Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Director Lars Von Trier Says He's a Nazi and Sympathizes with Hitler

Career Over?...Let the over sensitive peolple come out and destroy him.

Danish director Lars von Trier (Dogville) grew up in a Communist family and is known for making anti-American comments, but during a press conference for "Melancholia" at the Cannes Film Festival, the helmer stated that he sympathizes with Hitler and speculated that his next movie may be "The Final Solution."

"Then I found out I was actually a Nazi. My family were German. And that also gave me some pleasure. What can I say? I understand Hitler... I sympathize with him a bit," said von Trier. "Now how can I get out of this sentence? Ok. I'm a Nazi."

He added: "We Nazis like to do things on a big scale. Maybe I could do 'The Final Solution.'"

Von Trier tried to clear up his statements by saying that he's not in favor of World War II and is not against Jews. He then went on to say: "Well, Israel is a pain in the ass." The helmer explained that he would never make such statements in the US, since it would mean the end of his career. But he's in France, so it's ok.

Source: THR

Read more: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...#ixzz1Mnrvl95x

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LayW8...embedded#at=16
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Whether he was was having a joke or not, it's a very stupid thing to say. Fuck off Mr. Von Trier

Last edited by Heisenberg; 05-19-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 AM
How does one end their career effectively and in a broad masterstroke in the entertainment industry?

Hmm...

Kinda difficult in a world of second chanc....

Lars Von Trier shows you how it's done.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Lars Von Trierying hard to end his career early.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM
I was laughing at Dunst during the video. She looked displeased.

He's been banned, apparently:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/foll...lars-von-trier

As I'm sure you've heard by now, yesterday at a Cannes press conference to promote his upcoming film MELANCHOLIA, Lars von Trier said, "I really wanted to be a Jew, and then I found out I was really a Nazi, you know, because my family was German … which also gave me some pleasure...What can I say? I understand Hitler." Anyone who understands Von Trier's particular brand of "humor" (what he said wasn't funny but it was clear he wasn't actually being serious) knows this was just the director being his usual provocative self, if not an insensitive ass. He later issued an apology but that's not enough for the Cannes organizers as today they've formally banned him from the fest.

The Festival de Cannes provides artists from around the world with an exceptional forum to present their works and defend freedom of expression and creation. The Festival’s Board of Directors, which held an extraordinary meeting this Thursday 19 May 2011, profoundly regrets that this forum has been used by Lars von Trier to express comments that are unacceptable, intolerable, and contrary to the ideals of humanity and generosity that preside over the very existence of the Festival. The Board of Directors firmly condemns these comments and declares Lars Von Trier a persona non grata at the Festival de Cannes, with effect immediately.

"Persona non grata" is mostly an idiom in the US but actually has some meaning in international diplomacy. It essentially prohibits one from entering a country and is usually reserved for diplomats and otherwise protected ambassadors. Long story short, they kicked out Von Trier and told him not to come back.

Von Trier has been a staple at Cannes since the mid-80s and has won a number of awards for his films over the years (BREAKING THE WAVES won the Grand Prix and DANCER IN THE DARK won the Palme d'Or). How long the Cannes organizers will stick to this edict remains to be seen, especially given that just days ago they stood up and cheered for Mel Gibson, who might actually be an anti-Semite.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 AM
I wonder if he would get banned if he say's " I support Africas mass genocide that happened some years ago".....doubt he would.

Jews...Homosexuals.....can't touch.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
The Festival de Cannes provides artists from around the world with an exceptional forum to present their works and defend freedom of expression and creation.
And yet von Trier was banned for expressing his beliefs? What he said was not anti-semetic, nor prejudiced. All that he said was simply stating he understood the Nazi political party, not the actions which Hitler and his regimes took upon themselves, but the fascist party it began as. I stand behind the director 200% on this one, all for the fact that he submitted to apologies for his opinion. I mean, he even explained this as to not offend anyone:

Quote:
Von Trier tried to clear up his statements by saying that he's not in favor of World War II and is not against Jews.
The only thing even possible of being offensive or controversial in that statemtent was his joke about Israel, but it was just that! A joke!

Last edited by MisoGenie; 05-19-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Why can't you joke about Israel....?..but you can do it to far lesser country with no repercussion?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Cannes and Dunst missed the obvious sarcasm from Von Trier.

However, I'm sure Von Trier is delighted to be banned.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
And yet von Trier was banned for expressing his beliefs? What he said was not anti-semetic, nor prejudiced. All that he said was simply stating he understood the Nazi political part, not the actions which Hitler and his regimes took upon themselves, but the fascist party it began as. I stand behind the director 200% on this one, all for the fact that he submitted to apologies for his opinion. I mean, he even explained this as to not offend anyone:

The only thing even possible of being offensive or controversial in that statemtent was his joke about Israel, but it was just that! A joke!
Thank you, the first sensible post. Trier has a big mouth but he's no Nazi.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Why can't you joke about Israel....?..but you can do it to far lesser country with no repercussion?
You can and should have the freedom to joke about Israel and also the Jewish religion. But in this case our friend Lars made jokes about being a Nazi and the holocaust, which is seemingly still a touchy subject. There's been enough time past, he should be able to make a joke if he wishes without the p.c brigade spitting venom at him.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 AM

Last edited by Bourne101; 05-19-2011 at 09:31 AM..
Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Cannes has a very long and storied history with von Trier. They have a decent idea of his persona and his antics. How they could take him seriously here is beyond me.

I have to believe they know he was joking (how could anyone not?) and decided to ban him anyway, I suppose because "you can't joke about that." A film festival, of all places, should be somewhere that allows for free expression and all sacred cows to be slaughtered. Especially when someone's just being intentionally provocative, as he always is, and for a larf.

Lars continues to be funny, Cannes made themselves look pretty lame.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 05-19-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 AM
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...om_festival_/#

Quote:
If we may, we'd like to highlight four of those words quickly: "freedom of expression and creation." Yes, the director was being a prize ass, to the surprise of absolutely no-one. But we'd think that the official reprimand, and subsequent apology would have been the end of the story, without the need to blacklist the director. If Von Trier had stood up and outlined racial supremacist views, that would have been one thing, but he was nowhere near that, and even clarified his views at the time, and to ban Von Trier from the festival only a few days after parading Mel Gibson, a man on record as making genuinely racist and anti-Semitic statements, down the red carpet for the out-of-competition premiere of The Beaver, a move designed to generate publicity just as much as Von Trier's comments were, is an act of staggering hypocrisy.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM
You say Cannes is going down in hill? I say you're wrong. They have all the best movie related people in attendance. There's...erm...that one from girls aloud...and someone who I believe is a former T4 presenter...and someone else. All the coolest kids are going.

http://uk.specials.lifestyle.yahoo.c...in-cannes-1208
Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Cannes is doing this the same year they're screening what will presumably be Jafar Panahi's last film. Awesome.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:21 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/wtf_HAHA...112957-580.jpg
Old 05-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Lars is so stupid. If he would have just filmed some dude crying over a portrait of Hitler, while mutilating his arm that has a Jewish star on it, we wouldn't have this problem!

Get it? Cause if it's in your film, it's art and freedom of expression.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Won't somebody please think of the Hitlers.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankpage View Post
Lars is so stupid. If he would have just filmed some dude crying over a portrait of Hitler, while mutilating his arm that has a Jewish star on it, we wouldn't have this problem!

Get it? Cause if it's in your film, it's art and freedom of expression.
Say kid, have you ever thought of a career in the show biz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Won't somebody please think of the Hitlers.
Say, kid, have you ever thought of working for Cannes Movie Festival?

Last edited by MisoGenie; 05-19-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't see how this will hurt his career. It's not like he's a big mainstream name or anything. He's a weird man who makes weird little movies that no one watches.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I don't see how this will hurt his career. It's not like he's a big mainstream name or anything. He's a weird man who makes weird little movies that no one watches.
Honestly? The controversy will probably help peak some people's interest enough to put Melancholia onto the popular radar. Who knows though, that crazy general audience is a tough crowd.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Lars Von Trier is an asshole.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Right okay... First of all I think freedom of expression needs to be emphasized (which it already has). Von Trier has done nothing wrong in simply saying he understands the political not racial ideologies of the Nazi party. He is free (and fuck it i support his right to) say what he pleases.

Secondly, from a historical point of view he's not completely off base. Of course I'll be attacked for saying this but oh well. The war reparations enforced by article 231 in the Treaty of Versailles were economically and culturally crippling for the German people. The rise of Hitler can be easily predicted with that in mind. Of course we all know that the holocaust was a bad thing, I shouldn't need to say that, but Hitler brought prosperity back to a dying Germany. Understanding that, and in a sense sympathizing with the political choices of the Third Reich is something that is far from immoral, and is in a way historically beneficial.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Hey may be knowledgeable enough to know that, but he's not wise enough to keep his fucking mouth shut.

He said something to provoke people. They responded, it's his right to say what he wants, and it's Cannes Film Festival's right to ban him. What's the problem?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Hey may be knowledgeable enough to know that, but he's not wise enough to keep his fucking mouth shut.

He said something to provoke people. They responded, it's his right to say what he wants, and it's Cannes Film Festival's right to ban him. What's the problem?
I don't really see a problem, he said something totally within his rights and they reacted in a way they saw fit.

plus he's a fellow dane!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
Secondly, from a historical point of view he's not completely off base. Of course I'll be attacked for saying this but oh well. The war reparations enforced by article 231 in the Treaty of Versailles were economically and culturally crippling for the German people. The rise of Hitler can be easily predicted with that in mind. Of course we all know that the holocaust was a bad thing, I shouldn't need to say that, but Hitler brought prosperity back to a dying Germany. Understanding that, and in a sense sympathizing with the political choices of the Third Reich is something that is far from immoral, and is in a way historically beneficial.
Dude, I got an exam on this on Friday...
Old 05-21-2011, 01:38 AM
I couldn't care less what this fool has to say about anything (I love The Element of Crime but I've really detested everything else he's made since), so the high point of this all for me was seeing my favorite lumpy, pebble toothed scofflaw K. Dunce squirm like she had an unreachable wedgie as he blabbered on and on.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Right okay... First of all I think freedom of expression needs to be emphasized (which it already has). Von Trier has done nothing wrong in simply saying he understands the political not racial ideologies of the Nazi party. He is free (and fuck it i support his right to) say what he pleases.

Yeah I took AP American History too, its still a dumb thing to say especially when its just to get a rise out of a press soaked event like Cannes.

Triers is like some ground hog of controversy. He pops his head up once a year to see if he's relevant and if he's not, blurts out some garbage and voila, 6 more years of press.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
Yeah I took AP American History too, its still a dumb thing to say especially when its just to get a rise out of a press soaked event like Cannes.

Triers is like some ground hog of controversy. He pops his head up once a year to see if he's relevant and if he's not, blurts out some garbage and voila, 6 more years of press.
That's european history... and we don't have ap's in Denmark. try again
Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Let me begin by saying "Thank you!!!" This is exactly what I meant, but stated a thousand times better! People are overreacting in a way that they have far less a right to than von Trier had to state his beliefs. (I'm looking directly at you, Cannes.) Even if he did state his opinion jokingly, he still has that right! As brought up earlier, Mel Gibson just recieved an overall positive reception at the same festival for his film The Beaver, and he is racially against the Jewish population. Theoretically, I agree with him. If he had said "I believe we should reinstate the Genocide of the Jewish people," then I would oppose him but not letting him show his film at a film festival which exercises the right of freedom of speech is just irrelevant. I think both Cannes and the fans themselves are making a big deal about not such a great topic. Unlike most celebrities today,at least Lars von Trier has something to say, whether we agree with it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana View Post
Dude, I got an exam on this on Friday...
I've got one Wednesday, so the timing of this discussion is perfect.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
Let me begin by saying "Thank you!!!" This is exactly what I meant, but stated a thousand times better! People are overreacting in a way that they have far less a right to than von Trier had to state his beliefs. (I'm looking directly at you, Cannes.) Even if he did state his opinion jokingly, he still has that right! As brought up earlier, Mel Gibson just recieved an overall positive reception at the same festival for his film The Beaver, and he is racially against the Jewish population. Theoretically, I agree with him. If he had said "I believe we should reinstate the Genocide of the Jewish people," then I would oppose him but not letting him show his film at a film festival which exercises the right of freedom of speech is just irrelevant. I think both Cannes and the fans themselves are making a big deal about not such a great topic. Unlike most celebrities today,at least Lars von Trier has something to say, whether we agree with it or not.

I've got one Wednesday, so the timing of this discussion is perfect.
I'm with you. I don't back up what Von Trier said in any way, shape, or form. As a Danish person his excuse that 'they just don't get my danish humor' is fucking absurd. However until the day I die i'll back his right to say whatever the fuck he wants to. And as noted above I do intellectually understand what he's saying.

That being said, i also back Cannes for having the right to ban the shit out of him. It's a private institution (I think?) and they can do whatever they want. I think they overreacted, and the punishment was a little over the top, but hey they can do it.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Dunst's face is priceless here.

Sly promotion? It's all in the paper's over here in England.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
A foreign woody allen if you will
Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Quote:
That's european history... and we don't have ap's in Denmark. try again

Last time I checked America was involved in World War two and in MY AP American History class we discussed the precursors to what led to World War two and the rise of the Third Reich.

Statement still stands. AP or no AP.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 AM
He may have been joking, but it wasn't funny. You have to some kind of moron to say ANYWHERE but a Nazi meeting that you're a Hitler sympathizer and found pleasure in finding out he was a Nazi. He said that he would never say such things in the U.S., but France is ok? I guess he forgot that the Nazis invaded France. Then he says that he doesn't dislike Jews, but Israel is a pain in the ass.

There's one of several possibilities: he's a dumbass, he's a dumbass Nazi, or the dumbest comedian ever.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
He may have been joking, but it wasn't funny. You have to some kind of moron to say ANYWHERE but a Nazi meeting that you're a Hitler sympathizer and found pleasure in finding out he was a Nazi. He said that he would never say such things in the U.S., but France is ok? I guess he forgot that the Nazis invaded France. Then he says that he doesn't dislike Jews, but Israel is a pain in the ass.

There's one of several possibilities: he's a dumbass, he's a dumbass Nazi, or the dumbest comedian ever.
Israel is a pain in the ass...
Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
Last time I checked America was involved in World War two and in MY AP American History class we discussed the precursors to what led to World War two and the rise of the Third Reich.

Statement still stands. AP or no AP.
I am really excited for you.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Israel is a pain in the ass...
But I'm betting you didn't just confess to being a Nazi.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
But I'm betting you didn't just confess to being a Nazi.
Well, my grandfather was a Nazi here in Denmark, but I don't think that makes me a Nazi. What's bothersome to me is he lavishes the idea of being a nazi. I think we all know this is a publicity stunt, and parts of what he's saying is justifiable, but being happy about it... on a personal level it's been a difficult thing for my family to overcome, so trust me i get why people are pissed