Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm just curious

How come introduction posts aren't allowed?

I know some people in here have posted pictures of themselves, and refer to others by their names, so how is an introduction post any different?

I mean it's cool, I'll play by the rules, but I think it'd be nice to get to know each other better too.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm thinking its so there aren't dozens of threads filled with stuff like:

"Greetings, Motherfuckers! I'm RicochetShaw and I'm here to say HUZZAH and HELLO to all of you! I'm 27 years old, from Hot-lanta, and I never wear pants. I got my nickname when I was in middle school and I got SUPER pissed at my gym teacher, threw a basketball at him, and it ricocheted into the hoop (my first name is Shawshank). Hope to get to know all of you! Facebook me now, mm'nerds!"

That would just get silly. Apologies to the real Rick Shaw.

With the open forum we have threads about facebook and where-do-you-really-live, and it allows people to share and consume this information without compromising a whole thread. In other words, it allows for the personal stuff to stay in organized places rather than compromise the boards.

Those reasons are my guess. Now that the Misc forum exists, seems like our system now is pretty solid. Announcements of comings-and-goings seem to function the same way -- while I suppose it's technically still against the rules to tell people you're singing off for a while, if that's done in a specific thread for stuff like that rather than making a whole topic about it, I think people are cool with that.

That's just my feelings.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Yeah, I always felt like there should be intro threads allowed. But I get why they're not allowed as well.

At this point, I've been here (off and on) for so long, an intro thread would be pointless for me (as it would for many other regulars here), but I can understand why the n00bs would like one.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM
I agree with AceD. They are pointless in these forums. Not to mention most of the people who make introductions never come back. It also opens the door for spam etc.

Quote:
Yeah, I always felt like there should be intro threads allowed.
My suggestion is to use Movie Fan Central for introducing yourself.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:44 PM
I am so glad intro threads are not allowed. It's like human spam.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I agree with AceD. They are pointless in these forums. Not to mention most of the people who make introductions never come back. It also opens the door for spam etc.

My suggestion is to use Movie Fan Central for introducing yourself.
Yep, what makes this forum nice is it has a central place to share info.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Yes it would be nice to have introduction thread so members could show us who they are ans.
But if some new members use it to be rude well l could understand why it wouldnt be aloud here
Anyway eventually you do get to know members by just posting around
Old 06-30-2011, 04:52 PM
I wanna get to know yoooouuu.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
I'm thinking its so there aren't dozens of threads filled with stuff like:

"Greetings, Motherfuckers! I'm RicochetShaw and I'm here to say HUZZAH and HELLO to all of you! I'm 27 years old, from Hot-lanta, and I never wear pants. I got my nickname when I was in middle school and I got SUPER pissed at my gym teacher, threw a basketball at him, and it ricocheted into the hoop (my first name is Shawshank). Hope to get to know all of you! Facebook me now, mm'nerds!"

That would just get silly. Apologies to the real Rick Shaw.

Yeah man, that's pretty low to dredge up one of Ric's first posts. He's matured so much since then.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:16 PM
^I hear he even wears pants sometimes.