Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Children And Mobiles Phones

A few days ago l was watching a current affair show and they were talking about children having full control of owning there own mobile

i think it is alright for a young child to have a mobile if it is a emercancy but to have them as a tool they can play with is wrong

Alot of young children will dowload things that cost alot of money and because they are young they dont know what they are doing
Where is the supervision of the parent in allowing all this

Some children have got there parents into debt not just a little bit but alot

I really think alot of parents need to look at what they are doing
Some phones are not even prepaid where you can limit money that a child can spend and like l said if the child is very young they should not have this type of thing

I just think that you should wait for the child to be a suitable age like around 15yrs old

Anyway l want to askt this qestion
Would you allow a child of yours to have a mobile

Last edited by Bondgirl; 09-15-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 PM
My oldest (17) has had her phone for 2yrs now, but I will ask for it whenever I want and make her show me pics and texts to & from, just to watch her activity. She is allowed to take it to school, but if it's taken away, she loses it til the following Monday. My younger one (14) is given a pre-paid cell for when she is away from me and she shows no interest in a phone of her own. So I'm very glad I restricted them on their usage.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
to have them as a tool they can play with is wrong

Alot of young children will dowload things that cost alot of money
Agreed.

Lets shove the mobile phones down their throats, choking them to death. Then feed the corpses to Great White Sharks.

Is that what you had in mind?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
given the fact that my oldest is 3, and would use her phone only to take a shabillion pictures, (like she does with mine) right now...no I wouldn't get her a phone.

however, if she were older..school age, going to sleepovers or regular outings? absolutely.
I think it's important that she has the tools to reach me, whether it's an emergency or not. (and vise versa)

there are many options for parents to limit controls on a child's phone. limited texts, data, search engines, etc.
plus the option of being able to track where the phone (and child) are at all times could come in handy in the event something unfortunate happens.

short answer: yes. with limitations.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 AM
If you want to give the kid a high-end phone like iPhone, simply make it pre-paid. That solves all the problems. He can't spend more than 30 dollars a month on his phone, or whatever the limit you want to give him.

There are also cheap kiddie mobiles on the market. They are very simple in their functions, and a lot of parents only allow the phone to have several numbers in it - The kid can't call anyone else except for a few family members and friends, can't access internet, etc. These are usually given to pre-teen kids, who don't really need to call a lot of people.

I think it's actually good that there is a way for parents to reach their kids when needed, and vice versa.

Last edited by Tuukka; 09-16-2011 at 12:38 AM..
Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 AM
My child needs no telephone to reach me. They just call upon the wolf spirit to find me walking along side them.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:27 AM
No kid under the age of 14 needs a phone. Who are you calling at that age? I didn't get a mobile until I was 17 and I didn't give a shit either way. But, if you decide to get your kid a phone you have to trust them entirely. I don't agree with checking your kids phone every week to see what their up to. You bought them the phone, don't ridiculous in telling them what to do with it. We all know what teenagers do with their phones, so decided beforehand if you trust them enough to ge them one.

I still don't get this smart phone stuff, I just cannot understand the appeal. Instead of buying a 500 iphone, just get a laptop and a cheap ass phone. More for your money.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Good thread. My two little ones love play with my phone and watch youtube and play a few games I downloaded for them. I know kids around where I live usually have a phone by like 11 or 12. I don't think kids that young need a smart phone with internet. I know their are a few differnet sorts of kid phones, where they can only call out to a few numbers. I have a ways to go before I have to worry about this issue and who knows what phones and phone plans will be then.

My kids will probably have some sort of phone by 12 or whenever they are not totally under my control, where I do not know where they are at every minute. Not that I will need to know where they are all the time, but rather to keep tabs on them and make sure they can contact me whenever they have to. If my kids are down the block with their friends, I can call them in to eat dinner or go out, ect.

One thing I know for sure, they will not be allowed to do all the texting kids do these days. I will keep an eye on how many texts are being done. I fully plan on checking their phones too. I will also scare my kids into not taking any nake pics of themselves. There are enough examples on the internet.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Its all about the ability to control use. If the tools are inplace to limit and monitor the usage and you yourself are there as a parent for guidence then it shouldn't be a problem.

I recall a few years ago seeing these little phone for little kids that were in the shames of laddybugs i think. They only had 2 buttons on them which the parents programed specific #'s into it, like home and work maybe. There was, i think, a third button as well that could be used to call 911 in emergency. I'm not sure how well they made out but i thought that that was a step in the right direction if giving our kids phones is something that becomes common place.

It can become a problem when a parent gets their kid a phone just cause its the "in thing" right now to have one. If that's the reasoning i can't see the parents putting the proper amount of attention to make sure having this divice isn't having a negitive effect wether it be social or financial.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I personally sell cell phones and I had a gentlemen come in to buy a cell phone for his daughter. He had an Infuse from AT&T I believe. A really nice smart phone. He loved it so much he got it for his daughter. Whom is 6 years old.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
I personally sell cell phones and I had a gentlemen come in to buy a cell phone for his daughter. He had an Infuse from AT&T I believe. A really nice smart phone. He loved it so much he got it for his daughter. Whom is 6 years old.
shit..... must be nice. I remember having friends when i was little who always had cool toys that always ended up actually belonging to their cool dad. Seems these days ppl aer well anough off that they can afford to get their kid their own shit. Must be nice.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Good thread. My two little ones love play with my phone and watch youtube and play a few games I downloaded for them. I know kids around where I live usually have a phone by like 11 or 12. I don't think kids that young need a smart phone with internet. I know their are a few differnet sorts of kid phones, where they can only call out to a few numbers. I have a ways to go before I have to worry about this issue and who knows what phones and phone plans will be then.

My kids will probably have some sort of phone by 12 or whenever they are not totally under my control, where I do not know where they are at every minute. Not that I will need to know where they are all the time, but rather to keep tabs on them and make sure they can contact me whenever they have to. If my kids are down the block with their friends, I can call them in to eat dinner or go out, ect.

One thing I know for sure, they will not be allowed to do all the texting kids do these days. I will keep an eye on how many texts are being done. I fully plan on checking their phones too. I will also scare my kids into not taking any nake pics of themselves. There are enough examples on the internet.

Thankyou Erroneous

I wanted to start a thread like this to show that there are problems on how parents want to keep there child quiet before it used to be the tv and now it is the moblie phone

Also the Ipad is also being used as a tool to keep them occupied even though there is lots to learn through the internet it is going to far when children are trated like little adults

There has to be supervision on these type of things
i was also watching the morning news show and they were also talking about young girls fighting and it has been filmed on moblie by boys and shown on youtube

There fights were about being added to a certain group and they were using there moblie to do this

That is why l am say that children should be restricted to a certain age because they are not using there moblie for important things they are using it for silly means

getting back to toddlers and young children using the moblie phone
I have also giving my child a little play time on my phone but it is locked so they cannot use it to phone p[eople or play or download things

Last edited by Bondgirl; 09-18-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Old 09-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post

Well that is another thing is buying expensive phones l have heard of young children been given moblies worth 900 dollars

i really think this is too much in money value to give a child when all they need is a acheap phone to make emercancy calls and like l said it is not a tool to use as a play thing

Also children have peer pressure to buy the best phone to prove they are in the in crowd

i find this so stupid but it is a problem
Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with children having a cell phone if they're able to use it responsibly. If they abuse its use, the lose it. Simple as that.

I don't see the point in giving one to an infant though. I'd probably wait til my kid is a teenager - at least - til I decide if they should have one.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
I used to work for Verizon and on several occasions I had soccer mom's come in and add lines to their family plan for their kids. As in KIDS. As in as young as 8 years old. Think about when you were 8 years old. Who the fuck did you have to call?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Well when l was a child you would be playing outside with your freinds but these days everything is electronic and children prefer to stay inside and play games on the computer or text people.

Like l said this is where the supervision on children lacks

if the know the children are occupied with what they are doing on a computer or mobile they dont check to see what they are doing

There have been so many cases of misuse of a moblie and you as a parent pay for it if they are not watching or asking what there child is doing

I know at some exstent you have to trust a older child or teen but sometimes they get into trouble and they dont know the way out of what they have gotten themselves into

Also there are sites where you can download for free that is where the parent comes into this and finds these download site

it is as eay as that
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 View Post
I used to work for Verizon and on several occasions I had soccer mom's come in and add lines to their family plan for their kids. As in KIDS. As in as young as 8 years old. Think about when you were 8 years old. Who the fuck did you have to call?
Ah but that's the whole over reaching problem with technology imo. We had no one to call but we never had the ability to do it either. Just the fact that we can call each other on the go (among other things) ppl can convince themselves that it's useful or even necessary and it starts to be become part of the culture.

Then the real problem of the dependency comes up when these things stop working and we have no idea what to do, even though we can remember a time when we got by without it. I'm just as guilty though, i can't for the life of me remember a single phone # outside of the couple that haven't changed in 15+ years that i have in my phone.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Well your right there when l was eight years old l was busy playing with my freinds not wanting to call someone

I do know that when children reach primary they are already in the first stages of learning how to use a computer
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm not a parent and am still fairly young, but I am a teacher and I see how phones can be kind of an issue for young kids. I think they need phones to be able to reach parents in case of an emergency or get in touch with friends, but I think/hope parents somehow monitor what they're doing. There have been far too many sexting incidents in schools in my area. Granted, I think it was like 3 last year, but still, that's way too many for a single school year.

Hypothetically, if I were a parent of a teen, I'd get them a phone, pay close attention to who they're contacting, and randomly check it to see outgoing messages or pictures. Those would be my terms. If the kid wouldn't want me doing that, then I wouldn't get him/her a phone.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Well if the moblie can be used wisely there shouldnt be a problem but kids get away with too much these days there is no control in what they do

The parents treat them like miny adults and dont advise on the rights and wrongs of things that is where these kids get into trouble

When l was growing up l was taught the right way of things and freinds were also shown the right way of doing things so parents had more control in waht we did

But like l said kids get away with too much

Of cause a child if in a emercancy should use a mobile so they can call someone

Being a teacher you would see alot of diffrent things kids get up too
Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 PM
I think its good if a child has a phone that can only call 911 or their parents phone numbers but not one where they are free to do whatever they want.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Well it woukd be nice if Mobiles were restricted to certain things but this is not the case

Like l said before if the mobile is supervised by a parent and the child and parent have good comication you shouldnt have problems but alot of parents dont do this

They let there child take full control and in the end it is not the child in trouble it is the parent who pays for it