#1  
Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Final Fantasy XIII-2

Well it's officially the second (single player) Final Fantasy game with a sequel. Word on the street is they "learned from their mistakes from FFXIII."

I have no idea how they plan on hitting a December 2011 release date if we have barely any information on the game. From the screenshots it looks like the story will center on Lightning and a new male character.




Official site.


My thoughts:

FFXIII was a pretty big letdown. However if the entire game had been like Gran Pulse was then it would have been truly amazing. So there is A LOT of potential here to make a really great game.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'm done with Final Fantasy.

I've played all the main titles and a surprising amount of the other games. It's been fun. Some of my favorite games of all time (particularly FFVI, Tactics, and FFIX) gave me tens of hours of fun. But XIII was just awful. I mean... AWFUL.

I've been disappointed with FF games before. VIII was a huge letdown for me after the greatness of VI and VII. I though X was muddled and had an annoying cast. But I was able to get over those games, because they at least put something on the table.

XIII was the first time that a Final Fantasy game felt generic. Everything about it, I feel I'd seen before. The plot, the layout (although certainly beautiful, it still was generic), the cast. Other than Sazh, it was all recycled JRPG or anime cliches. And they even ruined Sazh by making him the goofy clown (did he really have to posture like a tool after every shot fired?). I don't know if I can get back into this series.

I would say that I'd have to wait for some reviews, as opposed to just buying anything with the name Final Fantasy on it. But reviewers treat the series with kid gloves. The crap that was XIII has a 85.17% on gamerankings. To put that in perspective, Dragon Age Origins is an 86.28, and it's a MUCH better game. Other games in the ballpark that are much better: Tales of Symphonia (85.66), Grandia (85.87), Valkyrie Profile (84... actually lower than FFXIII), and many other RPGs.

So, the point is, I don't know what to make of the series any more. I can't trust critics, because they're blinded by the flaws of the game. Maybe I'll wait for the guys at socksmakepeoplesexy.net to write a review. I'm certainly not preordering this one.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 05-22-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I know what you mean about not being able to trust the critics. But at the same time people who give FF games negative reviews are also hard to trust. It's very much a love it or hate it series. My suggestion would be to wait and try and find some reviews from people who generally enjoyed FF in the past but also hated XIII like yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM
FF XIII was great and damn you all to the deepest pit of hades for thinking otherwise!

But seriously i'll never understand the hate it gets as i enjoyed it greatly. Of course it had it's flaws and it was slow or annoying at the time but i could go on and on and draw several similarities between it and the classics like VI and VII but there is no need to start a pissing contest.... right?

Anyway i am excited for this new installment assuming it ever sees the light of day as i don't recall the other 2 already announced games from the Fabula Nova Crystallis project getting released yet but i could be wrong.

I like how they say "we learned from FF XIII" which to me translates into "fine we'll give you more of the crap you've had before then trying something new or original cause you cried too much", heh (sry that's my WoW forums talk coming though). I see this new one being a lot of the same but them tweaking more things like just giving more needless area to explore or over complicating the combat system or something.

I thought XIII was well put together and well presented regardless if it seemed like it was running down hallways or the fact that you only controlled a single character in combat. These were all part of the brilliant looking combat and an effort to keep the player from wasting hours walking to the edge of every map possible looking for some secret cave only to find nothing like most other times in FF games.

One thing i think they could improve on though is one of the banes of many RPGs in offering an idea of real choice and that choice being important. Things like putting a roof on things like skill points so that you have to actually put thought into each character.

One game that i thought did this better then its previous installment was Fallout New Vegas over Fallout 3 and namely the Perks system. In FO3 (or at least the GotY edition that raised the lvl cap from 20 to 30) you almost had to take crappy perks just to spend the perk point cause you got one every lvl. In New Vegas they fixed this by only giving you a perk point ever other lvl so there are just as many perks (more actually) but you have half as many points to spend making you really have to make a decision on how you want your character to progress.

P.S. I love FF VIII and XIII. Darth Kenshin, you are my FF Nemesis, lol
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post

Anyway i am excited for this new installment assuming it ever sees the light of day as i don't recall the other 2 already announced games from the Fabula Nova Crystallis project getting released yet but i could be wrong.
FFXIII Versus is set to be released in early 2012. (According to Amazin pre-order.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
FFXIII Versus is set to be released in early 2012. (According to Amazin pre-order.)
How about Agito? I think that's what it's called, the PsP one that i'll never play cause my psp's control stick is fubar'd.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
How about Agito? I think that's what it's called, the PsP one that i'll never play cause my psp's control stick is fubar'd.
I have heard absolutely squat about that one. I know that they were half done with Versus when they decided to focus all their efforts on XIII. I have a psp and while I enjoyed Crisis Core, I have no interest in buying any more games for that console and regret all the dollars I spent on it. Not because it's a bad console, I just have no need for handheld gaming anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I have heard absolutely squat about that one. I know that they were half done with Versus when they decided to focus all their efforts on XIII. I have a psp and while I enjoyed Crisis Core, I have no interest in buying any more games for that console and regret all the dollars I spent on it. Not because it's a bad console, I just have no need for handheld gaming anymore.
I use it to play the old PS1 games while travelling to and from work each day, currently playing through Resident Evil 2 and tryingto unlock everything. Would be nice if Sony could get off their asses and find a way to release the pre VII FF's and Chrono Trigger though.

The only actual PsP game i ever bought was Final Fantasy Dissidia and it was good fun but my control stick died so i deleted it to save space.

I'm wondering if this XIII-2 will take place before or after the events of XIII. Probably after but it would be interesting to see how Lightening joined the army and stuff like that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I use it to play the old PS1 games while travelling to and from work each day, currently playing through Resident Evil 2 and tryingto unlock everything. Would be nice if Sony could get off their asses and find a way to release the pre VII FF's and Chrono Trigger though.
FF IV for the PsP. It's on my amazon wishlist at the moment but as I said before I'm not sure if it's worth it for a game I've already played probably 10 times through. I'm still pissed at my old neighbor for borrowing my copy of FFIII for the SNES and then fucking moving. MOVING!!!! I would love if they released Chrono Trigger for the psp. I know that Sony and Square-Enix are two different companies but it still pisses me off that almost ALL the great RPG titles are released on the Nintendo DS. Damn my consumer loyalty really bit me in the ass with that decision. Maybe I should look into a used non-3D Nintendo DS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I'm wondering if this XIII-2 will take place before or after the events of XIII. Probably after but it would be interesting to see how Lightening joined the army and stuff like that.
Judging by the cinematic on the website that shows Lightning's sister being unfrozen from the crystal I would venture a guess that it takes place afterward, possibly with a lot of flashbacks similar to how FFXIII had.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
FF IV for the PsP. It's on my amazon wishlist at the moment but as I said before I'm not sure if it's worth it for a game I've already played probably 10 times through. I'm still pissed at my old neighbor for borrowing my copy of FFIII for the SNES and then fucking moving. MOVING!!!! I would love if they released Chrono Trigger for the psp. I know that Sony and Square-Enix are two different companies but it still pisses me off that almost ALL the great RPG titles are released on the Nintendo DS. Damn my consumer loyalty really bit me in the ass with that decision. Maybe I should look into a used non-3D Nintendo DS.
Yeah i've never gotten the whole Sqaure loving Nintendo fad of the recent years. I mean didn't Square have a tiff with Nintendo back i nthe day and that's why VII was made fro the Playstation?

IMO though pretty much every FF game (exluding Jap III) has been released on the Playstation in the past so the fact that they can't get it done on the PSN pisses me off. Just release Anthology and Chronicles and we'll be happy damn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Judging by the cinematic on the website that shows Lightning's sister being unfrozen from the crystal I would venture a guess that it takes place afterward, possibly with a lot of flashbacks similar to how FFXIII had.
hmmmm, interesting. I hope they explore the Fal'cie more as there are supposed to be a couple hundred different types if i remember the first game correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
FF IV for the PsP. It's on my amazon wishlist at the moment but as I said before I'm not sure if it's worth it for a game I've already played probably 10 times through.
.
It's not just FFIV. It's FFIV, The After Years (the games that had been released on the Wii Virtual Console in parts) and some kind of game that takes place in between. I have it and am still playing IV just to remind me of what happened before I move on to the next segment. It's probably worth looking into. Even if you know IV like the back of your hand, you can still check out the After Years, which I've heard was pretty sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
P.S. I love FF VIII and XIII. Darth Kenshin, you are my FF Nemesis, lol
Haha, sorry. My main thing with video games is that, since they're games, they're supposed to be fun. XIII looked beautiful, and although the story and characters were very cliche, it didn't really bother me all THAT much (except Vanille, who I hated). But it just wasn't fun to play. I hated how few options we had for most of the game. I hated that even our party was selected for us for much of the beginning, forcing me to use characters I would never otherwise use. It just wasn't fun to me.

As for VIII, I think I'm in the minority there. My biggest problems were the junction system, which I didn't like, and the characters. Squall was just way too emo for me (I tend to like the more light-hearted characters, like Locke, Zidane, Balthier, or Zack) and he also wasn't that interesting (like Cloud or Cecil). In fact, other than Quistis, I hated that entire cast. But I know a lot of people have learned to love it over the years. Basically, I keep hearing how it was "disappointing" following the majesty of VI and VII, but in retrospect, it's not a bad game. Maybe I'll go back and give it another shot at some point. I tried twice and it didn't grab me, but maybe the third time will be a charm.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Haha, sorry. My main thing with video games is that, since they're games, they're supposed to be fun. XIII looked beautiful, and although the story and characters were very cliche, it didn't really bother me all THAT much (except Vanille, who I hated). But it just wasn't fun to play. I hated how few options we had for most of the game. I hated that even our party was selected for us for much of the beginning, forcing me to use characters I would never otherwise use. It just wasn't fun to me.
See that's the funny thing though, the bit i bolded is in every FF game except FF I casue you never change your party, lol. The FF games never open up to allow you to choose your desired party and you are pretty much just pressing 'attack' for everyone until you unlock new abilities. I've heard a lot of ppl say it just too TOO long in XIII for things to open up and with the way it's designed i can understand that.

Trust me i hated the parts where it was Sahz and Vanille early on mostly cause neither was a Commando and it made the fights take forever sometimes. But when it does open up (20hrs or so in) it's incredible fun i found. I personally have over 110 hours on my save file after fully lvling (can't get to the final crystarium stage before beating the final boss) and doing all the Hunts and i had a blast even though the majority of the hunts were easy for my fully developped characters.

My real gripe though are ppl who playted for 5 hrs and were like 'fuck it'. I mean if you don't like it and don't want to play then that's fine but don't say it's horrible (and that's not directed at Darth or Jolaar). It's like ppl who see the first half of a movie and say its a bad movie even though they never saw the end. Sure you can not like it but don't judge it until you've finished it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
As for VIII, I think I'm in the minority there. My biggest problems were the junction system, which I didn't like, and the characters. Squall was just way too emo for me (I tend to like the more light-hearted characters, like Locke, Zidane, Balthier, or Zack) and he also wasn't that interesting (like Cloud or Cecil). In fact, other than Quistis, I hated that entire cast. But I know a lot of people have learned to love it over the years. Basically, I keep hearing how it was "disappointing" following the majesty of VI and VII, but in retrospect, it's not a bad game. Maybe I'll go back and give it another shot at some point. I tried twice and it didn't grab me, but maybe the third time will be a charm.
I personally love the Junction system. For me it was Square's first step away from the "ok.. you're a fighter, you're a white mage..... etc" type set up. I liked being able to develop all my characters into power houses and maim every boss in the game, including the Ultima/Omega weapons.

Yeah the characters are a bit to de desired but for me i've never really connected with game characters till this era when you could get real emotion and acting in the vioce overs and not reading a bunch of txt, lol. Zell was my fav, so dumb sometimes but always means well

If anyhting i didn 't like the Materia system in VII. Having to sacrafice a better weapon and not use it just cause it's slots aren't what you need sucked. The idea of them producing a new stone when they max lvl was kind of cool but when it came to the summons it was pointless. You could have a lvl 5 Ifrit or Shiva and it still would only do a fraction of the dmg that lvl 1 Neo Bahamut could do
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
My real gripe though are ppl who playted for 5 hrs and were like 'fuck it'. I mean if you don't like it and don't want to play then that's fine but don't say it's horrible (and that's not directed at Darth or Jolaar). It's like ppl who see the first half of a movie and say its a bad movie even though they never saw the end. Sure you can not like it but don't judge it until you've finished it
I agree with you there. I'm like that with everything. If you think about it, FFXIII is at least a 40 hour commitment (if you do no side quests, and that's being modest). Quitting after 5 hours is only one-eighth of the way through. That's like judging a 3 hour movie after 20 minutes. Imagine watching 20 minutes of Fellowship of the Ring and deciding it sucks. Makes no sense to me.

But I stuck with XIII to the end, although it wasn't a very efficient play (the part with Sazh and Vanille forced me to stop for days at a time because I just didn't have the patience to proceed).

I know I said (and will always believe) that the most important thing about video games is that they're fun, but relative to this thread, another VERY important aspect is whether or not I have any desire to see a continuation of the story. Do I care enough about these characters to want to use them more? Was the world engaging enough that I want to revisit it (like, say, Rapture in Bioshock)? I don't know yet.

That said, given the FF fan that I am, I'm probably buying this the day it comes out. And I might hate myself for it a week later. I'm a sap.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-03-2011, 01:07 PM
E3 Teaser vid on Gamespot

Doesn't really give anything away, much like most teasers i guess.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
That said, given the FF fan that I am, I'm probably buying this the day it comes out. And I might hate myself for it a week later. I'm a sap.
Same here. I've been playing this series for the past 21 years. It's gonna take a lot more than a couple bad titles for me to completely stop trying the new ones.

Also, like most FF fans, I tend to whine a lot more than the games actually deserve. The fact is any game played in your childhood is going to be a lot better through rose colored glasses than anything new. If FFXIII was a stand-alone RPG I probably would have loved it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Full Trailer from E3

Quite a few things revealed in this trailer, especially right at the end. Should be interesting to see where they are going with this story.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 AM
From the IGN Preview:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212845p1.html


Quote:
Final Fantasy XIII-2 revolves almost entirely around jumping through time and space in order to find Lightning. More surprising: the amount of control you have over the time travel itself.
Quote:
Final Fantasy XIII-2 has more to explore, and environments don't funnel players down one straight path. It felt as if I explored more in the first 15 minutes of Final Fantasy XIII-2 than I did in the first 5 hours of the original.
Quote:
Those of you that lamented the "20-hour-hallway" of the original have less to fear.
Quote:
Throughout the story, you'll have the option to select one of four actions during a dialogue or event. While not as robust a system as the conversation trees found in Mass Effect or Fallout, this gives you a few more ways to control the direction of the experience and encourages multiple play-throughs.
Quote:
In Final Fantasy XIII-2, you freely level Serah and Noel in any of the six roles (Commando, Ravager, Sentinel, Saboteur, Synergist, and Medic). More importantly, each character's Crystarium looks more like a circle than a web. Spending Crystarium Points sends a pulse of light around the circle, leveling up each individual role. With each completed circle, you select a special bonus, like enhancing the role or increasing the character's action (ATB) gauge.
Quote:
The basics of battle in Final Fantasy XIII-2 remain largely unchanged, but several key differences exist that refresh the system. The most dramatic change: the introduction of monster allies. Defeat a monster in combat and you might recruit it into your party. It can then benefit from training and leveling just like any other lovable RPG hero.
Quote:
It seems that the developers at Square Enix took consumer feedback seriously when designing this sequel.


I wasn't planning on purchasing this one on release day, but damnit it sounds like it's going to be a much better game that fixed most of what was wrong with the first one.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Quote:
more ways to control the direction of the experience and encourages multiple play-throughs.
Honestly this is something that well...... every FF game has been lacking. There is never a reason to replay aside from if you really enjoy the game. The only FF's i've played through more then once are FFI and FFVIII. FFI because there have just been so many different releases of it (i actually had a mobile phone version!) and FFVIII cause it's my fav. That isn't to say that VI, VII, IX and the rest aren't good games, i just have no desire to play them again.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Honestly this is something that well...... every FF game has been lacking. There is never a reason to replay aside from if you really enjoy the game. The only FF's i've played through more then once are FFI and FFVIII. FFI because there have just been so many different releases of it (i actually had a mobile phone version!) and FFVIII cause it's my fav. That isn't to say that VI, VII, IX and the rest aren't good games, i just have no desire to play them again.
FFX-2 had some replay value due to different storyline choices. If you made the wrong choices along the way you couldn't reach 100%. Maybe it's a sequel thing?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I... won't... be... suckered... into....

dammit. I thought XIII was awful, and I'm still gonna end up buying this near its launch. I already hate myself for it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I... won't... be... suckered... into....

dammit. I thought XIII was awful, and I'm still gonna end up buying this near its launch. I already hate myself for it.
Hahahaha. Sad... but true for me as well.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 AM
This almost, ALMOST makes me wanna buy a PS3 again. I had one in 2010 when FF 13 came out (or was it the end of 2009 it was released?) - Anyway, I really enjoyed Final Fantasy 13, until it started getting really fucking hard.

I'm not much of a gamer, to be honest. But I've always loved the Final Fantasy series.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
This almost, ALMOST makes me wanna buy a PS3 again. I had one in 2010 when FF 13 came out (or was it the end of 2009 it was released?) - Anyway, I really enjoyed Final Fantasy 13, until it started getting really fucking hard.

I'm not much of a gamer, to be honest. But I've always loved the Final Fantasy series.
where abouts did it get hard for you?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 AM
It's 45 dollars for pre order at Toys R Us online with free shipping. FYI. Probably won't get any cheaper than that. May come in a day or two late though, not sure how good they are with shipping for release dates.

Also I've read there is going to be a 100% completion, similar to how FFX-2 had.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
where abouts did it get hard for you?
I don't recall, to be honest. It's been like over a year+ since I've played it. I remember the first several hours of the game being more like a CGI movie.... Then you start to kind of find your own way, which is cool... Then it started getting hard for me. But again, I'm not much of a gamer. My brother is, and he got all the way to the end, but I don't think was able to beat the game. Or maybe he was, I can't remember.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
I don't recall, to be honest. It's been like over a year+ since I've played it. I remember the first several hours of the game being more like a CGI movie.... Then you start to kind of find your own way, which is cool... Then it started getting hard for me. But again, I'm not much of a gamer. My brother is, and he got all the way to the end, but I don't think was able to beat the game. Or maybe he was, I can't remember.
After about 7 or 8 hrs sounds about right, at that point you are forced into group set ups that sort of work against the games battle mechanics for a time. If i recall the parts with Saz and Vanielle were pretty tough cause they were both Reavers and you really need a Commando to run the meter making hte fights take forever in that part.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
After about 7 or 8 hrs sounds about right, at that point you are forced into group set ups that sort of work against the games battle mechanics for a time. If i recall the parts with Saz and Vanielle were pretty tough cause they were both Reavers and you really need a Commando to run the meter making hte fights take forever in that part.
Yeah, a few hours... Probably right around where you're talking about. We'll go with that.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Man when I was in high school I was just obsessed with Final Fantasy 6,7,8,9,10. I sunk so many hours into all of them, doing all the sidequests, etc etc. I played and still play, part 7 so many times from start to finish I know everything about it. I bought 13 on release, and I was really getting into it when......it crashed my system. I was about 20 or more hours in when suddenly it crashed and gave me the yellow light of death. Since then I haven't gone back to it. I am tempted every so often to grab it at a local play and trade for like 20 bucks, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Like others it's very tempting for me to pick this up, but I will resist the urge!

Besides, I still have so many hours to sink into Skyrim. I have yet to open Uncharted 3, or the Metal Gear HD collection.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 AM
So just to clarify this since a lot of people around the internet are upset about it:

Despite Lightning's heavy presence in the advertising, you will never get to play her character, or any other character from the previous one. In fact, some people are even upset that the cameos of previous characters are TOO short. The only playable characters are Serah, and her strange new male companion, and then playable monsters that join your party.

Sounds like it's less of a sequel, than it is a spin off type game.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
So just to clarify this since a lot of people around the internet are upset about it:

Despite Lightning's heavy presence in the advertising, you will never get to play her character, or any other character from the previous one. In fact, some people are even upset that the cameos of previous characters are TOO short. The only playable characters are Serah, and her strange new male companion, and then playable monsters that join your party.

Sounds like it's less of a sequel, than it is a spin off type game.
Wow, that actually does kind of suck.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Wow, that actually does kind of suck.
For some characters definitely. You spend the entire game searching for Lightning, traveling through time to do so, that's basically the "non spoiler" plot of the game. According to the synopsis I've read, Fang has been MIA for years and nobody knows where she is, but I'd assume she will pop up somewhere.

But for characters like Vanille and Hope... I wouldn't even blink if they weren't in the game at all.


On another note, I did just realize the other day that Kingdom of Amalur is coming out on Feb 7th, which means I may actually be holding off on FF for a while. Not sure which one I want to play first.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
For some characters definitely. You spend the entire game searching for Lightning, traveling through time to do so, that's basically the "non spoiler" plot of the game. According to the synopsis I've read, Fang has been MIA for years and nobody knows where she is, but I'd assume she will pop up somewhere.

But for characters like Vanille and Hope... I wouldn't even blink if they weren't in the game at all.


On another note, I did just realize the other day that Kingdom of Amalur is coming out on Feb 7th, which means I may actually be holding off on FF for a while. Not sure which one I want to play first.
Well for those who didn't finsh XIII

Spoiler:
Vanille and Fang become crystal again, so im not sure if we'll end up seeing them. but with time travel ya never know
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Well for those who didn't finsh XIII

Spoiler:
Vanille and Fang become crystal again, so im not sure if we'll end up seeing them. but with time travel ya never know
Two words my friend... Time. Travel.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 PM
So i downloaded the demo on the weekend and tried it out. A few things.

First the using of monsters in battle. Essentially you get a monster whenever you defeat it for the first time in battle. Every monster falls into one of the 6 combat systems (commando, Ravager, etc). The way it works is that you have 3 slots to equip monsters, as you shift your paradigms one of the 3 monsters acts as the 3rd member of your group.

So for example i found a Commando, Ravager and Medic monsters. I equipped all 3 then it took me to my Paradigm page. So you have the 2 main characters (Serra and the other guy) and then a monster. Say they are both Commandos for simplicity sake. You can now have a paradigm of Com/Com/Com, Com/Com/Rav or Com/Com/Med depending on which monster you bring out. So the Paradigm page will look just like it did in XIII but the third character will be a monster and as far as i can tell a monster can only fill a single roll (Com or Rav but not both like characters can).

The monsters seem to gain lvls as well and have generally the same stats as characters an seem to be just there to add a bit of decision making (there are 6 classes but only 3 slots) which will make the fights much harder then in XIII. Each monster type also has a unique special attack they can use once you fill some meter. I can't recall how it fills exactly but i do know that each monster has their own so you can have 3 fully charged abilities at one time and just have to switch out the next monster to use a fresh one.

Second there seems to be some sort of choice system in the game though to what extent it effects things i don't know. The example i got was i could either choose to fight a big monster head on or do something else to weaken it first. There were 4 choices and i didn't get a good look at them but i decided to head at the monster i think. Either way it seemed like regardless of the choice i could still go doe the other things i think. Like selecting to fight the monster didn't automatically put me in battle or anything.

Lastly the game ran well. It is just a demo but one of the things i always worry about is a fight scene getting too busy for the systems processor and things starting to lag. I didn't notice any lag at all.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
On another note, I did just realize the other day that Kingdom of Amalur is coming out on Feb 7th, which means I may actually be holding off on FF for a while. Not sure which one I want to play first.
It should be an easy decision. Amalur looks better, and combined with XIII being underwhelming, seems like a no brainer.

But something about that freakin "Final Fantasy" in the title. I can't be logical about it.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 PM
As let down as I was over XIII, I will have to hear TONS of good feedback before I consider this one.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM
I've been thinking about picking up FFXIII on sale lately because it's dropped as low as $9.99, but I'm having second thoughts after hearing how disappointed everybody was with the game.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Well $10 isn't too bad. I rented it for 7 days for $6. I could have just bought it and traded it in had I known that it was that cheap. I might have put more time into it and maybe, just maybe it might have picked up but I was a handful of hours in and snoozing the entire time.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm wondering about this one as well, and i actually really liked XIII. The demo was underwhelming though i only played it one time.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I've been thinking about picking up FFXIII on sale lately because it's dropped as low as $9.99, but I'm having second thoughts after hearing how disappointed everybody was with the game.
10 dollars is well worth it in my opinion. 60 dollars for it, however, was not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump