Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Final Destination 5 - 7.5/10
Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM

8/10
Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
The Beaver 6/10
Old 09-01-2011, 05:55 PM
world is not enough[1999]

3/5

good action but thats all
Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Big Fish

Maybe Tim Burton's best movie. 9.5/10
Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Fringe: The Complete First Season

One of the coolest genre shows to come along since the X-Files and Lost, and so much more than just the twisted, gnarled offspring of those two hits. Or what I assumed it to be, at first. The first ten or so episodes do kinda fall into a pattern (or the pattern, if you wanna get cute) of case by case, week by week X-Files-esque intrigue, but by the midpoint of the season the overarching storyline about who or what might be behind all the strange phenomena comes into sharper focus. And by the time Jared Harris shows up as mysterious biotech terrorist David Robert Jones, the show finally finds its footing where the episodic and serial elements find perfect harmony. Then it caps it off in true Abrams fashion with a finale cliffhanger that compelled me to jump right into S2. But honestly, that all said, having a show at all is almost irrelevant sometimes – I could just watch John Noble as the eccentric Dr. Walter Bishop tinkering around in his lab for forty minutes at a pop and be thoroughly entertained. Will there ever come a time when I’ll get tired of his sporadic outbursts of pointless but hilarious trivia or him happily munching licorice while probing through human brains? I sincerely doubt it. I also love Anna Torv's Olivia Dunham as the female badass of the group, and unlike Abrams’s other leading lady Evangeline Lilly on Lost, she’s a believable action heroine who I bought up front as a chick who could lay down some serious hurt on someone with some Judo magic. Evey in comparison never could convince me that Kate could kick anyone’s ass. Dunham? I’d say “Yes, ma’am” and avoid eye contact if I got on her bad side.

-> 8/10
Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
Fringe: The Complete First Season

One of the coolest genre shows to come along since the X-Files and Lost, and so much more than just the twisted, gnarled offspring of those two hits. Or what I assumed it to be, at first. The first ten or so episodes do kinda fall into a pattern (or the pattern, if you wanna get cute) of case by case, week by week X-Files-esque intrigue, but by the midpoint of the season the overarching storyline about who or what might be behind all the strange phenomena comes into sharper focus. And by the time Jared Harris shows up as mysterious biotech terrorist David Robert Jones, the show finally finds its footing where the episodic and serial elements find perfect harmony. Then it caps it off in true Abrams fashion with a finale cliffhanger that compelled me to jump right into S2. But honestly, that all said, having a show at all is almost irrelevant sometimes – I could just watch John Noble as the eccentric Dr. Walter Bishop tinkering around in his lab for forty minutes at a pop and be thoroughly entertained. Will there ever come a time when I’ll get tired of his sporadic outbursts of pointless but hilarious trivia or him happily munching licorice while probing through human brains? I sincerely doubt it. I also love Anna Torv's Olivia Dunham as the female badass of the group, and unlike Abrams’s other leading lady Evangeline Lilly on Lost, she’s a believable action heroine who I bought up front as a chick who could lay down some serious hurt on someone with some Judo magic. Evey in comparison never could convince me that Kate could kick anyone’s ass. Dunham? I’d say “Yes, ma’am” and avoid eye contact if I got on her bad side.

-> 8/10

Oh, the first season is good but it just gets even better and better as it goes along. Season 2 is awesome but it's season 3 where the show really truly hit it's stride. Season 3 was amazing! And I'm DYING with anticipation for season 4 especially because of season 3 ended.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Oh, the first season is good but it just gets even better and better as it goes along. Season 2 is awesome but it's season 3 where the show really truly hit it's stride. Season 3 was amazing! And I'm DYING with anticipation for season 4 especially because of season 3 ended.
I watched a couple episodes of S2 before I posted that review, actually, and the awesome first episode back makes me trust your word on this. But it's definitely the kind of show that creates a compulsive viewing habit. I feel myself twitching to watch the next one as I type this, it's just a hell of a lot of mindbending fun.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Red State - 7/10

Not a complete return to form for Smith, but it's a vast improvement over the awful Cop Out and his best directorial effort yet. It feels kind of like two different movies (in a Full Metal Jacket kind of way). On an entertainment and enjoyment level, I preferred the first half. It's genuinely unsettling and really intense. The part where Nick Braun escapes and finds "the room" is both crowd pleasing and devastating simultaneously. The second half is probably the more intelligent, meaningful half, but it has some pacing issues and is a little all over the place. The ending, however, is pretty damn awesome (though I can see it turning some people off) and the final scene is pretty hilarious. Performance wise, the three teens were all pretty good, especially Kyle Gallner. John Goodman is great as usual and delivers some awesome one-liners. Melissa Leo plays the bitch that you love to hate to perfection, though doesn't get enough screen time. Michael Parks steals the show though. His calm performance is downright chilling and the sermon he delivers in the early parts of the movie is brilliantly written and delivered. Stylistically, it's Smith's most impressive film yet. The way he moves the camera here makes for some really intense moments. When Michael Angarano's character is running around trying to escape from Cooper's clan the way Smith directs and edits it provides a really claustrophobic feeling. So, while this isn't Smith's best film by a long shot, it shows that he still knows how to make an incredibly entertaining and socially relevant film. If you're a fan of Smith, see it, and if you're a fan of horror films that have something to say, see it.

Oh yeah, and I also dug the Breaking Bad cast involvement here. Anna Gunn is in it briefly, but Matt L. Jones (Badger) totally steals a couple of scenes.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-06-2011 at 06:39 PM..
Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Arrowsmith with Ronald Colman and Helen Hayes - The story of a dedicated doctor and his possible discovery of a vaccine. The story really picks up in the second half when he travels to the West Indies to try to stop an outbreak of plague. The one thing I didn't care for was Myrna Loy being underutilized - I would have liked to see the relationship between her and Colman developed more. 7/10

A Kiss Before Dying with Robert Wagner and Joanne Woodward - A young man wants to marry into a family for its fortune. When things don't go exactly as planned he tries to kill the girl and move on to her sister. Wagner was really good at playing a charming psychopath. I also liked the sister who begins to suspect he is not the wonderful person everyone else seems to think and tries to discover what really happened in his past. 8/10
Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Ocean's Thirteen (Steven Soderbergh, 2007) C+
Much like its predecessor, the plot is very convoluted. The characters aren't really as fleshed-out in this one, and the heist is really complex and only gets more complex. There's so much going on, it's hard to really follow it all. Seeing the heist play itself out is cool, but the buildup (which encompasses most of the film) is confusing and boring.

Ice Age (Chris Wedge/Carlos Saldanha, 2002) B
It's not a particularly memorable computer-animated film, but it's still fun. The animation is really good and I like the voice work by Ray Romano as the Manny the mammoth, John Leguizamo as Sid the sloth, and Dennis Leary as Diego the saber-toothed cat. The squirrel Scrat is also very funny in his little aside scenes.

9 (Shane Acker, 2009) C
I was really excited for this film and I saw it the day it came out (the first day of my freshman year of high school, actually), and boy was I disappointed. The 2005 short film by Shane Acker was really cool (the feature-length film is based on it). The animation in the short film was fantastic and the film was suspenseful. The feature-length film introduced voice acting, most of which was average at best, and the plot was almost nonexistent. The animation was great, though, as was the atmosphere, and the creature designs exuded creativity. However, that didn't save the film from being a mediocre, story-free romp around an overused post-apocalyptic setting.

Get Him to the Greek (Nicholas Stoller, 2010) A-
This was easily the funniest movie of 2010. Russell Brand is hilarious in this one, and Sean Combs also delivers the laughs. I enjoyed every single character, and the laughs come frequently. I especially love the Las Vegas segment on the film. The only downside comes in the form of one of the later scenes involving an awkward threesome. The scene itself is also very awkward and kind of uncomfortable to watch, as well as completely unnecessary. Other than that, it's a very funny movie that I can enjoy even on the fifth viewing (which this was).
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Gigantic

6/10
Old 09-02-2011, 12:20 AM

The Beaver - 7/10

Finally got around to seeing this. I had read the script back a while ago before it hit theatres, but it never ended up expanding wide enough to play near me, due to its failure at the box-office. One thing is for sure, Gibson gives the best lead performance of the year so far. All jokes about his personal life aside, he really nails the descent from depression to absolute madness. Tonally, I think Foster nailed it better than even the script did. While reading the script I was worried that some of the tonal issues it had would be amplified on screen, but the few comedic aspects that were in the script have been stripped down to give the film a very melancholic tone throughout. Aside from Gibson's performance, Foster is very good, but Anton Yelchin and Jennifer Lawrence are terrific and have great chemistry. Their subplot was my favorite part of the script and they really did a brilliant job of bringing that authentic relationship off the page. The film isn't perfect though. The climax is extremely powerful and emotionally draining, but they wrap it up so quickly that it makes it seem like the consequence is less severe than it really is. I realize you have to pander to the mainstream a bit in order to make your money back, but this film was never going to make money so they should have gone a little further with it. Overall though, I really liked it and while the Academy will never have the balls to recognize it, Gibson's performance will surely make my personal list for best leading performance at the end of the year.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - 10/10

Each time I watch this it crawls closer and closer to being my top film from 2000-2009. The Departed still holds the title and probably always will, but this has now surpassed the likes of There Will Be Blood, Requiem for a Dream, No Country for Old Men, among others. It mixes the meditative nature of a Malick film with the paranoia of a Coen Brothers film. A film that strips down the legends and myths of these iconic figures and presents you with the real characters and all of their flaws. An absolute fucking masterpiece.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-02-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 AM

Colombiana(2011)-6/10
Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 AM
X-Men: First Class

8.5/10

Everything Must Go

7/10

Last edited by Canto; 09-02-2011 at 04:27 AM..
Old 09-02-2011, 10:09 AM
The Getaway (64) 7
Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM

Attack the Block - 7/10

Really good fun, but not quite funny or scary enough to reach the likes of some of the great British horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead. The direction is really solid and stylish (very impressive for only a $13 million budget) and the performances are all very good. John Boyega, the kid who plays Moses, just got a role in a Spike Lee HBO series, and this doesn't surprise me in the slightest; the kid has talent. I also really dug the score. There are a few big laughs and a few really intense moments (Jerome lost in the smoke), but like I said before, there aren't quite enough laughs or scares for me to be raving about the film. I still definitely recommend it though. See it with an audience if you can. I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to.

Super - 6/10

It's pretty messy, but very entertaining at times. It takes a while to get going (which is never a good thing in a 90 minute movie), but once Ellen Page hits the screen, the movie really takes off and gets pretty insane. The thing I didn't like was that it has some pretty huge tonal issues. One minute it's a dark comedy, the next it's trying to gain your sympathy. The dark comedy part works the best, and the rest... not so much. Liv Tyler is pretty much useless here and although Kevin Bacon hams it up, it's kind of painful to watch him. Wilson and Page steal the show. I imagine this would have been better to watch with a large, rowdy audience, but I mildly enjoyed it nonetheless. It's certainly no Kick-Ass.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-02-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 PM
The Sopranos: Season 2 (Various, 2000)

The first season of this show (despite all the hype and expectation) blew me away and whilst this show wasn't quite as impressive its still one of the most interesting, thought-provoking and humorous seasons of television I've come across. David Proval stands out as the addition to the cast, a few episodes in I realised he played a character that is the exact opposite of Richie Aprile in an episode of The West Wing - fantastic actor, fantastic show.
9/10
Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Le Jour se Leve with Jean Gabin and Arletty - This is the original French film that was remade as The Long Night that I saw a few days ago. I much prefer Gabin in the lead role compared to Henry Fonda but Arletty and Vincent Price were about equal. This film also set the mood better and the ending was fantastic. 8/10

A Fine Madness with Sean Connery and Joanne Woodward - Connery is a frustrated poet prone to violent outbursts who also has financial and woman problems. He did a really good job as did many of the supporting players even if they weren't developed as fully as they could have been. The final scene was pretty funny too with that accidental punch and all of those people pissed at him. 8/10
Old 09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Memories of Murder (10/10)
Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 PM

Midnight in Paris - 8/10

This is another one that has taken me a while to get around to seeing. It's pretty fantastic. It's sharply written, well-acted, beautifully directed and features some nice twists and turns, as well as some terrific character interaction. The scene where Owen Wilson corrects Michael Sheen's statements about a painting is pitch perfect. Speaking of Owen Wilson, he's definitely the standout here. It's certainly one of the better performances of his career. I'm not that big a fan of Rachel McAdams, except when she plays roles like this where the character is a bit unlikeable. I generally find that when she plays sympathetic characters, she comes off as fake and you can really tell she is performing. Here, she sinks her teeth into the role and really sells it. Everyone else has pretty limited screen time, but Marion Cotillard is as charming as always and Michael Sheen plays the pseudo intellectual douche bag to perfection. What really carries the film, however, is Allen's script... surprise, surprise. It contains sharp and witty dialogue throughout, as well as many interesting plot and character developments. The commentary on how every generation is always going to fantasize about the greatness of previous times, places and generations was quite interesting and really well played within the context of the plot. This is Allen's best work in a long time.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-02-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Memories of Murder (10/10)
That's what I like to hear! Such an incredible film.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - 10/10

Each time I watch this it crawls closer and closer to being my top film from 2000-2009. The Departed still holds the title and probably always will, but this has now surpassed the likes of There Will Be Blood, Requiem for a Dream, No Country for Old Men, among others. It mixes the meditative nature of a Malick film with the paranoia of a Coen Brothers film. A film that strips down the legends and myths of these iconic figures and presents you with the real characters and all of their flaws. An absolute fucking masterpiece.
Hell yeah!

It's a hell of a lot better than Malick's last two movies.

Off The Map (2005) - 7/10

Last edited by Matchbox225; 09-02-2011 at 11:25 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 PM

10/10 Truly a hilarious movie and the best of it's genre since Shaun of the Dead. It is, in fact, on par with Shaun of the Dead if not better. This is on Zune right now, so for any of you who have an Xbox 360 I suggest you dish out the 10 bucks and watch it.

Easily my favorite film this year.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Paris, Texas (9/10)
Old 09-03-2011, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
Rampage (Uwe Boll, 2009) F
There's no plot, the dialogue is terrible, the camerawork and editing are awful, and the whole concept is just plain stupid. It's almost as if Boll filmed a guy doing what he did after just watching an Uwe Boll movie.
As much as i hate Uwe Boll as the next guy , this is probably the best movie he ever did (and probably will). If i remember my own review , i gave it a 6/10 ... which was me giving Uwe Boll a gold star on his 1st grade report lol. To me , your F is like dishing something because it's cool to do so. That guy deserved at least a D-

on that note .....

Blitz (2010)

I love Statham , one of the last true action hero movie star imo. Well this time he does play yet another badass dude but in a movie trying to keep it real. No "back flip - roundhouse" kick this time , just "beat-you-with-a-pool-stick" type of thing

Actually the premise is pretty good : Violent cop on probation is given a second chance if he catches a serial cop-killer. Yet they try to put too much into this movie ( undercover drugie female cop with an emotional past is a forgettable arc ) . I see what they tried to do and other movies could take a cue . Yet , it didn't feel fulfilling. Nice try tho.

7/10
Old 09-03-2011, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
Blitz (2010)

7/10
Just finished [Blitz] two minutes ago. I liked it a lot. I wish Statham would have taken his shirt off, rolled himself in oil and spin-kicked 6 guys standing in a circle, but hey - nothing's perfect, right?

7/10
Old 09-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Pink Flamingos (John Waters, 1972) F
The acting and the script are some of the worst I've seen and the plot is paper thin, but even that's not terrible compared to the film's main problem. It's the most vile, tasteless, offensive, and disgusting film I've ever seen in my entire life. I don't even want to give examples of what makes it disgusting, but it's incredibly shocking to say the least. I don't even know if I can call it a film. To call it the same thing one would call The Godfather is an insult. Hell, to call it the same thing one would call Meet the Spartans is an insult. This is the worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life. The previous winner, Birdemic: Shock and Terror, was one of the most poorly-made films I've ever seen, but it never shocked or offended me like this film did. Not only can't I recommend this film, but I strongly, and I mean STRONGLY recommend you stay the hell away from it.

National Lampoon's Animal House (John Landis, 1978) A+
There's really not much to say about this movie. It's stupid, it's sophomoric, but hell, it's a comedy classic. The entire ensemble is hilarious and very likeable, including Tom Hulce, Tim Matheson, Kevin Bacon, and the late, great John Belushi. I dare you to see this film without laughing your ass off.

Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis, 1993) A
The script is dry and witty, and Bill Murray is perfectly cast, as he is also dry and witty. There's not much to say about this one either, as it's also a comedy classic. It's cool to see how the repetition really shapes Murray's character as he learns to be a better person.

Dr Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick, 1964) A+
The movie is very smart and very clever. It's not laugh-out-loud funny, but it's easy to appreciate the wit of the script. The performances are great, and I really like the black-and-white look of the film. It's definitely a great satire on the nuclear scare of the Cold War.

Seven (David Fincher, 1995) A+
I really loved this movie. The acting is fantastic, and the film is intense and suspenseful. My eyes were glued to the screen from start to finish. This is definitely a film I will revisit time and time again.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:06 AM
The Long Goodbye. Couldn't sit through Elliot Goulds awful acting
Phase IV 6
Homicide 8.5
Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 AM
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - 5/10
Johnny Guitar - 3/10
Old 09-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
Pink Flamingos (John Waters, 1972) F
The acting and the script are some of the worst I've seen and the plot is paper thin, but even that's not terrible compared to the film's main problem. It's the most vile, tasteless, offensive, and disgusting film I've ever seen in my entire life. I don't even want to give examples of what makes it disgusting, but it's incredibly shocking to say the least. I don't even know if I can call it a film. To call it the same thing one would call The Godfather is an insult. Hell, to call it the same thing one would call Meet the Spartans is an insult. This is the worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life. The previous winner, Birdemic: Shock and Terror, was one of the most poorly-made films I've ever seen, but it never shocked or offended me like this film did. Not only can't I recommend this film, but I strongly, and I mean STRONGLY recommend you stay the hell away from it.
I don't blame your distaste to such a pointless and distasteful movie. What I find funny is that John Waters prides himself as the master of shock schlock. He brags about ever since he was a kid, his only intent was to disgust viewers, and he was proud of the fact that people would pass out and/or puke while seeing Pink Flamingos. He compares the tastelessness of that to what JACKASS does today; it's vile, senseless and causes the most base reaction from viewers. So, for you to be completely turned off and offended, it actually accomplished Waters' wishes.
I wouldn't say it's art, and I didn't like it either. But I think it's funny to think how it accomplished what he intended.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Bug (6/10)
A Bittersweet Life (7/10)
Old 09-03-2011, 10:48 AM
ATTACK THE BLOCK

If Super 8 was half as interesting, creative and fun as this I would have had few complaints!

8/10
Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I don't blame your distaste to such a pointless and distasteful movie. What I find funny is that John Waters prides himself as the master of shock schlock. He brags about ever since he was a kid, his only intent was to disgust viewers, and he was proud of the fact that people would pass out and/or puke while seeing Pink Flamingos. He compares the tastelessness of that to what JACKASS does today; it's vile, senseless and causes the most base reaction from viewers. So, for you to be completely turned off and offended, it actually accomplished Waters' wishes.
I wouldn't say it's art, and I didn't like it either. But I think it's funny to think how it accomplished what he intended.
He makes it seem like it's difficult to shock and offend people. It's really not. Anyone can do it, really.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Fright Night (2011) - 7/10
Old 09-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Paul (Rewatch) - 7/10
The Beaver - 7/10
Rudo y Cursi - 7/10
Old 09-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Source Code

A highly enjoyable sci-fi thriller that continues the trend of Duncan Jones’s debut Moon in finding a fresh perspective on old constructs, in this case time travel. Only it’s… not. Well, kinda, but not exactly. Finding out the differences is part of the film’s intriguing execution. The movie hits the ground running by dropping us abruptly alongside Gyllenhaal’s amnesiac Air Force pilot on a commuter train set for destruction at the hands of a mysterious mad bomber in exactly eight minutes every time. Okay, so you get echoes of Groundhog Day, and there are spontaneous moments of situational humor as Gyllenhaal finds himself having to replay the same scenario over and over again, but things end up being a little more complicated than that, much like Moon before it. I suppose it could be argued that the film could’ve lived without the final twenty minutes, and the ending is either love/hate, but it’s not an argument I’m willing to bet the overall quality of the whole story on. Can’t wait to see what this Jones lad has up his crafty sleeve next.

-> 8/10
Old 09-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I Walked With a Zombie - This little horror film from the 40's set the mood really well. There was some suspense and a few startling moments as well. The story is pretty simple and there was no great acting involved but it's a pretty solid film nonetheless. 7/10

Lady by Choice with Carole Lombard - Lombard is a risque dancer who hires May Robson as her mother for a publicity stunt. Of course there are unintended consequences as well as some romance with the men involved. Robson was actually just as funny as Lombard - not an easy feat. The court scenes were a little silly and were there purely to advance the plot but I did like this film. 7/10

The Devil is a Woman with Marlene Dietrich - Dietrich was such a cock teasing bitch in this one. She uses her feminine wiles to get men to bail her out of financial trouble and then tosses them aside. She did a really good job of playing the eponymous character and still seeming like it was realistic that men would keep falling in love with her. Part of that is because she was really hot but another part is that her character made it seem like she was capable of reform when really she was just fucking men over again. 8/10
Old 09-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Blitz - 6/10
Old 09-03-2011, 11:44 PM

The Thin Blue Line - 9/10

This was my first time seeing this. It's an incredibly engaging and unsettling documentary and it is no surprise that it led to Adams' release. While I find reenactments to be slightly tedious outside of a 48 Hours Mystery episode, here they are constructed extremely well and are downright chilling at times. The way they recreate the crime scene from different perspectives is brilliant. It's also pretty infuriating. On top of this completely innocent guy being convicted of a senseless crime, you have these complete chuckleheads giving these false testimonies to get money and get out of armed robbery charges. Like you could really see the dude's curly hair while you were driving on the other side of the road in the dark. Get the fuck out.

Capturing the Friedmans - 10/10

This was my first time watching this doc as well. It more or less made me want to vomit. The ambiguity of it all is really draining. You have so many people on both sides telling so many different stories, giving so many strong arguments, that it becomes very difficult to pick a side. You more or less know up front that the father is up to no good, but the son (as strange as his actions are throughout the film and especially before he gets locked up) is a question mark. You see him get out at the end and when he's hugging the mom it completely fucks with your emotions. Should you feel happy that a potentially wrongly convicted guy is out of jail or should you feel angry because he potentially was correctly convicted of sodomizing several children. The severity of what happened is just never very clear. The only vivid victim description we get is from the one kid who was hypnotized and could have potentially had a false memory planted in his mind. Then you have the father of one of the victims who claims that when his son was interviewed the investigator pretty much forced him to say what the investigator wanted to hear. And while the father (and possibly son) may have threatened the kids, which may have prevented them from telling anyone, don't you think there would have been some sort of sign that this had taken place? Wouldn't the wife have heard this going on at some point? When parents showed up randomly to pick up the kids, wouldn't one of them have walked in at some point over the course of several years and sensed something was wrong? I'm more on the side that they did commit these acts, but it's way too ambiguous to know the degree of what they did. This film also kind of ties in with the themes of Paradise Lost. They both deal with facades and how you can't allow that to influence how you feel about a case. Fascinating doc that raises a ton of questions and makes me go on an incoherent rant.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-03-2011 at 11:54 PM..
Closed Thread