Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Is The Horror Genre Dying?

Seeing how little conversation on this Forum really got me to thinking about the anticipation and quality discussions that once took place on these very Boards. (Hard to imagine, I know!) I was going to open a Thread about whatever upcoming splatter flick was topping headlines, but what is this? There doesn't seem to be any! This leads me to my question, and the title of this Thread. Do you Schmoes believe the Horror Genre as we know it to be dying?

Personally, I feel it is (fatally?) crippled and struggling to keep on its feet. I think that there are a few grand pictures to seep through the cracks of the latest WB remake, but the genre's really gonna have to step it up! I mean, I think that the fans' faith has died long ago - as in years ago - and we've got a lot of catching up to do if we plan as a genre (and community here on the Boards) to keep Horror up and running.

What says all of you!?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 AM
It isn't dying...it is full of rehashes and reboots and can leave some room for desire...but it isn't going anywhere. As long as movies are made, the horror genre will be around. The horror forums here are definitely in a severe coma of sorts though, that much is for sure... I still can't believe i've been on this damn board for 10 years roughly! (and I'm only 24). Maybe i'm biased, but even if they do jump back up a bit, nothing will top how kickass these forums were back from 2002-2005. Literally nonstop posting, every 5 minutes you could log back in and find a handful of replies in every forum, creative and intelligent discussion always, almost feeling you were personal friends with some fellow board members etc.,

BUT... we all should try to out-do it! haha. Got to have faith. Not sure why exactly it happened, but I definitely don't remember this section ever being this slow.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I definitely agree, XCoryX! I think both these forums and the genre aren't going anywhere (at least I hope not), but the quality of both are suffering and there's at least one that we can help! I guess it seems that the production of Horror films (even remakes) seems to have slowed down in the past year and I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this. Of course there will always be Horror films, but I guess I'm asking the Horror fans "Does it still interest you?" And in my case, there are times when I feel like saying "Not at all."
Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
You aren't alone on that one....there has been about 5 or 6 movies to really grab me and entertain the hell out of me in the genre, over the few years... Hatchet 1 & 2, The Feast trilogy, Laid to Rest and the Hostel films.... there may be some I am missing out on off the top of my head, but besides that I just can't find much build up for anticipation anymore. Sometimes I wonder if it is due to getting older? Being a 12 year old and 16 year old horror geek was a lot different, and I think the age/times played a role too. Funny as it may sound too, I think the age of cinema plays a factor too. Everybody just streaming and downloading movies have changed the aspects of things.

I've reached this area in my movie-going, where I generally have just been latching on to the older films I already know and love, and when I DO branch out to see some new stuff, they are still older...I still have some old school horror I've yet to ever see, so rather then build up interest in a new Saw or Scream 4, I go and check out Tombs of the Blind Dead or New York Ripper for instance.

The more I look into these boards though, it is more-so the whole entire forum, not JUST the horror in my opinion, but the horror section is more of a ghost then any. I think some of the big time top contributors have grown up and went off to battle reality more-so. I definitely faded from these boards up until a week or so ago I have begun posting more often. Who knows.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM
The forums will never recover from this dry spell. The Internet has changed. Ten years ago, the web wasn't as saturated with these types of websites. Plus, the "regulars" from way back when have already talked about everything there is to talk about. These days, I mainly watch obscure stuff that I can't discuss with most fans because they haven't seen it.

Is the horror genre dying? No, but I can't stand most new releases. The older I get, the more I see the horror genre cannibalizing itself. There have always been remakes and cheap cash-ins (even dating as far back as the 20's), but the good/bad ratio is dangerously uneven right now.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM

I agree with both you guys. I think that a lot of the regulars have left to "take on life," and the Horror genre truly is cannibalizing itself. It's sad, to say the truth. I've been venturing into the classic Era of the 80's and beyond ever since I was younger, but I find my interest in modern Horror diminishing by the year. There was a time when I would see a good dozen Horror films a year, and I've only seen one in 2011! (And that was Scream 4.)

And you've got some great taste, Cory! The Hatchet and Feast series are both favourites of mine! I've yet to see Laid To Rest, mainly because I've always considered it to be some churned out STD flick such as Midnight Movie, but the more I hear about it the more interest I have.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
I can't agree with the statement that the horror genre is dying but fresh ideas are certainly lacking and nothing truly scary seems to be made any more. It all seems like shock value and even that is pretty mild compared to most. Expectations are lower for those of us who came from the golden era of horror.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
Seeing how little conversation on this Forum really got me to thinking about the anticipation and quality discussions that once took place on these very Boards. (Hard to imagine, I know!) I was going to open a Thread about whatever upcoming splatter flick was topping headlines, but what is this? There doesn't seem to be any! This leads me to my question, and the title of this Thread. Do you Schmoes believe the Horror Genre as we know it to be dying?

Personally, I feel it is (fatally?) crippled and struggling to keep on its feet. I think that there are a few grand pictures to seep through the cracks of the latest WB remake, but the genre's really gonna have to step it up! I mean, I think that the fans' faith has died long ago - as in years ago - and we've got a lot of catching up to do if we plan as a genre (and community here on the Boards) to keep Horror up and running.

What says all of you!?
I think we've got some quality movies upcoming. Yeah, Romero is "dead", he's lost his touch, but there is plenty to be excited about. Just...not this year I guess.

I mean there is going to be a sequel to Friday the 13th at some point, no way around it, it was too successful to spin its wheels in limbo forever. That'll be huge around here.

28 Months Later ought to pop up one of these days, and World War Z should be pretty huge.

I think the horror genre goes through these dips where PG13 "horror" such as Twilight is big, and no one wants to take a chance with the R rated stuff. Then something like Scream comes along and makes R movies sound cool again.

I have faith we'll see horror rebound, we're just stuck in a plateau right now. Saw 12 and crap like that has soured the public, which it really is their own fault for going to Saw 1-11.

And Rob Zombie. I honestly think he ruined a lot of people's expectations of quality horror with his Halloween abominations. That fact he was allowed to shit those out with major studio backing kind of felt like a betrayal to movie goers. I mean no matter how bad a movie is in a theater, it is rarely so bad as the crap Zombie makes.

And I think he had the last great discussion on this forum--the vitriol between us Halloween haters and the three people in the world who liked it.

Last edited by SteeleDude; 08-02-2011 at 12:27 AM..
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 AM
As someone who's seen/written a lot about horror but never necessarily been a fan, I have to say that the genre has rarely been as exciting as it is now. The remakes and sequels don't make it seem that way, but that today's horror filmmakers are people who grew up watching the genre films of yesteryear and are, in part at least, delivering unique spins on old stories makes things interesting. I don't think we could have had a Fido back in the '80s, and if we did, I'm not sure it would have been as great of a success.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 PM
That's an interesting - and surprisingly optimistic view on the state of Horror, A.J. It's good to see some hope for the genre from a fan, something that I personally can no longer claim to have in abundance.

Speaking of which, and in order to give this rather general discussion a (more?) interesting turn, on top of your thoughts of the genre as a whole, what have been some greats as of the last five years or so that have really pleased all of you as Horror fans? Here are some of mine:

INSIDE,
Martyrs,
Hatchet/Spiral/Feast films (as listed above),
The Mist,
Antichrist,
Drag Me To Hell,
Scream 4 was okay,
umm...that may be it off the top of my head!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 AM
No. This genre will never die. That's like saying comedy will die. Horror will never die, not as long as horror books are being written, horrible things keep happening in the world, and Halloween is still a holiday. Horror is too deep in the roots of humanity, it will never die.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't think it's dying, but it's in a bit of a strange place. There has been some terrific foreign horror and smaller films over the past handful of years, but unless you are a horror fan who comes on boards like these or goes to festivals and finds out about movies like these, you're not going to be seeing them.

What I am noticing is that some of these directors that are making these fantastic horror films are starting to get opportunities in America. Directors like Park Chan-wook, Kim Jee-woon and Pascal Laugier are currently in the process of making American horror and/or action films. Hopefully this migration will continue.

In terms of other American horror, there really isn't a whole lot coming out. There is the yearly Final Destination entry, your typical remakes (like Straw Dogs) and only a few bright spots to be seen.

Here is what is upcoming that looks promising:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
Contagion
Take Shelter
Red State
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
The Cabin in the Woods
Dark Shadows
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
World War Z

And half of those aren't even what I would consider full-on horror films. And with the exception of a couple of those, I don't see any of them spawning some new horror craze.

So at this point, all you can do is seek out some smaller stuff (watch out for reactions from Midnight Madness films at the Toronto Film Festival) and hope that one day a movie hits that starts a horror trend other than a slew of sequels.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Personally i think i've been spoiled from at least 1999, ever since Blair Witch was released.

There have been a number of excellent to classic horror films released since that time and not just Us offerings.

I'll even go back to 1997's Habit as the start of an unprecedented streak of horror goodness. Freak, through Cemetery Man from 1994 in there also.

I would have to think about it a bit but if you make a list of some excellent genre offerings from even the past 20 years, the list would be quite impressive.

Ever see Brotherhood of the Wolf ? Well, you should , it's an amazing film from 2001 made in France. That same director took on the Silent Hill film adaptation in 2005 . Both terrific horror films.

What about some of the string of remakes in the 00s, Texas Chainsaw, Dawn of the Dead, The Crazies, all great films. I even thoroughly enjoyed the Friday the 13th remake.

Rec 1 and 2, great films with part 2 the superior experience in my opinion, my nerves were jangled for 2 days after seeing that film. The American remake was also highly effective as was it's sequel, to a lesser extent.

Paranormal Activity, the first one and it's sequel, both clever takes on the tired ghost story genre and scary also.

Shaun of the Dead, a classic, Hot Fuzz, another potential classic. I'll include the episode of Danger 50,000 volts when they describe how to deal with zombies in my praise of great horror because it was made by Frost and Pegg.

High Tension ( Haute Tension ), reinvigorated the slasher genre and inspired a slew of French horror films in it's wake , most of which were highly effective.

Tale of Two Sisters from S Korea, creepy as all hell. The Eye by the Pang brothers from Hong Kong, let's put it this way, riding an elevator may never be the same experience after you see that film, the entire film is a total creepfest.

The Ring films and the remake, may seem silly now but they were pretty damn chilling at the time.

The Grudge films, liked them all.

Kairo from Kiyosho Kurosawa, it's a master class in suspense, foreboding and one of the most effective apocalyptic films i've ever seen.

Yeah i know, some people hate them but i love the Res Evil series, i haven't been let down yet.

Zombie Diaries, loved it, Diary of the Dead was excellent and Land of the Dead is one of my favorite films in the zombie subgenre.

What about Dark Water from Japan? It's a must see if you enjoy ghost stories.

I'll even chuck in Urban Ghost story from 1998 i think it was, what a heartbreaking film that was with a phenomenal performance from a girl who was starring in her first film.

Yeah, i'm all over the map with this post, i'll make a more comprehensive and coherent one in the future, i just wanted to spout out the fact that we have been spoiled by some excellent horror films for a long time now ( from the early 90s to the present ), i don't see it dying anytime soon, they are out there, sometimes you just have to do a bit of research.

I do have to add one of the most mind numbingly entertaining experiences you could ever hope to have if you enjoy grade z horror, Birdemic, i was never the same after that film, it's a genuine classic of ineptitude.

The Others, awesome "haunted" house film

Lake Placid, Rogue, Piranha 3d for your nature gone wild fix... allright, enough rambling for now
Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Great to see some optimism, Dellamore! I've seen quite a few of those films and agree that there are quite a few decent Horror films to have been released in the last decade. Out of curiosity, what did you think of The Grudge 3, since you claim to have enjoyed all of them? I haven't seen that one, but I enjoyed the first two.

Also, when speaking of the Pang Brothers, you must never leave out their great Re-Cycle. I adore that work of Art.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Just a quickie post:

I wouldn't say the horror genre is dying, to me it seems more like horror (or atleast the GOOD horror) has gone back to its roots: the indy scene. Because it's gone back to the indy scene, alot of stuff I think is getting missed by people. I myself have just gone back and watched all the horrror offerings of one Adam Green (Hatchet, Frozen, Spiral). With guys like Green, James Wan, (Saw, Dead Silence, Insidious), and the folks behind Paranormal Activity, the future of horror looks bright.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:34 PM
I love Adam Green. I think he really is what the Horror genre needed when he arrived on the scene and from having spoken with him, he's a really down to Earth guy that takes a lot more time out of his day for fans than most others would. Oh, and his films are all great. I like James Wan, but the only film of his that really won me over, to be honest, was SAW. imo Paranormal Activity was wretched, but to each their own.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Quote:
imo Paranormal Activity was wretched, but to each their own.
The director is Oren Peli, and he also worked on Insidious with James Wan & Co. I think his other works outside of Paranormal Activity (most of which he's just getting started on) are certainly worth a look in the future.

Upcoming he has Area 51 later this year, and he's also going to work on Lords of Salem with Rob Zombie. Of course Paranormal Activity 3 is also on the way.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:17 AM
I knew that he worked with James Wan and Whannell on Insidious, but I wasn't aware that he had a hand in Lords of Salem. I think it goes without showing that I wasn't impressed with Insidious at all, especially with my review on these forums being rather harsh, but it's good to see people's interest reinvigorating in the Horror genre - even if I don't concur.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
I knew that he worked with James Wan and Whannell on Insidious, but I wasn't aware that he had a hand in Lords of Salem. I think it goes without showing that I wasn't impressed with Insidious at all, especially with my review on these forums being rather harsh, but it's good to see people's interest reinvigorating in the Horror genre - even if I don't concur.
I take it you're not big on the ghosts/exorcism/hauntings side of the horror genre?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I love that side of the genre, actually! It was one of the sub-genres to really pull me into Horror. My main beef are the surreal slashers genre such as A Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser (great Avy, by the way), Phantasm, or Suspiria, but I appreciate just about every branch of the Horror genre that's out there. I love a good haunted house, as I'm sure everyone around these boards does, but I feel that Paranormal Activity was a gimmick (and a poorly executed one at that - I could clearly tell that this was filmed with actors and such just by all of the cuts and different angles in it) and Insidious was just underwhelming. Those are just my opinions, and I've stated my opinions on them, but I'd love for a great supernatural chiller to come and slap me in the face someday soon!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:58 PM
The first Paranormal Activity film was the first horror film I screened during which members of the audience actually fled the theatre, (obviously from the big boo scare at the end.) I said when it came out that if you didn't stay until the very end you would probably think the film sucks. The entire film was build up for one big boo scare. Sure the majority of the film suffered for it, but I thought the payoff was decent enough. Could the payoff have been better? Certainly, but the one they went with did the job nicely.

As for my avatar, nice you recognised it. I was initially going to go with the original film (photo), but I figured this drawing I found would be less disturbing to people on these forums that aren't as keen on gore as I am.

Last edited by TheGorehound; 08-13-2011 at 04:02 PM..
Old 08-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Perhaps I would have appreciated it more had I remained through the entire film, but the first fifteen minutes were so insufferably hokey that I really couldn't torture myself sitting through an entire hour of it. Perhaps it had a great ending, but a great ending does not always excuse the entire film. Seems like you're well aware of that, though.

How about some other recent Horror gems that we have yet to find in the troughs? Anybody?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Perhaps I would have appreciated it more had I remained through the entire film, but the first fifteen minutes were so insufferably hokey that I really couldn't torture myself sitting through an entire hour of it. Perhaps it had a great ending, but a great ending does not always excuse the entire film. Seems like you're well aware of that, though.

How about some other recent Horror gems that we have yet to find in the troughs? Anybody?
Yep, exactly what I was saying. If you only watched 15 min of yes, it will come off as an utter borefest. I myself was wondering at first when the hell something interesting was going to happen. Eventually I kind of got the picture that they were building up for something big. Try watching it again, and you really have to watch closely. As things start to happen, they happen very slowly so you have to pay attention to notice them at first.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:42 PM
This thread, when glanced at, just confirms that these BOARDS are lacking love. I don't ever expect to have it as non-stop as it was before social networking and such got so huge, but man, its insane being able to scroll down these forums, and within 6 topics go back to almost a year ago. I remember going on these boards, posting 10-11 times, coming back on a half hour later and having most discussed big time with more posts.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Perhaps I shall give PA another chance, Gore, if for nothing else to post a review for your entertainment.

And I agree, Cory. Today the Boards seem to be more alive than I've seen them in weeks thanks to a few Threads such as this. I think if we can just keep conversation alive, then more and more people will begin joining in as we find more topics to discuss and the Forums become alive again. It's in our hands to pick this place back up to shape.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Totally agree. I've been slowly trying in my free time to bump up old threads and throw out more replies of mine.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, same here, even for films that I haven't seen I'll drop a sentence or two in order to bump that Last Post date - while still contributing as much as I can, of course. I think that there's still a lot of interest in Horror and the Forums still have life in them, we just have to give it that jolt of life in order for it to stand on its own feet in time and thrive again. So let's get posting! Reviews! Obscure Horror films! Horror films we've all seen a hundred times! Threads about directors, actors, and even special effects gurus! We need it all, people!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 AM
I would say that the genre has officially died and has been brought back to life as a different beast. Everything that used to be popular topics, especially the older old-school franchises, have been buried and replaced. Or, they have been buried and have yet to be replaced. After the remake of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" in 2003, all bets were off and a new era was coming. It seems that newer technology has slowed down traffic here, but I also think the constant reboots (as worthy as some of them are) has caused many fans to lose interest in the forums as well.

I miss how much more active and fun it used to be, especially in 2003 with FvJ going on. That is a pivotal flashpoint for me. I never even knew about the FvJ rumors until late 2002, but the early-to-mid 2000's are a wonderful time period to reflect on with numerous topics and conversations, some I still remember well. It's tough to recall when everything signifigantly slowed down.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Good call on that timeframe... the FvJ talk was indeed awesome.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Aww, man. I miss all that FvJ talk and I wasn't even here. I remember irl everybody was talking about it. That film was huge! And the camp Hack/Slash, the faux-press conference ala a boxing match interviews, the promotion was so much fun. Good times.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
I would say that the genre has officially died and has been brought back to life as a different beast. Everything that used to be popular topics, especially the older old-school franchises, have been buried and replaced. Or, they have been buried and have yet to be replaced. After the remake of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" in 2003, all bets were off and a new era was coming. It seems that newer technology has slowed down traffic here, but I also think the constant reboots (as worthy as some of them are) has caused many fans to lose interest in the forums as well.

I miss how much more active and fun it used to be, especially in 2003 with FvJ going on. That is a pivotal flashpoint for me. I never even knew about the FvJ rumors until late 2002, but the early-to-mid 2000's are a wonderful time period to reflect on with numerous topics and conversations, some I still remember well. It's tough to recall when everything signifigantly slowed down.

I would go back slightly farther to include 1999 where we had two excellent horror flicks The Blair Witch Project and The Sixth Sense.

And man, 2003 was awesome. Not only for Freddy Vs Jason but one of my favorite horror movies of the decade which was the ingenious psychological horror flick Identity. God, I love that movie so much!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM
We still get a great exceptional horror movie from time to time though. Last year we got Frozen and Buried and both of those are great, especially Buried.

Was also impressed with Monsters and much to my surprise since I hated the first film, Paranormal Activity 2.

Although it goes off the rails in the 3rd act, Splice was pretty cool for it's two thirds.

And I REALLY liked The Crazies and Daybreakers. Two very cool, very solid flicks.

That was last year.

2009 had some highlights as well. I may be in the minority but I loved the My Bloody Valentine remake and I think the Friday the 13th reboot is a massive improvement on the original. Then there was Orphan which I thought would be horrible but I actually ended up damn near loving it. Drag Me to Hell is a hell of a lot of fun. Predictable to be sure, but still wicked cool and funny as well. And Zombieland was so much fun too!

2008 was a bit of a down year. I did enjoy The Eye remake with Jessica Alba that I know most people did not like. Not much else of note from that year.

2007 had The Mist and 1408 and Vacancy and 28 Weeks Later and Mr. Brooks and Them (Ils) and Dead Silence and some underrated fare like P2 and The Invasion and The Hitcher remake and the dopey but fun AVP: Requiem.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Your idea of a horror movie spans much wider than my own. MUCH wider.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
We still get a great exceptional horror movie from time to time though. Last year we got Frozen and Buried and both of those are great, especially Buried.

Was also impressed with Monsters and much to my surprise since I hated the first film, Paranormal Activity 2.

Although it goes off the rails in the 3rd act, Splice was pretty cool for it's two thirds.

And I REALLY liked The Crazies and Daybreakers. Two very cool, very solid flicks.

That was last year.

2009 had some highlights as well. I may be in the minority but I loved the My Bloody Valentine remake and I think the Friday the 13th reboot is a massive improvement on the original. Then there was Orphan which I thought would be horrible but I actually ended up damn near loving it. Drag Me to Hell is a hell of a lot of fun. Predictable to be sure, but still wicked cool and funny as well. And Zombieland was so much fun too!

2008 was a bit of a down year. I did enjoy The Eye remake with Jessica Alba that I know most people did not like. Not much else of note from that year.

2007 had The Mist and 1408 and Vacancy and 28 Weeks Later and Mr. Brooks and Them (Ils) and Dead Silence and some underrated fare like P2 and The Invasion and The Hitcher remake and the dopey but fun AVP: Requiem.
I really need to see Frozen, I just adore Adam Green's works, and I hear that's his best yet. Splice seems cool, but I didn't like The Crazies much at all. It had a few moments, but it was far, very very far from impressing me. My Bloody Valentine was alright, even though I wasn't too pleased when I first saw it, but the original is one of my favourite slashers so I was touchy at the time, especially with the great unrated release given that year. Umm...Friday the 13th remake, no thanks. You can have Zombievictim vouch for me on that one, because Hell knows we've debated it enough. I haven't seen Orphan, but Drag Me To Hell was the most fun I've had in a theater for a long time, I even went to see it twice! Once with my father and once with three friends, and I rarely go to the theater, let alone see the same movie twice! Zombieland was good too, but I wasn't as enamored with it as many were, but it was a good time. Notgonnalie, I didn't like the Hitcher remake either, but Sophia Bush is a doll.

I hope you don't take this rambling the wrong way, I'm not trying to insult or demean your opinion. I just thought it would be fun to compare them!

Let's see, The Mist was great, and 1408 didn't suck as bad as I thought it would when I first saw it. In comparison to Stephen King's wonderfully tense, claustrophobic short story it pales, but it was a neat watch. I wasn't a fan of the original 28 Days Later, so when I loved 28 Weeks, I was pretty surprised.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombievictim View Post
Your idea of a horror movie spans much wider than my own. MUCH wider.
Most of them are definitely horror flicks but I will admit that a few of them skirt the line of being horror or just being a thriller (Mr. Brooks, Vacancy, ect.).

Two great movies that I almost included but didn't since they are too on the line are Shutter Island and Zodiac. Especially Zodiac. Shutter Island at least has some frightening moments at least but Zodiac was definitely more of a thriller. Another movie I didn't include that's right on the line is Black Swan. It's a psychological thriller but there are definitely horror elements/scenes in it.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 PM
The horror genre in general isn't dying but the answer is twofold.

1. from an Hollywood PoV , its pretty much dead .... Hollywood is still stuck in the 80s with the "slasher movie" mentality. The 80s were a great decade for the genre in Hollywood with Jason , Michael Myers and Freddy taking the lead damage in horror blockbuster movie. 90s were stale ( some hits *wink wink Scream* , most misses ) , 00s were full of hommage , adaptation and remake ( yes J-horror was cool when the original was out in Japan 4 years ago and 70s/80s movies were excellent in the 70/80s, Hatchet was good but still an hommage to the 80s , the first Saw had a good gory twist ).

2. from a non-Hollywood PoV , it's still thriving. One of the reason is that outside the "Hollywood system" , directors make the movie they wanna make for better or worst. Blair Witch Project & Paranormal Activity are very low horror budget horror movies but that 1-2 scare they give you is very much worth it ( imo that's why they worked). The big picture still lies outside out the USA tho . Im sorry to say this to all my american friends but Hollywood has got everything to gain to keep the competition out of their territory ( start with $ and ends with $ ) .... they can inject 100M$ to buy the rights to do a remake but they will never capture the original director view of the movie. If you think the 5-6 J-Horror movie remakes were "awesome" , i dare you to watch one that hasn't been remade yet ( like the Audition from Takashi Miike ). Another example would be the original "Let the right one in ( yes that one has been remade but im pretty sure you didnt see a close-up of Chloe Moretz's "sewed horizontal pussy" in that one )

My point is that option #2 directors arent gunning for the "scare-a-minute" record , they just write a relatively good story and place a good scare here and there. BTW those scare works.

On that note , i will admit that Scream 4 was better than the 3rd one but the ending really wasn't great ... so Scream 1 > Scream 2 > Scream 4 > Scream 3

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 08-17-2011 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: gratuitous pic of Neve
Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM
As long as the world doesn't end, horror won't be dying anytime soon. I'm sure this discussion happen back in the early-mild 1990's when the genre was in it's worst shape it's ever been in the genre history. Then Scream came out and BANG, horror became relevant to the general public again. It's better to wait what happeneds next then just write off the genre completely.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
The horror genre will never die. That thrill of wanting to be scared never goes away. As long as we celebrate Halloween, there will be horror. There are some dreadful horror movies out there, but I think it helps us to appreciate the gems even more. I own quite a few bad horror films that not everyone would have the patience to sit through, but I do so anyway for entertainment or nostalgic purposes. For instance, I am in no way a fan of the Saw series, but 20 years from now I might look back and think, "Wasn't it cool that there was a new one every Halloween?" Tradition, if you will. Sure, there are some current trends in the genre that are slowly dying out, but there is always a chance for something new to come out and make our hearts race.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 AM
For me i've been spoiled these last ten years and i can't complain, if anything there are too many interesting horror films to watch. I'm dying to see Eaters, a relatively new zombie film offering from Italy, looks like an awesome homage to those 80s Italo horror films, and i still want to see the last two films Bruno Matei ( Vincent Dawn ) directed, should be delightfully awful .

You know what made some of these films special in the past, i think, was the venue you watched them in.

We always had the mainstream, safe for the masses horror films but it was so great to have a theater that would show unrated or X rated horror films close by when i was growing up.

Nobody would show a film like Evil Dead or Gates of Hell except this theater i used to frequent, it was a joy and an adventure for a young horror fan. There was even a mainstream theater that showed Pieces and Maniac, we don't get that communal experience anymore as fans of horror.

My point is that the means of distribution may have changed but horror is as healthy as it's ever been, you just have to search for what's out there. With all these distractions available today some greatness can be overlooked, i just want one of those cheap theaters to make a comeback so i can watch something like Eaters on the big screen, it would be an event for me, sticky floor, urine smelling, 3 day old popcorn, terrible projection quality and all.

If i had a couple of extra bucks laying around i would open a theater that showed only horror movies, each and every one that was released and i would have midnite shows also, and i would show some of the classics, a different one every weekend. There are a couple places like this but there's simply not enough of them. I would open at 11 am and not close down until at least 2 or 3 in the morning . A popcorn maker would be a must also, freak that bagged bullshit. Hot Dogs ( sold and cooked from a hot dog cart ), candy, nachos, and horror movie memorabilia would also be available for sale

We need to make horror movies the experience it was in the past when we enjoyed the shocks and or the cheese on display with other fellow horror fans and we discovered hidden gems not available at the mainstream theaters
Old 08-25-2011, 03:49 PM
That'd be great to go too. Unfortunately, I live in such a small town that there really never were any of those theaters, nor is there any hope for one ever opening. Hypothetically, for your theater, you would also need a little stand of dvd's of whatever classic you're playing that weekend for theatergoers to purchase on their way out!