Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 AM
X-Men: First Class

X-Men: First Class

Directed by Matthew Vaughn
Written by Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman, and Matthew Vaughn
Story by Bryan Singer and Sheldon Turner

Starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, January Jones, Kevin Bacon, Rose Byrne, Nicholas Hoult, and Oliver Platt

Rated PG-13 for for intense sequences of action and violence, some sexual content including brief partial nudity and language.

Running Time of 132 Minutes

Synopsis: Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto's Brotherhood and Professor X's X-MEN.

I adore X2 like few other comic book films, and the more I hear about this the more excited I am. Early word is terrific. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are both incredible actors and truly inspired casting for their roles. I can't wait.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Looks great. This was always one of the movies I was looking forward to most this summer. Can't wait.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 AM
I have a feeling this will be the best of all the comic book movies coming out this year.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 AM
I hope it tanks faster than the Titanic! And no, I'm not joking.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:54 AM
I never really cared for the first four X-Men movies to begin with. That's why I've been iffy about this one.

That said I do like Matthew Vaughn, and it is nice to see a Marvel movie that isn't a tie in to The Avengers.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
I hope it tanks faster than the Titanic! And no, I'm not joking.
Me too. The movie that is. Not the boat.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I loved the first three X-Men flicks, and Origins: Wolverine. I just feel this is a waste to try & re-boot the series.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 AM

Can't wait!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Yeah, I loved the first three X-Men flicks, and Origins: Wolverine. I just feel this is a waste to try & re-boot the series.
It's not a re-boot. It's a prequel that exists within the same universe of the original films, hence the involvement of Bryan Singer.

Instead of it being a waste, I feel like it's a fresh and unique take that will give us more insight into the characters we have grown to love. It's smart blockbuster movie making. Not just another sequel.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I have a feeling this will be the best of all the comic book movies coming out this year.
Agreed. I'm all over this shit opening day.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
This is where I stopped reading.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I've been extremely skeptical of this project since the beginning. The marketing was terrible and made me fear that Fox had screwed up again. The reviews, however, are very promising; so I am keeping an open mind. I really want another good X-Men flick. Outside of Magneto and Charles, I don't really care about the mutants they chose to use, but like I said... open mind. I hope the reviews stay consistent.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM
This is going to be the best movie of the summer and one of the best of the year.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM
I would love to see a Daniel Craig/Matthew Vaughn reunion in a Bond sequel in a few years....
Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff07 View Post
I would love to see a Daniel Craig/Matthew Vaughn reunion in a Bond sequel in a few years....
I'd like to see Michael Fassbender play Bond under Vaughn's direction once Craig hangs up his hat.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 AM
The reviews have been raves and recent promotional material has been impressive. I'm there opening weekend.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 AM
When I first heard about this one I was not excited about it because X Men 3 and Wolverine sucked so bad. I thought they were just milking a dead franchise. I was just going to wait till it hit Netflix instant watch. Which I should've been excited about it because I do like the whole cast especially James Mcavoy, Michael Fassbender, and January Jones but I just could not get excited for it until the first trailer popped up and my excitement started to raise. And then with the stuff they've been showing over the past month I am really excited about it now and I'll be there opening weekend.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 PM
This is the first summer blockbuster that I am truly itching to see. The relationship between Prof X and Magneto is fascinating to begin with and to see it in the hands of such talented actors and a great, interesting director should pave way for something truly great (and judging from early reviews, we may be in for just that).

This coming weekend will be awesome for me in terms of movie-watching. First I'll have a blast with this, and then I'll go to the nearest art-house theater to be blown away by The Tree of Life. Can't fucking wait.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Matthew Vaughn interview up at Super Hero Hype:

Vaughn talks x-men

Pretty cool, and an interview that confirms what my biggest fear for this movie is: the short production schedule. Vaughn essentially said they had eleven months, as dictated by Fox, to get this done. Also interesting is the compliment he paid to Tom Rothman and Fox. Of course he has to say that before this film comes out. I'll be interested to see whether he signs for a sequel, if one is made (the last two x-men movies sucking could hurt this one's box). Looks like, based on the early reviews (19/19 on rottentomatoes) that Vaughn overcame it all to make a great movie.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Hollywood Reporter gives it a positive review

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...s-movie-192965
Old 05-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Seeing this tomorrow night, pretty damn excited.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 PM
I'll be there for opening day. I've had a good feeling about this flick, and the positive word of mouth seem to confirm it hopefully.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Still 100% after 21 reviews and one critic calling it not only the best X Men film, but best Marvel film yet. Better than X2 and Spiderman 2? That's saying ALOT.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 PM
What sort of alternate dimension did I enter that super hero films and the 5th Fast and the Furious sequel are the highest critically rated movies of the summer?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
What sort of alternate dimension did I enter that super hero films and the 5th Fast and the Furious sequel are the highest critically rated movies of the summer?
I can't speak for the fifth fast and furious sequel, but, for the others, I'd say you entered some kind of mirror universe. Or maybe, Bizarro World. Keep and open mind, and look out for the guys with the little beards, that's how you know whose evil. (disclaimer: unless you're watching an episode of Futurama, where the evil mirror universe is our universe, and the "good" guys wear beards. Like Flexo, he was a good guy, with a beard, and his mirror universe counterpart, Bender, stole stuff because it was valuable.)
Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
It's called Hollywood
Old 05-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
I can't speak for the fifth fast and furious sequel, but, for the others, I'd say you entered some kind of mirror universe. Or maybe, Bizarro World. Keep and open mind, and look out for the guys with the little beards, that's how you know whose evil. (disclaimer: unless you're watching an episode of Futurama, where the evil mirror universe is our universe, and the "good" guys wear beards. Like Flexo, he was a good guy, with a beard, and his mirror universe counterpart, Bender, stole stuff because it was valuable.)
I have to be that guy, don't I? Flexo was just another bending robot. Bender's mirror universe counterpart was just like him, only gold, as the only differences in the mirror universe were that coin flip results were reversed, thus Bender in Universe A choosing to be painted "silver" (I'd say gray, but whatever) and Bender in Universe 1 choosing to be painted gold.
You're our comic book knowledge deity, I'm the Futurama one.
Now, if we're talking about Cartman on South Park, yeah, the bearded one is clearly the good guy. He's not as much fun, though.

Still leary of First Class, even with all the good will coming towards. I want it to be good. I LOVE the X-Men. I just don't know if I can believe in it being good.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 PM
It's funny. Normally when a movie has a rotten tomatoes score of 100% for awhile, it makes me rethink it.... the one for First Class just makes me say, "Jeez. That's a lot of bribes."
Old 05-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight81 View Post
Still 100% after 21 reviews and one critic calling it not only the best X Men film, but best Marvel film yet. Better than X2 and Spiderman 2? That's saying ALOT.
That's saying a ton. Especially since it's Fox. To go against Gilpesh above, there's not enough bribe money in the world to smooth over some of the Fox rough edges. Fox generally has ticked off critics over the years for various reasons. Usually there are agendas at play when critics gage a Fox film. If First Class is avoiding that stuff, it must indeed be special.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden_208 View Post
I have to be that guy, don't I? Flexo was just another bending robot. Bender's mirror universe counterpart was just like him, only gold, as the only differences in the mirror universe were that coin flip results were reversed, thus Bender in Universe A choosing to be painted "silver" (I'd say gray, but whatever) and Bender in Universe 1 choosing to be painted gold.
You're our comic book knowledge deity, I'm the Futurama one.
Now, if we're talking about Cartman on South Park, yeah, the bearded one is clearly the good guy. He's not as much fun, though.
I actually meant this guy:

who did go by the name Flexo, and not this guy:

Whose given name, I believe, was "Bender A" (that's Bender-1, or our Bender, on the left)

BTW, which episode of South Park was that with the "good" Eric Cartman? I seem to vaguely recall that I saw that episode once, but I can't recall anything about it.

Last edited by soda; 05-30-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
BTW, which episode of South Park was that with the "good" Eric Cartman? I seem to vaguely recall that I saw that episode once, but I can't recall anything about it.
I believe it was the halloween episode in season 2 when some one gets a freaky fish.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Maybe fox made the movie look like shit so people lower their expectations then go see it and get blown away by it. I actually had a good reaction to the trailers and I have high hopes for it.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 PM
I know I'm alone, but my favorite marvel comic book adaptation is Daredevil. Which is one of my favorite comic book movies period. Ang Lee's Hulk is a close second though.

If this movie is on their level then I'm this will be truly awesome!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Joblo Praises it - 9/10
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/revi...en-first-class
Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM

I just purchased the X Men: The Last Stand Blu Ray at Best Buy yesterday that included a free ticket to see this for only $8
Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff07 View Post
I just purchased the X Men: The Last Stand Blu Ray at Best Buy yesterday that included a free ticket to see this for only $8
You should have just bought a child's ticket from one of the movie ticket machines to save yourself the trouble of buying the abomination of Last Stand.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 PM
I guess they did it right this time.........and no "sort of" quote! Very interested to watch X-men First Class when it arrives in theaters. Oops i forgot the movie arrives next week where i am from. Damn!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 PM
This will be great. Also will be my first summer movie
Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
You should have just bought a child's ticket from one of the movie ticket machines to save yourself the trouble of buying the abomination of Last Stand.
Hey I agree that it was no where near the quality of X1 or X2 but I thought it looked like a masterpiece compared to X Men Origins: Wolverine. Had to complete the collection though...
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Just got back, absolutely loved it. Everything the reviews promised and more.

9/10