Old 01-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Rank The Dark Tower Books

I just finished The Dark Tower series a couple days ago and was just wondering everyones favorites of the series. For me, I really liked some but just really struggled to enjoy some of the others.

Here is my ranking:

1) The Waste Lands
2) The Gunslinger
3) The Drawing of the Three
4) The Dark Tower
5) Song of Susannah
6) Wizard and Glass
7) Wolves of the Calla

All around the series was a good read but the individual books were hit and miss for me. I loved the first three books but just could not get into Wolves of the Calla or Wizard and Glass at all.

I'd be interested to see what other readers think.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM
The first time I read WIZARD AND GLASS I wasn't too fond of it. The second and third time around, I thought it was damn good.
WOLVES OF THE CALLA was kinda frustrating for me. I think it's one of the weaker entries in the series. I hated the end, too, but then it made sense when the rest of the story got thrown together.

SONG OF SUSANNAH is my least favorite. It should have been split and merged into two books. It's too short; I actually read it in two or three days without TRYING to finish it quickly. Not much really happens that couldn't have been done as part of another book. I was let down by that one.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
1. The Wastelands
2. The Drawing of the Three
3. The Gunslinger
4. The Dark Tower
5. Wolves of the Calla
6. The Wizard & the Glass*
7. Song of Susannah

The Wastelands is far and away the best book of the series.

I really need to read The Wizard & The Glass again. I remember being annoyed by the fact that it was mostly flashback and the over emphasis on the love story - I genuinely loathe most love stories because I find them rather boring and predictable, I wanted more surrealist craziness out of it but then again I was only 15 or so when I first read it.

Last edited by Potter82; 01-05-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Wizard & Glass is by far my favorite, one of my favorite books ever. Drawing is a closer second. after that they are all pretty close except for Susannah which was terrible.

1. Wizard & the Glass
2. The Drawing of the Three
3. Waste Lands
4. The Gunslinger
5. Wolves of the Calla
6. The Dark Tower
7. Song of Susannah
Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 PM
1. Wizard & Glass
2. The Gunslinger
3. The Wastelands
4. The Dark Tower
5. The Drawing of the Three
6. Song for Susannah
7. Wolves of the Callah
Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 PM
1. The Drawing Of The Three
2. The Gunslinger
3. Wizard And Glass
4. The Waste Lands
5. Wolves Of The Calla
6. The Dark Tower
7. Song Of Susannah

It was around the end of Wizard And Glass that the series started turning to shit. When they meet up with Marten, and the Tick-Tock Man is thoroughly misused to the point that it's a mystery why King even had him survive at the end of Waste Lands. I actually dug the flashback story but thought it dropped the ball a bit with its conclusion. I really didn't like the fact that Roland changed his mind about staying with Susan before she died. Through the first three chapters when she was just the mysterious "girl in the window," I always had the impression that whatever happened with her was a driving force behind everything Roland did. Like maybe even the reason he was so obsessed with finding the Tower. I had it in my head that Roland was so hurt by however she died (which we didn't even know then that she had died, but it was fairly certain) that the Tower was his way to fix it. In that way he becomes fueled by a very human emotion, which makes him a far more interesting character. I must have been 13 or so when I started reading the series, and I remember being at the book store the day Waste Lands came out, so I had a lot of time in between books to speculate on shit. The heartless, unstoppable, drop-kids-into-chasms badass that he was throughout the first three is the character I became a huge fan of, before all the bullshit with him being basically Aragorn and trying to save the world and whatever. I liked him much better when he was just one guy, willing to wade through hell and kill literally anyone to get to some barely-defined goal that we were then able to assign our own significance to. His willingness to reach those depths of obsession was made even cooler by the fact that it was fueled by the girl in the window, or at least I thought it was at the time.

When he decides that he's going to forgo being with Susan in order to find the Tower, that's when things started going south. It completely destroyed my perception of Roland, but in all fairness that was my own fault for expecting things to happen differently than they did. I forgave that easily enough, but the Tick-Tock Man dying the way he did and Roland missing Marten because he "forgot" he'd had his fingers eaten off, that whole scene at the Oz castle felt wrong to me. Then came Wolves, and all of a sudden Roland was dancing a commala and being some sort of elder statesman or whatever, looking nothing at all like the stone-cold badass we'd been introduced to. Then Mordred happened, and jesus christ what a load of horseshit. This whole time Marten was the yang to Roland's yin, he was the shadowy spooky boogeyman who lived backwards and traversed universes. Roland had a deep history with Marten, involving Roland's mother, his father, Susan, just about everything stretching back through his long life had had Marten looming in the shadows somewhere. They were destined to have a good old-fashioned showdown, a high-noon meeting between good and evil. And then poof, there's Mordred in part 6, who kills Marten. What? What the fuck? Talk about anticlimactic. Then he's subsequently killed himself in a truly unimpressive and not at all interesting or suspenseful manner, leaving us with the Crimson King, and holy shit what a suckfest. Roland just coaches some dumbass kid who's just been introduced into ERASING HIM. Goddamn.

I sound a little bitter, but that's because I spent a large chunk of my life absolutely loving that series, only to have it completely destroyed by the shit-sucking last two entries. With all this talk about a movie and TV series in the works, I sure hope they correct the mistakes of the last two. I don't see how they could pull it off successfully if they don't. I've fantasy cast that movie a million times in my head, and the one role that has never changed in my mind is Gary Oldman as Marten / Walter / the Ageless Stranger. Roland is a lot harder to cast, but I think Hugh Laurie would be great. Just picture him in a duster and old-school cowboy hat, and he's spot on.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
Then came Wolves, and all of a sudden Roland was dancing a commala and being some sort of elder statesman or whatever, looking nothing at all like the stone-cold badass we'd been introduced to. Then Mordred happened, and jesus christ what a load of horseshit. This whole time Marten was the yang to Roland's yin, he was the shadowy spooky boogeyman who lived backwards and traversed universes. Roland had a deep history with Marten, involving Roland's mother, his father, Susan, just about everything stretching back through his long life had had Marten looming in the shadows somewhere. They were destined to have a good old-fashioned showdown, a high-noon meeting between good and evil. And then poof, there's Mordred in part 6, who kills Marten. What? What the fuck? Talk about anticlimactic. Then he's subsequently killed himself in a truly unimpressive and not at all interesting or suspenseful manner, leaving us with the Crimson King, and holy shit what a suckfest. Roland just coaches some dumbass kid who's just been introduced into ERASING HIM. Goddamn.
I totally agree with you on all this. Great write-up.