Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Does This Expression Offend The American Schmoes?

Many years ago, when I used to chill out with a bunch of wankers. Long before I was even online on the net, these blokes I used to get stoned and drunk with, used to pay out on the American folks. I had no idea wtf they were on about, and I still don't. Bunch of morons that they were. And most probably still are. Anyways, they used to say septic tanks.

Over here a septic tank is like a shit storage unit or something like that.

But why in the fuck do they call people in the States septic tanks? Is this an offensive term, or is it just nonsense, or both?

Can someone please shine some light on this for me, thanks.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:52 PM

you remind me so much of those two.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 PM
I've never heard that as a derogatory term before..
a septic tank here is the same thing there. =P
Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Yeah.

Never heard anybody call anybody a septic tank either. But then again I don't live in new york. Heyho.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Haha @ the picture of Daniel and Nath'.

I presume they mean Septic tanks = 'Yanks'
Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Septic Tanks makes sense to me. People are full of shit.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:04 PM
That's just fucking dumb, not offensive
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I thought it had something to do with the way our toilets flush differently. As we all know, the direction of our toilet flows has been a real thorn in US-Aussie relations for decades.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Yeah well I've heard the term before, but obviously been a colloquialism means that it's not even referred to as septic tank; american's = seppo's. Don't ask me the significance of it, I have no idea.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Americans are mostly in denial about how other countries view us. Even if somebody were to say "fucking yanks" it wouldn't offend us right away, I'd be confused because it's something I never hear. We'd have to take a moment to comprehend what's going on and what the statement means before we realize you're insulting us. After that point, it depends on the individual if they are offended or not.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:01 PM
What kind patriot is going to be offended by an australian?

Fucking australia!

And a didgeridoo to you too, fucking... Koalas.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Off-hand, I'd say no. I don't see why that would be offensive, unless we are talking about a poorly maintained septic tank. That's would be a different story.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Is this something you hear other Australians say or was it just your buddies?

I wouldn't put too much thought into it if they were always drunk when spewing out that shit.

I don't really get offended much because whoever is being offensive is usually just a jackass you don't take seriously.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Many years ago, when I used to chill out with a bunch of wankers. Long before I was even online on the net, these blokes I used to get stoned and drunk with, used to pay out on the American folks. I had no idea wtf they were on about, and I still don't. Bunch of morons that they were. And most probably still are. Anyways, they used to say septic tanks.

Over here a septic tank is like a shit storage unit or something like that.

But why in the fuck do they call people in the States septic tanks? Is this an offensive term, or is it just nonsense, or both?

Can someone please shine some light on this for me, thanks.

Geez l like the way you wrote your post grins

Do you know that so many of our slang words are going out the window these days because in real terms the way we speak is changing and how we explain things to others

Yes the term septic tank was never used in Australia and the term shit storage unit is correct

Even the word arse is called Fanny in america
Fringe is bangs l always wondered why they call it that
Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Americans are mostly in denial about how other countries view us. Even if somebody were to say "fucking yanks" it wouldn't offend us right away, I'd be confused because it's something I never hear. We'd have to take a moment to comprehend what's going on and what the statement means before we realize you're insulting us. After that point, it depends on the individual if they are offended or not.
That is a great way of putting it.

I guess it has more to do with one's self esteem. We Americans have a high level of self esteem and tend to look down on the rest of the world, so if someone insults us, we don't care. It would be like an ant giving a human the finger. When one considers the insulter to be a threat, then we tend to take action.

You can however, take a positve view of being called a septic tank. The septic tank is part of a septic system. A septic system is actually a rather simple, but amazing process of dealing with shit. The positive side comes into thinking that you know how to handle shit and deal with it. In the case of your friends, perhaps these Americans knew how to handle your friends being that they were little shits.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
We Americans have a high level of self esteem and tend to look down on the rest of the world

Speak for yourself, buddy!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn View Post

Speak for yourself, buddy!
In general, we do. If that does not include you, I am sorry. Barnes and Noble has a great self help section. Gogo might make good use of it too.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
What kind patriot is going to be offended by an australian?

Quote:
Fucking australia!

Quote:
And a didgeridoo to you too, fucking... Koalas.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Quote:
In general, we do. If that does not include you, I am sorry. Barnes and Noble has a great self help section. Gogo might make good use of it too.

So GoGo and I need a self-help book to "teach" us to be condescending assholes?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Quote:
So GoGo and I need a self-help book to "teach" us to be condescending assholes?
I am sorry, who are you and what is your issue?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 PM
For the record. I am a condescending asshole in real life. It's an acquired art on my part
Old 07-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
For the record. I am a condescending asshole in real life. It's an acquired art on my part
LOL NO you are not!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 PM
You see, because septic tanks, or shit storage units, play a very important part in the care of a clean household; however, a poorly maintained one, is just that - bad. So no…

Anyway, I think we should be clear that when Aussies are calling America "shit-storage" they are referring to our status as a melting-pot. It's less a slag at America, but more-so at displaced refugees and exiles from other countries. So while totally stupid, it might also be a bit…. well, perhaps it reflects attitudes even shared by members of their parliament in recent times. It's odd to hear something coming from a country with such beautiful land and beaches, despite their history.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Quote:
I am sorry, who are you and what is your issue?
My "issue" is with you originally saying that Americans look down on other countries. Again, speak for yourself. And by the way, Glenn Beck sucks.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Septic Tank? No, I can't say that offends me.

I think it's safe to say Americans look down on some countries. Who doesn't though? Everyone in every part of the planet if guilty of that. You could have a problem with another country for a number of reasons. I mean it would make perfect sense to many if they were told other countries look down on America. Even a good portion of Americans look down on their own country.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Quote:
That is a great way of putting it.

I guess it has more to do with one's self esteem. We Americans have a high level of self esteem and tend to look down on the rest of the world, so if someone insults us, we don't care. It would be like an ant giving a human the finger. When one considers the insulter to be a threat, then we tend to take action.

You can however, take a positve view of being called a septic tank. The septic tank is part of a septic system. A septic system is actually a rather simple, but amazing process of dealing with shit. The positive side comes into thinking that you know how to handle shit and deal with it. In the case of your friends, perhaps these Americans knew how to handle your friends being that they were little shits.
\

Well that is true that Americans do have very high self esteem on how they come across

I have spoken to quite a few americans and they are diferent to Australians in the way they come across
Where us aussies are easy going and laid back the americans can be quite different from that
I just want to also say that l am not having a go at anyone

I also notice that Americans get so excited about things where we dont to some degree
Old 07-26-2011, 02:11 AM
by "easy going and laid back," you mean when they aren't being told when lightening was "invented."
Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 AM
what's with the hard on you have for GoGo? I mean, she hadn't even said anything to you in this post. it's like you can't get her off your mind. (I know the feeling )
and I'm with Elgyn. speak for yourself. you can't generalize in such magnitude. just because you are an egotistical chauvinist, doesn't mean we all are.

stop being such a septic tank, dude.

Quote:
just out of curiosity, how much is wifi at the trailer park?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 AM
no way, man!
he's got like.. houses in italy and the bahamas... and he's filthy rich. his kids are geniuses..his wife is a super model.. oh yeah, and he works for the CIA!

he's cool on the internet. don't take that from him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloneofkelso View Post
what's with the hard on you have for GoGo? I mean, she hadn't even said anything to you in this post. it's like you can't get her off your mind. (I know the feeling )
and I'm with Elgyn. speak for yourself. you can't generalize in such magnitude. just because you are an egotistical chauvinist, doesn't mean we all are.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
My "issue" is with you originally saying that Americans look down on other countries. Again, speak for yourself. And by the way, Glenn Beck sucks.
Dude, you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I will speak for whomever I choose. If that does not include you, I don't care. Maybe if you went out into the world and visited different countries you might learn that many countries do not like Americans, because of the way we act. We are all grouped together. Now millions of people do not fit this "Ugly American" label we get, but we still have it.

Glenn BecK??? Dude, you need help. Seek Help.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoYubari View Post
no way, man!
he's got like.. houses in italy and the bahamas... and he's filthy rich. his kids are geniuses..his wife is a super model.. oh yeah, and he works for the CIA!

he's cool on the internet. don't take that from him.

LOL Thank you. Sorry sweety. I only say the truth and I am exactly what I say I am. I feel sorry for you that you have to always say things about me personally.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 AM
I literally lol'ed.
you feel sorry that I say things about you??
seriously, bro??
I wasn't even talking to you, about you, in your direction, or in relation to what you were saying and YOU said something about ME!
do you see the irony in that??

you're a fucking joke.

Quote:
LOL Thank you. Sorry sweety. I only say the truth and I am exactly what I say I am. I feel sorry for you that you have to always say things about me personally.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloneofkelso View Post

Yes, I can. Yes, I did. Yes, I will continue to.

I do like the trailer park line. LOL Sticks and stones.

You know, there are people in the world with opinions that differ from yours. Saying what you said, will not win you any debates. Any validity you had in the first part was lost in the second part. I will continue to say my opinion and I don't care what you think of it. Just know, I do not have to say things about you in order to present mine.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoYubari View Post
I literally lol'ed.
you feel sorry that I say things about you??
seriously, bro??
I wasn't even talking to you, about you, in your direction, or in relation to what you were saying and YOU said something about ME!
do you see the irony in that??

you're a fucking joke.
I guess you think we are all stupid. Of course you are talking about me. Would you like me to direct everyone to the other thread where I say things about my life and you try to poke fun at me?

You are going to get yourself banned from all this nonsense about me. You should say your sorry and learn to respect the rules here. They are going to close the thread and it would be your fault. This happened once before, but I asked for the thread to be re opened, because it was only one person causing issues. You.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Any validity you had in the first part was lost in the second part. I will continue to say my opinion and I don't care what you think of it. Just know, I do not have to say things about you in order to present mine.
again...
way to contradict yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous
Barnes and Noble has a great self help section. Gogo might make good use of it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous
Dude, you need help. Seek Help.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM
you're a fucking lunatic!
seriously!
WHAT was directed towards you???
WHAT did I say in the post BEFORE you brought me into your nonsense that was directed towards you??
THE ONLY thing I said prior was:
Quote:
I've never heard that as a derogatory term before..
how the fuck does that have anything to do with you??

seriously, yo.. you look like a total quack.
maybe it's time to step away from the internet, hmm??

and you're going to get yourself banned..
I've never had a problem with anyone else here, yet its YOU that has the problem with MULTIPLE people.
you start shit intentionally, so don't bitch out when people give it back.

Quote:
I guess you think we are all stupid. Of course you are talking about me. Would you like me to direct everyone to the other thread where I say things about my life and you try to poke fun at me?

You are going to get yourself banned from all this nonsense about me. You should say your sorry and learn to respect the rules here. They are going to close the thread and it would be your fault. This happened once before, but I asked for the thread to be re opened, because it was only one person causing issues. You.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Well, this is much better than The Dark Half.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM
This is the one and ONLY warning I'm putting in this thread:

If there is one more issue in this thread, it WILL be closed.

Either discuss the issue or don't post at all.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Have any American schmoes seen The Dark Half and were offended by it? I was. It was so bad and could have been so good.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 AM
There are a lot of Americans who look down on other countries.

I'm not one of them though because I know America is far from perfect.

America is often made fun by other countries for it's conservative views on sex and of course I have many problems with the American media.

There are so many non-issues that the politicians and the media want to make a big deal of and it drives me crazy.