Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Eaters of the Dead

Has anyone read this, here? I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and I need a book to read at the beach. I loved the film, and I've been wanting to read a Crichton book (I've yet to read one). I'm kind of tired of my usual slew of writers and wanted to jump into some of Crichton's work. Any thoughts? Reviews?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
I read it many years ago. I liked it. Not very long either so a good quick read.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna check it out, it's only $5 anyway. I was going to go with a Peter Benchley book, but being at the beach, it's probably not the best idea to grab some aquatic horror!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Finished it last night, didn't like it. The writing style got very annoying. Picked up Jurassic Park/The Lost World in the complete edition for 5 bucks, loving it so far.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 AM
So I finished Jurassic Park, and I'm about 100 pages out from Lost World. Jurassic Park was awesome. Completely different than the movie. After reading the book I would not be opposed to a remake at all. The Lost World, completely different from the movie as well, but not as good as Jurassic Park.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 PM
I loved Jurassic Park but did not like The Lost World as much. I read a lot of Crichton's books about 10+ years ago so maybe now I would like The Lost World but I probably won't re-read it.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:20 PM
I read it many years ago, I loved!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 PM
I didn't like Eaters of the Dead when I read it 15 or so years ago. I love Vikings, but I think I was hoping for something supernatural, not the story of Beowulf retold in a historically realistic way. The identity of the eaters always seemed boring to me...though in retrospect it is pretty fantastic I guess.

Still, I wanted something more fantasy oriented. A good Viking story with real magic, but neanderthals? Ehhhhh...it'd be like a dragon story where you found out the dragon was a T Rex. It'd be cool, but not as cool as a dragon. Or even worse, a dragon story where you found out the dragon was just a column of neanderthals carrying torches.