Old 03-04-2001, 11:34 PM
2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey1/2*[1/2 Star]-This movie had a very interesting beginning to it which showed the story about the dawn of man, then once the movie jumps into the future it falls into complete shit. By the time the movie reached 30 minutes I just turned it off and that included fast fowarding to see if anything interesting was going happen but couldnt find nothing in this complete bore-fest. Stay the hell away from this movie and give ''2010'' a try which I have not even seen yet but will soon.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:41 PM
Why are you telling us to give "2010" a try if you haven't even seen it yet??? By the way, I completely DISAGREE with your opinion on "2001".
Old 03-05-2001, 06:01 AM
2001 is an excellent film. Sure it doesnt have much dialogue but who needs dialogue when the music and visions speek for themselves? Kubirck is a visionary and this film got me into thinking a hell of a lot.
It is in my top ten list.
As for 2010 havent seen it yet and quite frankly do not want to but might soon. And loner is right:
Why suggest a movie over another if u havent seen it?????
Old 03-07-2001, 10:31 PM
Different strokes for different folks.I loved 2001,but then again I love sci-fi and I love Artur C Clarke.Im glad we are all different and have opinions.If everyone had liked the movie it would have made 500 billion dollars.But it didnt.I still love it anyway.
Old 03-13-2001, 01:12 PM
You have a lot of nerve giving it such a low rating. [img]/ubb/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2001, 05:25 PM
This film is long, boring, inaccessible, over the top, to psychadelic for words and just generally, well, crap.

[This message has been edited by ak (edited 03-13-2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 06:11 PM
I agree with ak. These director lovers should try to look at the film from an objective view to see what crap this movie really is. As for Kubricks other work, full metal jacket, and the shinning were great. A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut were crap.
Old 03-19-2001, 04:00 PM
To The Professional: What the hell are you talkin' about? A Clockwork Orange and 2001 were to amazing for words... I was speechless after I saw these films! The Shining and Full Metal Jacket were not his best... but still amazing.

I can't comment on Eyes Wide Shut coz I haven't seen it!
Old 03-19-2001, 10:09 PM
I recently saw this movie again and I loved it even more than I did the first time. Even though it's slow paced, this movie never bored me for one moment. All through it's running length it had my full attention.The special effects are amazing, even by today's standards. All of the scenes is space are awesome and accompanied with some of the best music ever written. The cinematography is excellent, some of Kubrick's best work. The story is a great one and it's very well told by Kubrick. The performances, although not the best thing about this movie are also top-notch. But it is Kubrick's direction that elevates this movie from a simple sci-fi classic to an extraordinary masterpiece. It's his vision that made this film so great, just as it was in his other masterpiece, A Clockwork Orange.

ak and The Professional, I'm sorry that you can't appreciate a great film like this.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:54 PM
Kubrick is rolling in his grave as we speak.....
Old 03-20-2001, 03:48 PM
Yes A Space Odyssey 2001 was a "good" movie and ultimately a Vision by Kubrick, AN LSD ENHANCED VISION. Lets face it this guy was two hits shy of Timothy Leary. He too had a colorful and imaginative Visions. Bottomline Space Odyssey and Clockwork work were 1. ahead of their time & 2. Very, very imaginative, regardless if you liked them or not. As for Eyes Wide Shut...(as if Jason Lee were saying it himself) OH MY GOD WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP! I think Roman Polanski and Kubrick shared the same needle because all there works have one thing eerily in common: ALL THEIR FILMS WALK THE VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN GENIUS MASTERPIECEs AND FU**IN PIECES OF CRAP!
Case in point Roman Polanski's "The Ninth Gate" I saw it in theatres and the first hour and ten minutes is fu**in awesome and intriguing, Depp was masterful. But even Mr.TwentyOneJumpStreet himself could not save the WORST ending (next to Lost Highway)
I have EVER EVER seen. For those who saw the movie they know what I mean. That last scene when the Blonde is riding Depp and the castle is burning in the background , at that point half the theater started getting up and asking for there money back.

[This message has been edited by Bud_Fox (edited 03-20-2001).]
Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 PM
I saw the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" years ago, when it first came out, and saw again years later. It's a good movie, and the last time I'd seen it was at a local independent theatre, and enjoyed it, but I'd forgotten how freaky it really was.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:23 AM
Wow at the negative posts.