Old 05-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Save Your Money - See "Priest" in 2D

This review is from my article at 3Dmoviereviewhq

http://3dmoviereviewhq.com/2011/05/1...a-few-prayers/

The movie "Priest" based on the graphic novel series written by Min-Woo Hyung was just released today. The release date was pushed back due to post-conversion from 2D to 3D. I have not read the graphic novel to tell you how well it is portrayed in the movie, however, the movie’s ending made me feel like I hadn't quite seen everything there was to see in this movie and it would come back in 15…So, I waited, hoping there would be a morsel to go on for the next movie at the end of the credits – hate to break it to you, but there was none.

Now for the goods… I am now starting to believe that any post-converted 3D production just isn’t quite as good in 3D as those movies produced in 3D to begin with. You would think that an 1880's meets future world vampire thriller would be extremely intense in 3D, however, this one didn’t quite meet the bar. I have to say the best 3D part of the whole movie was the credits when bats started flying around – ouch, huh! In terms of ratings, I am giving this 3D movie review a “D” for 3D effects – disappointing I know!

As for exciting 3D parts happening, they didn't. Every time I could sense something big was about to happen, I would push my 3D glasses up on my face, feeling the adrenaline start to rush only to be let down by cool “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” moves with no real exciting 3D effects. So, I began to count. Six times, and really only in the second half of the movie, did I feel that my glasses were worth wearing. There was one scene at Jericho that was actually a good depth scene in 3D. It left me hoping for more, however, more didn't come. “Priest” was also a very dark movie as you would imagine. Vampires, as the story goes, only come out at night and dwell in “hives” or dark caves. I can see why 3D was more of an afterthought for this movie. Dark movies and 3D just don’t mix well. Dark becomes darker with glasses on. I had to pull my glasses down at least three to four times during the movie to see what was really going on.

However, the movie itself, being the first of the series, set the plot up nicely for the next movies to come. Paul Bettany, whom I've loved as an actor ever since I saw him in "A Beautiful Mind" in 2001, played the Priest. He was brilliant, pulling me into the ghosts of his character. Karl Urban, Cam Gigandet, Maggie Q, and Lily Collins all were amazing as well. I would have to say that I am definitely interested in the rest of the series. If any future films are post-converted 3D and dark like this one, I will be saving my money and going to see it in 2D.

Let's wrap this 3D movie review up. Doing for you what we do best - checking out the 3D version so you can get the best bang for your buck – save your money this time around. If you want to see this graphic novel, I encourage you to see it in 2D! You will sleep better at night knowing you had, trust me!