Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 08:25 PM
The casting is so far perplexing to me. I think Will Smith is a both safe and dangerous. From a marketing standpoint, it is safe. From a thematic standpoint, it is easier to picture someone like Michael K. Williams for the first half of the script (hell, Django has a scar on his face too). Ultimately I think I would be more exited to see how Smith would play it. That to me is more exiting (albeit riskier), since it is almost too easy to picture Williams in the role. It would be difficult for Smith to shake his charisma for the first 50 minutes however.

What is even more perplexing is QT's comments on the role of Shultz. Earlier in the week he was interviewed and was annoyed when the interviewer made the assumption that Shultz would be Waltz. He replied with something like "I never said he was in the movie.", likewise, Waltz has denied involvement as well.

Variety reports that QT may well repeat the casting process of Basterds again, where he offers a German role to Leonardo DiCaprio (who speaks some German), ultimately going with Waltz because DiCaprio declined (both roles). This perplexes the shit out of me. I'm not the biggest DiCaprio fan (his recent struggle of portraying hard men hasn't amounted to a whole hell of a lot more than squinting and enunciating slowly and "intensely"). Why does QT want that guy so badly? He also apparently wanted Brad Pitt for a role in Django Unchained, Pitt also declined. Is he just throwing offers to box office stars to secure a comfortable budget?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:48 PM
For villian Calvin Candie, I suggest Ian McShane. He would be perfect.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:35 PM
It's interesting that DiCaprio's name is being brought up. I think he would be more physically suited for the role than Waltz, but ultimately the role really seems it was written for Waltz.

If it was indeed offered to DiCaprio, I wonder why he passed it up. Is he shooting Gatsby this fall/summer? Even then, passing up this for what could be a 3D mess (it may end up being fine, but it's an unnecessary movie to make) seems like a rare poor choice in DiCaprio's career. I won't jump to conclusions though, there have been a lot of bullshit casting rumors for Tarantino films in the past.

Last edited by Bourne101; 05-07-2011 at 09:37 PM..
Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 PM
My initial reaction to Will Smith: seriously? We can't give a lesser-known black actor a chance at the lead role?

But after thinking about it, I'm fine with it. Smith working with Tarantino might actually be pretty interesting.

Besides, you know the studio is going to want a "name actor" in the lead....so there you go.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Michael K. Williams was the only one i could picture playing Django while I was reading the script and the same thing Scarface said about Powers Boothe playing Calvin Candie, as much as I like Keith Carradine and I think he would be good, Boothe has that natural slimy evil precense plus he did it in Deadwood so perfectly.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
It's interesting that DiCaprio's name is being brought up. I think he would be more physically suited for the role than Waltz, but ultimately the role really seems it was written for Waltz.

If it was indeed offered to DiCaprio, I wonder why he passed it up. Is he shooting Gatsby this fall/summer? Even then, passing up this for what could be a 3D mess (it may end up being fine, but it's an unnecessary movie to make) seems like a rare poor choice in DiCaprio's career. I won't jump to conclusions though, there have been a lot of bullshit casting rumors for Tarantino films in the past.
I'd like to hear why you consider Gatsby to be an unnecessary movie and not Django.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moose View Post
I'd like to hear why you consider Gatsby to be an unnecessary movie and not Django.
Because Gatsby has already been done and doesn't need to be remade in 3D and the script for Django was great.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
The casting is so far perplexing to me. I think Will Smith is a both safe and dangerous. From a marketing standpoint, it is safe. From a thematic standpoint, it is easier to picture someone like Michael K. Williams for the first half of the script (hell, Django has a scar on his face too). Ultimately I think I would be more exited to see how Smith would play it. That to me is more exiting (albeit riskier), since it is almost too easy to picture Williams in the role. It would be difficult for Smith to shake his charisma for the first 50 minutes however.

What is even more perplexing is QT's comments on the role of Shultz. Earlier in the week he was interviewed and was annoyed when the interviewer made the assumption that Shultz would be Waltz. He replied with something like "I never said he was in the movie.", likewise, Waltz has denied involvement as well.

Variety reports that QT may well repeat the casting process of Basterds again, where he offers a German role to Leonardo DiCaprio (who speaks some German), ultimately going with Waltz because DiCaprio declined (both roles). This perplexes the shit out of me. I'm not the biggest DiCaprio fan (his recent struggle of portraying hard men hasn't amounted to a whole hell of a lot more than squinting and enunciating slowly and "intensely"). Why does QT want that guy so badly? He also apparently wanted Brad Pitt for a role in Django Unchained, Pitt also declined. Is he just throwing offers to box office stars to secure a comfortable budget?
I'm pretty sure that the whole casting Leo as Landa was a total rumor first off. QT repeatedly said he couldn't get anyone to play Landa because the role required an actor to speak fluent German and Italian (which DiCaprio doesn't) and that Waltz nailed it. So similarly, i really doubt QT is going after Leo for the role of Shultz. Leo just seems way too young for that role (but i havent read the script yet so i may be off base here).

Im think Waltz will definitely get the Shultz part, it seems tailor-made for him no matter what either of them say now. Sam Jackson will hopefully, hopefully lock the deal on Stephen, the cunniving slave, which i would love because Sam Jackson has been in some right shite films without QT.

And then there's Django...Will Smith would be a terrible choice. He's no Brad Pitt when it comes to charisma and acting chops so i pray this never happens. I honestly think that the perfect Django would be (apart from Michael K. Williams which is extremely unlikely) ....

Chiwetel Ejiofor

He's got the look, the acting chops, the charisma. Basically, everything but the star-power.

We'll see how this plays out but whatever happens, please no Will Smith.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 AM
I foresee this film having a hard time going into production. That's why Smith makes the most sense. There's no way in hell a studio is going to greenlight Django Unchained with Michael K. Williams, Idris Elba, or Chiwetel Ejiofor. Luckily, Smith is also a fine actor. I don't doubt his chops. My only beef with him are his choices in films, but his performance in Ali was something special that I think has been forgotten by most. I actually think he's on the same level as Brad Pitt talent wise, but Pitt makes smarter choices. Anybody who says Smith lacks charisma hasn't seen Six Degrees of Separation. And this is coming from a guy who likes maybe a quarter of the films he's been in.

I think the bigger WTF here is Leonardo DiCaprio. You want to talk about a guy who lacks charisma? Well, there you go. This guy's go to emotion is maximum overdrive. Christoph Waltz oozes charm and that is Schultz' most endearing quality.

Having read the script, I'm actually surprised the villains weren't all that interesting. They were serviceable, but not as memorable as Bill, Elle Driver or Hans Landa. The closest to that was Stephen, but there wasn't nearly enough of him.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
Having read the script, I'm actually surprised the villains weren't all that interesting. They were serviceable, but not as memorable as Bill, Elle Driver or Hans Landa. The closest to that was Stephen, but there wasn't nearly enough of him.
Probably 'cuz QT doesn't wanna glorify these guys in any capacity. Makes sense considering the touchy nature of the subject matter...
Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM
What about Anthony Mackie for the lead of Django?

He is on the rise quickly...and has been awesome in his last couple films...thoughts?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Probably 'cuz QT doesn't wanna glorify these guys in any capacity. Makes sense considering the touchy nature of the subject matter...
That's a good point. I think they still could have been evil, but with a little more meat on them. Hans Landa was a Nazi, but that didn't stop him from making him interesting. But this was pretty much the Django and Schultz show most of the way.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I gotta get my hands on this script (this happens everytime a new QT script leaks...I tell myself i will resist but it becomes way too tempting to do so).

Anybody that can hook me up with a link/file of it please PM me.

As far Smith's concerned, I want to clarify. The guy certainly had charisma. I loved Fresh Prince, Six Degrees, the first Men in Black and other early stuff. But his choice of films in the past decade or so (more?) have been so abismal, so full of ego and Oscar-bait that it completely turned me off Smith. I can't take him seriously anymore. He was playing a scientist in that apocalyptic movie (I forget the name now, completely forgettable film) and I was laughing through-out mostly at him trying to portray a scientist than at his half-ass jokes.

Of course QT tends to turn stuff into gold most of the time so it won't be all wrong if Smith decides to take it. But meh, i just wish it was someone else.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM
DaMovieMan, I hear you on his choices. Smith hasn't been interesting this past decade. I just think it's a case of a good actor going to waste.

As for your request, allow me to redirect you to my old post:

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=68
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't think i've ever gone from "FUCK!!" to "HELL YES!" so quickly.

You're the man Cosmic. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:28 PM
On Sunday morning, actor Idris Elba made some very cryptic tweets: “Having one of the biggest meetings of my professional life today…meeting a very controversial director for a very controversial part. :-/ On the plane to the destination of my fate…..ok…. a lil dramatic….destination of my life..?” Many people think that Elba was on his way to meet with Quentin Tarantino for the title role (or maybe a supporting role) in Tarantino’s latest, Django Unchained.

I would have thought everything was secure for Will Smith by now. Maybe it isn't.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Elba > Smith, in nearly every conceivable way.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that Elba could even grab the mic and prove to be a better emcee than Smith too....

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 05-30-2011 at 03:12 PM..
Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I was beginning to warm up to the idea of Smith but damn if i'll argue against Elba. The man is talented and the thought of him as Django gets me more exited than the thought of Will. I wonder if they could secure a healthy budget with him in the lead.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Yea Elba trumps Smith on every level (apart from stardom which shouldn't count) so I'm hoping those tweets were indeed Django related. But it's all very soon to speculate. He may even be auditioning for another role in the same film (Stephen?)
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 AM
Could someone with the script PM me please.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Elba > Smith, in nearly every conceivable way.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that Elba could even grab the mic and prove to be a better emcee than Smith too....
Nah, don't bet your house on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXd3T...ECA60CC993DA18

Last edited by SS-Block; 06-01-2011 at 06:34 AM..
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Can anyone comment on the veracity of these new DiCaprio = Calvin Candie rumors?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853728/news#ni11203522
Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilljoy View Post
Can anyone comment on the veracity of these new DiCaprio = Calvin Candie rumors?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853728/news#ni11203522
It'd be great if this was true. Leo needs to play a villain already.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
It'd be great if this was true. Leo needs to play a villain already.
I agree...but not this villain. This character needs an older, more overtly sleazy type of vibe that doesn't fit DiCaprio for me
Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Whoever posted about Powers Boothe being the bad guy is right. I read the script and I couldn't imagine another person saying that dialogue.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Having just read the script, two things occur to me; Gee whiz, QT sure did use the word 'nigger' a lot, and Leo DiCaprio would be a terrible fit for Calvin Candie.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Having not read the script yet....

Cranston for Candle?

Hm?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Awesome pic.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Quote:

Cranston for Candle?
Yes please. Having read the script, I would be thrilled if QT offered Cranston the role of Candie. It would be a year of villiany for him, between Total Recall and this.

Crossing my fingers.

Last edited by Delmont ; 06-06-2011 at 11:02 PM..
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 PM
I could see Cranston ROCKIN' the role of Candie, if Powers Booth wasn't cast. He can do no wrong in my book
Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Leonardo DiCaprio is now in actual talks with QT and others to star in Django Unchained.

Also, Will Smith is becoming a long shot to sign on.

Here is the story - http://bit.ly/j4Igrn

Last edited by P1NSTR1PEZ; 06-08-2011 at 12:58 AM..
Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Smith is a *great* actor when he wants to be, he has proven this many times. I have no problems with his casting. Tarantino shouldn't have much trouble in getting a great performance out of him.

If you can't see Smith's acting talent, then it simply means you're not capable of judging acting skills objectively, and your judgement is clouded by other issues ("His movies suck! His music sucks! All the stupid kids in my school like him, which means he sucks!)".
Old 06-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm reading the script now, and I'm sure it's going to be bad ass. Will Smith is going to say no. Rumor has it Q.T. has been talking with Smith for over a year now. Smith is also known for passing up huge roles: i.e Neo in The Matrix.
Smith is a safe bet, but it's not gonna happen.
Maybe an unknown could be considered? Since the cast is going to be star heavy anyway, it wouldn't hurt. I just don't see anyone whose already out in Hollywood in the role of Django... maybe Djimon Housou?
Other possibles: Samuel L. Jackson (he's in nearly all of Q.T.'s films)
Ving Rhames
Michael Jai White
Bokeem Woodbine (where is he anyway?)
See? An unknown should have this one.
I'm also pretty sure any actor who chooses to play the role will get backlash from the Black community because of the sensitive subject matter. Me? I'm all for a freed slave killing slave owners in a flick. The marketing on this one is going to have to be pretty genius.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Having read the script I think that, while there are a number of options, Michael K Williams is definitely the best fit for the role.

I want to level a criticism against the script, though. I think it will be interesting and enjoyable, but QT's mentality seems to be a total waste of his talent. He's definitely gotten into this "I'm such a fucking genius I'm going to make these weird little compelling 70sish movies" mode; he's really given up going for any sort of serious masterpiece since 1997. It's fun to have the 2000s QT of Kill Bill, Basterds, etc. but this will now be his fifth movie that is sort of compelling but not any sort of cinematic leap. Can anyone really say that we wouldn't be better off if these five weren't trying to hit the cinematic levels of his first three films?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
Smith is a *great* actor when he wants to be, he has proven this many times. I have no problems with his casting. Tarantino shouldn't have much trouble in getting a great performance out of him.

If you can't see Smith's acting talent, then it simply means you're not capable of judging acting skills objectively, and your judgement is clouded by other issues ("His movies suck! His music sucks! All the stupid kids in my school like him, which means he sucks!)".
Apart from "Ali" and "Six Degrees of Separation", what else was he really good in.

He's an alright actor, so many are better than him and many are better suited for the role of Django. I'm happy that stories indicate he'll probably pass. Leaves room for more quality.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Having read the script I think that, while there are a number of options, Michael K Williams is definitely the best fit for the role.

I want to level a criticism against the script, though. I think it will be interesting and enjoyable, but QT's mentality seems to be a total waste of his talent. He's definitely gotten into this "I'm such a fucking genius I'm going to make these weird little compelling 70sish movies" mode; he's really given up going for any sort of serious masterpiece since 1997. It's fun to have the 2000s QT of Kill Bill, Basterds, etc. but this will now be his fifth movie that is sort of compelling but not any sort of cinematic leap. Can anyone really say that we wouldn't be better off if these five weren't trying to hit the cinematic levels of his first three films?
I agree completely, and would only add that even with all that you've said being true, I can count on just two hands the number of films made in the 2000s that I think are better than Inglourious or Kill Bill. Why don't other filmmakers step it up so that Tarantino at least feels contemporary competition? (And no, I don't consider PTA's work at all comparable, as I much prefer Boogie Nights to TWBB, and think Tarantino both more gifted and more consistently great.)
Old 06-09-2011, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Apart from "Ali" and "Six Degrees of Separation", what else was he really good in.
He gave an incredibly moving performance in The Pursuit of Happyness. I thought he was superb in Seven Pounds. And in I Am Legend he was able to arrest the audiences attention for most of the movie all by himself with no other human actors (for the first two thirds that is). I also liked him a lot in Enemy of the State where he played a regular guy.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 AM
BTW, it appears a lot of you have read the script. Can somebody point me in the right direction? I'd love to read the thing.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
You're a fucking genius. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
You're a fucking genius. Why didn't I think of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
As for casting... Michael K. Williams has to play Django.