snyder as the captain, this announcement seems more like an pre-written obituary for man about to board a sinking ship.

Just think... somewhere out there is a young sprout of an actor no older than 22 who has no idea that he will be the one to regenerate the Superman franchise from the grave when they cast a Superman around 28 years old in the impending re-re-boot of Superman after this.

Last edited by APzombie; 01-30-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post

I'm wondering if it will even matter? Has the character been pigeon holed and has he lost his appeal to general audiences? It kind of reminds me of The Hulk. Loved the last movie but it only did so much at the box office because, good or bad, audiences have a preconceived notion of the character. Superman is perceived as a dull, two dimensional boy scout of a character, again right or wrong that seems to be the perception. The Superman Returns rehash of a film didn't help anything either.
I, myself, have pitched a few ideas on this site for how a new Superman movie could be done in a new and innovative way. I will agree with the consensus that Luthor should be kept away from this project, he's "radioactive" (comic book term), he's so overexposed that having him in a movie would ruin it. Casting Kevin Spacey as Luthor should have been the most obvious idea of all time, and somehow, SR didn't do it justice.

I totally believe that the perception can be overturned. In 2004, Batman was the exact same character: tired, one dimensional revenge freak, etc. etc., Then Nolan came along. You only need one picture, to show people a new way forward. I remember 2004, BTW, and I remember how stomach turning twisted Batman fans were back then. Many of them didn't want a new movie, because they knew that this was it, and if it stunk, there wouldn't be another, maybe ever. They knew that between the 60s TV show, and the Schumacher stuff, that Batman had been buried with "camp", and that one more, and it would be that way for all-time. Their mantra was "please, please, please get it right, please don't let this suck."

Nolan turned it all around, he did for the Batman movies what Frank Miller did for the comics: get Batman his balls back. After the 60s TV show, it took Denny O'neil and Neal Adams in the 70s and Frank Miller in the 80s, to get Batman back. Superman is in the same boat, a new vision is needed, a new angle, a new perspective. While I'm underwhelmed by the choice to direct, if anyone can find that new angle, its Nolan.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
Poor soul. with Snyder as the captain, this announcement seems more like an pre-written obituary for man about to board a sinking ship.

Just think... somewhere out there is a young sprout of an actor no older than 22 who has no idea that he will be the one to regenerate the Superman franchise from the grave when they cast a Superman around 28 years old in the impending re-re-boot of Superman after this.
the Nolans + Snyder will make this the best Superman movie ever made, undoubtably. I wasnt raised on the Reeves' Supermans, never gave a crap, and the Singer Superman was a snoozefest.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Damn and I thought for sure they would listen to the people on this forum and cast a black actor. Way to be cutting edge Warner Bros.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I asked the same thing after Brandon Routh was cast the last time.

Well . . . I asked Brandon who, but you get my point.
Yeah, and look how that turned out - a bland, emotionless performance from an unknown actor. Looks like we're in for more of the same this time around... uninspiring casting if you ask me.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Soul View Post
Damn and I thought for sure they would listen to the people on this forum and cast a black actor. Way to be cutting edge Warner Bros.
You are so bitter. Do you find any joy in life at all?

Anyway, if a mod were to merge this thread with this thread and this thread, then rename it "Man of Steel," that'd be cooooolllll.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 01-30-2011 at 09:50 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz View Post
the Nolans + Snyder will make this the best Superman movie ever made, undoubtably. I wasnt raised on the Reeves' Supermans, never gave a crap, and the Singer Superman was a snoozefest.
I really hope so. If Nolan can simultaneously put a lease of Snyder's glitter and wrangle in a story with characters that i actually care about, i'll be a happy dude.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Nolan is no longer involved as he's focusing on TDKR (see that? even though they didn't call it The Dark Knight Returns, the acronym is exactly the same),

Snyder is helming this all by himself and that worries me. Let's hope the script is amazing....
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
You are so bitter. Do you find any joy in life at all?

Anyway, if a mod were to merge this thread with this thread and this thread, then rename it "Man of Steel," that'd be cooooolllll.
Sure I have joy in my life. How am I bitter exactly?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Yeah, and look how that turned out - a bland, emotionless performance from an unknown actor. Looks like we're in for more of the same this time around... uninspiring casting if you ask me.
I don't know about uninspiring . . . mostly because I know very little about him. Christopher Reeve was an unknown when he was cast as Superman in '78. Now, it's difficult to imagine anyone else in the role.

We'll just have to wait and see how this next guy does.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Sure I have joy in my life. How am I bitter exactly?
I'm pretty certain this is atleast the 3rd time you've brought up that thread. Its like you can't let the shit go....
Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Quote:
I'm pretty certain this is atleast the 3rd time you've brought up that thread. Its like you can't let the shit go....
Because it was fucking stupid then and it will be stupid for as long as Superman exists. I am very happy with Cavill.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Because it was fucking stupid then and it will be stupid for as long as Superman exists.
Yeah . . . and we got that from you in the other threads. His point is "move on" from it. There's no point in constantly bringing it back up, especially in threads that have nothing to do with those other ones. Let's just stay on topic.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Because it was fucking stupid then and it will be stupid for as long as Superman exists. I am very happy with Cavill.
The fact that you're still festering over some shit from weeks ago is pretty sad.

And for the record: no one in that thread said they wanted a black Superman, they said they wouldn't care if there was one, but continue to remember things the way you want to.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 01-30-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Quote:
The fact that you're still festering over some shit from weeks (or is it months?) ago is pretty sad.

And for the record: no one in that thread said they wanted a black Superman, they said they wouldn't care if there was one, but continue to remember things the way you want to.
Festering? Other people mentioned the black actor thing in this thread long before me and it just reminded me of it. I think it's funny actually. I am sorry that I opened up your old wounds over Superman casting. Didn't mean to make you bitter.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Yeah . . . and we got that from you in the other threads. His point is "move on" from it. There's no point in constantly bringing it back up, especially in threads that have nothing to do with those other ones. Let's just stay on topic.
Sorry dude, it was brought up before I came along. So....
Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Festering? Other people mentioned the black actor thing in this thread long before me and it just reminded me of it. I think it's funny actually. I am sorry that I opened up your old wounds over Superman casting. Didn't mean to make you bitter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Whatevs, I'm not derailing this thread by starting up with you of all ppl....
Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Whatevs, I'm not derailing this thread by starting up with you of all ppl....
Well you shouldn't have said anything at all. Next time you will know better.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Well you shouldn't have said anything at all. Next time you will know better.
For once, you're actually right.

Whodathunkit?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Quote:
For once, you're actually right.

Whodathunkit?
Good - happy to help you.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 PM
So . . .

. . . who should play Zod?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 PM
When did they confirm Zod was gonna be in this?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigh Kaufman View Post
Superman is American?

Well, raise my rent.

Have I told you lately that I love you?

(That's right kids. Not Kansas farmboy. Space alien.)
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Quote:
So . . .

. . . who should play Zod?
Russell Crowe.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 PM
What about Lois Lane:

Rashida Jones?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
What about Lois Lane:

Rashida Jones?

I like her, but she can't pull off Lois Lane. I didn't really find her believable in The Social Network.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 PM
I like Jones too, but I agree with Cinematic Soul; she'd have a tough time pulling off Lois Lane.

I could see Amy Adams (dye the hair), Natalie Portman (doubtful considering she'll be in Thor), or maybe even Michelle Monaghan or Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 AM
It's impossible for me to get excited about this news, because I have no idea who this guy is. That said, it's by no means bad news either. But I'll have to wait to decide if it's good or not until I see him in something.