Old 08-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Friday numbers and The Help still at No.1 and Colombiana at No.2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
Old 08-27-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm surprised Our Idiot Brother charted so high. That seemed like the type of movie that would open well outside of the top 10. I guess i thought of it more as an independent movie and not one that would have such a wide release.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 AM
An OK top 10 I guess.

At least Rise of The Planet of The Apes is holding strong.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Kind of surprised Our Idiot Brother didn't do well at all. And that is a shame. It's very good and seemed like the kind of indie flick that people would like.

Of course the caveat to that is that the movie was made very cheaply so it can't really be called a flop either at the same time.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:49 PM
The Help still no. 1 and Rise of The Planet of The Apes still have legs!

P.S. Will this be a slow box office weekend due that College Football has started?
Old 09-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
The Help still no. 1 and Rise of The Planet of The Apes still have legs!

P.S. Will this be a slow box office weekend due that College Football has started?
Labor day is almost always a slow box office weekend.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 PM
i'd like to think it is because crap movies are being released more and more, and we as a whole are picking up on that. but likely, no
Old 09-04-2011, 02:49 AM
I just want to know what dumbass thought that taking a movie that tanked at the box office, but had a cult following because of how it just went for it and was a super fun time (Piranha 3D) and taking the balls off of it and making a generic PG13 exploitation flick, why would they think that would make money?!

Have not seen The Help yet, but will be shortly.

As for Apollo 18... we'll see, it looks like it could be interesting.. but not a rush out to theaters type flick.

Why are they releasing all of these Horror Movies in late August/ Early September... it seems a mid to late October release would be optimal, no Saw movie this year, and Paranormal Activity 3 will now have a stranglehold on the Halloween box office.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I just want to know what dumbass thought that taking a movie that tanked at the box office, but had a cult following because of how it just went for it and was a super fun time (Piranha 3D) and taking the balls off of it and making a generic PG13 exploitation flick, why would they think that would make money?!

Have not seen The Help yet, but will be shortly.

As for Apollo 18... we'll see, it looks like it could be interesting.. but not a rush out to theaters type flick.

Why are they releasing all of these Horror Movies in late August/ Early September... it seems a mid to late October release would be optimal, no Saw movie this year, and Paranormal Activity 3 will now have a stranglehold on the Halloween box office.
Fright Night, at the very least, should have been an October release.

The Thing also comes out in October. That could do some Halloween business. Although you're right. Very little horror in October. Bizarre. I always used to go see a horror movie with my Dad on Halloween afternoon and I've continued the tradition myself but this year I'm not so sure. One year I even saw The Haunting of Molly Hartley on Halloween because there was nothing else. Oy. I'll never understand the studios.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM
It's okay. I always watch all of the horror flicks I have on dvd during Halloween anyway. Particularly every single Nightmare on Elm Street flick, by far my favorite horror franchise.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Friday numbers. Contagion takes the no. 1 spot once belonged to The Help. Bucky Larson Born to be a Star tanked rock bottom!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:17 PM
awful numbers in general besides Contagion. thought Warrior would do a bit better.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 AM
So happy to see Bucky Larson flop. It looks so awful!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 AM
yeah, don johnson is the only cool looking thing about that movie. i didn't see a single bit of advertisement for it either.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:09 AM
I figured Bucky Larson would tank... the adverts for it were terrible. I will see it on video, cuz I see all Adam Sandler associated movies.. perhaps this is another one like Grandma's Boy that is actually hilarious, but doesnt find an audience in theaters?

I seriously thought Warrior would do WAY better, I am very shocked by the numbers Warrior pulled in on Friday.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:31 AM
likewise, i knew it wouldn't take #1 spot, but i was expecting closer to $10 mil, looks like it will be lucky to get $6.5
Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Larson should have gone straight to video, if it wasn't for Sandler being attached to it, that's most likely where it would have gone.

It looks dreadfully unfunny and the main character seems like something that would be annoying in a 2 and a half minute skit, forget about 90 minutes with him.

Pretty certain it will be on video in about a month because it will be out of theaters after this weekend.

The Warrior looked half way decent but nothing i'm in a rush to see, more like an extended advertisement for tapout than an actual movie.

Contagion did some nice numbers although with the director's pedigree and the cast they assembled, it should have done better .
Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Considering how dark and depressing much of the movie is, Contagion did better than I was expecting.

On the other hand, since Warrior is a rousing crowd pleaser (as well as being a solid family drama) I would have expected it to better. I actually thought Warrior was going to be the sleeper hit of the season especially since the buzz on the movie was so great. But I guess not.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Remember, Warrior is only playing in 1500 theatres and Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton aren't exactly household names, yet. I did think it would do a little bit better, but the WOM is pretty great and I could see it having nice legs. With a budget of only $25 million nobody will get hurt because of it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 AM
I'm wondering how much the MMA aspect of Warrior came into play. I'm thinking most families aren't interested in the sport. I'll be seeing it in the next week or so, and I'm hoping word of mouth keeps it moving, but I'm just thinking the sport is turning people away.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I'm wondering how much the MMA aspect of Warrior came into play. I'm thinking most families aren't interested in the sport. I'll be seeing it in the next week or so, and I'm hoping word of mouth keeps it moving, but I'm just thinking the sport is turning people away.
I had the same notion, but then somebody told me that MMA is more popular than boxing is these days. And The Fighter managed to do really well. The big difference between the two is the cast. Hardy and Edgerton just aren't well known yet. If this film came out post-Dark Knight Rises, it may be a different story.

It'll do well on video, though.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:57 AM
good point on the dark knight rises bit... and yeah, the blow up of mma also made me think this would do better.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Gosh since College and NFL football started every schmoe feels lazy to post weekend numbers. Oh well here are friday's numbers.

The Citizen Kane of animated movies is again at the no. 1 spot and this time in 3D. Another ouch! for remakes. Straw Dogs at no. 4. Drive at no. 3. The Apes movie still having legs!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Further proof that Internet hype means little in terms of mainstream receipts. Based on the great word and all the hype for DRIVE on the internet, I def thought the movie was going to open at number 1. (I add myself to the hype, i saw an advance screening and absolutely loved it).

And with the number 1 movie being an old classic only re-released in 3D, perhaps 3D isn't in it's last legs. But perhaps Lion King is one of those EVENT 3D movies, where as some of the 3D movies released this summer simply had no business in 3D
Old 09-19-2011, 01:47 PM

Drive only cost 13 million to make so an 11 million opening weekend is really good. Hopefully the good reviews and positive word of mouth helps out its box office intake even more.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Gosh since College and NFL football started every schmoe feels lazy to post weekend numbers.
And still continues.

Here are the weekend numbers.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Lion King a.k.a. the Citizen Kane of animated movies still at no.1. Moneyball at no. 2. Kiler Elite and Abduction didn't fare at all. Drive dropped big.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Aw, that's disappointing to hear about Killer Elite. I thought the movie was badass. And completely misrepresented in it's trailers.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Lion King doing way better than I thought it would. But I wonder how much of that is parents who grew up with the movie who are now taking their kids to see it vs. kids who have a genuine interest of their own.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Drive only cost 13 million to make so an 11 million opening weekend is really good. Hopefully the good reviews and positive word of mouth helps out its box office intake even more.
I think passionate and intense film buffs are fooling themselves. Most seem to have enjoyed Drive but general audiences think it's a crap film. (I'm kind of right in the middle and can see both sides) Overall, WOM is actually pretty bad for Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Aw, that's disappointing to hear about Killer Elite. I thought the movie was badass. And completely misrepresented in it's trailers.
THIS I totally agree with. Killer Elite surprised the hell out of me. It's not a mindless Transporter type film at all.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Friday numbers

1. Moneyball - 3.8 mil
2. Dolphin Tale - 3.4 mil
3. The Lion King 3D - 3.2 mil
4. Courageous - 3.1 mil
5. Dream House - 2.9 mil
6. 50/50 - 2.8 mil
7. What's Your Number - 2 mil
8. Abduction - 1.7 mil
9. Killer Elite - 1.5 mil
10. Contagion - 1.5 mil

Not a very impressive slate of newcomers.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
A complete shame that more people didn't check out 50/50. It's such a fantastic movie. WOM should be good enough for it to make a decent profit (the budget was only $8 million), but it should have been a hit.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Blame it on college football and NFL. I guess the numbers from Moneyball helped due to MLB playoffs. It's a shame 50/50 didn't do well. Reminds me of a C'mon Hollywood report posted at Joblo.com this week about why good movies tank. Glad that Dream House tanked.

Last edited by MidnightAngel; 10-01-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 07:28 AM
didn't expect that courageous to outnumber seth rogen/levitt pairings and a daniel craig flick. lousy numbers for the newcomers.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Friday numbers

Real Steel at no.1 spot. Clooney's new movie at second spot, this generation's Free Willy at no. 3. Can't believe Abduction is still in the top 10.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Abduction wasn't actually nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Real Steal being number 1 is no surprise. I think it looks very entertaining. Of course I'm looking forward to The Ides of March more but eh Real Steal is always going to beat it since it's more mainstream and a crowd pleaser.

Does anyone know if Machine Gun Preacher will ever go wide? It's playing in Philadelphia but I'd have to take the train there to see it. I'll do that if I have to but it would be nice if they are gonna release it wide.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Friday estimates

1. Footloose - 5.3 mil
2. Real Steel - 4.4 mil
3. The Thing - 3.2 mil
4. The Ides of March - 2.2 mil
5. Moneyball - 1.7 mil
6. Dolphin Tale - 1.7 mil
7. 50/50 - 1.3 mil
8. The Big Year - 1.1 mil
9. Courageous - 1 mil
10. Dream House - .7 mil
Old 10-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Ouch for The Big Year.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Now tha the Footloose remake did well i guess a Dirty Dancing remake has been greenlit. Is Real steel a Transformers bandwagonner?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 AM
The Big Year bombed . . . good.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Friday numbers!

I guess Paranormal Activity 4 might be greenlit. Paul WS Anderson's The Three Musketeers...OUCH! Johnny English Reborn ain't funny for yanks. The Thing dropped big. Moneyball and Dolphin Tale still hanging at the top 10.