Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Man Dies After Planking Stunt

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-brisbane-unit

At the moment there is a new craze going on
It started on youtube and facebook where people pull dangerous stunts where they lay on there stomach from great hieghts

At first it was all fun and games but now there has been a terrible accident involving a young man trying to do a planking act on the 7th floor of his building at the time he was blind drunk and lost his balance and fell and killed him self
There have been a couple of VFL footballers doing this act and sending it on facebook and youtube but this was on or near the ground
Peple now are climbing to great hieghts and risking there life to proof there are better than the next person
One person on facebook told fellow plankers to not worry about the death of the man who has just died he was only 20yrs old.

What is happening to this generation of young people are they bored or what
I would really loove your opinion of this

Here are some images of this planking craze which is happening all over the world

Last edited by Bondgirl; 05-15-2011 at 08:14 PM..
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't fucking get it. It's gotta be something "to do" while you're drunk, or high off your ass.

In that case, I don't feel bad for the guy who died.... Why? Because he was dumb fuckin' enough to do this intoxicated or not. I've been completely fucking plastered, and never had any sort of inclination to do anything remotely ridiculous as this. Maybe I just have more of a brain than others though.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Well l have to agree this man did do something really stupid and l bet he was encouraged by his mates to do it
On his facebook account which was shown on last nights news he said he was a action man and enjoyed taking risks
I do feel sorry for his family who would be greiving for this man he was so young and would have had so much going for him.

The problem is that people from all over the world are competing to be the best at planking which l really think is stupid
A man who lives at the same appartment block knew the bloke and couldnt beleive he would do such a thing

IN Australia the goverment are trying to pass a law so police can arrest people for doing these stunts
If they dont do anything we are going to have alot of young people dying

This image is of a simalar act that the man tryed to copy but like l said he was 7 floors up and the rail he was trying to lay on would have held him

Last edited by Bondgirl; 05-15-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
IN Australia the goverment are trying to pass a law so police can arrest people for doing these stunts
That'd be pretty ridiculous. How is it a crime? If people are trespassing or whatever, then that's the crime. Making it illegal to...what? Lay down flat on something? That's an absurd overreaction. You can't legislate against every stupid thing a person might do.

This is a potentially dangerous stupid behavior people do for fun. I don't see how it's any different than extreme sports or BASE jumping or free running or trying to skateboard over a flight of stairs though. Someone died, that's a shame, but I don't really see a lesson in it or much of a warning to people beyond: Hey, if you're up somewhere high trying to lie down on a ledge, you might fall and hurt yourself - which isn't something anyone, including the deceased, doesn't know. Drunk people fall off shit to their death regularly enough to not think planking was the root cause here.

The media's always looking for the next fad to scare people about. OMG, do you know your kids might be playing "smash or pass" on facebook? It's sweeping the nation! Buy our toothpaste!

Last edited by QUENTIN; 05-24-2011 at 02:36 AM..
Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM
The word "STUPID" comes to mind here
Old 05-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Well after the death of this young man police are getting concerned on the way thiese stunts are being performed
You are right it is not a crime if you are not on someones property but if you are you will get charged if this becomes law
Kids are so bored thses days and they are trying anything and they dont care about what happens to them

Which is quite scary when you think about it

The problem needs to be handled but l do think this type of activitie will stop after a while and something will take over this
Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Most of the time people have a choice. For the sake of argument, these people who plank, and the one who died have/had a choice. If they want to be retarded douche-bags and perform equally retarded stunts for whatever reason. Then I say FUCK them. I despise anybody who has zero respect for their own lives, and in doing anything dangerous that may effect the lives of others. Wake the FUCK up is what I would tell them. People's stupidity never ceases to amaze me. It knows no limits as far as I am concerned.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 AM
People are stupid.
These people being stupid enough to "plank" themselves to death is a good process, as long as there are no medical bills if they happen to survive. Don't want to have our/other countries'/peoples' tax dollars spent on idiots.

You do stupid shit, it's not the rest of the world's responsibility to babysit your stupid ass.

Know the risks; if you're drunk, don't be STUPID and go without supervision. Have friends around that will watch your back in your time of STUPIDITY.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 AM
To lie on a balcony railing 7 floors up is absolutely ridiculous, and I agree with KC when he says that our money should not be spent on muppets who act stupid.

As for things like skydiving or base jumping, if someone's shute fails to open or it gets twisted and they land hard and need emergency help, then that's fine with me. If they took all the proper safety precautions beforehand then its just an unfortunate accident and not because of their own carelessness. I don't know what people are expecting to happen whey they lie on a piece of rail that high up without any harnesses.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 AM
It's no surprise that Facebook and possibly other social media's are involved in this sort of stupid crap. I mean it's great that technology has brought us all together but that the same time it's brought all the idiot mouth breathers together as well and no good can come of that.

Otherwise this is just typical adolescent crap that happens when you add alcohol or other mind altering substances and the idiots must find the the most ridiculous way to one up each other. I've seen stuff like this at parties but have never thought to participate in the insanity regardless of my own personal intoxication (usually when i get wasted i just want to sit still!)

In terms of danger it's really dependent on the person's own level of stupidity or intoxication but aside from those factors i can't see this being any more dangerous then stuff like Parkour. Now on the flip side Parkour is far more self affirming then Planking so you gotta wonder what kind of risk vs reward system going on in these ppl's head's.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
That is without a doubt the stupidest thing I've read on here in some time. And there is absolutely no truth to it. Just opinion. Which makes it even stupider. You know what, I hear there was this guy that had a heart attack while watching a movie. We should ban those too. Oh wait, and I heard some kid died riding his bike. Bicycling should be made illegal!

Statements like this truly showcase stupidity in it's purest form.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Wow...how this ever became the thing to do is beyond me...
Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Is Facebook the new scapegoat? Move over video games! Your time has passed. Society now blames every retard in the worlds retard behavior on Facebook.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Is Facebook the new scapegoat? Move over video games! Your time has passed. Society now blames every retard in the worlds retard behavior on Facebook.
Not true, just the retardness that gets displayed on Facebook. There are still plenty of other places to blame like Youtube

If anything it's like i said that the only way Facebook could be faulted in any of this is that it gave an easy means for these idiots to hook up. They still could have done it otherwise, Facebook just made it easy, so there is no way to really fault the site for this nonsense.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM
i have no sympathy for fools who kill themselves while under the influence... it's just one more person who will miss out on the next Batman film.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Planking should be outlawed. Buildings should only be one story tall to prevent this behavior. I want this stopped before the craze reaches the United States. It's just too damn extreme!!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Planking should be outlawed. Buildings should only be one story tall to prevent this behavior. I want this stopped before the craze reaches the United States. It's just too damn extreme!!
Oddly enough i just read about some Kenyan marathon runner died after falling off his 1 story balcony so limiting the size of buildings is not the way to go
Old 05-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Oddly enough i just read about some Kenyan marathon runner died after falling off his 1 story balcony so limiting the size of buildings is not the way to go
Considering it's entirely possible that anyone at any time could trip, fall and die it amazes me how most people still haven't come to terms with the fact they will some day die.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM
They should outlaw death.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Buy our toothpaste!
But I don't want the fluoride taking over my mind!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't know what gets in these young people's minds. Stupid stunts they pull for what? 15 minutes of fame? I'm not impressed.

There are all kinds of crap people are pulling these days. Things you'd never hear of 20, 30 years ago.

Also, I left Facebook because it drained me. And I only watch you tube for movies and music, to reminise the past. Though, I find it odd to see some of the mean and hateful remarks that people post on you tube. They get on topics that has nothing to do with the original vid and things get ugly and out of hand.

To be honest, I just want my old MTV back. I mean, the really old MTV from 27 years ago!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
So I take this as the world is officially one person less stupid? I mean, I do feel bad for the family and all, but what an idiot!

Bondgirl, is there any formula that you type your sentences with because they're unlike anything I've ever read!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Sorry, but the government and society in general need to stop trying to f*#% with natural selection. We really don't need the people who lack the foresight to acknowledge & consider the consequences of stupid actions to keep reproducing. Cold-hearted? Maybe. Honest? Yes.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 AM
In Australia just a day or so ago, two fuckwits...err, I mean, school students, got suspended from their school for planking within the school grounds during school hours. Good riddance I say. Wankers. Hey, let's make it a national sport and set aside a public holiday each and every year just so these retarded douche-bags can go kill themselves. Hey, good idea. What dickheads.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Yes they are stepping up a ban on planking in schools.
There was a incident where a couple of boys were wanting to plank on a netball ring and were stopped from doing this
Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Yes they are stepping up a ban on planking in schools.
There was a incident where a couple of boys were wanting to plank on a netball ring and were stopped from doing this
Why stop them? I say let them do it, and hopefully, they will kill themselves in the process. I am sorry, Bondgirl, I am not a callous person. But I have seen stupidity, and I have seen STUPIDITY. I have no pity for people who go looking for trouble in any size, shape or form. Play with your life by doing ridiculous things, and you will, sooner or later, pay the price. Life is far too precious a commodity. To recklessly play with it is the dumbest thing one can do. If you want to test fate, then go right ahead. But in the process don't involve innocent people at your expense. I despise individuals like this. Tell them to plank on highway over passes. You can guess the rest.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Well l would have to agree with your statement.

There are so many people who are young who take huge risks thinking they are macho in there eye of there freinds

There is such a huge following on twitter facebook or youtube where people want to start groups about certain things

i know my own brother loved to take risks and got a huge buzz out of it

But now it is getting out of hand on the way young men are behaving not caring if they do hurt themselves or others

i know there was a comment on facebook which was shown on the 6pm news where people didnt give a so and so about what happened to the man and they wanted everyone to continue on this planking craze

Anyway God Of War l am glad you are giving your opinion on this thread because maybe people like our selves will show others on waht we really think of this craze on planking

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...ker-identified

okay getting on the other side of this planking craze l have a nice link to show you.

Grins

Ah nice veiw in this picture

Last edited by Bondgirl; 05-23-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Old 05-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
The media's always looking for the next fad to scare people about. OMG, do you know your kids might be playing "smash or pass" on facebook? It's sweeping the nation! Buy our toothpaste!
For every practical, and useful piece of information I learn on the Internet, it seems I learn 10 things like the meaning of "smash or pass."

Personally, I blame all this nonsense on bike helmet and seatbelt laws. This world really needs to rediscover its roots.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 AM
i planked on my bed last night for like 8 hours. get at me.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
i planked on my bed last night for like 8 hours. get at me.
Pictures or it didn't happen
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Hehehe, a guy at Uni showed me pics of a bunch of planks he was doing (not really dangerous ones, one on a stone banister, one in the middle of an empty road, one on a garbage skip, etc) and after a very brief chuckle together he asked me if I wanted to do one. I climbed up onto the nearby vending machine, he took a photo, people laughed for a couple of seconds, I thought nothing of it.

But when I jumped back down he told me "yeah some guy in Australia died doing one on the top of a building so we're going around doing these in his honour", and sure enough I didn't feel so kooky in joining in with this thing. It's obviously pretty fucking stupid, but people are always pretty fucking stupid, especially people our age.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Yes this habit of planking continues.

I think if you do it safely and not risk your life it is alright even though l find this type of thing stupid to do.

What is it with the world that they have to do this type of thing to show off to freinds or people over the internet.