Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Book recomendations

Yo, can you help a fellow schmoe out?

Just read a long series of books on my 'to-read' list by people who have said - YOU MUST READ THIS!! and so I have. I've enjoyed them all.

The major good ones were:

-Survivor - Chuck Palaniuk
-The Subject Steve - Sam Lipsite
-Norwegian Wood - Harakuri Murakami (sp?)

Based on those books could you give me some direction of what to read next - I'm going to read American Psycho next to see what that's like coz between me and you - I've never seen the film..

If you could give me any more cool authors or titles of other material I should read please do so. You'll be helping me out loads and make me look much less of a fool the next time I go to Borders.

Cheers!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Hmm...if you liked Survivor, then I would recommend Choke and Fight Club. They, along with Survivor are the best of what Chuck Palahniuk's work.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:43 PM
If you liked the movie American Psycho, you'll probably like the book. I find the meticulous and almost obsessive attention to detail is transferred quite well.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:00 PM
The Rachel Papers - Martin Amis

It's a little bit superfluous and silly, but at its heart it really represents one of the final, clear cut stages of "growing up", and that's reaching sexual maturity beyond just knowing how to do it. It's one of the wittiest, most dead-on "novels" I've come across.

The Beach - Alex Garland

Don't trust the people who say the movie sucked, because the book is grand and is highly regarded by those who have read it. Also very "generation defining" in its brilliance.

Lolita - Vladmir Nabokov

A more recognizable classic. If you can tolerate Palahniuk, you can stomach this.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Read the entire Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brain. Should be a great year's worth of reading.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon

Best book I've ever read.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:41 AM
If you're in for a good Stephen King book, check out "The Talisman" by King and Peter Straub. Fucking great book.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UseYourIllusion
If you're in for a good Stephen King book
Then read everything he's written
Old 12-19-2006, 06:03 PM
If you like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, then you should read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett. And if you liked Catcher in the Rye you should read The Fuck-Up by Arthur Neressian(sp?) (for newer generations).
Old 12-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for those guys - alot of those sound really interesting.

Have you guys read the Sam Lipsite book I listed earlier - The Subject Steve? It's so fucked up but brilliant.

Anyways - anymore good recomondations? I'm always reading something...
Old 12-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton

*nods*
Old 12-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Started 'The Fuck Up' as spotted it in a sale. Thanks for the advice guys. Any more?
Old 02-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Just finished 'A Catcher In The Rye'.

I really enjoyed it. Any more recomendations?

What have you all being reading? What's good? What's shit?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 PM
BOY'S LIFE is both good AND shit.
It's so good, it's The SHIT!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HannibalGuy
Then read everything he's written
Too true.

The one book I can't recommend enough is The Long Walk . For the longest time I was searching for a Stephen King book I could cite as my "favorite." After I read that novel, I stopped looking.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Quote:

I'm intrigued by yours and KC's comments.

What's it about?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Out and About
Too true.

The one book I can't recommend enough is The Long Walk . For the longest time I was searching for a Stephen King book I could cite as my "favorite." After I read that novel, I stopped looking.
I'm a big King fan, and I can't for the life of me get into the gunslinger series at all.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Recently finished "Erasure" by Percival Everett.

Strangest structured book I've ever read.

Any other recommendations?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 AM
American Gods and Neverware. Both By Neil Gaiman.
The LA Quartet (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential and White Jazz) - James Ellroy
If you want something fantasy fictiony go for His Dark Materials by Pullman.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Quote:

I can't find this book anywhere?!

Any ideas where I can pick it up.

I live in England.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bedhead_dl
I can't find this book anywhere?!

Any ideas where I can pick it up.

I live in England.

Right here bro.

http://www.biblio.com/search.php?aut...Boy's+Life

Last edited by Scorpio24; 05-30-2007 at 08:45 AM..
Old 05-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio24
I'm intrigued by yours and KC's comments.

What's it about?

It's hard to actually say what the book is about as it's so epic and so episodic, but it is essentially about a boy growing up in a small Souther town during the 50s I believe.

As far as what happens this is the only way I can describe it. Imagine a mystery novel crossed with Fried Green Tomatoes. Then imagine that novel was written by Bradbury and Stephen King and you have somewhat of an idea.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Quote:
It's hard to actually say what the book is about as it's so epic and so episodic, but it is essentially about a boy growing up in a small Souther town during the 50s I believe.

As far as what happens this is the only way I can describe it. Imagine a mystery novel crossed with Fried Green Tomatoes. Then imagine that novel was written by Bradbury and Stephen King and you have somewhat of an idea.

Yeah I took a look on Amazon for the reviews. They were the same as yours. Hard to explain but epic.

I bought it a little while back now after reading this thread but as per usual I haven't got to it because I haven't got through the mass of books I buy because of this damn forum.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Woah!!

Just went travelling across Europe and took 'Boys Life' with me.

That book is awesome! Really one of the best books I've read and I'm not American and I didn't grow up in a small town. It just kind of defines being 12 all over again.

Thanks for the tip folks - really worthwhile read. I felt like I'd lost a close friend when I'd finished it.

Any more recomendations? Anything like Boys Life?

Reading Haunted by Chuck Palanuik at the moment. Hilarious.

Oh - read Slick by Daniel Price. Re-read that recently and still as impressive as ever. Funny as hell.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
If you like Chuck Palanuik, try his Invisible Monster. Might not be his best, but I found it entertaining.

American Psycho by Ellis is great.... Made me shudder (and no, not in same way Batemen does) at one scene. Think my mind was working overtime on it.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bedhead_dl
Woah!!

Just went travelling across Europe and took 'Boys Life' with me.

That book is awesome! Really one of the best books I've read and I'm not American and I didn't grow up in a small town. It just kind of defines being 12 all over again.

Thanks for the tip folks - really worthwhile read. I felt like I'd lost a close friend when I'd finished it.
Very glad you read it. Also very glad you loved it. I was pretty sure you would, since just about anyone who reads it will probably love it.

Can't think of any recommendations which compare to BOY'S LIFE.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Kind of on the same note as this topic - does anyone know any websites that have reviews and ratings of books for free?

Similar to allmusic but... books?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Robert Heinlein-I Will Fear No Evil
Philip K. Dick-A Scanner Darkly
Dean Koontz-The Taking
Bret Easton Ellis-Lunar Park
Old 10-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourahioro View Post
I'm a big King fan, and I can't for the life of me get into the gunslinger series at all.

Me either. I have NO CLUE why. Im guess I probably should not have read the introduction.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Donald Moffitt - The Jupiter Theft
Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Stranger in a Strange Land(Robert Heinlein)
Dune(Frank Herbert)*
The Gunslinger(Stephen King)*
A Game of Thrones(George RR Martin)*
Eye of the World(Robert Jordan-R.I.P)*
Gardens of the Moon(Stephen Erikson)*
The Darkness that Comes Before(R. Scott Bakker)*
Ishmael(Daniel Quinn)
Wraeththu(Storm Constantin)
Anything by Tom Robbins

*--First book in an amazing series.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:45 AM
If we're talking fiction, the last three books I've read are definitely recommendable (is that even a word?). Neuromancer, by William Gibson, is regarded by many as the greatest piece of cyberpunk ever, and both Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter, both by Jeff Lindsey, are obviously where the Showtime show comes from, but they're sooooo different in a much better way.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Monster Island by David Wellington
You Suck by Christopher Moore
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Blaze by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)
Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 PM
The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson
Rant by Chuck Palahniuk
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

and check this out if you're in for a short read

A Good Man Is Hard To Find by Flannery O'Connor
Old 06-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Does anybody have any further recommendations. I am finding myself stuck again searching for a new author to get into.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm a big Bret Easton Ellis fan, and personally my favorite is Glamorama. Think of it as one part American Psycho, one part Zoolander, and one part Hitchcock. It's very underrated and to me, ranks in his top 2. I also really enjoyed Lunar Park.

One of my favorite books that I've recently read was Under the Dome by Stephen King. Don't be afraid of the length, this story FLYS by, and just begs to be made into an HBO miniseries. You will not be able to put this baby down! What would you do if your small town was suddenly trapped within in inpenetrable, invisible, dome?

How about some mind craziness? House of Leaves, just try and read that baby. God it makes my head hurt just thinking about the summer I spent with that thing!

In the mood for shorter unrelated stories? Check out the Books of Blood Omnibus by Clive Barker! Really cool and imaginitive short stories. If you aren't a fan of the Hellraiser films or Candyman, etc associated with Clive's name, don't shy away! These stories are very well written and very imaginitive. The short length also helps!

How about some straight up goofy fun? Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was a great read for me! Catch it before the movie spoils all the fun of it! It's not as pretentious as you think it would be, it's great!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:52 AM
You should try Inherent Vice by Pynchon. It is his most accessible work, and if you like it you could check out his other stuff.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedhead_dl View Post
-Norwegian Wood - Harakuri Murakami (sp?)
If you liked this you should read Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Harkuri Murakami - it's his best book. Do it now!!!