Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
i must say this....i ignored this movie as lame because i hadnt read the book.But i have finally read the book...and i must say.....i want to see this film so bad now.New Fan Right here!!(points at himself)
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Congrats Venom on reading one of the best fantasy books you'll ever read. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I have (a mighty task indeed).

I too can't wait!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Apparently PJ had to have emergency surgery a week ago. Somehow I never saw anything about it in the news until a couple days ago. It's not expected to delay production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Not to mention all the production issues this film has been plagued with.
LOTR went through just as many issues--even a major last-minute recasting (for the better). The Hobbit is just much more under the microscope.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywalker17 View Post
LOTR went through just as many issues--even a major last-minute recasting (for the better). The Hobbit is just much more under the microscope.
LOTR had issues, but I think the The Hobbit's has been much more of a problem (or problems). The Hobbit has been plagued by legal issues, production company issues, money issues, which has led to more issues - like its director getting tired of waiting and leaving the production.

I think LOTR's biggest issue was whether or not it was going to be two movies or three. PJ finally convinced New Line to make it three. I don't think the re-casting of Aragorn was that big a deal.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
LOTR had issues, but I think the The Hobbit's has been much more of a problem (or problems). The Hobbit has been plagued by legal issues, production company issues, money issues, which has led to more issues - like its director getting tired of waiting and leaving the production.

I think LOTR's biggest issue was whether or not it was going to be two movies or three. PJ finally convinced New Line to make it three. I don't think the re-casting of Aragorn was that big a deal.
Let's not forget the union issues The Hobbit had earlier, with the New Zealand actor's union threatening to boycott the film, almost causing them to have to re-locate to Europe, which as we all know, is NOT Middle Earth. LOTR was pretty much smooth sailing once they figured they were doing 3 films and the financing was in place. It certainly didn't have all these legal/production company/union issues that The Hobbit is going through. Last minute re-casts are not uncommon for major motion pictures, I don't see that as being a particularly big issue.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Also, Saoirse Ronan has joined the cast.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 AM
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011...%80%99-movies/
Quote:
START OF SHOOT DATE ANNOUNCED FOR ĎTHE HOBBITí MOVIES

February 6th, 2011 by xoanon | Discuss | 2 Comments and 119 Reactions

Monday 7 February, Wellington Ė Production company, 3Foot7 Ltd, is pleased to announce that the first day of principal photography for THE HOBBIT will be Monday 21 March, 2011.

This date has been chosen following practical considerations of the filming schedule requirements, actor availability and the NZ seasons. Shooting will take place at Stone Street Studios in Miramar and on location around New Zealand.

Confirmed cast include: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Jed Brophy, Mark Hadlow, Adam Brown, Cate Blanchett, Andy Serkis, Mikael Persbrant, Sylvester McCoy and Elijah Wood. Director, Sir Peter Jackson, comments: ďDespite some delays we are fully back on track and very excited to get started.Ē
Lee, Ronan, and Weaving not on the list....
Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawdog17 View Post
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011...%80%99-movies/

Lee, Ronan, and Weaving not on the list....
Don't worry....Christopher Lee has already said that he would reprise Saruman and Hugo Weaving is a little busy promoting Captain America, but I don't think they'll be a problem there either. Don't forget they can film either at any time, and not particularly on the first few days. As for Ronan...who knows.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Driftwood View Post
Don't worry....
I know, but until there's firm confirmation....sliver of doubts will always remain in my mind especially with this particular project.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Well Orlando Bloom is confirmed, yet left off that list as well. I'm not sure how accurate it is...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
It was such a life changing and exciting experience for all ( the Lotr production ) involved i genuinely don't see anybody not reprising their roles if given the chance.

I'm hoping Pj makes webisodes like he did with KK.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
It was such a life changing and exciting experience for all ( the Lotr production ) involved i genuinely don't see anybody not reprising their roles if given the chance.

I'm hoping Pj makes webisodes like he did with KK.
I have the same perspective. Anybody who remembers the LOTR special features would have trouble believing any of the major characters would refuse to reprise their roles. Although it's always possible that scheduling/contractual conflicts could get in the way despite the best of intentions.

How many of you that are really excited for this enjoyed the past two PJ flicks? I think opinions are pretty split about King Kong around here, but I get the impression that The Lovely Bones is mostly considered a misstep. Do you guys think The Hobbit films will be as good as LOTR, or at least better than his previous two attempts? And what implications do you think that might have on his career?

He might get shoehorned into the PG13 fantasy stuff but if the Hobbit makes a lot of money, which I expect it to do, he could get free reign on whatever personal project he wants to do. He strayed from his comfort zone with the LOTR trilogy and it was a massive success. I wouldn't mind seeing him do another horror/comedy in the vein of some of his earlier work now that he has some serious clout.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I was disappointed with KK . I still can't explain exactly why because from a technical perspective it was just about flawless ( save for the stampede sequence, that was way too silly ).

I think maybe i was expecting the Lotr magic to strike again, maybe he jumped too soon into epic territory, the whole affair seemed uninspired. I'm not claiming it is uninspired but a crucial element was missing.

I would still consider it a great film, it's just that in comparison to Lotr it is an inferior experience. That's the weird thing, if he never made Lotr and KK was his first big budget epic i may look at the film differently.

Still haven't seen LB so i can't comment on it.

The Hobbit should be a genuine experience to behold much like Lotr. It will be great to have more Pj directed Middle Earth tales to look forward too for two Christmases in a row come 2012.

I'm sure he can make a Dead Alive/splatterfest after he completes the Hobbit. That is after he gets some rest.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
How many of you that are really excited for this enjoyed the past two PJ flicks? I think opinions are pretty split about King Kong around here, but I get the impression that The Lovely Bones is mostly considered a misstep. Do you guys think The Hobbit films will be as good as LOTR, or at least better than his previous two attempts? And what implications do you think that might have on his career?
Kong was good but I didn't love it. Story just doesn't do it for me. Haven't seen Lovely Bones, so I can't comment on that.

I can't imagine that these won't be great. He's getting back to the world we KNOW he can do wonders with.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:39 AM
I loved Jackson's King Kong; I haven't seen The Lovely Bones. But most of the cast, including Lee (I can't remember if Weaving was one of them - I don't think so though), contributed to commentaries on the extended editions of the LOTR trilogy. And it seemed that the cast that did contribute had a blast doing the movies. So if Lee is needed as Saruman, I seriously doubt there will be a problem. I thought I'd also read that Weaving wouldn't mind coming back also - but I may be wrong with all the news and info coming out lately.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Honestly, I'm still not 100% convinced. I thought that Kong was entertaining but bloated and overlong, and The Lovely Bones was a disaster. It seems to be a case of post-blockbuster depression, a-la George Lucas' career post-Star Wars. But I hope not. What made LOTR so good was that PJ was an edgy indie director when he made them, so he brought that style and mentality with him. Unfortunately the PJ making The Hobbit films isn't the same PJ that made LOTR. All we can hope is that he will try and mimic his previous style as best as possible, and use as many of Guillermo Del Toro's design ideas as possible, just to change it up a bit. Let's hope for the best!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Can't believe no one's posted about the new subtitles!

The Hobbit: There and Back Again and
The Hobbit: An/The Unexpected Journey

The first is of course the actual subtitle of Tolkien's book, while the latter is a play on the first chapter, "An Unexpected Party".

I like the titles, but strongly feel that "There and Back Again" makes more sense as the second film.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 AM
I've never read The Hobbit but from everything Ive heard about the book is that it carries a much different tone than the LOTR's...I must say the subtitles of the films definitely do as well!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:31 AM
most of you who remember me know me from the deceased LOTR section of the forums, so needless to say I'm very excited about the flick.

Here's an excerpt from Sir Ian McKellen's blog

Quote:
A wizard is never late: but I hadn’t intended last Thursday to arrive in Wellington for The Hobbit filming, five weeks early. Yet, what’s new? Just a year ago, touring New Zealand with Waiting for Godot, I had expected to start shooting in July 2010, with Guillermo del Toro in charge. I was staying at his spare house on Breaker Bay, close to the Jackson compound. There he told me why he was abandoning Middle Earth, as Warner Brothers and MGM got perilously close to postponing The Hobbit forever and he worried about his commitments to other work. So my plan to jump straight from Beckett to Tolkien had to be abandoned and I flew home for a prolonged break.

A year on, filming was to start at the end of February 2011. I curtailed a holiday in India to make sure I would be on time.

Then, while I was away, Peter Jackson had his stomach operation. The insurance company has insisted on five weeks recuperation. Which is why, yet again, IĻm here early. Waiting for Bilbo.

I was hoping to see Peter up and kicking at the party Philippa Boyens threw last week for the actors and again the following day, when Graham Mactavish and Gwen had a house-warming party in their garden and house overlooking the Wellington harbour. No luck: but there were many others to say hello to; beginning with 13 dwarves.

Another quote from James Nesbitt (Bofur) taken from www.the-hobbit-movie.com

Quote:
“We haven’t started filming, we got here mid-January and we were supposed to rehearse, doing lots of horse-riding and framing and stunts and all that, but then Peter got ill, he had a perforated ulcer, so filming was delayed for a few weeks. Filming starts in about three weeks and I start in a month, but it’s been great, so I’ve had lots of time off.

“We’ve been here for training, because I’m going to be here for a year so the amount of work and the work we’ll be getting up to means we all have to be fit, you know, and a few of us are getting on a bit, so we’ve been training and horse-riding and doing stunts and all that kind of thing, and then we start.”

“There was one last night, yeah. I thought it was just wind actually, to tell you the truth… I think the earthquakes have been terrible in Christchurch, it’s very sad, and it’s been felt very keenly emotionally all over the islands because they’re a very tight group of people, the Kiwis, so its been awful, but people are getting on with things and trying to lend as much support as possible.”
I have been known to be slightly snobby about lotr, as I strongly despised the idea to make the films in the first place. however I've taken that back and I fully support PJ's efforts. While it's not the books, it's still a fantastic story and for that he, and the films have my utter most respect.

Last edited by Lost in Space; 03-14-2011 at 01:34 AM..
Old 03-14-2011, 02:31 AM
I really liked King Kong but felt the whole movie was very overlong and could've dumped a few storylines to tighten it up. I could see how he was trying to make it a big epic with the same impact the original had on its generation but it didn't quite reach it. Still a great blockbuster movie though.

Lovely Bones was fine. It wasn't a huge misstep to me but it was definitely flawed. I hope Jackson's still in the Middle Earth mode since his last two movies were fairly different but I'm very curious as to what's going on with TinTin
Old 03-20-2011, 01:20 PM

FILMING STARTS TOMORROW!!

Edit: Check that, it starts today! haha

Last edited by AspectRatio1986; 03-20-2011 at 01:35 PM..
Old 03-20-2011, 02:35 PM
This is going to be awesome. The Hobbit was the only book Tolkien ever wrote that I could actually get through, the man could describe a blade of grass for 10 pages. Plus I just think its a better story than the Ring trilogy. More lets go adventuring for the sake of it and less the whole world is doomed. Plus Bilbo is waaaaaaay cooler than Frodo.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty excited about this. The Hobbit was one of the first books I remember reading and it held me spellbound from start to finish and was largely responsible for igniting my interest in fantasy novels. I really enjoyed Jackson's Lord Of The Rings trilogy (although I have a few small reservations about how he handled the closing half hour of Return Of The King). For the two Hobbit movies he has an interesting cast at his disposal. There was some discussion in another forum about his take on King Kong and The Lovely Bones. I enjoyed the hell out of King Kong but i've yet to watch his adaptation of Alice Sebold's masterpiece. I put that down to the fact that I loved the book and have repeatedly read reports that the movie is largely a failure. Hopefully his mojo will be firing on all cylinders for the two Hobbit movies.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy View Post
I'm pretty excited about this. The Hobbit was one of the first books I remember reading and it held me spellbound from start to finish and was largely responsible for igniting my interest in fantasy novels. I really enjoyed Jackson's Lord Of The Rings trilogy (although I have a few small reservations about how he handled the closing half hour of Return Of The King). For the two Hobbit movies he has an interesting cast at his disposal. There was some discussion in another forum about his take on King Kong and The Lovely Bones. I enjoyed the hell out of King Kong but i've yet to watch his adaptation of Alice Sebold's masterpiece. I put that down to the fact that I loved the book and have repeatedly read reports that the movie is largely a failure. Hopefully his mojo will be firing on all cylinders for the two Hobbit movies.
Agreed with all of this.

I've seen The Lovely Bones and find it underrated; it's no masterpiece but I found it really good.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 PM
The hobbit blog is now online. For those of you who are interested here ya go

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/

looks like they're planning on keeping fans updated as much as possible.

Filming has official started for anybody whose curious
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I found this amusing as well:

Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Yesterday Warner Bros named Kiwi actors Jeffrey Thomas and Mike Mizrahi for the roles of dwarf kings Thror and Thrain (Source: The Dominion Post: To be confirmed!).

There have been several casting announcements since Martin Freeman was confirmed as the lead in October last year.

A spokeswoman for the production unit said only that everyone was ďvery excitedĒ to get started on filming.
From the-hobbit-movie.com
Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Can't wait for a teaser trailer! Hehe.

It's crazy to compare PJ's weight in those two similar pictures.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I can't say 100% for sure that this isn't an April Fool's joke but supposedly Stuart Townsend was just recently added to the cast of The Hobbit.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011...or-the-hobbit/

Why this is very interesting news for those of you who may not know, he was originally cast as Aragorn in 1999 for the original trilogy and was replaced a short time into filming. I for one could not imagine those 3 films without Viggo Mortensen...

Last edited by AspectRatio1986; 04-01-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm going to post this, in hopes it will shed some light on the inevitable elitism that will arise as The Hobbit comes closer. For those of you curious what the book fans are saying I strongly recommend reading that.

http://www.lotrplaza.com/forum/forum...asp?TID=235930
Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff07 View Post
I can't say 100% for sure that this isn't an April Fool's joke but supposedly Stuart Townsend was just recently added to the cast of The Hobbit.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011...or-the-hobbit/

Why this is very interesting news for those of you who may not know, he was originally cast as Aragorn in 1999 for the original trilogy and was replaced a short time into filming. I for one could not imagine those 3 films without Viggo Mortensen...
Aragorn was the best character because of Viggo.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Best casting ever...

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/04/05...ie-the-hobbit/

Now Jackson needs to get Jermaine so that the two of them can break out in song during the movie.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Orlando Bloom confirms heís been in talks to return as Legolas in The Hobbit:

Question: You were a part of the hugely successful franchises for The Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean, and now those franchises are continuing on. Whatís it going to be like to see those movies, as an audience member?

ORLANDO BLOOM: Great! Iíve had such a great run with them.

Are you going to appear in The Hobbit?

BLOOM: Yeah, itís looking like that. Iím really excited about going to see Pete [Jackson] again. Itís still a little up in the air, but the idea of working with Pete is fantastic. I canít actually really talk too much about it, at this point. I just was given the script to piece through, so itís quite exciting.

The whole script?

BLOOM: Yeah!

Will you have to do anything to physically prepare for that role again?

BLOOM: Are you telling me that Iíve put on weight, in the last 10 years? I just have to grow my hair really long and blonde again.

Isnít he a younger version?

BLOOM: Yeah.
From http://the-hobbit-movie.com/
Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Old 04-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Peter Jackson's first production diary, its about 10 minutes I highly recommend give it a watch:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....41807&comments
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff07 View Post
Peter Jackson's first production diary, its about 10 minutes I highly recommend give it a watch:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....41807&comments
I get the same out of these videos that i did with the extensive documentaries with the original trilogy--- they are better than the movies.

There is more heart, emotion, laughs and creativity in the journey than there is in the product to Jackson's series.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Loved the little video the put out yesterday. I must say, I am really happy Del Toro walked off. I'm glad PJ has full control.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
Loved the little video the put out yesterday. I must say, I am really happy Del Toro walked off. I'm glad PJ has full control.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!