Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 AM
neon genesis evangelion. last couple eps i didn't like
Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Quote:
last couple eps i didn't like
Watch End of Evangelion. It completely makes up for the last couple of episodes.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebs- View Post
Watch End of Evangelion. It completely makes up for the last couple of episodes.
It tries to... but it still sucks.

I'd say watch Rahxephon. I think it's a better version of NGE.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
yeah i watched most of end of evangelion last night but it just wasn't the same. anyone been watching supernatural? it's a bit of fun
Old 03-28-2011, 05:18 PM
meh, summer wars is pretty average. watching ergo proxy
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM
anyone seen cross game, got any recs for sport anime? supernatural is good fun
Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
meh, summer wars is pretty average. watching ergo proxy
That's sad to hear. I was looking forward to finally watching Summer Wars.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
That's sad to hear. I was looking forward to finally watching Summer Wars.
it steals or pay homage to kon

supernatural was average in the end. the odd good episode
Old 04-17-2011, 03:59 AM
looking for something fresh. tried watching baccano again, too similar to gungrave. though i enjoyed the first ep, same can be said for rahXephon to neon genesis. i need something fresh, that or darker than black series 2. cross game almost had me in tears first ep, completely unexpected. after that i couldn't continue

Last edited by Cosimo; 04-17-2011 at 06:12 AM..
Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
looking for something fresh. tried watching baccano again, too similar to gungrave. though i enjoyed the first ep, same can be said for rahXephon to neon genesis. i need something fresh, that or darker than black series 2. cross game almost had me in tears first ep, completely unexpected. after that i couldn't continue
You can't watch Rahxephon without making comparisons to Evangelion. I personally think it's a better version of Eva, though, which is why I didn't mind how recycled it felt.

So you want something fresh? I think the Maria Watches Over Us series is one of the more unique shows I've ever seen, mainly because I don't usually watch shows in that genre: a Slice of Life show centered at an all girl's school. Sounds like it would be ripe for fan service and panty jokes, but it's actually a very serious show with some of the most sincere and realistic relationships I've ever seen in an anime.

If you still haven't seen Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Gurren Lagann, you should get on those as well,
Old 04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
yeah i saw full metal alchemist on tv up to about ep 10, i liked it but then i went away for a while. i'm gonna keep with rahXephon
Old 06-22-2011, 05:27 PM
started watching Outlaw Star, it's no Cowboy Bebop but enjoyable stuff so far
Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
anyone watching Steins Gate? DK?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:39 AM
I actually haven't heard of Steins Gate.

Truth is, I haven't really been up on anime shows. I still buy and watch movies (I've had Tales of Earthsea and Summer Wars next to my tv for about a month but haven't watched them yet) but I've been missing out on TV shows. Especially the more recent ones. Even when I want an anime fix, I'd watch something old (recently watched a few episodes of Trigun with my sister and some of FMA Brotherhood).

However, when the Marvel anime starts airing on G4 in July, I'll be all over that.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:57 AM
yup a good show is now few and far between. eden of the east was great but i haven't been watching new stuff and haven't seen an ep of steins gate, though i hear it's excellent. i'm still catching up on mecha which i had previously avoided. after this i want to finish up on FMA, i saw about 15 eps on tv, when anime was on tv briefly. i got to ep 20 on rahXephon, i liked the action and the look of the anime.

hoping for an anime for Pluto by Urosawa, though i haven't read the manga, if the same people work on it who did Master Keaton and Monster.....
Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 PM
close to giving up on Outlaw Star, it's fairly naff. downloaded an ep of Steins Gate and Deadman Wonderland
Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Outlaw Star didn't have the best ending. It was a fun ride, but certainly wasn't very deep or thought-provoking, and the characters didn't really develop much. I liked the character designs, though. Gave the show a more mature feel, reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop (I feel more and more recent shows make everyone look like teenagers). And I thought it was funny. Plus, I like Jim. Most anime kids annoy me, but Jim was great. As for Gene, he's a cliche. But hey, cliches are cliches for a reason. His character is likeable enough, although he certainly isn't too original.

Let me know how Deadman Wonderland is. I know it's the guy who did Eureka Seven, and I quit on that show after about 15 episodes (although I hear it got a lot better... just never had the time to revisit it). I'm curious about Deadman, though.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 06-29-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 AM
The last anime I saw was The Disappearance of Haruhi Susumiya. Pretty good movie if you were fan of the series. I hope they make a third season soon.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 AM
Quote:

Let me know how Deadman Wonderland is. I know it's the guy who did Eureka Seven, and I quit on that show after about 15 episodes
i didn't make is that far on Eureka 7, i saw it a while back and lasted about 6 eps

may as well stick with Outlaw Star
Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Finally got around to watching Summer Wars. Ridiculous premise aside (I'm assuming it was some kind of critique of society's reliance on technology, but just went way too far... I prefer more subtle societal critiques, like Paranoia Agent) I really liked it. Very well-written, and I liked the minor art touches, like the woman wearing a different Japanese player's MLB jersey in each scene. Not as good as Girl Who Leapt Through Time, though, but still solid and enjoyable.

8/10
Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 AM
I am half way through Durarara, it wants to be Darker Than Black but i'm sticking with it. Did the same studio do them both?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm bored by most mechcentric anime. Last good anime series I watched was when I bought the Elfin Lied collection.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:14 PM
So the Berserk movies look like it's going to be a retelling of the Golden Age Arc, which was what the original series was about. However, it will stay truer to the manga. Split into 3 movies, with the first one debuting in Japan in January.

I hope that's just a starting point. I want to see the rest of the Berserk story animated, but I guess, given how different the manga is from the original anime, they couldn't just pick up after the Eclipse. Too many changes would've had to be made. So they had to revisit the Golden Age Arc. Hopefully, once they do that, they continue with the story.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:08 PM
can't wait for the Berserk movies!

the wolverine anime by madhouse drops on Fri. go to Marvel and check the teaser out, dub seems fine. teaser gots me excited
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
I liked the Iron Man debut. Seemed kind of rushed at times, but I liked the animation and I liked the emphasis on the cultural differences that Stark has to adjust to (the reporter slapping him was great... clearly not the same type of reporters that were in the Iron Man movie that he effortlessly nailed).

Not sure exactly where it's going, as I don't know much about these Zodiac killers, but I'm on board.

Haven't watched Wolverine yet. The art in the trailers turned me off. He looks like a shoujo character little girls would fawn over and doesn't look like, well, Wolverine. But I'll check it out soon enough.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM
just finished the first ep. i knew from the trailer a while bk that's how it was going to be DK and yet it's still good fun and well made for an action anime. i just hope they have more characters and links to the x-men universe in eps to come. mariko was in it was all

will check the iron man
Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Watched Wolverine, and aside from the design of Wolverine himself, I kind of dug it.

Wolverine is too slender, tall, young-looking, and hairless. I also don't like his voice. That scene early when he was helping his friend on the roof top, and you heard his voice as the camera showed him from his feet and panned up, I could've sworn it was gonna be Gambit. Need a gruffier voice than Peter Petrelli.

Most curious thing about these Marvel anime is whether or not they can have other big Marvel characters crossover. But so far, I like what I see.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 PM
2 episodes into Iron Man and Wolverine, and I think I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Iron Man remains more intriguing for me. I like his representation here more than Wolverine's, and I also know nothing about these Zodiac characters, so it's bound to be more surprising. The art is also spectacular.

I'm still not feeling Wolverine's character design, but I like the side characters and I like that this is a truly dark representation of Wolverine's story. Wish the action sequences had a bit more animation and less pictures of blood splattered and Wolverine posing.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 AM
the Madhouse anime's aren't cutting it at all. i'm not particularly a fan of Tony Stark so the Iron Man anime had to be great for me to stick with it, which it isn't. same can be said for Wolverine, being just as dull. so far Japan shouldn't have messed with Marvel
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm still enjoying the Iron Man anime. I think an underlying subplot that should be explored more is Tony's fish out of water feeling, and how his attitude isn't embraced by the Japanese culture. I loved how in the first episode, when he started flirting with Nanami (the annoying but cute reporter) she slapped him. That was great, because when he pulls that stuff in the US, it ends with him banging the reporter. I also liked how his assistant pointed out that the Japanese people's view on the arc reactor wouldn't be as cut and dry as Tony's ("free energy: who wouldn't want that?). But they gravitated away from that, which is unfortunate. Still, though, I love the animation, like Stark's character, and like that I have no idea what's going to happen. I'm not even sure if this Zodiac gang is in the Iron Man lore.

As for Wolverine, I don't know what's going on. I mean, why throw Omega Red into the mix in Japan? Wolverine's Japan backstory is rich enough that you don't need to include Omega Red. I feel like they could end up wasting one of Wolverine's trademark villains. I'm also confused as to why Wolverine is so weak here. When he's not fighting foot soldiers, he's getting the crap beat out of him. Certainly not the Logan I've come to know and love.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:33 PM
yeah but she has the hots for him, only a matter of time...

yip! omega red, a marvel character! i want to see more marvel characters DK, without them i'm yawning through the stories. could do with some more ultimate avengers eps, that show isn't exactly amazing but i prefer them over these offerings from madhouse
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM
I just want Wolverine and the X-Men back. Shame that show got cancelled. It was MUCH better than this Wolverine show.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Quote:
I just want Wolverine and the X-Men back. Shame that show got cancelled. It was MUCH better than this Wolverine show.
for def
Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
I liked that show for the most part.

I hate being one of those douchebags that say "the book is better" but in this case, the manga is much better than the series, simply because the series strayed away around episode 11 so they can finish up (the manga is still running). The ending was rushed and wasn't satisfying. But overall, I liked the show.

As for the Marvel anime, they continue to be moderate at best. Iron Man is much better, but I'm confused why Wolverine made a cameo there. I know they have a history together (New Fantastic Four) but it seemed so out of place it's not even funny. And Wolverine still bothers me. He keeps getting the crap beat out of him. It's ridiculous.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 AM
the last iron man ep was quite enjoyable and the wolverine though i dislike the drawing of omega red was the best yet. i agree DK, the iron man series is superior
Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Finally got around to watching LAST WEEK's Wolverine and Iron Man.

Wolverine has me interested now. I mean, looking at recent adaptaions of X-Men, we haven't seen a cool Cyclops. He's either been too weak, overly emotional, or both. I'm hoping this series gives us a real Cyclops. He's a great character in the comics but has been butchered in the recent movies, X-Men Evolution, and even the otherwise great Wolverine and the X-Men.

Iron Man episode felt out of place, but was still awesome. Love the animation of that show, and I love this version of Tony Stark. That moment at the end when he was sitting on the satellite in space was awesome. For the first time, he wasn't a smug prick. Felt very genuine.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Don't know how much i can add to the topic at hand, I gave up watching anime some time ago when I saw there was nothing new being produced, same old robot serials with busty teenager drama. If there's anything refreshing lemme me know.

Last anime viewed: Baccano, still need to finish it
Favorites: Cowboy Bebop
Akira
Perfect Blue
Nausicaa and the valley of the wind
Old 01-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Anyone seen RideBack? I'm watching it, it good
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Giving this thread a bump to discuss the recent Marvel anime now that they're over.

Wolverine - Total catastrophe. Bad voice acting, terrible character design (Wolverine looked way too much like a Light Yagami Pretty Boy for my liking). I feel the creators never really read anything about Wolverine. He was so weak and just had the wrong attitude. Bad show. 4/10

X-Men - Another failure. I was excited to see some new takes on characters, and was especially hoping Cyclops would be useful. Every adaptation of Cyclops outside of the comics has made him this emo tool. If someone only watched X-Men shows and movies, they'd wonder how the heck Cyclops is the leader. X-Men: Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men, the 3 movies he appeared in, and even the latter stages of the mid-90's cartoon made him a joke. This was a chance to bring him back to his roots, but it failed.

But more than anything else, the show as just BORING. Say what you want about X-Men. Even the bad movies (like X3). You're always guaranteed to get some serious fights and monstrous displays of power. This show was way too talky for me.

I also didn't like the plot surrounding the U-Men. Interesting idea to take a concept that isn't explored too much (we didn't need another Magneto-centered story) but this was almost too esoteric. They needed more than 13 episodes to really develop a coherent story that any one can follow. 5.5/10.

Iron Man - Best by far. In fact, I liked this rendition of Iron Man more than the other cartoons (multiple Iron Man cartoons, multiple Avengers cartoons) and even mor ethan Favreau's movies. Fantastic animation, unique story for the character that was very interesting, good dialogue (as opposed to the other two shows), exciting, and legitimately suspenseful. This show was not only the best of these, but it's among the best comic book shows I've seen and among the best anime I've seen recently. Best of both worlds. 8.5/10.

This concept has potential, as evidenced by stuff like Gotham Knight and of course this Iron Man show. I hope to see more of it in the future. But I hope it doesn't suck as much as Wolverine did.