Old 06-18-2011, 01:27 AM
My cat is 18 years old. I got her when she was three weeks. The mommy cat didn't want her because she had such a big litter: 11 kittens! I actually thought she was dead the first time I saw her, lying motionless in a corner, without any reaction to stimulation. I only picked her up so I could bring her to the 'city-kadaver/city animal cremation center'. But she suddenly gasped for air and I basically put her in my bra, and she didn't leave that spot for the next three days. I kept her warm and fed her formula almost non stop, not really sure that she would make it, but she pulled trough..

She's 18 now.. very weak, skinny, kinda blind, very forgetful, an actual raspy miauw, easily offended, kind of a grumpy old granny.. Hehehe.. I took her in for some tests awhile ago, and the weird thing was that all her 'functions' were above normal(!!); liver function, kidney function, heart etc.. Except, she has asthma and allergies, so sometimes she gets pretty choked up..

I know that the tests are a good thing, but I also know how fast it can go.. Just look at the stories here.

My fear is this: that I have to put her down at the vet's office ( I agree with you Shinigami!), instead of having her home in her favorite box (she loves boxes of any kind), or even holding her because I'm the only one that can calm her down.. In some countries, for an extra fee of course, the vet will come to your home and .. do it there. I desperately hope that this is possible in this country..

I will be a complete mess, I will be mildly hysterical, I will be an emotional mess for days.. I will probably at first physically not let go of her.. Me and her went trough a lot of tough times together, but I also showed her the world.. She lived in Greece, Portugal, The Netherlands, and now the USA. I can tell she doesn't want to go anywhere anymore. But I tried to give her an adventurous and fulfilling life, as a real cat; hunting, playing, sleeping, eating and not make her into a 'lap-cat'. She was particularly spectacular when we lived in Greece, what a fantastic hunter she was. Every day I would have an array of bugs and small animals to 'choose from' right outside the front door, and she would be standing there, beaming with pride. These days she keeps to herself a lot compared to how she was when she was younger..

But this is the thing.. Besides my parents, there is nobody that I have known longer in my life.. Think about it.

My vet always says: 'Old age is NOT a disease', and I guess she is right. I make it a point to spend at least 30 minutes a day with her, just her and me, one on one, I can tell that she really likes that..

Count, thank you for starting this thread. My heart goes out to all of you that are grieving for a lost companion.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
My heart is broken today.

I was leaving for an appointment this morning, and when I got to the bottom of the driveway, there on the road was our beautiful Siamese, Harley Quinn. (She's in my profile picture.) I immediately started crying. My husband (Bourahioro) came outside when I started honking the horn and carried her up to the house.

I'm beside myself, and have been all day. This was SO unnecessary. We live with my mother - I've been begging her for MONTHS to stop letting my cat outside. Harley Quinn was an indoor kitty until my mother insisted on letting her out. We came home the other night from taking the kids to Transformers and she was close to the road - at that point I AGAIN told my mother I did NOT want her outside. She completely disregarded and disrespected my wishes...and my cat is dead.

I'm so heartbroken. RIP, Harley Quinn. You were loved.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantameant View Post
My heart is broken today.

I was leaving for an appointment this morning, and when I got to the bottom of the driveway, there on the road was our beautiful Siamese, Harley Quinn. (She's in my profile picture.) I immediately started crying. My husband (Bourahioro) came outside when I started honking the horn and carried her up to the house.

I'm beside myself, and have been all day. This was SO unnecessary. We live with my mother - I've been begging her for MONTHS to stop letting my cat outside. Harley Quinn was an indoor kitty until my mother insisted on letting her out. We came home the other night from taking the kids to Transformers and she was close to the road - at that point I AGAIN told my mother I did NOT want her outside. She completely disregarded and disrespected my wishes...and my cat is dead.

I'm so heartbroken. RIP, Harley Quinn. You were loved.

Wow. I'm so sorry for you loss....and everyone else's.

This is meant to be no offense to the OP (Count), but fuck this thread. Why I clicked on it, who knows. While reading all of these tragic stories, my cat Midnight (a black Persian) jumped up on my bed and laid right next to me, bathing and purring. All I could think of is how horrible it's gonna be when he's gone (he's around 10 years old). He literally runs the house that contains 2 cats, 2 dogs, and...well....a bird that just died the other day (a cockatiel....a very annoying cockatiel). The last pet that died was my bearded dragon that I had for about 6 years. Out of nowhere, her health just completely diminished. She couldn't eat anything, even when force feeding her via a syringe. Her body was cold as ice and I kept bathing her in warm water to keep her body temp up. After doing this for over 3 hours, she died right in my hands.

I later buried her right outside in the back by the pool. We planted a flower just above where she is buried and that flower blossomed beautifully.

I hate this thread.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Oh that is so sad
Old 07-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clever guy View Post

Wow. I'm so sorry for you loss....and everyone else's.

This is meant to be no offense to the OP (Count), but fuck this thread. Why I clicked on it, who knows. While reading all of these tragic stories, my cat Midnight (a black Persian) jumped up on my bed and laid right next to me, bathing and purring. All I could think of is how horrible it's gonna be when he's gone (he's around 10 years old). He literally runs the house that contains 2 cats, 2 dogs, and...well....a bird that just died the other day (a cockatiel....a very annoying cockatiel). The last pet that died was my bearded dragon that I had for about 6 years. Out of nowhere, her health just completely diminished. She couldn't eat anything, even when force feeding her via a syringe. Her body was cold as ice and I kept bathing her in warm water to keep her body temp up. After doing this for over 3 hours, she died right in my hands.

I later buried her right outside in the back by the pool. We planted a flower just above where she is buried and that flower blossomed beautifully.

I hate this thread.
I hate that I could post in it. Sucks.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Sending mucho love and condolences to you Bantameant. It's bloody tough.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Sending mucho love and condolences to you Bantameant. It's bloody tough.
Thanks so much. It's such a different situation than when we had to put a kitty down - he was sick, this was just a stupid accident.

Time will make it better...or at least less difficult. I hope.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Christ, that's awful. My heart goes out to you, Banta.

No offense taken, Clever Guy. I agree; fuck this thread.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I think this thread is a good.

Plus when we lose a pet which is close to us iit can be such a sad experience
Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Really sorry to hear about your dog Count. It is always shitty when a pet passes away.

My cat is 13 years old and I am dreading the day when she passes.
Well it finally happened
My pet cat had cancer and had to be put down yesterday. So sad BUT she did live a good life and lived to 16 years old.

I miss her already though.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 AM
whoops double...

Last edited by God of War; 10-26-2012 at 06:40 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 AM
I found it extremely difficult going into this thread for obvious reasons. My heart goes out to each and single one of you who has lost that special pet. Infact, I don't like calling them pets. They are four legged friends, companions, and most importantly, they are a very special and important part of one's family.

I lost my beautiful Simba back in June. He was a male 8 year old black and white cat. And he had almost human characteristics. He would do the most cutest things. He's an outdoors cat. And back in June I found him dead in out front yard. The Vet said he had eaten snail bait. Simba knew better than that. He was taken from us way ahead of his time. I will post pictures of him soon. My mom was and still is so sad about this. I lost my dad back in 2005. And now this. I have photos of my Simba on my desk. And although this was very tragic for both my mom and myself, I think that it was meant to be. That last bit may sound stupid, but that's how I see it.

Now I won't have another pet. Because I just can't face the fact of losing them. Death is horrible. It's the worst thing ever. Nothing comes close... I miss him. Late at night he would always be at the back waiting for his night time visit and food. For those of you who have owned and loved your animals, it's heart wrenching to lose them. To all of the animals passed away in this thread, we love you and miss you dearly.

EDIT-Posted some photos of my Simba. The first 3 were taken 6 years ago. And upon his passing, he looked exactly the same, just a bit fluffier. The 4th photo was taken4 years ago. I have more. About 14 photos of him. But none from this year. I regret not having taken alot more, and not taking video of him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23-12-06_1747.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	10879   Click image for larger version

Name:	23-12-06_1748.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	10880   Click image for larger version

Name:	23-12-06_1749.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	10881   Click image for larger version

Name:	29-01-08_1041.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	10882  

Last edited by God of War; 10-26-2012 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: .
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Geez God of War it is so sad that you lost your freind Simba

I know they are only pets but sometimes pets can be so close to you and it is sad when they pass also

I think l have already mentioned ehre on the this thread about my dog tess who died over two years ago and she had a tumour as big as a football in her stomach and in the end she couldnt walk so we had to put her down

When we took her to the vet she must have known she was going out the dootr with us

She was going to be given a needle to put her to sleep

Before we left she sat up which she couldnt do towrds the end of her life

She sat there wagging her tail at us

We were all crying as we left after she went to sleep for the last time

Oh just over a month ago l lost my budgie Fred he was a little fat thing but every morning l would hear him chirp but one morning l went out he was gone