Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Teaser Vid

Anyone heard about this yet? I just came across this vid on gamespot. I looks like it maybe a remake of RE2 which would make me cream my jeans if it were the case!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1158022p1.html

Ah, sounds like another spin-off, but a really interesting one.
Apparently it takes place during the same time as RE2 and RE3, and Leon will be returning, but you'll be playing as moral ambiguous characters that work for Umbrella and are trying to erase Umbrella's connection to the outbreak. Sounds like it could be good, but with the HD revamps of RE4 and Code Veronica on the way (along with the new 3DS games that are being released), we are entering potential RE overload for 2011.

However, I am interested.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Hmmm if i had to hazard a guess i'd say you play as Nicholai from Nemesis or at least someone like him.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1158022p1.html

Ah, sounds like another spin-off, but a really interesting one.
Apparently it takes place during the same time as RE2 and RE3, and Leon will be returning, but you'll be playing as moral ambiguous characters that work for Umbrella and are trying to erase Umbrella's connection to the outbreak. Sounds like it could be good, but with the HD revamps of RE4 and Code Veronica on the way (along with the new 3DS games that are being released), we are entering potential RE overload for 2011.

However, I am interested.
I think it's Resident Evil's 15th anniversary this year, hence the tidal wave of new RE games. Which is OK with me. I hope we'll hear something about RE6 this year.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM
its a remake of res evil 2, based on contour strike
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1161216p1.html

Not really a remake, more of a "alternate timeline" story during RE2 and RE3. The article states you can even "kill off" past heroes "like Leon Kennedy."
Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Another preview with some more info

It's looking interesting. Playing as Umbrella ops trying to hunt down Leon Kennedy. Also the idea that its more of a team death match vs the Military with a ton of zombies thrown in as added danger seems pretty cool.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure if the new gameplay will work in the Resident Evil environment or not. I do think it's time for a change and for Resident Evil to take another lunge forward in terms of its combat and action, but I'm not sure if I want this game to play like Socom or like a third-person Rainbow Six Vegas.

I'm still interested, but the gameplay is what has me worried above all else.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure if the new gameplay will work in the Resident Evil environment or not. I do think it's time for a change and for Resident Evil to take another lunge forward in terms of its combat and action, but I'm not sure if I want this game to play like Socom or like a third-person Rainbow Six Vegas.

I'm still interested, but the gameplay is what has me worried above all else.
Well these days i like to think of it as just playing in the game universe i enjoy. I would probably play any game, at least at first, set in the RE universe cause i enjoy it so much. Whether the game is good or not is still based on each's own merits but still could be fun just cause of the setting.

This is one of the reasons i can't wait for Star Wars: Old Republic to come out. I do agree that MMO's are the devil in terms of how many hours of your life they can suck up (im a recovering WoW player ) but the idea of an MMO set in the Knights of the Old Republic era is too much for me to pass up.

It's looking though that this is going to be more of a multiplayer title so the idea of making it more like a regular shooter will probably help it. The RE5 multiplayer was a bit annoying having to stop then take aim then shoot. Buts more of a multiplayer gripe.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I love most of the Resident Evil series, particularly those with the old school style of gameplay. RE4 was about as far off the beaten path as I wanted the series to go. RE5 felt way too much like a hybrid of other games and almost nothing like RE. I never got sick of the original gameplay style since it was constantly improving but still keeping its basis elements. For instance, Code Veronica which controls much like the first game but is also vastly improved.

Judging by the trailer, this looks like another pure shooter but I hope not.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM
I'll play anything Resident Evil, but I'm not exactly hopeful for this. The whole idea is to bring back the atmosphere of the original games, but when you have a crew of dudes with heavy weapons, that's hardly the feeling of being alone in a huge place full of zombies with a knife/pistol.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingbanky View Post
I'll play anything Resident Evil, but I'm not exactly hopeful for this. The whole idea is to bring back the atmosphere of the original games, but when you have a crew of dudes with heavy weapons, that's hardly the feeling of being alone in a huge place full of zombies with a knife/pistol.
Yep, indeed. Besides the fact that there's Leon and a few other familiar faces in the trailers thus far, I'm just not really getting a Resident Evil vibe from the footage. It's odd. It's set in Raccoon City, got zombies, and Leon... but I keep getting a "Socom's version of Zombie mode" vibe. Hopefully the game is good, I'm just not sure how to take what little we've seen and heard about the game so far.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Resident evil 1, 2 and 3 were def my favorites... They just didn't make a good resident evil after them imo... Hopefully this one changes that. =)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm a big fan of the originals as well but you can't expect them to go back to that style completely. I mean the way the originals were done was within the limitations of the systems at the time. If you'd tried to make a game just like them on today's systems it would be a huge waste of hardware.

Now i agree that it would be nice to get back to the dark suspenseful RE games of yor as opposed to the gun'm up games they've become but they would still need to make it fresh somehow.

Sort of like how Silent Hill made the jump between the 1st and 2nd games. 2 was a much better looking game and used the PS2's hardware pretty good in comparison to 1 on the original PS. Code Veronica did a decent job of this but it really felt just slightly better looking RE game as opposed to an actual advancement in the series.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I'm a big fan of the originals as well but you can't expect them to go back to that style completely. I mean the way the originals were done was within the limitations of the systems at the time. If you'd tried to make a game just like them on today's systems it would be a huge waste of hardware.

Now i agree that it would be nice to get back to the dark suspenseful RE games of yor as opposed to the gun'm up games they've become but they would still need to make it fresh somehow.

Sort of like how Silent Hill made the jump between the 1st and 2nd games. 2 was a much better looking game and used the PS2's hardware pretty good in comparison to 1 on the original PS. Code Veronica did a decent job of this but it really felt just slightly better looking RE game as opposed to an actual advancement in the series.
It's not a technology issue, it's the fact that they've turned RE into something else. Like someone said, RE is about being alone, barely armed, and fearing for your life. It's not about running and gunning with unlimited ammo. I'm not saying the newer games, namely RE5, suck. I'm just saying they aren't RE. Everybody wants better graphics, but you don't have to change the entire way the game is played to do that. Not everyone knows this but the first Devil May Cry was at one point actually going to be RE4 until the developers realized that the game was too different to be RE, but they kept the game and just named it something else. I'm not sure why they didn't do the same with RE5. I would love nothing more than a real "survival-horror" Resident Evil game, there are plenty of other shooters out there.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight81 View Post
It's not a technology issue, it's the fact that they've turned RE into something else. Like someone said, RE is about being alone, barely armed, and fearing for your life. It's not about running and gunning with unlimited ammo. I'm not saying the newer games, namely RE5, suck. I'm just saying they aren't RE. Everybody wants better graphics, but you don't have to change the entire way the game is played to do that. Not everyone knows this but the first Devil May Cry was at one point actually going to be RE4 until the developers realized that the game was too different to be RE, but they kept the game and just named it something else. I'm not sure why they didn't do the same with RE5. I would love nothing more than a real "survival-horror" Resident Evil game, there are plenty of other shooters out there.
Fantastic post. I did not know about the Devil May Cry bit. In your opinion, would a Dead Space-type approach be a better balance between action and horror, or would it still be too action oriented? I had a blast most recently playing Condemned, a game where weapons (or, at least guns) are extremely scarce and combat and survival often results in melee or hand-to-hand combat. It made me feel more vulnerable than any other horror game I've played since Amnesia. I think the melee aspects that RE5 touched on could be an interesting way to go if they expanded the melee action options and focused more on resulting to that kind of desperate combat while lessening the amount of gunplay in future RE games. Just a thought, but it could stronger emphasize the horror aspect of the games that seems to be lacking most recently.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Quote:
In your opinion, would a Dead Space-type approach be a better balance between action and horror, or would it still be too action oriented? I had a blast most recently playing Condemned, a game where weapons (or, at least guns) are extremely scarce and combat and survival often results in melee or hand-to-hand combat. It made me feel more vulnerable than any other horror game I've played since Amnesia. I think the melee aspects that RE5 touched on could be an interesting way to go if they expanded the melee action options and focused more on resulting to that kind of desperate combat while lessening the amount of gunplay in future RE games. Just a thought, but it could stronger emphasize the horror aspect of the games that seems to be lacking most recently.
I have not played Dead Space. Unfortunately I have way too many hobbies to play a lot of video games in my free time. But Resident Evil is one of a few series that I'm always excited to hear about. Another thing I miss about the old RE games that was lacking from the past few is the non-linear approach. RE4 does have some but is for the most part, linear. There's something special about feeling trapped, something you don't feel when you're just constantly moving onto the next area and never having to return. I miss locked doors and puzzles and keys.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight81 View Post
I have not played Dead Space. Unfortunately I have way too many hobbies to play a lot of video games in my free time. But Resident Evil is one of a few series that I'm always excited to hear about. Another thing I miss about the old RE games that was lacking from the past few is the non-linear approach. RE4 does have some but is for the most part, linear. There's something special about feeling trapped, something you don't feel when you're just constantly moving onto the next area and never having to return. I miss locked doors and puzzles and keys.
I don't know if you posted in the "Horror Games Best/Worst" thread, but you and I have the same exact feeling. I think RE5 would've sucked, if not for the great plot developments. Seeing how Las Plagas tied in with everything, the lickers, and of course confronting Wesker is what made the game enjoyable (at least for fans who were invested in the plot).

As for the Dead Space/RE comparison, I'll just say this: Dead Space had a haunting atmosphere and had some great "pop up" scares. But it did get to a point where you had too many vicious weapons and just crushed everyone. Except, of course, for the Regenerating Necromorph that couldn't die. Whenever one of those popped up, it was INTENSE. Talk about putting the "survival" back in the "survival-horror" genre...
Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not saying the technology now is the issue. I'm saying that the technology back then had its limitations and that's why the RE games were like they were. Yes they are about being alone and not have a shit ton of ammo but that worked really well cause they needed to limit the scope of the game to have it a good size. They tried to do the same thing with the later tech like in Code Veronica but i think everyone will agree that its probably one of the weakest of the series.

So with the new tech they took it in a different direction and it's probably too much of a departure of the original games but at the same time i'd argue that if the made the first RE today it wouldn't be the same as the original with better graphics.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Interview with producer Masachika Kawata

This is looking more and more interesting. I like how he points out how different this is from classic RE but at the same time has been seeing that those who are opposed to the changes are embracing the game once they've tried it. It seems to at least be a good game if not a standard RE installment.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
So we have a release date:

Quote:
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City begins March 20

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Oct 31, 2011 5:35 pm PT

Slant Six-developed spin-off dated for Xbox 360, PS3; Special Edition to include embroidered patches, all preorder bonuses; PC edition to follow.

The Raccoon City Board of Tourism should brace itself for another sluggish spring, as Capcom has announced a March 20 launch date for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. A PC edition will launch at a later date.

Few pests can be as damaging to real estate values as an infestation of Lickers.

Developed by Slant Six, Operation Raccoon City offers a squad-based shooter take on Capcom's seminal survival horror series. The game puts players in control of a half-dozen special commandos employed by The Umbrella Corporation, the sinister pharmaceutical corporation whose unethical experiments caused the series' rash of zombie outbreaks in the first place. While most entries in the Resident Evil series have players either containing a zombie outbreak or working to expose the truth behind Umbrella's dirty dealings, the commandos' job in Slant Six's game is to cover up the company's dirt and make sure there are no survivors in Raccoon City.

Capcom also detailed some preorder incentives for Operation Raccoon City. Those who put money down at participating retailers early will receive an extra costume for each of the game's playable commandos, as well as two retailer-exclusive bonus weapons. Players who want it all will be able to pick up a Special Edition of the game in Steelbook packaging that will include two embroidered patches and all eight bonus weapons.
So March of next year is the date for release with PC to follow. Has anyone been keeping up on this game recently?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I have played all the versions of this game and all i found better. so every new version of this game is much better than previous ones and there is mass destruction weapons and biological weapons are in this game.
Flash Games

Last edited by Kristopher; 11-05-2011 at 07:07 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher View Post
I have played all the versions of this game and all i found better. so every new version of this game is much better than previous ones and there is mass destruction weapons and biological weapons are in this game.
So you mean you've been playing Beta's or something?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 AM
So Gamespot did a multiplayer tourney last night and its actually pretty cool looking.

vids here

Watching this video made me think of the debacle RE6 is going to be. Its been said by Capcom already that RE: ORC is going to be a precursor of what they plan to do with RE6 and really what they needto do is just keep the 2 separate.

They say they want to attract CoD players to the RE franchise and i think ORC should be the way to do that. Leave the #'d titles creepy and suspenseful and leave the crazy action to the off shoots like Umbrella Chronicles and ORC.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Wow, reviews are truly awful. Saw the IGN review initially. Then I checked out the metacritic rating (55 on 360, 50 on PS3).
Old 03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Picked he game up tady to try it out. If it doesn't seem to great i'm taking it right back tomorrow.

As to the reviews i can't trust any of them. I found WAAAAAYYYY too many contraditions between reviews to take any of them at their word. One reviewer said that the AI was pretty good and didn`t do the lame stuff that whats her face would do in RE5 and that the Melee and even starting pistol are pretty much useless in fights. Then the next review i read a guy is saying the AI is fucking horrible and that the Melee attacks are actually over powered and that you could apparently get through the game just hacking and slashing. Well which is it??? I actually had one review bitching about how this game doesn`t explain any of the back story to you adn that you are pretty much expected to have played RE2 and 3 and all i could think was "well no shit sherlock, the only reason to play this game over other shooters like it is cause you`ve played and enjoyed the RE series".

The main idea i was getting from the reviews though is that this is a good game but doesn`t stack up to other 3rd person shooters out there but that is something i could care less about cause i don`t really play many of thoes games to make my own comparisons.

So here`s to hoping its a fun game, otherwise it back to the store for SH: Downpour!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Been playing with a friend for a few hours now in the single player champaign, passing on deaths since theres no local multiplayer, and to tell you the truth its actually pretty fun.

I can't compare to other mainstread 3rd person shooters but this one handels very well for he most part. The auto cover isn't to bad since you can leave it jus as easily if its not your intent to take cover. You have to slow to a walk/stop to pick up items as running and hitting the X button will make you dive. It can be annoying at first until you get used to it.

We've been using Lupo, the Assault class, and Beltway, Bertha and Vector for the most part. The AI seems alright though they are prone to dumb shit at times but its usually funny when it happens. The overall combat is pretty intense when it gets going and lots of fun. Things are made more dreadful by the game limiting what you can carry, 1 First aid spray at a time, 1 anti virus at a time, 3 of each type of grenade and limited surplus ammo. You also only get your hand gun (which is upgradable) and another weapon of machine gun/shot gun/ rifle type selection to carry around and can sub out for weapons dropped by enemies or found in creats.

You gain xp pretty quick. After only beating the first 2 lvls i had all hte passives of all the classes unlocked. Haven't delved into the guns yet. The missions are interesting, in the third or forth mission you have to "repair" a malfuntioning Nemesis which is cool.

So i think i'll be hanging onto this one. Good fun.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 AM
Can't say I'm surprised about all the truly awful reviews this game has been getting. I don't know what it was, but from the first time I read about this game in Game Informer, I just had this feeling that the game was going to suck. Most likely it was just a coincidence. I don't profess to have any pre-cognizant powers.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
Can't say I'm surprised about all the truly awful reviews this game has been getting. I don't know what it was, but from the first time I read about this game in Game Informer, I just had this feeling that the game was going to suck. Most likely it was just a coincidence. I don't profess to have any pre-cognizant powers.
Yes agreed. I'm not surprised at all (it has 52% average on gamerankings, ouch!) the first time I heard about what they were planning to do with the game I got a bad feeling about it; it is just such a wrong direction for Resident Evil, everything about it felt wrong.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Well look how bad the series has been getting.

Starting really with part 3 which started kicking into the action game phase.
Then part 4 which was a total shooter through and through with no real "survival horror" aspects.
Then 5 comes along with co-op play, in a RE game?, sets the game in the middle of a desert in Africa, and is 100% not a survival horror game.
Now this, a co-op shoot em up....no..just no.

And RE6 looks to be action packed Gears of War clone as well.

The real peak of this series was the Gamecube remake of Resident Evil. The last great survival horror game.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
Then part 4 which was a total shooter through and through with no real "survival horror" aspects.
Laughable statement... Trying not to be murdered by an insane European village isn't Survival Horror? There's no aspects of it? That's just completely false.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 PM
You know what, i dont know what all the hate is about. I've enjoyed playing this game so far. Complaints like controls or the cover fall falt once you've played the game for 5 minutes and figure shit out, sort of like any game.

I think ppl just wanted to hate on this game cause its not a "traditional" RE game or something, i don't know. Some said it wasn't able to stack up again most simlar team shooters but i don't normally play those game so i could care less about that.

The only real complaint i really have is Capcom's typical bilking of extra money. They are now releasing the good guy missions as DLC. The firs was free (and excellent) while you can get another 3 missions for $10. Not sure if i'll pay $10 for 3 lvls, large and time consuming as they are, so hopefully they drop the price as part of pack or something.

Also never pick up the Grenade Launcher unless its a boss fight, they suck to carry around. You can't replenish their ammo
Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 AM
This game blows!