Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm still in shock over what Tito did. Seriously. Who would have thought he would have finished Bader that easily? I figured it would have gone all 3 rounds, a split decision to Bader... but damn, Tito finished him strong.

Also really happy to see Carlos Condit get the big win with the flying knee... Good for him. He deserves to get noticed by the UFC. He puts on great fights, much more interesting to watch than most of the wrestlers in his weight class.

It's sad though about Wanderlei, but it is definitely time for him to cash in his chips. It's getting too dangerous for him to get knocked out like that. It seems like most of the old schoolers are at that point of checking out... It's sad. We're literally seeing the end of an era in the sport.

It was crazy to see the undercard outshine the headlining fight. I think Cruz and Faber both gave two great rounds and then both got tired and kept fighting. They were pretty even overall. It's like they canceled each other out. Oh well, it happens. Honestly, the fight was more of a draw, but I know Cruz got the win because Faber didn't seal the deal. He was never that far ahead of him in the fight.

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 07-04-2011 at 07:11 PM..
Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 AM
The Wanderlei fight was very depressing. The guy just doesn't have the chin to compete in MMA anymore, retiring is the best option for him. I mean if they give him someone like Jorge Santiago in his next fight and he pulls out the win, they'll give him someone like Mark Munoz or Brian Stann and he will just be violently knocked out again. Wand is a legend, but his chin is gone and any fighter with some power would be able to knock him out.

I'm stunned that out of the MMA superstars from the late 90's/early 00's (Randy/Chuck/Wanderlei) Tito Ortiz actually gets a dominating win over a solid opponent. I'm not the biggest Tito fan, but I still enjoyed seeing him get a good win after nearly five years of disappointment.

Cruz/Faber 2 was great. I actually had the fight as a draw and I wouldn't mind if they had a rematch in the near future. Faber seemed to land the more damaging strikes while Cruz fought his typical fight and landed more strikes although nothing seemed to hurt Faber. Either way, it was a great fight and I want to see it again.

The whole show was amazing. The only stinker was the Tavares/Simpson fight which was just Simpson wall and stalling his way to a victory. Melvin Guillard looked like a monster and I hope they forego the partner not fighting deal and have Guillard vs Guida. It makes sense and they can have it as the next spot for number one contender if Jim Miller doesn't beat Ben Henderson. I felt bad for GSots. I thought Dos Anjos landed a lucky shot and now he's completely out of lightweight contention. Condit looked great as well and even though I think GSP beats Nick Diaz, Condit/Diaz would be the best welterweight title fight in a long time. Wiman/Siver was really good and on first viewing I agreed with the Siver victory. The rest of the fights were good with Njoukuani/Winner being one of the more entertaining one sided beatdowns in recent memory.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 07-05-2011 at 01:13 AM..
Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I dont know why i was so happy when Tito won, but i was almost as pumped as when Lyoto KO'd Randy Couture.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:58 PM
One hour until Fedor / Hendo starts. I'm tired of fucking waiting, this is a sick fight and I'm pumped for it. I got Fedor by sub. Remember when Hendo fought Anderson Silva in '08 and everybody was all over Silva's nuts beforehand? I was firmly in Hendo's corner, but I told people at the time that the only thing that scared me was Hendo's tendency to get sloppy when he's hurt. If you tag him on his chin and make him kinda shaky, he just starts throwing gunslinger style, from the hip, all wild and shit. It's fucking awesome, but it leaves him open and vulnerable to takedowns and shit. That's exactly what happened then, and is what I expect to happen tonight.

I love Hendo just as much as the next dude, but Fedor NEEDS to win this fight. If he loses, then it's probably the end of the road for him and that's the only reason I hope he wins. Henderson stands to lose nothing unless he gets absolutely embarrassed, and that shit ain't happening. I think this might be first time I've ever not been rooting for Hendo, and it's probably gonna be the last.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Exactly, this fight could very well be his last. It's an incredibly surreal situation as a fan of PRIDE and early UFC, seeing him fight for his career like this makes me feel old! Fedor definitely needs to win decisively if he wants to remain a top contender in the sport. I have a feeling, and it's just a feeling, Hendo will try to grind out a decision win cause' I don't think he can sub or out-box Fedor, I would be shocked to see that happen.. in any case, if Fedor can keep it standing he should KO or beat Hendo into submission sometime in RD 2.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:46 PM
For such a high profile fight, I think it should have been allowed to go on a little longer. When Fedors face was down, it definitely looked like he was out, but as Dean was coming in, he definitely flipped around at the same time... it seemed like Dean felt he had to stop it since he was already that close.

Amazing fight, though.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Fuck! The stoppage did seem a little early as Fedor recovered right after Herb stopped it, but he looked out of it. I don't want to see Fedor fight ever again. I hope he retires. The last classic Fedor performance was against Tim Sylvia and he landed two huge kind of lucky blows to Arlovski and Rogers. He didn't look that good during those fights. I don't want him to tarnish his Pride legacy as much as Cro Cop and he's already tarnished it enough. At least Werdum/Silva are better heavyweights than Kongo/Gonzaga/Schaub (I don't buy the hype) and Hendo could probably KO/TKO anyone with his power.

Now, lost in all of this is it is such a huge moment for Dan Henderson. I've been a big fan for a while. Not as big as fan as I am as Fedor as Fedor's style is more exciting. His power and recovery time is just incredible. He might have the best chin of all time in MMA and can catch you from anywhere. I don't know where he goes from here though. Maybe Hendo/Mousasi or Hendo/Winner of King Mo/Roger.

Rest of the show was very dull. The main was great despite the depressing outcome. The only non Rings Fedor fight I recall finding dull was his fight against Semmy Schilt like ten years ago. I liked the first two rounds of Kennedy/Lawler and than Robbie started back peddling. Daley/Woodley was boring aside from the omoplata attempt from Daley. Tarrec/Scott Smith was just Saffiedine hitting a punching bag for fifteen minutes. Scott Smith sucks and has no movement at all. He has had some great come from behind victories, but that's about it. I can't get into female MMA and Tate/Coennen did nothing to change that for me.

The biggest thing to come out of this show for me was that I can't wait for the Strikeforce/Showtime contract to end and the Strikeforce guys coming to UFC. Fedor is basically done so he won't matter anymore. Overeem got "cut" by Strikeforce yesterday yet I can see UFC hiring him in the near future. Diaz is back in the UFC, I bet Hendo would go to the UFC if they give him a unification match against whoever the Light Heavyweight champ is at that time. Guys like Feijao, Mousasi, Melendez, Jacare, Bigfoot, Kennedy, Masvidal, King Mo, Corimer, Woodley, and Werdum (Despite his shitty last performance) should be in the UFC. Sergei Kharitonov should be in the UFC, but I guess he has heat for wanting to continue to take fights from other companies. I hope that dies down. Barnett is too untrustworthy for the UFC to take a risk and Dana has said that he'll never let Paul Daley fight in the UFC again.

So, the point of this long winded post is that I just want UFC to merge with Strikeforce and to be able to never hear the Mauro Raunello/Gus Johnson/Frank Shamrock commentary team ever again.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 07-31-2011 at 01:08 AM..
Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't know if it's how depressed I am right now, or how simultaneously pissed I am, but I hate Herb Dean. I agree with Dunlop in that it seemed like Dean had already decided, then thought oh fuck maybe wait, then thought no nevermind stop. This is maybe the most depressing thing since CroCop / Gonzaga. It's a good thing I have plenty more to drink.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 AM
I would say that stoppage was 5 to 10 seconds too early, Hendo would have kept pounding on him though it's still unfortunate for Fedor to go out with such a discrepancy. Didn't get to see the first part of the fight, the stream I was watching was choppy until about the last 10 seconds..
Old 07-31-2011, 02:14 AM
I really didn't wanna protest, 'cuz I thought I might be being a big ol' whiny baby, but lookit

Seems like a horrible stoppage imo
Old 07-31-2011, 02:16 AM
I think a fuckin rematch is in order.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks for robbing us of what could have been the fight of the year, Herb.

Fedor's knockout reminded me more of Diaz getting tagged by Daley than Diaz putting Daley down at the end of their fight. Thank God McCarthy had more sense on him to let that go on. Fedor got up right after... Daley couldn't even get to his feet on his own.

What a fucking shame. Ruined what could have been an epic match.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
So, the point of this long winded post is that I just want UFC to merge with Strikeforce and to be able to never hear the Mauro Raunello/Gus Johnson/Frank Shamrock commentary team ever again.
"WHAT'S WRONG WITH GUS JOHNSON???!!!!! PUNCHES IN BUNCHES, OH MY GOD!!!!!! HA HA!!!! AND HERE COMES THE PAAAAIIIIIN!!!!!"
Old 07-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
"WHAT'S WRONG WITH GUS JOHNSON???!!!!! PUNCHES IN BUNCHES, OH MY GOD!!!!!! HA HA!!!! AND HERE COMES THE PAAAAIIIIIN!!!!!"
"I WANT TO SEE CUNG LE VS ANDERSON SILVA!!"

Gus is way better than freaking Mauro though.

"Team Alpha Male should change their name to team Alpha Male and Female"

Yes, Mauro actually said that last night. He's the worst.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 07-31-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
"I WANT TO SEE CUNG LE VS ANDERSON SILVA!!"

Gus is way better than freaking Mauro though.

"Team Alpha Male should change their name to team Alpha Male and Female"

Yes, Mauro actually said that last night. He's the worst.
For me, it's not even what they say that bothers me (although that was a dumb quote). I just wish that MMA announcers would stop pretending that whatever we're watching is the craziest, most insane thing ever. Like all sports, MMA has really boring moments and absolutely thrilling ones, but most fall in between. It's like these people don't even realize they have a mic in front of them.

Anyway, I didn't love the stoppage last night but I can understand it. Knowing when to stop a fight isn't an exact science. Regardless, Fedor needs to quit the sport for good. He always had great physical tools but now that they've declined somewhat he's pretty much been defanged.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I hated the stoppage, but I'll admit that the only way Fedor should even remain in MMA is if he actually lost some weight and changed his training. Seriously... there's no reason why he can't drop down to 205. It's 15 pounds. And it's all in his stomach.

And yes, Mauro and Gus and Frank are terrible. My friends and I always give implied face palms in every bout.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
Yeah, I hated the stoppage, but I'll admit that the only way Fedor should even remain in MMA is if he actually lost some weight and changed his training. Seriously... there's no reason why he can't drop down to 205. It's 15 pounds. And it's all in his stomach.

And yes, Mauro and Gus and Frank are terrible. My friends and I always give implied face palms in every bout.
I wonder how much greater Fedor would've been if around 08 or 09, he went to a real training camp instead of sparring with the same 2 or 3 russian guys. Like Fedor at Jackson's or Extreme Couture or something. Signing with lame ass M-1 was the worst decision of his career and as sad as it is to see Fedor going out like this, it's funny to see M-1 Global go down in flames.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 07-31-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 AM
I was really drunk Saturday night and actually WAS being a crybaby, I can see now. I think the fight could have gone on, but I can also easily see why Herb Dean stopped it. It looks to me like Fedor was actually out for a second or two, and that's when Herb started moving to stop it. That Fedor snapped back and turned over before Dean even got between them isn't his fault, he was justified in stopping it. It still irks me though. I dig Hendo and am glad for his win and all, but I'm just a little heartbroken over what's happened to Fedor in the last year or so. I think you guys are right in that he needs to go to a real camp, or switch weight classes, or do something radically different if he opts against retirement. And in spite of it all, I still hope he keeps fighting.

Anyhoo, truly shittacular UFC card coming up Saturday. Rashad / Tito as a main event, lulz. I kinda feel for the UFC when this stuff happens, when injuries and such lead to a card this horrible. I know they can't cancel or anything this late in the game but goddamn, I wish they could do something to make it seem more worth the money. Have Arianny do a halftime strip show or something. Other than the main event, which is just okay, and the co-main of Belfort / Akiyama which I actually think is a more exciting fight, there's nothing on this one. I think Rashad's gonna put a quick end to Ortiz's little post-Bader revival, probably by taking a decision. Also I got Belfort to knock out Akiyama in the second.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Wow. So Fedor got cut from Zuffa... This has already been a shitty week for me, but now it got worse.

I barely even care about the fights this weekend. Streaming that shit. It's not worth PPV prices. I'd like to see Tito win just so it could shake up the division, but I think Rashad can take it only if he fights like his old self and lets those hands go. I've hated the style he's adopted in his last few fights. It's the kind of style that justifies my immense dislike for most wrestlers who like to pin and hold and throw baby punches to win rounds. I'm looking at you Tyron Woodley and Jon Fitch. People like you ruin good fights.

Belfort better take this. There's absolutely no reason he should lose to Akiyama who has continually disappointed in his fights.

On an unrelated note, I can't wait until John Makdessi recovers from his injury. If there's a fighter on the rise who I think has true potential, it's him. His striking is some of the best I've seen for somebody just starting in the UFC. I'm hoping he's got a good ground game to hang with people like Clay Guida and Ben Henderson. If he plays his cards right and trains well, he could be extremely dangerous.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Fedor getting cut sucks, but his contract was up M-1 offer ridiculous demands so it makes some sense. Maybe Fedor/Overeem could happen on a M-1 Global show on Showtime. Or they can do Fedor/Bob Sapp or the long awaited Fedor/Goodridge 2 LOL. I hope Fedor just retires.

The card on saturday seems boring, but the main really interests me. I'm not much of a Tito fan but with most of the major players from 2000-2005 (Fedor, Randy, Wanderlei, Cro Cop, I guess Shogun can count here as well despite still being young) getting KO'ed or dominated, Tito managing to beat Rashad and complete his comback is a great story. I can't see it happening since Tito is the same guy who got clearly beaten and outstruck by Matt Hamill in October, but I really hope the guy pulls it off.

Vitor/Akiyama is a great matchup as well. Vitor can be flaky in terms of excitement, but Akiyama always brings it so I can see this being a really good fight.

Gustaffson/Hamill is interesting too me as it's the ultimate litmus test for Alexander Gustaffson. Hamill is a decent fighter but if you are a young fighter and can't beat him, you aren't going to go to far at your weight class. Munoz got KO'ed, yet has looked really good at Middleweight.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 08-05-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Old 08-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Man... Rashad was just blessed by one of the greatest boxers of our time: Bernard Hopkins.

http://youtu.be/SHwPBTDDp00
Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
Man... Rashad was just blessed by one of the greatest boxers of our time: Bernard Hopkins.

http://youtu.be/SHwPBTDDp00
That was great.

Hopkins needs to replace Roy Jones Jr. on commentary whenever he decides to retire.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Decent show tonight.

Hendricks/Pierce was a very good fight. Brown/Phan was decent. The other two prelim bouts happened.

Mendes dominated Yahya in boring fashion. I want Aldo to smash this guy if he gets past Florian. Gustaffson has some kinks to work out, but he has the potential to be a great Light Heavyweight. I'm not a big Hamill fan, but he's a solid Light Heavyweight gatekeeper and Gustaffson finished him in dominating fashion.

Rory looked awesome. He has huge potential to dominate the welterweight division somewhere down the line. I don't agree with Joe that he looks more impressive than GSP in the early stage of his career, but still Rory is the next big thing at Welterweight.

I didn't care about Rivera/Fill-A-Poo, so I bailed on that one. I've only seen one Brian Ebersole fight and that was his UFC debut and he instantly made me a fan with his goofy expressions, crazy style, and the way he fought with reckless abandon. The Hairrow helped as well. I was pumped that he smashed Hallman after the initial submission trouble early. Hallman's creepy and revealing speedo only added to the weirdness of that fight. It's a shame Ebersole didn't bust out the cartwheel kick.

Also, Ebersole picked up a bonus as well. Since their were no submission bonuses Dana White awarded him 70,000 for a brand new bonus:

Bonus For Getting Dennis Hallman's Tights Off Of PPV As Quickly As Possible: Brian Ebersole

No, I am not making this up. LOL

I was pulling for SexyYama, but Vitor winning in classic Vitor fashion was great. I'd like to see him face Sonnen if he loses against Stann, or face the new K-1 Demian Maia next.

Tito/Rashad was a really good fight. Sure, Rashad basically smashed him in the end, but Tito had nothing to be ashamed about. He was doing decently until the big takedown and I almost lost it when he went for the guillotine again. Tito deserves at least one more fight in the UFC. He took the fight on short notice and fought an exciting fight, I can't imagine Dana cutting him. Maybe do Tito/Franklin or Tito against Franklin, Lil Nog, or Forrest (If he loses to Shogun) next. Shad looked pretty great and his striking looked better than ever. That knee to the body that finished it was sick.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 08-06-2011 at 11:12 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Lulz at "K-1 Demian Maia," I like that. That'd be a good fight, him and Vitor, but I think Belfort takes it rather easily. Seems to me the only things Vitor has to worry about are wrestlers and Anderson Silva. I think Yushin Okami's got a legit chance at beating Anderson later this month, and if that happens oh my gosh it would be the best thing possible for the MW division. I love that we've had this undisputed king for five years now (!), but imagine how wide open things will be if he gets unseated by Okami. That would be some exciting shit. What would they do with Anderson? Immediate rematch? Or would they let the winner of Sonnen / Stann have a crack at it first? That's all probably wasted musings, since Anderson Silva will probably win, but Yushin's got a chance and it's damn exciting to think about.

As far as last night, it was a decent card I guess but it could've done with an upset or two. Nothing really unexpected happened. I was amped up when Tito was going for that guillotine too, but it didn't take long for that to get completely deflated. I knew as soon as he lost that choke that the fight was gonna end before the third. Still, yeah, I agree that Tito should get another big fight soon. Vitor winning that way was outstanding. What happens next with him is almost entirely dependent on what happens in Rio.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm a fan of Nick Pace.

Rory Macdonald has a very boring personality but he is very impressive, id like to see him fight a bigger stronger welterweight wrestler.

Brian Ebersole is awesome.

Vitor knocking Sexyama out cold with punches to the back of the head was brutal.

Rashad will get his belt back if he fights either Rampage or Jones the way he did Tito, ground and pound.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 PM
UFC Rio ruled. The crowd was unreal and easily the best UFC crowd ever. Such a crazy atmosphere I was freaking out during the last three fights. Nog getting a KO ruled. I hope they do Nog/Brock instead of Nog/Mir 2. That fight just interests me alot more. I could see them doing Schaub/Carwin and I think Schaub's chin is suspect enough that he gets KTFO again to build back up Carwin. Shogun looked awesome tonight. Forrest seemed like his heart was out of MMA in interviews before this fight and his performance tonight proved it. Anderson is easily the GOAT in MMA. GSP is a clear number 2. And Fedor is clearly number 3. I can't believe how he makes these guys look like amateurs. Okami had a good game plan in the first round but that head kick must of scrambled his brains, because he fought like an idiot in round 2. It basically became Anderson/Forrest part 2 and he got embarrased. I love watching Anderson fight. Sure the fights against Maia and Leites were terrible, but the dude's movement, speed, and technique are so fun to watch. He's in a class of his own.

Onto the other fights:

Barboza/Pearson was really good. I had Barboza winning a very close fight. I'm becoming a big fan of the guy, I hope he goes far. Palhares/Miller was a FOTYC for 2 rounds until both guys gassed from the pace they were going at. Still Round 1 was incredible with Palhares looking like the biggest idiot ever again. Paulo Thiago looked great in a dominant victory and that was a fight made by the crowd. They went apeshit for Paulo. I'm saddened that Spencer Fisher is basically done, but Tavares looked good. Cane was looking decent than got KTFO. Nedkov needs to work on his standup, but he's insanely powerful.

Amazing show

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 08-27-2011 at 11:01 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 PM
How the hell does Anderson Silva knock people out with jabs??
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canto View Post
How the hell does Anderson Silva knock people out with jabs??
He's a cyborg built by Skynet. That's the only explanation since I find myself amazed with the shit Anderson Silva does in nearly every fight.

Florian was even saying that he's a human computer.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:11 PM
My favorite part was when he just planted his feet and stood there daring Okami to try to do anything.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
So good and bad news. On one hand we have Overeem Vs. Lesnar to end the year, at least all the Overeem haters can shut up now, on who he's "ducking". On the other, Diaz and GSP is a no go, Diaz really screwed himself and now Condit gets the shot (one that I thought he actually deserved). Condit Vs. Penn was going to be awesome though, hopefully they'll save that one for the future.

Oh, and Velasquez Vs. Dos Santos on network TV, for free... does it get any better?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:25 AM
UFC 137 was going to be my first live UFC event, but with the main event getting all fucked up, I changed my mind. I'm just happy Diaz wasnt cut from the UFC, I have no idea how the fight with Penn is going to go but im sure it will be amazing.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunlopolnuD View Post
Oh, and Velasquez Vs. Dos Santos on network TV, for free... does it get any better?
It really doesn't get any better right now as a fan, but Diaz really pulled a Pinkman with this press conference. It's a wrench alright, but it's not the end of the world. Nick was stupid, Dana's overreacting, Joe Rogan's smoking weed. You gotta love the drama as a fan. MMA needs a true blue Roddy Piper and Nick Diaz fits the bill. Dana has become McMahon, and he really is a great promoter. I think it's a good fit. You can't have Hulk Hogan hogging the spotlight all the time.

I suspect that BJ and Nick are going to steal the show that night. They put the art in martial art... It's not going to be a lay and pray show. It's going to be brutal. There will be blood.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM
I was PISSED when I found out they flip flopped the fights with Diaz vs. Penn and GSP vs. Condit.

Still, Diaz vs. Penn is going to be the fight to watch over the main event, I think. Should be a very good one for sure!

I was also happy to see that Fox worked out a deal with the UFC to show some fights on network tv in November too. Very cool!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Yeah, the switch sucks, but like you said, Penn vs. Diaz could very easily be the fight of the night, or even year for that matter. I love both fighters, but I feel it's Nick's time to shine. I'd rather see him go against GSP than BJ, who I still feel won that first fight against GSP.

No matter what, I will root for Condit against GSP. I love Condit's style and he always tries to finish his fights. He really does deserve his nickname, the Natural Born Killer. Even if he loses, it'll still be a good fight simply because he's in the cage. Condit can knock out guys out and he can submit them.

This really has been a great year for MMA. I'm glad all that BS happened recently with boxing because it further cemented my decision to leave it behind and stick with MMA. MMA has the all the excitement that boxing use to have.

Now we get to see Edgar vs. Maynard 3 which I'm not too excited for. I honestly can't wait until Gilbert Melendez signs with the UFC. I think he could take either fighter.

I also hope Jose Aldo wipes the floor with Kenny Florian. I love Kenny, and I know he wants to be a champion, but if you can't cut it at your natural weight class, than you just can't cut it.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 AM
I can't stand GSP.... I hope Condit wins as well. Thing is, I KNOW GSP is as good as everyone thinks he is, or knows him to be. There's just something about him I don't like, can't put my finger on it.

BJ vs. Diaz will indeed be a great fight. I like Diaz but I love Penn. I hope BJ wins it, but won't be disappointed if he loses.

I'm fairly new to MMA (yeah, I'm a pro-wrestling 'convert') in a way, but I'm a fan of both. Just more into MMA now than I am wrestling at this point. Having said that, I don't know much about Edgar or Maynard... I did see that Dos Santos is fighting Velasquez in November when the UFC debuts on Fox. That's a fucking GREAT main event fight to put on, on your nationally televised debut! Looking forward to that one for sure.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 AM
GSP is a great athlete, but he lacks the killer instinct to be a great fighter. It's really insane because you would think a guy at his calibre would be killing everyone in his division, but it seems content just teasing fighters with his skills until the 5 rounds are over. That's why I lost interest in him as a fighter. He's too obsessed with neutralizing his opponents rather than actually beating them.

The Fox 1 event is going to be great. I see Cain taking Junior if he's 100%. I like Junior a lot, but I think maybe Nelson absorbed all his KO power. Cain can still knockout just about anybody, and go 5 rounds without breaking a sweat. That's if he's 100%. If Cain gets through Junior, I suspect he'll be the champion for a long while.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Good point about GSP. Velasquez is a fantastic fighter for sure. I'd like to see Brock get his rematch for the UFC Title.... Cop, who do you see winning the Lesnar vs. Overeem fight?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm going with Overeem. He's on a roll right now. He didn't look so hot against Werdum, but that was just an awkward fight for the both of them. Neither of them looked their best. Still, Overeem hasn't lost in a while, and he has powerful hands. Powerful enough to take out Brock Lesnar.

The only arsenal Brock has is taking Overeem down, but they're pretty much equal in strength so I can't see Brock keeping him down if he gets a takedown. 3 out of Overeem's last 7 fights ended with him submitting his opponent, and I can see that happening to Brock on the ground. The other 3 wins he had were knock outs.

I think Overeem has more skills in his bag than Brock does right now.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Well with Lesnar coming back from another bout with diverticulitis, I won't argue with your pick there. I like Overeem a lot, and I think you make some good points.

Thing is, I won't count Broke all the way out, especially with his surprising submission victory coming back from being sick/injured the first time, against big man Shane Carwin. It's going to be a fun fight to watch I think.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:31 AM
WOOOOO! My boy Machida gets the next shot at Jones! I honestly think that out of everyone in the LHW division, he has the best chance at beating Jones. With his sumo training, I don't see Jones out-wrestling Machida... so it'll be interesting to see how to completely unorthodox stand-up fighters go at it. I think it's going to be a great fight.