Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahs View Post

Anyone watched House yet? So incredibly bizarre
I just watched it last night and all I can say is...instant favourite. It is exactly what I'm looking for in cult cinema. I'm surprised at the reviews online noting it as incomprehensible/random - yes, the movie is bizarre but I thought the story was a very ciassical Japanese fable. When I was younger, I used to eat up anything on a mythological level - not only Greek, Norse, and Roman, but also folk tales from countries like Japan. This felt like a visualization to me of one of those folk tales which were often very very gory. My only wish is that I had watched this on Halloween this year .
---

Blow Out would be pretty sweet though I'd welcome Blow-Up even more.

I'm preparing to take the plunge on the B&N Criterion sale but I'm scrambling to watch a few more before to make sure I don't miss anything worth purchasing - so far I'm pretty certain I'm gonna be picking up The 400 Blows (already own this on Criterion DVD but oh well), Antichrist, House, Paris, Texas, and Vivre sa Vie at the very least. I was going to blind buy House either way but now having actually seen it, it's the #1 Criterion blu-ray I currently want.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 11-11-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
February titles

Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Anyone know how long that latest B&N Criterion sale will last?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
Anyone know how long that latest B&N Criterion sale will last?
My buddy who alerted me to it told me it ends on November 21. I'm gonna order tomorrow or the day after though just to play it safe.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Fish Tank is great, good to see it get the Criterion treatment
Old 11-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Damn just bought the Region 2 DVD of Still Walking, gonna have to make like Costanza and double dip that shit. Such a beautiful movie.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
I only got around to buying something today since I've had a very busy schedule as of late so I only had enough $ to get my hands on 3 Criterions, one of which is a gift to a lady friend of mine. I got The DVD version of Hausu and The Blu-Ray Edition of The Thin Red Line for me. I bought the DVD Version of Black Orpheus for my friend.

Last edited by drc5145; 11-21-2010 at 07:49 PM..
Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
I got Hausu and Thin Red Line too, both on blu-ray. Also bought (on blu-ray) The 400 Blows, Antichrist, Walkabout, and Paris, Texas. It's gonna be a long two-week wait.

Walkabout and Thin Red Line are both blind buys - Walkabout sounds up my alley (my roommate thought I would really dig it), Thin Red Line is a riskier buy since I've never been a huge war movie fan but everything I've heard about it makes it sound very different from your typical war film. It also doesn't hurt that every blu-ray review has mentioned this as a new reference disc and a Terrence Malick film will always be stunning visually regardless of other factors (those shots on DVDBeaver look gorgeous). I also looked up old JoBlo threads on Thin Red Line and found that enough schmoes who have similar tastes to mine love it or at least like it that I'm willing to give it a try.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I did the same thing about TTRL. It's a bit of a risk because from the sounds of it, I could become bored as hell. But I figure if it's worth it at least to see the visuals and I could still end up loving it if I don't love it immediately. Same things have happened with Apocalypse Now, The Big Lebowski and 2001, for example. I also dug up the JoBlo threads (Particularly the ones comparing it to Saving Private Ryan) and figured it's worth something.

As for Hausu, one of the best comparisons I heard was that it was akin to a Japanese Evil Dead but even more batshit insane. That's all it took for me to snap this up.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:33 AM
I've done more Black Friday online searching and I didn't realize Amazon.com is also slashing prices on select Criterions on the site.

The heavy majority of the price cuts were toward the DVD Criterions but some Blu-Rays have also had prices slashed. Days of Heaven (Blu-Ray), among others, is priced at $22.99, which looks like a great deal also. Other BDs such as Walkabout, Ride With The Devil,Hunger and M are also priced similarly.

One of the more noteworthy ones in DVD is Dazed and Confused which is priced at $9.99.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link...pf_rd_i=285082
Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 PM
drc - Hausu was a crazy experience, especially since I watched the film knowing next to nothing other than that the cover was awesome. Whether you like it or not (and I think you probably will), it definitely will not bore you. Also: drugs help.

Wow, I remember buying Dazed and Confused for $50 on DVD...that said, definitely don't regret it considering it's my favorite film and I've watched the DVD countless times since I bought it (and the packaging and everything about it is so perfect).

By the way, anyone know if there's been any more word on the Y Tu Mama Tambien Criterion?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Just watched Thin Red Line for the first time last night...and then watched it again tonight. Masterpiece.

The blu-ray is phenomenal as well, definitely one of the most gorgeous looking and sounding films I've seen.

Crossing my fingers that my other Criterion blind buy (Walkabout blu-ray) will be just as worthy.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't say this lightly, but if everyone on this board doesn't buy the ultra cheap, just announced Naruse Eclipse there will be blood, I swear.

They're also updating the fantastic YiYi and Au Revoir, Les Enfants

They also have three new releases in the form of the great documentary The Times of Harvey Milk, Topsy-Turvey, and the odd little musical The Mikado
Old 12-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
drc - Hausu was a crazy experience, especially since I watched the film knowing next to nothing other than that the cover was awesome. Whether you like it or not (and I think you probably will), it definitely will not bore you. Also: drugs help.

Wow, I remember buying Dazed and Confused for $50 on DVD...that said, definitely don't regret it considering it's my favorite film and I've watched the DVD countless times since I bought it (and the packaging and everything about it is so perfect).

By the way, anyone know if there's been any more word on the Y Tu Mama Tambien Criterion?
I can't wait to see it. I'm currently in my finals week at school but my last final is tomorrow. Once that is out of the way, It's 3 weeks of indulging in tons of films and TV Shows I've been itching to see in Theaters and at Home, TTRL and Hausu included.

For Hausu, I've only seen little bits of the trailer and a couple of photos. Nothing much more. I can't wait to check it out.

I'm also mulling over if I should take it with me to the school I'm transferring to in the fall. It's a Liberal Arts school...that's quite liberal to say the least. Hausu could become handy for at least one boring night on campus.

Last edited by drc5145; 12-15-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Well, another month that my checkbook gets a break. : ?
Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Well, another month that my checkbook gets a break. : ?
Question mark indeed. My threat not withstanding there are at least two essential purchases in YiYi and the Naruse set there. I understand waiting until later for the rest, but those two are day one purchases for anyone that is not blind. Naruse is legitimately one of the best filmmakers of all time and this set will open you to a part of his world that has honestly been lost for ages and I thought for the rest of my life (on home video that is).
Old 12-16-2010, 12:52 PM
And look at this. Some Pale Flo(ur)
Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Just watched Thin Red Line for the first time last night...and then watched it again tonight. Masterpiece.

The blu-ray is phenomenal as well, definitely one of the most gorgeous looking and sounding films I've seen.

Crossing my fingers that my other Criterion blind buy (Walkabout blu-ray) will be just as worthy.
I'm proud to say I finally got around to doing the same yesterday. I watched TTRL for the 1st time ever yesterday and I'm surprised by how much I got drawn into the film. For a near 3 hour war film the relies on visuals and narration, I got drawn into the film much more so than I had anticipated, such as never settling on one specific character and having the film work as an epic poem about Life, Love and War. I loved it from beginning to end and loved nearly every aspect of the film. What helped so much was that I got drawn into film's photography and just spent time admiring a number of the gorgeous shots. I can now see why so many people admire Malick's photography.

It's easy for me to say it's THE BEST Blu-Ray I own in regards Picture and Audio. The image looked akin to an IMAX or an HD Discovery Channel Nature Documentary. It was so crisp, pristine and perfectly lit without looking glossy, rough or plastic. Ditto on the Audio, ESPECIALLY during the War scenes. We have a 5.1 Surround Sound system in our home here and the thing was blasting perfectly without sounding mangled during the war scenes. From the other Blu-Rays I own, I'd say only the Blu-Ray Editions of Watchmen, 2001 and maybe The Thing can compare to TTRL's Blu-Ray.

Last edited by drc5145; 12-31-2010 at 08:35 PM..
Old 01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Any guesses?
Without looking too hard I can spot Ghost Dog.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:59 PM
One's I can see are:

Carlos
Y Tu Mama Tambein
Solaris
Wild Strawberries
Sunday Bloody Sunday?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
One's I can see are:

Carlos
Y Tu Mama Tambein
Solaris
Wild Strawberries
Sunday Bloody Sunday?
Carlos and Y Tu Mama Tambien getting the Criterion Collection treatment? Oh my! Great for the documentary The Times of Harvey Milk and Topsy Turvy getting the tratement too.

Which version of Solaris is being refered; the original russian version or Soderbergh's remake?

P.S. I hope Battle Royale, Pixote, City of God and any of Alex de la Iglesia's early films get the Criterion Collection treatment in 2011.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Is that Nicolas Roeg's Insignifigance?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Which version of Solaris is being refered; the original russian version or Soderbergh's remake?

P.S. I hope Battle Royale
The Russian version (which is already in the collection) at least. Also I forget who, but Battle Royale is already being prepped for a US release by someone else. Though the UK 3 disc Blu ray is already pretty damn definitive.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I could only draw Carlos and Y Tu Mama Tambien from the picture.

On another front, I just read on Collider.com in a lengthy interview that David Fincher's The Game is coming to The Criterion Collection and getting a Blu-Ray release.

Quote:
The Game is coming to Blu-ray! Criterion is working on it right now. He’s been sent the first 3 reels to watch but hasn’t had the time yet to actually watch them. One of the big holdups is because Gramercy was purchased by Universal, Criterion has limited funds to work with. Also, he doesn’t like to revisit his movies, which delays the process.
Link: http://collider.com/david-fincher-in...32/#more-67432
Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
For Polanski fans the drag queen is Pleasence and the boat/ kid seem to suggest a Vigo boxset.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Without looking too hard I can spot Ghost Dog.
Night on Earth, Mystery Train and now Ghost Dog or i should say another Jim Jarmush film getting the Criterion Collection treatment? I hope Dead Man is next!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I think along with Ghost Dog it's also Coffee and Cigarettes though I may be incorrect.

I also see:

The Great Dictator and Kiss Me Deadly
Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Nah, that's White Material.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Le Cercle Rouge, Sweetie, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas get blu upgrades

As for new stuff:White Material, Kes, and Blow Out
Old 01-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Blow Out? Sick.

And Kes is a nice surprise, I've always wanted to see it but it's hard as fuck to find in North America.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Boy, Criterion's not getting much of my money so far this year. I'm on the fence about "Kes," but nothing else interests me enough to buy it.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Kes is basically the best version of every British film from the '60s. If you enjoy stuff like Billy Liar or The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner than you'll love Kes. Otherwise it will probably be indifference.
Here's the second film in that disc in case you want a feeling for it. As for them not releasing good films this year, trust me when I say that the Naruse eclipse and the Blu of YiYi will instantly upgrade this year by several leaps. To give an idea of how good the Naruse's are if they had only released that this year it would still rate as one of the top ten in the company's career.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 PM
cool, White Material is supposed to be great. I will rent it!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:22 PM
The thread disappeared from the main page!

MAY Titles:

Reiusses/Blu upgrades:

Diabolique (1954 - Henri-Georges Clouzot)

Fat Girl (2001 - Catherine Breillat)

Smiles of A Summer Night (1955 - Ingmar Bergman)

Solaris (1972 - Andrei Tarkovsky)

New Titles:

Something Wild (1986 - Jonathan Demme)

Pale Flower (1964 - Masahiro Shinoda)

The Great Dictator (1940 - Charles Chaplin)

Not a bad list really. Love the art for Diabolique and Great Dictator.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Glad that Diabolique is getting the Criterion Collection treatment. The original french version is way better than the remake starring Sharon Stone. Is the film Something Wild co-stars Jeff Daniels and Melanie Griffith?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Glad that Diabolique is getting the Criterion Collection treatment. The original french version is way better than the remake starring Sharon Stone. Is the film Something Wild co-stars Jeff Daniels and Melanie Griffith?
Diabolique already had the Criterion treatment, this is just the Blu Ray reissue/upgrade. But it's a great movie and likely one where I will double dip when I can.

Something Wild is exactly that movie though I've actually never seen it.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Pale Flower is definitely the best of the titles announced this month, yes even more so than Les Diaboliques.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:06 PM
June Titles!

Black MoonJune 28

Eclipse Series 27:
Raffaello Matarazzo’s Runaway Melodramas
June 21

Insignificance June 14

Kiss Me DeadlyJune 21

The Makioka SistersJune 14

People On Sunday June 28

Zazie dans le métroJune 28

A pretty hefty list there.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the BLU Ray of Solaris? It's not on the list anymore on criterion.com

Last edited by Bahs; 03-15-2011 at 06:11 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 AM
"Insignificance" at last! It should be a crime for them to sit on a title for as long as they have with that one.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahs View Post
Black MoonJune 28

I've heard of this movie years ago from a schmoe in this forum. Has anyone seen it? The artwork looks awesome.