Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Bought Au Revoir Les Enfants the other day. I've never seen it, but I've heard good things. I also watched my Thin Red Line Blu-ray for the first time last night and it was absolutely gorgeous. One of the best Blu-rays out there.

I'm hoping Badlands gets the Criterion treatment. It's my favorite Malick film.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:42 PM
July Titles Announced!

I'm too lazy too put them here right now though, but I thought I would let you guys know.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Just bought Blow Out today and rewatched it tonight . Tried to get it the day it came out but the HMV near my workplace only stocked one copy and someone got to it before me.

So good. Definitely still my favourite de Palma alongside Mission: Impossible. And the picture quality is very very nice for a thirty-year-old film. Though the surround is a little confusing to get working (it doesn't help that it says DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Surround on the back and in the booklet, it tells you to turn on the Dolby Pro Logic setting for the Dolby 2.0 track) especially since it's not a true 5.1 mix. I'm still not sure if I got the settings right on the receiver for our watch tonight.

I'm intrigued by this Black Moon cover and wanna see Insignificance pretty badly.

I'd also like for them to hurry the heck up and announce Y Tu Mama Tambien. I hope they're not saving it for December.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Just bought Blow Out today and rewatched it tonight . Tried to get it the day it came out but the HMV near my workplace only stocked one copy and someone got to it before me.

So good. Definitely still my favourite de Palma alongside Mission: Impossible. And the picture quality is very very nice for a thirty-year-old film. Though the surround is a little confusing to get working (it doesn't help that it says DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Surround on the back and in the booklet, it tells you to turn on the Dolby Pro Logic setting for the Dolby 2.0 track) especially since it's not a true 5.1 mix. I'm still not sure if I got the settings right on the receiver for our watch tonight.

I'm intrigued by this Black Moon cover and wanna see Insignificance pretty badly.

I'd also like for them to hurry the heck up and announce Y Tu Mama Tambien. I hope they're not saving it for December.
I just got done watching my Blow Out Blu as well and it's truly a terrific film. De Palma's best and Travolta's best besides Pulp Fiction. Criterion did a great job restoring the picture and the supplements are great.

Definitely worth a purchase.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 AM
August releases...

Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 AM
And the teaser image from this month's newsletter...

A lot of folks are thinking this means Island of Lost Souls is coming, which I certainly hope is true -- it's a fantastic classic horror flick that deserves treatment as awesome as I'm sure Criterion would provide it.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Any news of curent films from the Criterion Collection that could be...

Spoiler:
Out Of Print?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Hakari View Post

A lot of folks are thinking this means Island of Lost Souls is coming, which I certainly hope is true -- it's a fantastic classic horror flick that deserves treatment as awesome as I'm sure Criterion would provide it.
Never seen that version but the 70's remake is near to HG Well's book and even way better than the 90's remake starring Marlon Brando. I wonder if any other films from Kevin Smith might get the Criterion Collection treatment? Chasing Amy is on the Criterion Collection. I hope Mallrats is the chosen one.

P.S. The video store where i rent my movies have ordered and already arrived the Criterion Collection of Le Circe Rouge. Has anyone seen it?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh man, I'm ALL over Kubrick' The Killing and Cocteau's Orpheus. Man those are gonna be good and on Blu Ray no less.

Hey, question. Any news on the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale this year?

These were my latest purchases:

Watching Paris, Texas tonight and I can't wait to see how it looks on blu. Same goes for Thin Red Line, my favorite war film.

Next purchases will probably include Paths of Glory, Solaris, Diabolique, and a Bergman film, not sure which one yet. Smiles of a Summer's Night perhaps.

But yea, that B&N sale would help A LOT haha
Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Kieslowski's Colors Trilogy
Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Hakari View Post

Paul Schrader's Cat People?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
September titles announced:

Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 AM
I can't believe it's taken all this time to have a Chabrol film put on Criterion.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Read on MUBI, the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale starts July 12th. There's mumblings of this being the last one.

I'm gonna end up buying a lot, I can feel it.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Read on MUBI, the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale starts July 12th. There's mumblings of this being the last one.

I'm gonna end up buying a lot, I can feel it.
That's right after the buy 2 get 1 free sale ends. They don't usually do those back to back.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Guess we'll find it soon enough. A couple of posters on MUBI claim to work at B&N and they're confirming the news.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:13 AM
Criterion 50% sale is ON!

Fuck I'm gonna buy so many it's not even funny

So far I know I'll get:

Diabolique
Days of heaven
Naked
Paths of glory
Double life of Veronique
Rosellini's war trilogy
High and low
Yojimbo/Sanjuro

That'll probably be the 1st batch
Old 07-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Think i'm getting

Le Cercle Rouge
Chunking Express
Yo Jimbo/Sanjuro
Rififi
Band of Outsiders

But maybe more. So this might be the last one ever? Damn...
Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 AM
I already placed my first order as soon as it went live.

My first haul:

Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy
3 Silent Classics by Josef Von Sternberg
Two Films by Yasujiro Ozu
Bigger Than Life
Broadcast News
Cronos
Homicide
The Magician
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Modern Times
Red Desert
Secret of the Grain
Stagecoach
The Thin Red Line
Vivre sa vie

Plan to make more purchases at the end of next week
Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 PM
BTW i was wondering if anyone knew how Criterion films get picked to be criterion. Their selections seem so bizarre sometimes.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 AM
For the most part, they essentially just take films that are either universally classic films, or films they think are important and release them as long as they are able to acquire the rights to the films. There's no real genre requirement or anything, just being great films, though there are plenty of exceptions.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSanchez View Post
For the most part, they essentially just take films that are either universally classic films, or films they think are important and release them as long as they are able to acquire the rights to the films. There's no real genre requirement or anything, just being great films, though there are plenty of exceptions.
Well for the most part it is great films. But it's the 'exceptions' that make me wonder just who is in charge of deciding what films should get criterion releases or not. Example, "Armageddon" and "The Rock"? Next it'll be "Transformers" and "The Green Lantern".
It's not that these films don't necessarily deserve special releases. It's more like, 99% of Criterions are art films, foreign films, classic films, independent films or some combination of that.
So when I see "Armageddon" on the local video store rack next to "The 400 Blows" i'm a little puzzled.
And then also there are a trillion films i watch everyday that I wonder why they don't have criterion releases yet.
I'm not really complaining though, I love Criterion. They are responsible for some of the best transfers, and dvd releases. I especially love the essays included with most of their films.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Well for the most part it is great films. But it's the 'exceptions' that make me wonder just who is in charge of deciding what films should get criterion releases or not. Example, "Armageddon" and "The Rock"? Next it'll be "Transformers" and "The Green Lantern".
It's not that these films don't necessarily deserve special releases. It's more like, 99% of Criterions are art films, foreign films, classic films, independent films or some combination of that.
So when I see "Armageddon" on the local video store rack next to "The 400 Blows" i'm a little puzzled.
And then also there are a trillion films i watch everyday that I wonder why they don't have criterion releases yet.
I'm not really complaining though, I love Criterion. They are responsible for some of the best transfers, and dvd releases. I especially love the essays included with most of their films.
In the case of Armageddon and The Rock, they mainly justified by saying that even blockbuster action films would fit into their mission statement, and I suppose no real better example than Michael Bay, no matter how much I'm not a fan. It's also a way for them to make some money to fund other future releases.

As far as other titles not released on Criterion, most of the time, its just the ability to acquire the rights that blocks most releases. Or just the fact that there's already a great release of a specific film where a release would be unnecessary. Example: Criterion seems to be forming a decent relationship with David Fincher seeing how Curious Case of Benjamin Button was released and The Game is rumored in the future. But I doubt they'd ever release films like Se7en, Fight Club or even Zodiac in the future, even if the rights were able to be acquired, simply because the releases available are pretty good already.

In other news, October releases were announced:

Also, on Blu-Ray: Salo, Harakiri, and Dazed and Confused

I'm pretty excited about Island of Lost Souls. I already own Kuroneko on Masters of Cinema UK Series, but still wouldn't mind double dipping.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Quote:
In the case of Armageddon and The Rock, they mainly justified by saying that even blockbuster action films would fit into their mission statement, and I suppose no real better example than Michael Bay, no matter how much I'm not a fan. It's also a way for them to make some money to fund other future releases.

As far as other titles not released on Criterion, most of the time, its just the ability to acquire the rights that blocks most releases. Or just the fact that there's already a great release of a specific film where a release would be unnecessary. Example: Criterion seems to be forming a decent relationship with David Fincher seeing how Curious Case of Benjamin Button was released and The Game is rumored in the future. But I doubt they'd ever release films like Se7en, Fight Club or even Zodiac in the future, even if the rights were able to be acquired, simply because the releases available are pretty good already.

In other news, October releases were announced:

Also, on Blu-Ray: Salo, Harakiri, and Dazed and Confused

I'm pretty excited about Island of Lost Souls. I already own Kuroneko on Masters of Cinema UK Series, but still wouldn't mind double dipping.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. It makes sense.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Dazed & Confused blu-ray upgrade. FUCK YEAH!

I was worried that they wouldn't be releasing this when I saw Universal was releasing their own version on blu-ray. I would have waited for the Criterion blu either way though cause the Criterion DVD transfer is pretty damn gorgeous and probably looks better than the Universal blu-ray transfer would. I wonder if they'll still do the outer cardboard box or do it like all their other blu-rays, with the clear case.

I'm also very curious about Kuroneko after reading about how they were going to release it alongside House initially.

Looks like they're saving Y Tu Mama Tambien for the very end of the year...
Old 07-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:

I was worried that they wouldn't be releasing this when I saw Universal was releasing their own version on blu-ray. I would have waited for the Criterion blu either way though cause the Criterion DVD transfer is pretty damn gorgeous and probably looks better than the Universal blu-ray transfer would. I wonder if they'll still do the outer cardboard box or do it like all their other blu-rays, with the clear case.

I'm also very curious about Kuroneko after reading about how they were going to release it alongside House initially.

They might use the outer cardboard box cover still. I know with Videodrome, the blu ray cover is the same as the DVD cover just smaller.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 AM
Quote:

With this and the release of Fear and Loathing being the case, I hope it means a Criterion Blu-Ray of Brazil is still possible. Universal released their own BD with just the film in it. I'd pay so much to get a BD of that set. It's my favorite Criterion release.

P.S. I'm totally snatching up Blow Out, Repulsion and maybe The Night of The Hunter with the current sale. I really hope it's not the last one.

Last edited by drc5145; 07-18-2011 at 01:46 AM..
Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
With this and the release of Fear and Loathing being the case, I hope it means a Criterion Blu-Ray of Brazil is still possible. Universal released their own BD with just the film in it. I'd pay so much to get a BD of that set. It's my favorite Criterion release.

P.S. I'm totally snatching up Blow Out, Repulsion and maybe The Night of The Hunter with the current sale. I really hope it's not the last one.
Love Blow Out! My favorite De Palma flick! and Repulsion is great too! Haven't seen Night of the Hunter yet!
Just picked up Bad of Outsiders at the sale. 15 bucks! Awesome movie!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Picked up Thin Red Line and Paths of Glory on Blu-ray through the sale. Criterion is awesome!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Love Blow Out! My favorite De Palma flick! and Repulsion is great too! Haven't seen Night of the Hunter yet!
Just picked up Bad of Outsiders at the sale. 15 bucks! Awesome movie!
I would definitely recommend checking out Night of the Hunter. Personally, one of my favorite films of all-time. Mitchum's performance alone is a reason to check it out.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Quote:
I would definitely recommend checking out Night of the Hunter. Personally, one of my favorite films of all-time. Mitchum's performance alone is a reason to check it out.
Yeah, I really want to see Night of the Hunter. I'll have to pick it up soon!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
They might use the outer cardboard box cover still. I know with Videodrome, the blu ray cover is the same as the DVD cover just smaller.
Ah I completely forgot about Videodrome. That raises my hopes cause I really love the way the DVD package is now. I'm not sure yet if I'm just gonna keep my DVD version or sell/give it to someone instead. It's served me very well over the past few years.

By the way, for anyone who picks up Blow Out - I wasn't aware of this at first but it is a 2.0 Surround track, not simply stereo. A lot of DVD/blu-ray review sites seemed to not realize this and assume it was simply a stereo track. I didn't realize there was such a thing at first and it took me a while to figure out I have to tweak some settings and set it to Dolby Pro Logic manually on my receiver to play it properly (it'll decode with four channels, left, center, right, and surround speakers). But it's definitely worth the trouble to do it - the sequence where Travolta is recording the sounds near the beginning has some excellent directional effects.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Ah I completely forgot about Videodrome. That raises my hopes cause I really love the way the DVD package is now. I'm not sure yet if I'm just gonna keep my DVD version or sell/give it to someone instead. It's served me very well over the past few years.

By the way, for anyone who picks up Blow Out - I wasn't aware of this at first but it is a 2.0 Surround track, not simply stereo. A lot of DVD/blu-ray review sites seemed to not realize this and assume it was simply a stereo track. I didn't realize there was such a thing at first and it took me a while to figure out I have to tweak some settings and set it to Dolby Pro Logic manually on my receiver to play it properly (it'll decode with four channels, left, center, right, and surround speakers). But it's definitely worth the trouble to do it - the sequence where Travolta is recording the sounds near the beginning has some excellent directional effects.
Damn! Wish I had surround sound right about now. What great movie!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 PM
New wacky clue from the newsletter:

Luis Bu˝uel's Belle de jour
Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Don't know if anyone knows, but next Criterion sale is in November. I heard it through the grapevine.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Don't know if anyone knows, but next Criterion sale is in November. I heard it through the grapevine.
That's around the time they did it last year. I remember because I bought Night Of The Hunter during the sale and it came out last November.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah, it's usually November and July for the B&N sale. Though I did read somewhere else that allegedly a B&N employee said that it would come in February of next year instead of November this year.

For me actually, I might even prefer a February sale than a November sale if there is any truth to what the B&N employee supposedly said. I'm gonna be Christmas shopping in November, and the sale doesn't help since no one I know personally cares about Criterion outside of me. So money might be limited in November, plus a couple extra months to regroup from this sale isn't a bad thing. Also, in February, I would have just got my tax money back, which is definitely a plus.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:55 PM
The Man Who Fell To Earth

Looking for the DVD Criterion version of this, Does anyone have one for sale or trade? Let me know and ill send you a list of what i have for trade... Thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Yeah, it's usually November and July for the B&N sale. Though I did read somewhere else that allegedly a B&N employee said that it would come in February of next year instead of November this year.

For me actually, I might even prefer a February sale than a November sale if there is any truth to what the B&N employee supposedly said. I'm gonna be Christmas shopping in November, and the sale doesn't help since no one I know personally cares about Criterion outside of me. So money might be limited in November, plus a couple extra months to regroup from this sale isn't a bad thing. Also, in February, I would have just got my tax money back, which is definitely a plus.
I'm not sure how credible that employee is. I heard directly from an employee that the next one would be in November. He said that Barnes and Noble singed a deal with criterion to do 2 sales a year, and that the next one would be in November. You might be out of luck =/
And from the looks of it, you bought a shitload of Criterion movies lol. Criterion is worth every penny though. I'm getting my final batch wednesday. 4-5 left.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure how credible that employee is. I heard directly from an employee that the next one would be in November. He said that Barnes and Noble singed a deal with criterion to do 2 sales a year, and that the next one would be in November. You might be out of luck =/
And from the looks of it, you bought a shitload of Criterion movies lol. Criterion is worth every penny though. I'm getting my final batch wednesday. 4-5 left.
Yeah...I purchased a lot with this sale. It's actually the first time I've ever taken advantage of the B&N sale. I'll still likely buy a couple come November, if that's when the next sale is going to be. But, if it does happen to come in February, I might actually be able to finish up the entire collection at once as I need about 30 total left to complete it.