Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Helmet Law Irony ????

Quote:
ONONDAGA, N.Y. A motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws went over his handlebars, hit his head on the pavement and was killed, police said Sunday

The motorcyclist, 55-year-old Philip A. Contos, likely would have survived the accident if he'd been wearing a helmet, state troopers said.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in Onondaga, a town in central New York near Syracuse.

Contos was driving a 1983 Harley-Davidson on a helmet protest ride organized by the Onondaga chapter of American Bikers Aimed Towards Education, or ABATE, troopers said. The organization states that it encourages the voluntary use of helmets but opposes mandatory helmet laws.

Contos, of Parish, hit his brakes, and his motorcycle fishtailed and went out of control, flipping him over the handlebars, police said. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

New York is one of 20 states that require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets. Lobbying by motorcyclist groups has led some states to repeal helmet laws.

A helmet that meets federal standards reduces the wearer's chances of being killed in an accident by more than 40 percent, said safety consultant Jim Hedlund, of the Governors Highway Safety Association
What is so bad about having to wear a helmet? Really?
Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I wear my helmet each and every single day. It's not an option
Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I don't understand why people would not want to wear it.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 PM
This is the helmet I wear everyday.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I have no complaints about wearing a helmet when riding. I've had minor injuries when riding and they could have been a lot worse if the end result was a head injury.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
What is so bad about having to wear a helmet? Really?
Cuase then you're not cool man. It's like Hockey in the 70's and prior, helmets are for sissies

At first i thought this was going to be an article about cyclists not wearing helmets but was surprised that it was about motorcyclists. I agree that i can't fathom why you wouldn't want to wear a helmet on a motorbike, hell how about some sort of body armor as well?

I personally have never hurt myself in a way that would have been lessened if i were wearing a helemt, though i'm sure i've come close...... no broken bones yet either....... knock on wood.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Great way to avoid a citation, Phil!

Personally, I protect my head every time I go for a ride, although I don't think it should be against the law if I choose not to and if the only person in danger is me.

and of course when I say "head" I'm talking about my dick.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Whenever I see someone on a motorcycle and they're not wearing a helmet, I sortof hope they crash.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 AM
well if they crash they better crash like this dude.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:56 AM
But it's my right to look cool on a motorcycle while my skulls gets caved in!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:32 PM
The complaint I've heard is that it heavily affects your peripheral vision, the heat often results in hazards like sweat in your eyes, and other issues like fogging, reduced ability to hear, and so on. I worked with a guy who bitched about having to wear one quite often; he was in a pretty bad crash after a yellow jacket got stuck in his helmet and everything that followed. For the record, he's the least "think I'm cool" person I've ever met. He taught science at the local college and had a bumper sticker on his muffler that said "My other ride is a Bird-of-Prey"

I feel like it's up to the individual. A 40% reduction might seem like a lot, unless you look at the figure at how high your chances of a deadly crash increase by riding a motorcycle to begin with (which is why many people think people who choose to ride bikes are stupid)

I'm sure wearing a helmet while driving cars would help prevent deaths as well, so why not just do that too. Better yet, put them on your kids when they are playing outside. If the kid complains about not looking cool, just make fun of him and tell him how dumb he's being. Safety first!

I'd wear a helmet while riding, but I also keep my car doors locked. That doesn't mean I think people who get car jacked deserve it.

EDIT: Yeah, very ironic - no question there.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 07-04-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I've never rode a motorcycle, but I have done some stupid shit on my bike when I was younger. I would ride down steep hills without my hands on the handlebars and speed across on some ice. I've had some close calls.

This isn't related to the topic, but in the winter, I would also grab onto the back of a sled as someone was going downhill and let them drag me down with them. That was fun.

I did end up bumping my head into the back of the sled at one point though. Should have worn a helmet then.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Whenever I see someone on a motorcycle and they're not wearing a helmet, I sort of hope they crash.
A couple months ago we had a huge rainstorm where I live. Like 2 inches in an hour, it was ridiculous. Well, the wind was blowing like crazy too and a block north of me a tree came down and closed the entire 4 lane main street I live on. It was a mess. People were turning off on to side streets as soon as they could so they could take side roads and get around the mess, while police and firemen were directing what traffic they could while working on getting the tree cleared from the road.

So I'm standing in my front yard, under an umbrella, watching all of this up the street when I hear a car coming up the road very quickly. The speed limit is 35 and he was doing close to 60 by my estimate, and driving right at the tree/emergency workers like they weren't even there. As he was about a block away I realized that even if he started to slow down now, he was screwed, so I said "Oh, please wreck. Please wreck."

Sure enough, after he gets a little ways past my house, he realizes the road is blocked (duh) and slams on the brakes......but because of how wet the road was, and how it was STILL raining, his brakes lock up and he starts sliding like crazy, barely slowing down.

Well, up where the tree was, it turns out the tree fell on a car, thus trapping it. The people inside were ok, as they left the car, but the back end of the car was still sticking out from the tree, and there was a car parked behind the end of that car, because they hadn't been able to back up from the wreck yet to turn around and go another way. So here comes Captain Dipshit, doing double the speed limit, heading right at an accident, when his brakes lock up on the wet road.

He slams right into the back of that poor car, hard enough to send it flying forward into the car that is trapped by the tree, which goes nowhere because the tree is heavy and holding it down.

I started laughing, very loud, and some guy that lives across the street from me was outside watching too and he yells out "NO WAY! NO WAY THAT JUST HAPPENED!". Over my laughter, and his yelling, I hear cops and firefighters up the street just flat out lose it. One cop in particular said something along the lines of "GET OUT OF THE CAR NOW YOU STUPID SONOFABITCH, THAT WAS ONE OF THE DUMBEST FUCKING THINGS I HAVE EVER SEEN ANYONE DO, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?".

They helped him out of the car, led him to an Ambulance because even though he seemed ok, he obviously had some injuries after slamming into the back of a car at 50+mph (assuming he even slowed down when he started skidding) and as they led him to the ambulance I noticed he was in handcuffs, obviously going to jail after the hospital for being such a fucking idiot.

Now, I'm not saying I wished hurt upon him, even though I did say "please wreck please wreck" but, I kind of did, and thankfully, the dipshit did wreck, and found out what a stupid thing he was doing and what he had coming to him. I'm not celebrating this motorcyclists death in any way, but helmet laws exist for a reason, and if you're stupid enough to "protest" by riding without one, and then you eat shit and die, in such a way that if you had a helmet on and it would have saved you.....well then you kind of had it coming.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:34 AM
All laws exist for a reason.

What I find weird is that there are all of these innocent people around and you are hoping for the guy to lose control of his car as he's heading toward them. I was expecting your story to go somewhere tragic, and not end up with a slap on the back. And to be clear, there were people inside the car that he slammed into?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
All laws exist for a reason.

What I find weird is that there are all of these innocent people around and you are hoping for the guy to lose control of his car as he's heading toward them. I was expecting your story to go somewhere tragic, and not end up with a slap on the back. And to be clear, there were people inside the car that he slammed into?
In his defense, I imagine I would find myself amused at the scene.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Its stupid not to wear a helmet while riding a bike or wearing a seat belt in a vehicle. Its even more stupid to legislate or enforce seat belt/helmet laws. Everything about this story is stupid.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Its stupid not to wear a helmet while riding a bike or wearing a seat belt in a vehicle. Its even more stupid to legislate or enforce seat belt/helmet laws. Everything about this story is stupid.
Yeah well ... you're stupid!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Indeed.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homyrrh View Post
In his defense, I imagine I would find myself amused at the scene.

Hey, who among us doesn't enjoy World's Worst Car Crashes?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Whenever I see someone on a motorcycle and they're not wearing a helmet, I sortof hope they crash.
Really?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Really?
Sure, why not? He didn't say crash and die horribly, he just said crash. I feel the same way, i don't want the person to die or even get horribly injured but to just suffer enough that they change their mind about not wearing the helmet.

I mean we all feel "it won't happen to me" about so many things and its always bull shit. So if someone needs to suffer at bit to learn a lesson then i'm all for it. Most ppl don't learn unless its the "hard way" anyways.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson13 View Post
As he was about a block away I realized that even if he started to slow down now, he was screwed, so I said "Oh, please wreck. Please wreck."
This made me laugh out loud. No quote better epitomizes your persona around here. And I mean that with all affection and sincerity. For reals.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Old 07-08-2011, 05:06 AM
His hair is his helmet.

This should be the standard issued police helmet -

- http://www.boredpanda.com/cool-produ...ian-errazuriz/

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 07-08-2011 at 05:11 AM..
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
This made me laugh out loud. No quote better epitomizes your persona around here. And I mean that with all affection and sincerity. For reals.
My persona? There is no persona. I'm a hateful, bitter, anger spewing asshole. How are people just now getting this? I've been posting here for 11 years....
Old 07-08-2011, 09:33 AM
And for the record, no, nobody in that wreck got hurt. Not even the idiot driver. So it all worked out.

You people are acting like I was wishing death upon someone. I just wanted some asshole who was driving like an idiot to get what he had coming to him which was to wreck his car for being so stupid. It all worked out perfectly.

Next time, just to make all of you happy, I'll wish for the driver to flip the car and land on a group of school children gathered to watch the policemen work. Make sure there's a whole bunch of casualties this time.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Quote:
And for the record, no, nobody in that wreck got hurt. Not even the idiot driver. So it all worked out.

You people are acting like I was wishing death upon someone. I just wanted some asshole who was driving like an idiot to get what he had coming to him which was to wreck his car for being so stupid. It all worked out perfectly.

Next time, just to make all of you happy, I'll wish for the driver to flip the car and land on a group of school children gathered to watch the policemen work. Make sure there's a whole bunch of casualties this time.
Make sure their theres some sort of tragic circumstances belying the children as well, to really go there. Like their all amputee's or something..... yeah run with that one.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Make sure their theres some sort of tragic circumstances belying the children as well, to really go there. Like their all amputee's or something..... yeah run with that one.

Blind, deaf, mute, quadriplegics with downs syndrome.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:

"We all have it coming..."
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Anytime i see someone in my rear view mirror on a motorcycle driving in between lanes while the rest of us are moving 5 mph, i want to slam the door open right when they pass my driver's side door, then say oops, i didn't see you there you cocksucker.

I know plenty of people with motorcycles and some of them take vacations in places without motorcycle laws just to have that experience, i do agree though, don't come bitching if you wipe out without the protection of a helmet.

I really do hate the sound of Harleys though, we get it, you're cool and you can make alot of noise, what is this grade school ? Once Rosie Odonnel mounted a Harley, it ceased being cool, it's just a cliche now

Going to have to go into hiding now if the guys at work see that last paragraph.