Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Clive Barker

I've always been curious to read anything by Clive Barker... and I've also tried to watch Hellraiser since I was a kid but Pinhead has always scared the crap out of me for some reason.

Recently, I read an omnibus of The Books of Blood (Volumes 4-6), I found it in the local library, and was blown away!! The man has an excellent writing style, and is very descriptive... he creates images that are so easy to picture in your head, and some so grotesque they're hard to forget. And he balances the fantasy/horror elements with the mundane everyday stuff really well.

Easily my favorite story was "Down, Satan" (also the shortest) about a millionaire who loses his faith and in order to draw God back to him, decides to summon the Devil so the Lord will come to his aid. So he builds a temple to revere Satan and things go pretty quickly down the toilet. Pretty creepy story and a great read, even if it is only five pages long.

Has anyone else read his stuff? Is anyone else a fan?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:49 PM
I used to be a huge Barker fan, but haven't read anything by him in quite a while. I do have fond memories of those books of his that I did read, though, even if I don't remember all the particulars of the plot and the characters as clearly as I used to.

That said, I've read: Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, The Hellbound Heart, The Damnation Game, and The Thief of Always. All where fantastic. Weaveworld and The Great and Secret Show were my favorites, and the former (mostly just because I remember it better) still ranks somewhere in my all time favorite books.

I've wanted to read Imajica, his 1000-page opus, for ages, as the fat paperback has been sitting on my bedside table at home for years now. I also want to read Coldheart Canyon, which I've heard is one of his best, and Everville, the sequel to The Great and Secret Show, though I feel I should probably reread the first at this point if I have any intention of the sequel.

I haven't read the Books of Blood, though I've heard numerous times they're great.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Weaveworld was jawdropping. Starting Damnation Game today.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Powerslave, Coldheart Canyon was a damned good read man! definitely pick it up.

i have the first volume of the Books of Blood omnibus and absolutely loved it. another good (and short) book of his to pick up if you're interested in getting into Barker is The Hellbound Heart. i've probably read that damned thing (literally haha) a half dozen times. it's the novella that inspired Hellraiser.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Love Clive Barker..I really haven't read anything of his that I haven't liked...Though I do highly rcommend reading The Great and Secret Show,Everville,Imajica, Sacrament and Weaveworld Those are probably my top 5

BTW Powerslave..Though Everville is a sequel to The Great and Secret Show its also kind of a prequel as well..it's hard to explain but you'll know once you start reading it
Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Powerslave, Coldheart Canyon was a damned good read man! definitely pick it up.
When I can, my friend. I've been meaning to get back to reading Barker for so long now, and aside from Imajica, Coldheart Canyon is at the top of the list. But oh my god is my reading list long. I mean LONG. So we'll see. But I appreciate the recommendation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
BTW Powerslave..Though Everville is a sequel to The Great and Secret Show its also kind of a prequel as well..it's hard to explain but you'll know once you start reading it
Curiouser and curiouser. Well I'm certainly interested, but like I said, I'd have to reread The Great and Secret Show anywho, so I don't know when I'll get around to Everville. But that certainly piques my interest.

Has anyone read his newest, Mister B. Gone? I've heard it's not too hot.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutesaint View Post
Weaveworld was jawdropping. Starting Damnation Game today.
Two great picks. Also, Hellbound Heart is a good starter for the simple fact that it's short and is the basis for Hellraiser.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 AM
The Inhuman Condition is the only thing I've read by Clive. Really good stories.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Sadly, I've only read the Volumes 4 and 5 of the Books of Blood and the Hellbound Heart. I need to get on reading more of his stuff as I'm a big fan and what I've read was bloody brilliant.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:41 AM
So you know then that theres a movie out called Book of Blood featuring one of the short stories developed into a feature. Its pretty cool. Very Barker-esque. Also the Midnight Meat Train is another adaptation out in the movies. I liked it too. One of the best adaptations yet. I havent seen Dread yet which is available to rent on DVD but thats another of his stories

Read Weaveworld and Imajica many years ago and found them both amazing.As well as the Books of Blood as my intro to him. What an imagination he has. Pity he's known by many for the Hellraiser films as although I'm into them, its hardly his most intellectual work. Imajica was his magnum opus at that time and its quite a read. It takes more than a few days and really brings you into these fantasy dominions you couldnt possibly dream of. But I have heard some of his later books don't measure up to his earlier genius
Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I am a big fan if Weaveworld. If you like Fantasy books that's one you have to read. I also have read some of the Books of Blood. Mainly becuase they were short and easy to read haha but I did enjoy most of the stories I read. I remember this one creepy story about a boy who was constantly abused by his father.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 PM
I first read Hellbound Heart last summer in one sitting, and I LOVED it. I was very fond with the Hellraiser movies, and I wanted to acquiant myself with his writing. Great start. I then found the Books of Blood volumes 1-3 omnibus at Half Priced Books for seven bucks, and read them over a week. To put it short, they blew me away. Clive seriously can paint an image in your head like no one else out there. I think it helps that he is an artist as well, because he makes it seems flawless.
I took a break from Clive for a while to read some other author's work, and recently came back to him to read The Thief of Always. Another winner. Reminded me of everything I loved about being a child, full of imagination and adventure. If I would have read this as a boy it probably would have been one of my favorite books. I just finished reading Under the Dome by SK, which I LOVED, so I'm ready for a fourth helping. I'm thinking about Coldheart Canyon. Seems to be a popular one on this thread.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Coldheart Canyon is both one of his goriest and sexiest novels. I definitely recommend it, especially if you're into the history of film.

PS: I'm reading Cabal right now, which belongs to the Books of Blood series. The title story, which the film (directed by Barker himself) Nightbreed was based off of, was a fun read that surpassed the film in many aspects, but the true highlight thus far is The Life of Death. I really can't wait to read The Last Illlusion, which the also-Barker directed film Lord of Illusions was derived from. Lots of goodness!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
To be honest I'm not really into Coldheart Canyon, it's kind of boring...
Granted I am about 150 pages away from the finish, but still, there really hasn't been anything that has truly knocked my socks off yet. I think Clive could have trimmed the back story on Katya at least once out of the 10+ times we read about it. I swear you cannot go 20 pages in the book without reading about her history! I get it already!

Oh well. I just received my Books of Blood Omnibus Volumes 4-6 in the mail, so I can't wait to finally finish off the Books of Blood series after I finish C.C..

Last edited by Evil Ed; 06-20-2011 at 05:43 PM..
Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
To be honest I'm not really into Coldheart Canyon, it's kind of boring...
Granted I am about 150 pages away from the finish, but still, there really hasn't been anything that has truly knocked my socks off yet. I think Clive could have trimmed the back story on Katya at least once out of the 10+ times we read about it. I swear you cannot go 20 pages in the book without reading about her history! I get it already!

Oh well. I just received my Books of Blood Omnibus Volumes 4-6 in the mail, so I can't wait to finally finish off the Books of Blood series after I finish C.C..
I loved Coldheart Canyon, but Katya was my favourite character, so perhaps it didn't irk me as it would others who were not as fond. I'm actually not as huge a fan of the Books of Blood as others seem to be, but they are great books of short stories. I must confess that the later three are the best, Cabal and The Inhuman Condition being my favourites of all six.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Huh, see I think you and I are on different sides of the street. I like the first three volumes in the Books of Blood more than I like the last three volumes.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 PM
The first three books have their share of great stories, but I got so much more of a reading experience out of the final three, personally. But that's what's great about Art, that everybody can get something different out of the same work. I'd honestly have to re-read all of the Books of Blood to get a sober opinion of them, but as of right now this is my current stance.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I really should set about re-reading The Books Of Blood sometime. I read most of the stories years ago but never returned to finish them off.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 PM
I liked your posting
))))