Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Gangster Squad

Director - Ruben Fleischer

Plot - The Gangster Squad is based on a seven-part Los Angeles Times article written by Paul Lieberman that details how, during 1940′s corruption and chaos, the Los Angeles Police Department created a special unit called the Gangster Squad to prevent the East Coast mafia from infecting the city.

The film focuses on Mickey Cohen, a notorious Los Angeles gangster who grew to become one of the most violent, feared and famous mobsters in the nation. Jailed multiple times, including once at Alcatraz, Cohen laundered money, killed people and trafficked drugs — and had the guts to make television appearances while doing it.

Cast - Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Sean Penn, Emma Stone, Anthony Mackie, along with Michael Peña, Giovanni Ribisi, Mireille Enos, Holt McCallany, Robert Patrick, and Frank Grillo.

Release Date - Late 2012

First Look Images - http://bit.ly/oeNMqe

Director Ruben Fleischer interview about the film - http://wp.me/p1jhce-A1

UPDATED TRAILER - http://bit.ly/KGnfdD

Release Date - September 7th, 2012.

Anyone else excited about this? It's gonna be great.

Last edited by P1NSTR1PEZ; 05-21-2012 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Title change
Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
I thought it was a joke. Apparently it's a film adaptation of the Facebook Game 'Mafia Wars' lol. But perhaps thats just a ridiculous rumor.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
Plot - The Gangster Squad is based on a seven-part Los Angeles Times article written by Paul Lieberman that details how, during 1940′s corruption and chaos, the Los Angeles Police Department created a special unit called the Gangster Squad to prevent the East Coast mafia from infecting the city.
That is what it's based on, sir. Not Mafia Wars.

The cast is incredible and I love old-school gangster films. Color me interested.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
That is what it's based on, sir. Not Mafia Wars.

The cast is incredible and I love old-school gangster films. Color me interested.
My source is here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_wars
Old 09-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Your source is wikipedia. Case closed.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Looking foward to seeing Sean Penn play a bad guy.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
Your source is wikipedia. Case closed.
I never said it was or wasn't based on Mafia Wars. I said that it's what I heard. I also said it could have been a ridiculous rumor. Which it may very well be. No need for a tude, dude
Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Looking foward to seeing Sean Penn play a bad guy.
And yeah, that sounds pretty awesome. A large portion of the cast looks pretty cool.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 AM
First look:

Really, really looking forward to this one. I read the first couple of scenes from the script and they were brilliant, but I'm holding off on reading the rest as I don't want to ruin anything. This is my kind of movie and it looks like they have all the tools to make it a great one.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I want this fucking movie. NOW.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm hopin' for the next L.A. Confidential.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
So this got bumped to late 2012, with Argo taking its October slot. This could mean a few things:

1) The film won't be finished in time (seems unlikely, it finished shooting a while ago)

2) They feel like they have a big awards contender on their hands

3) They feel like they have a financial hit on their hands, more suited to a Thanksgiving or Christmas release date

4) It sucks and they don't know where to dump it

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-10-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 PM
The script is quite good, very solid entertainment. It will definitely be a box office hit, perhaps comparable to The Town (though storywise it is finally a little more formulaic than that), and Penn has a decent chance at a Best Supporting Actor nomination (Leo and Sam Jackson in Django might take his villain thunder), though crowds are going to really like all of the squad members (Brolin, Gosling, Pena, Mackie, etc.). I tried very hard to picture Emma Stone in her role as written, and can't envision it. Amber Heard would have made more sense.

Last edited by Trilljoy; 04-10-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 PM
http://www.albertafilmratings.ca/rec...strailers.aspx

Trailer coming soon!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Uh oh...
http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145238

Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Good. can't wait to see it.

I'm really curious what kind of tone the director(Fleischer) is gonna go with. He made Zombieland & 30 Minutes or Less that features lots of humor so it'll be interesting
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Good. can't wait to see it.

I'm really curious what kind of tone the director(Fleischer) is gonna go with. He made Zombieland & 30 Minutes or Less that features lots of humor so it'll be interesting
I think Fleischer is a talented guy and I think his visual style will actually suit the noir nature of the story. Zombieland is a very good and visually interesting film with a great use of color (which will be essential for this movie). 30 Minutes or Less isn't very good, but again, his use of color is excellent in that film (it just had a weak screenplay).

Besides the script though, he must have done a pretty good job convincing the cast to join. I mean, you aren't going to get Gosling, Penn, Brolin, Stone, Mackie, Ribisi, Enos, Nolte and Pena in the same movie if they don't think the director is up to the task.

But we shall see. Hopefully we get the trailer in the next couple of days, but it will probably be next week with Dark Shadows (since it's a WB movie).

Last edited by Bourne101; 05-04-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 PM
can't wait
Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM

Last edited by Bourne101; 05-09-2012 at 07:30 PM..
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
I have some hope for this. Something other than superhero movies would be nice.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
First Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gViqC...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Looks legit. The only thing I don't like is that this went the Mann route and used digital cams
Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Hmm. I was loving it until that song kicked in. What the fuck were they thinking. Gangster Squad sooo gangsta rap? LOL. Someone should be fired.

Sean Penn looks like he's going to chew off the scenery and the rest of the cast is looking solid as hell. I just hope we don't get those slow-mo moments and digital panning too much, looks awful.

Mixed feelings, I was expecting something .. more .. but, I'm still pretty stoked.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Hmm. I was loving it until that song kicked in. What the fuck were they thinking. Gangster Squad sooo gangsta rap? LOL. Someone should be fired.

Sean Penn looks like he's going to chew off the scenery and the rest of the cast is looking solid as hell. I just hope we don't get those slow-mo moments and digital panning too much, looks awful.

Mixed feelings, I was expecting something .. more .. but, I'm still pretty stoked.
Unless you're deaf you will get stuck hearing rap/hip hop one way or another. As sad as it is.

Last edited by rocknblues81; 05-09-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Seeing that trailer, is it just me or does Ryan Gosling have a thing for Emma Stone? First it was Crazy, Stupid, Love... now this and I think they're in another film right?

Either way, this looks pretty good.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Gosling and Stone are doing a 3rd movie together also, they have great chemistry.

I put the trailer in the first post!!

CAN'T FING WAIT THIS LOOKS AMAZING
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Looks kinda cliched and standard. Not much seems unique or unique embracing.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Damn this looks fuckin good. I liked the part where the gangsters were shooting thru the movie screen.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Looks different than I expected. Not a bad thing. It looks a little too stylized, but overall it looks like a hell of a time. I wonder when they'll release it?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm betting Lawless will be better...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
It looks kind of comic booky, but I love the hats, the guns, the era, and the cast, so I'm definitely in.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Unless you're deaf you will get stuck hearing rap/hip hop one way or another. As sad as it is.
I actually listen to some rap/hip hop (only the good kind ). But I just don't want it anywhere near this movie. Terrible decision.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Yeah I could of done without the Jay Z song (not a fan of putting rap songs in period pieces). I remember the trailer of American Gangster where they used a Jay Z song as well.

I'm not surprised how "stylized" it looks though. It is being directed by the guy that did Zombieland after all.

I doubt it'll touch LA Confidental's greatness but should be one hell of an entertaining film!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Some of it kind of reminded me a little bit of The Untouchables. It probably won't be as great as that classic, but it still looks awesome!

Lawless looks really good, but I still think this will definitely be better.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Didn't read any of the other posts but anybody think Penn looks like a character outta DICK TRACY??

Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Emma Stone, ffs, I could've done with out her. She's on some people's agenda, some people's wish list. I don't speculate how mediocrity can get to such heights. I'll just keep this on my thoughts of her, I don't like her.

Everything else looks interesting.

I hope they don't go the route of showing Mickey Cohen as the self employed heighest point of crime. Such criminals are merely stooges for the plutocrats, doing the dirty work the police can't be seen to be doing. Particularly since The Departed, audiences will want more complexity in the villainy. Good vs Bad, The Untouchables style will be insipid and dated. Even L.A Confidential had an interesting angle, showing the police -- operating on behalf of whom? -- to be higher up than the infamous hood.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't like the clean look of it...like my g movies gritty.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Looks good, love gangster movies, stellar cast, will definitely see it. But yeah, do we really need a remake of LA Confidential? I mean that was already one of the bets movies of the past 20 years. Why redo the same story, why not something original?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Looks good, love gangster movies, stellar cast, will definitely see it. But yeah, do we really need a remake of LA Confidential? I mean that was already one of the best movies of the past 20 years. Why redo the same story, why not something original?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM
I really don't see the L.A. Confidential comparisons. It looks MUCH MORE like The Untouchables to me than L.A. Confidential.

Heck, Sean Penn's performance looks nearly as over the top's as De Niro's performance was in The Untouchables.