Old 09-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Why is Dubstep so popular?

i honestly do not get it.

I have listened to countless dubstep songs (forced to, rather) and its all the same crap. It seems easy to make with no talent involved. I mean, what happened to just good electronica? I go to an art school for film and EVERYONE plays it to the point of stupidity.

So, What's everyone's opinions on dubstep?
I hope this fad fades out.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 PM
One of my friends is a dubstep DJ. I haven't heard much of it, but what I heard made me want to get up and dance. Am I wrong for enjoying it? Why do people like country? Hip hop? Trance? etc etc...
Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 PM
IMO, it sucks ass. I wish it wouldn't fade out. If I had a wish, it'd be that it never got popular to begin with.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't get why a music genre would bother you guys, though? I mean, you obviously don't like every genre out there, I'm sure you don't own any Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber albums. Dubstep has an audience, you don't seem to be a part of that audience. What's the problem?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM
I personally have a problem with it for the same reason I have a problem with certain rappers.
It's one thing to be a part of something you love, it's another thing to exploit things in the interest of money.
I've only heard about 4 or 5 actual dubstep songs. I've also heard a plethora of local fan made Dubstep songs.
It was impossible to tell the difference. As a musician myself, I know how to make dubstep. I could probably be pretty successful if I became a Dubstep DJ, but I choose not to because making repetitive trippy drum patterns doesn't appeal to me.
I love hip hop music. Hip-hop can have a repetitive nature, but at least it can have harmonies, melodies, etc..
Also, Hip hop has meaningful lyrics.

I see dubstep as a spin off of techno that devaluates the genre. Techno was already a percussion based genre with little to no musical features besides rhythm.
Dubstep takes the same musicless foundation of techno and applies a loud noisiness to it.
Which I personally can't stand.

As for Miley Cyrus, and Justin Bieber, I consider them sell outs. As I do most commercial music.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I don't get why a music genre would bother you guys, though? I mean, you obviously don't like every genre out there, I'm sure you don't own any Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber albums. Dubstep has an audience, you don't seem to be a part of that audience. What's the problem?
For me it comes down to subject matter or lack there of for me to dislike and actual genre. The only 2 for me that fall into this category would be Country and Hip Hop cause their song seem to always be about the same shit. country is all about heart break and hard times and Hip hop is all about partying every night and fucking chicks.

Now i know that not all the songs in these genres are about these narrow field of subjects but it's become a sort of stereotype that (at least what is played on popular radio for these genres) makes it seem like that is all there is.

Hip Hop really annoys me sometimes cause some of it is so lazy. For a type of music that is essentially 2 parts, the beat and the lyrics, there is way too much repetition and you get something like 30-40 second of a 3 minute song where they are just repeating the same 2 or 3 words. Its like filler or something. But then you get guys like Drake who seem to put at least more though into his lyrical content.

Anyways, as per the thread subject, I to this day have no idea what the fuck Dubstep actually is. I know its a type of music that is popular in the clubs (a scene which i avoid like the plague) but that's about it.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Fair enough, like I said earlier I am not very familiar with dubstep, but I did enjoy the music my friend played for me. My perspective is that times is tough man, you gotta make that money. We all do it in different ways, a lot of people have jobs where their heart is not in it. It's slightly more glamorous if you're a musician of some sort, but it's not their fault their music becomes popular, it's the fault of the audience. It's certainly no new trend that mainstream consumers put less emphasis on art than guys like you or me.

I've certainly found myself frustrated at what becomes popular in the mainstream versus what is ignored. For the most part my tastes don't align with the mainstream. But lately I've felt that it's okay, when something you like becomes popular, it becomes desaturated and watered down for easier consumption by the mainstream audience. So sometimes it's a bad thing when your favorite artist or director becomes hugely popular. There will always be a need, and a place, for vapid, shallow bubble-gum pop music that has little substance or talent involved. It's up to guys like you and me to take the extra step and find the real talent to enjoy.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
For me it comes down to subject matter or lack there of for me to dislike and actual genre. The only 2 for me that fall into this category would be Country and Hip Hop cause their song seem to always be about the same shit. country is all about heart break and hard times and Hip hop is all about partying every night and fucking chicks.

Now i know that not all the songs in these genres are about these narrow field of subjects but it's become a sort of stereotype that (at least what is played on popular radio for these genres) makes it seem like that is all there is.

Hip Hop really annoys me sometimes cause some of it is so lazy. For a type of music that is essentially 2 parts, the beat and the lyrics, there is way too much repetition and you get something like 30-40 second of a 3 minute song where they are just repeating the same 2 or 3 words. Its like filler or something. But then you get guys like Drake who seem to put at least more though into his lyrical content.

Anyways, as per the thread subject, I to this day have no idea what the fuck Dubstep actually is. I know its a type of music that is popular in the clubs (a scene which i avoid like the plague) but that's about it.
I agree with what you're saying. If what you hear is radio hip hop, then it sucks. But I don't consider radio hip hop to be hip hop at all.. It's that bad.
Actually Drake sucks too. And Lil Wayne. IMO.
There is real hip hop out there. And it's not all about "Partyin and fuckin bitches"
Unfortunately, when you turn on the radio, you're led to believe that that's all that hip hop is.
That's why I NEVER turn on the radio. Maybe 1 in 200 hip hop songs they play will actually be a good hip hop song thats representative of the genre.
The best hip hop isn't popular because most people don't want to put intellectual thought into their music.
Most people like bob-their-head music. Something to use to tune out the rest of the world with.
Or they like to dance.
I use music to tune out with, but i'm never tuned out of the music. I'm always deep in thought of what the musician has to say.
Some rappers have a lot to say, and their raps are full of a lot of things to think about.
For example, Nas. He's my personal favorite rapper of all time. He's got songs about partying, and he's got songs about women. But the vast majority of his songs are about politics, morality, bettering yourself, the decline of intellectualism in hip hop music... etc.
He has an entire album devoted to the "N" word and how it's meaning has changed. How people use it, etc...
His music requires a lot of thought, and he's never rhyming simple words like cat, bat, hat. he's very talented in all meanings of the word.

There are quite a few excellent rappers that are popular amongst real hip hop fans, but not amongst the general radio listening public.
Because intellectual music will never sell as well as dance music.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
^Agree with everything you said MikeMovie. I love hip hop but I only listen to a handful of hip hop artists. I avoid the radio at all costs. Listening to the radio, you'll only hear the watered down mainstream crap. It's like trying to find The Tree of Life at the local Cineplex, you're more likely to find 2 dozen screens playing Pirates of The Caribbean 3D.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Fair enough, like I said earlier I am not very familiar with dubstep, but I did enjoy the music my friend played for me. My perspective is that times is tough man, you gotta make that money. We all do it in different ways, a lot of people have jobs where their heart is not in it. It's slightly more glamorous if you're a musician of some sort, but it's not their fault their music becomes popular, it's the fault of the audience. It's certainly no new trend that mainstream consumers put less emphasis on art than guys like you or me.

I've certainly found myself frustrated at what becomes popular in the mainstream versus what is ignored. For the most part my tastes don't align with the mainstream. But lately I've felt that it's okay, when something you like becomes popular, it becomes desaturated and watered down for easier consumption by the mainstream audience. So sometimes it's a bad thing when your favorite artist or director becomes hugely popular. There will always be a need, and a place, for vapid, shallow bubble-gum pop music that has little substance or talent involved. It's up to guys like you and me to take the extra step and find the real talent to enjoy.
I completely understand, and feel the exact same way. I always find extra respect for the artists who refuse to go mainstream though. The ones that become super popular, and are offered all the money in the world and still stay true their art.

I'm trying to make money as well, but I try to take a page from the book of those I respect the most. I won't compromise my art for money. Ever.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
^Agree with everything you said MikeMovie. I love hip hop but I only listen to a handful of hip hop artists. I avoid the radio at all costs. Listening to the radio, you'll only hear the watered down mainstream crap. It's like trying to find The Tree of Life at the local Cineplex, you're more likely to find 2 dozen screens playing Pirates of The Caribbean 3D.
Yep, I know what you mean. There's a lot of great hip hop out there, but it's buried beneath wannabe gangsters and whatnot.
What hip hop do you like to listen to by the way?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
I agree with what you're saying. If what you hear is radio hip hop, then it sucks. But I don't consider radio hip hop to be hip hop at all.. It's that bad.
Actually Drake sucks too. And Lil Wayne. IMO.
There is real hip hop out there. And it's not all about "Partyin and fuckin bitches"
Unfortunately, when you turn on the radio, you're led to believe that that's all that hip hop is.
That's why I NEVER turn on the radio. Maybe 1 in 200 hip hop songs they play will actually be a good hip hop song thats representative of the genre.
The best hip hop isn't popular because most people don't want to put intellectual thought into their music.
Most people like bob-their-head music. Something to use to tune out the rest of the world with.
Or they like to dance.
I use music to tune out with, but i'm never tuned out of the music. I'm always deep in thought of what the musician has to say.
Some rappers have a lot to say, and their raps are full of a lot of things to think about.
For example, Nas. He's my personal favorite rapper of all time. He's got songs about partying, and he's got songs about women. But the vast majority of his songs are about politics, morality, bettering yourself, the decline of intellectualism in hip hop music... etc.
He has an entire album devoted to the "N" word and how it's meaning has changed. How people use it, etc...
His music requires a lot of thought, and he's never rhyming simple words like cat, bat, hat. he's very talented in all meanings of the word.

There are quite a few excellent rappers that are popular amongst real hip hop fans, but not amongst the general radio listening public.
Because intellectual music will never sell as well as dance music.
Yeah i'm forced to listen to radio hip hop most of my day at work unfortunately. I enjoy Drake out of all i hear on the raido. How he stacks up to others i have no idea but he at least know how to use his voice as part of the music instead of saying hte words like a lot of hip hop can end up sounding like. I dunno i just like the way a lot of Drake song's i've heard (and that's not all that many) groove and is more creative then a lot of others i've heard.

I've only ever enjoed a handful of hip hop or rap songs in the past and they would probably all be considered mainstream at the time for me to have even heard them.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for DMX's Up In Here but that has more to do with the sick ass Dragon Ball Z video that was made for it years aog, love that vid

Oh and Lil Wanye is fucking horrible. Again all i've ever heard is whatever made it to radio but from that i can say that i can't stand the sound of him. That slow song he's got around, something about love or the other, and i can't even understand what he's saying half the time cause he can't even be bother to fully enunciate his bloody lyrics! He's the epitome of lazy hip hop in my eye, though those eyes aren't very open
Old 09-22-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm not a big fan of dubstep but I'll be completely honest, when I went to Coachella this year they had a lot of dubstep artists. And it was fun as shit in a live setting.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Tis one my least favorite genres.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Yeah i'm forced to listen to radio hip hop most of my day at work unfortunately. I enjoy Drake out of all i hear on the raido. How he stacks up to others i have no idea but he at least know how to use his voice as part of the music instead of saying hte words like a lot of hip hop can end up sounding like. I dunno i just like the way a lot of Drake song's i've heard (and that's not all that many) groove and is more creative then a lot of others i've heard.

I've only ever enjoed a handful of hip hop or rap songs in the past and they would probably all be considered mainstream at the time for me to have even heard them.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for DMX's Up In Here but that has more to do with the sick ass Dragon Ball Z video that was made for it years aog, love that vid

Oh and Lil Wanye is fucking horrible. Again all i've ever heard is whatever made it to radio but from that i can say that i can't stand the sound of him. That slow song he's got around, something about love or the other, and i can't even understand what he's saying half the time cause he can't even be bother to fully enunciate his bloody lyrics! He's the epitome of lazy hip hop in my eye, though those eyes aren't very open
That's terrible!
I'd probably go insane if that happened to me. Or I'd just quit the job!
Yeah, I can see where Drake would stand out amongst the crowd on the Radio. I do give him credit for trying to be lyrical. Because now days most rappers, mainly the mainstream ones, don't even try to be lyrical.
Drake get's a lot of his style from old school rappers who were very witty and use a lot of wordplay.
I personally don't find him to be nearly as witty. But at least he tries
Lil Wayne is the worse of the two though. He tries to do rock and ruins that too lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I never understood dubstep (only the word) until my brother was complaining about why it is so popular. I took a listen when he mentioned it, and it wasn't awful. Typical Dj beats that you would most likely hear in the club. I'm not gonna lie, if it was a good dubstep and I was pretty drunk with friends, a dance party would ensue.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Quote:
That's terrible!
I'd probably go insane if that happened to me. Or I'd just quit the job!
Yeah, I can see where Drake would stand out amongst the crowd on the Radio. I do give him credit for trying to be lyrical. Because now days most rappers, mainly the mainstream ones, don't even try to be lyrical.
Drake get's a lot of his style from old school rappers who were very witty and use a lot of wordplay.
I personally don't find him to be nearly as witty. But at least he tries
Lil Wayne is the worse of the two though. He tries to do rock and ruins that too lol.
But that's what i'm say'n I have no idea how Drake stacks up to the greats but these days he's heads above a lot of the garbage that's out in the mainstream.

And sry again for this rap discussion inthe dubstep thread
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Glad you enjoy Nas MikeMovie; I really enjoy him, but Talib Kweli, Mos Def and Immortal Technique are a bit better in my mind.

As far as dubstep, I dig the good stuff, and I would respectfully disagree that good dubstep is easy. I do think that making dubstep that some people will think is good (but actually sucks) is easier than most genres, though.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
Glad you enjoy Nas MikeMovie; I really enjoy him, but Talib Kweli, Mos Def and Immortal Technique are a bit better in my mind.

As far as dubstep, I dig the good stuff, and I would respectfully disagree that good dubstep is easy. I do think that making dubstep that some people will think is good (but actually sucks) is easier than most genres, though.
Yeah, Mos Def is excellent. I was just listening to Black on Both Sides today actually. And although I'm not nearly as familiar with them, Talib Kweli and Immortal Technique always kill it when I hear them.
I still prefer Nas though. The Illmatic, Stillmatic, and his 'Untitled' Album are three of my top 10 favorite hip hop albums of all time.

I don't really know any good dubstep songs. I've only heard a small handful of professional dubstep songs. I'm not sure how different the genre can sound. Almost everything I've heard of it was some deep bass and extreme glitchy percussion.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Most dubstep is shite, but I can't get enough of the Zelda OoT dubstep stuff
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Yep, I know what you mean. There's a lot of great hip hop out there, but it's buried beneath wannabe gangsters and whatnot.
What hip hop do you like to listen to by the way?
Outkast and the Wu Tang Clan are my favorites. I also really enjoy Aesop Rock, Blackalicious, Five Deez, Notorious B.I.G., The Roots, MC Solaar, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, A Tribe Called Qwest, and Roots Manuva. I really liked Illmatic but I haven't listened to much of Nas' later work.

I think it's okay to bring up other genres of music because I don't think the point is what makes dubstep popular or why it sucks. All genres have artists that are making great art, the question is why does the crap always sell better? MikeMovie touched on this when he pointed out that intellectual music will never be the best seller.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Outkast and the Wu Tang Clan are my favorites. I also really enjoy Aesop Rock, Blackalicious, Five Deez, Notorious B.I.G., The Roots, MC Solaar, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, A Tribe Called Qwest, and Roots Manuva. I really liked Illmatic but I haven't listened to much of Nas' later work.

I think it's okay to bring up other genres of music because I don't think the point is what makes dubstep popular or why it sucks. All genres have artists that are making great art, the question is why does the crap always sell better? MikeMovie touched on this when he pointed out that intellectual music will never be the best seller.
It's interesting that you mention that. Outkast and Wu-Tang are my two favorite groups also! Then Dead Prez, then A Tribe Called Quest, and many more.
My favorite rappers are Nas, Big L, KRS-ONE, Masta Ace, Mos Def, Kool G Rap, Biggie, Tupac, AZ, and that list goes on too.
My favorite producers are J Dilla AKA Jay Dee, The Rza, 9th Wonder, Bronze Nazareth, Dr. Dre, Ryan Leslie, Pete Rock, DJ Premiere, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure there is good Dubstep. Because i'm sure there are artists who care about that type of music and put their heart and soul into it.
It's up to the audience to support the best of the best, and make sure that their favorite artists never "fall off" or "lose it".

I'm not sure that will ever happen though unfortunately. But maybe!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 AM
I really have no problem with dubstep...it's always been a pretty underground genre here in the UK, in fact one of the most significant crossovers has happened in the past couple of years with the sublime not-strictly-dubstep James Blake appearing on a few music channels and competing for the Mercury Music Prize.

http://youtu.be/isIABK-0ohQ

http://youtu.be/oOT2-OTebx0

I kinda like Skream, Joy Orbison and Nero.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:11 AM
Im no fan, but I like some of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6jM4yRyHw
Old 09-24-2011, 05:12 AM
used to listen to it. loefah, early skream, digital mystikiz, boxcutter, zomby, martian were good but after living in Bristol where it is everywhere, i no longer listen to the genre. the sound is played out son!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't mind dubstep, I'd much rather listen to it than a rave song or dance number. It's funny that Lady V mentioned Nero, because I too have a liking for their music. This song being pretty fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwIuXXk8JtY

And for awesome recent rap music, check out REKS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7AU12LMB0

Last edited by Heisenberg; 09-24-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Old 09-25-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't personally have much against the sound itself of Dubstep, but I agree that it is incredibly lazy and the reason behind its popularity baffles me. I think that it's something easy that could be made on the computer, and sometimes it can actually be catchy, but it's nothing more than the cheap fuck of contemporary musical fads.

Now, I'm going to indulge in going way off-topic, because clearly this Thread is not afraid of venturing out so far. I loathe most radio rock/pop/hip-hop groups and their thoughtless rhymes. This is coming from somebody who enjoys Linkin Park, early Nickelback, and early Paramore. I really don't have anything against the "mainstream," but I contest that which populates it. I don't think we should worry about becoming mainstream, but rather cleaning out all of its pollution. I think that there have been a great many of "mainstream" artists who have done great things and have remarkable melodies/lyrics. I would most certainly consider David Bowie an example of this. It's just utter trife that is Lil Wayne, and that is Hannah Montana and Theory of a Dead Man. We need to take the mainstream back, man!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
Now, I'm going to indulge in going way off-topic, because clearly this Thread is not afraid of venturing out so far. I loathe most radio rock/pop/hip-hop groups and their thoughtless rhymes. This is coming from somebody who enjoys Linkin Park, early Nickelback, and early Paramore. I really don't have anything against the "mainstream," but I contest that which populates it. I don't think we should worry about becoming mainstream, but rather cleaning out all of its pollution. I think that there have been a great many of "mainstream" artists who have done great things and have remarkable melodies/lyrics. I would most certainly consider David Bowie an example of this. It's just utter trife that is Lil Wayne, and that is Hannah Montana and Theory of a Dead Man. We need to take the mainstream back, man!
So True.

We have gone from mainsteam acts like The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, 2-Pac, Guns & Roses, Elvis, Roy Orbison & Johnny Cash.

To Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Nsync, Kings Of Leon, Kanye West, Black Eyed Peas, Limp Biskit, Blink 182, Slipknot, My Chemical Romance, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Lil Wayne & Rihanna.

Now I do like Kayne West (Well his first album and his most recent) andI also like Avenged Sevenfold and My Chemical Romance (Both bands earlier stuff being their best work) and I'll always listen if Blink 182 or Paramore come on, both have some decent songs. But my point was that if you compare what has been mainsteam in the past to say, the last 20 years, you have very little to compare. This generation has seen some great mainstream bands like Blur, Radiohead, Oasis and Nirvana, but it's nothing compare to the music of the 60's, 70's & 80's.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
It's interesting that you mention that. Outkast and Wu-Tang are my two favorite groups also! Then Dead Prez, then A Tribe Called Quest, and many more.
My favorite rappers are Nas, Big L, KRS-ONE, Masta Ace, Mos Def, Kool G Rap, Biggie, Tupac, AZ, and that list goes on too.
My favorite producers are J Dilla AKA Jay Dee, The Rza, 9th Wonder, Bronze Nazareth, Dr. Dre, Ryan Leslie, Pete Rock, DJ Premiere, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure there is good Dubstep. Because i'm sure there are artists who care about that type of music and put their heart and soul into it.
It's up to the audience to support the best of the best, and make sure that their favorite artists never "fall off" or "lose it".

I'm not sure that will ever happen though unfortunately. But maybe!
Mike, you should check out a Japanese producer that goes by Nujabes. He does a lot of genre blending with jazzy samples and hip hop beats. A lot of his songs are "instrumentals" but he's worked with quite a few rappers, and I'm sure you'd enjoy those tunes. If you can find a tune called D.T.F.N. I think you'd love it.

Edit: here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcaRkLc2QQ
Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Mike, you should check out a Japanese producer that goes by Nujabes. He does a lot of genre blending with jazzy samples and hip hop beats. A lot of his songs are "instrumentals" but he's worked with quite a few rappers, and I'm sure you'd enjoy those tunes. If you can find a tune called D.T.F.N. I think you'd love it.

Edit: here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcaRkLc2QQ
I do love Nujabes (R.I.P). He was a great producer. I think it would have been awesome if he had gotten to work with more MC's before he died. I love all of his instrumentals. I still need to get some sort of compilation album, or instrumental album from him though. Know a good one to start with?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
So True.

We have gone from mainsteam acts like The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, 2-Pac, Guns & Roses, Elvis, Roy Orbison & Johnny Cash.

To Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Nsync, Kings Of Leon, Kanye West, Black Eyed Peas, Limp Biskit, Blink 182, Slipknot, My Chemical Romance, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Lil Wayne & Rihanna.

Now I do like Kayne West (Well his first album and his most recent) andI also like Avenged Sevenfold and My Chemical Romance (Both bands earlier stuff being their best work) and I'll always listen if Blink 182 or Paramore come on, both have some decent songs. But my point was that if you compare what has been mainsteam in the past to say, the last 20 years, you have very little to compare. This generation has seen some great mainstream bands like Blur, Radiohead, Oasis and Nirvana, but it's nothing compare to the music of the 60's, 70's & 80's.
Haha, I have to admit that I really love Paramore's first two albums and all of Linkin Park's work, but they're no comparison to acts such as Queen or The Beatles. I think that there are even more talented (or skilled, which is a term I prefer to use) acts than of yesteryears today, especially with social networking sites such as Youtube to "get out there," but there are just so many that a majority are blotted out by the overexposure of these studio-produced juggernauts.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I myself am not a dubstep fan. I have ALOT of friends who try to convince me to like it etc. I just can't find the jist of it. I prefer reggae, house, rap over it any day. But there are a few songs that I can tolerate from dubstep.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Dubstep = really dull, boring trance-like stuff with a few "effects" thrown in here and there for the kids on drugs.

That is all.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 PM
I can enjoy small doses of dubstep. The more inebriated the higher my tolerance. Most of what I've heard is very unimpressive, but If you're listening to it live you're probably on drugs, so that will distract from how bad it is.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
I like dubstep live. I like dubstep high. I like dubstep drunk. That's it.

But someone to be seen: Beardyman.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahs View Post
i honestly do not get it.

I have listened to countless dubstep songs (forced to, rather) and its all the same crap. It seems easy to make with no talent involved. I mean, what happened to just good electronica? I go to an art school for film and EVERYONE plays it to the point of stupidity.

So, What's everyone's opinions on dubstep?
I hope this fad fades out.
What you refer to as 'dubstep' is correctly called 'brostep' - just to englighten everyone. You can take a short look at this

It's basically a sub-genre of dubstep. True dubstep sounds more like UK Garage, and Bass music.

For examples of what "true" dubstep sounds like, Benji B put up an awesome showcase late last year which you can check out here

and for quick ones

Kode9 - Fat Larry Skank
SP:MC & LX One - Down
Soap Dodgers - Water Landing (anybody recognize which film the sample's from? should be easy)
Distance - Mind Control (recognize the sample?)
Kromestar - Thru The Blinds
DJ Madd - New Reality
Goli & Ashburner - Field of Vibrations (Benton Remix) (sample "From Beyond")

if you want to hear more stuff like the above, listen to Youngsta here or just get Youngsta's Rinse:14 release http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=9161

all the stuff I posted is real dubstep, not brostep everyone calls dubstep.

Real dubstep; Youngsta, Icicle, J:Kenzo, Kryptic Minds, Headhunter, Pinch, LX One, Biome, Benton, Distance, Kromestar etc
brostep; Caspa, Rusko, Datsik, Excision, Skrillex, etc.

Last edited by Digifruitella; 10-30-2011 at 01:39 AM..
Old 10-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
What you refer to as 'dubstep' is correctly called 'brostep' - just to englighten everyone. You can take a short look at this

It's basically a sub-genre of dubstep. True dubstep sounds more like UK Garage, and Bass music.

For examples of what "true" dubstep sounds like, Benji B put up an awesome showcase late last year which you can check out here

and for quick ones

Kode9 - Fat Larry Skank
SP:MC & LX One - Down
Soap Dodgers - Water Landing (anybody recognize which film the sample's from? should be easy)
Distance - Mind Control (recognize the sample?)
Kromestar - Thru The Blinds
DJ Madd - New Reality
Goli & Ashburner - Field of Vibrations (Benton Remix) (sample "From Beyond")

if you want to hear more stuff like the above, listen to Youngsta here or just get Youngsta's Rinse:14 release http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=9161

all the stuff I posted is real dubstep, not brostep everyone calls dubstep.

Real dubstep; Youngsta, Icicle, J:Kenzo, Kryptic Minds, Headhunter, Pinch, LX One, Biome, Benton, Distance, Kromestar etc
brostep; Caspa, Rusko, Datsik, Excision, Skrillex, etc.
Brostep. That's fucking awesome. I'm going to start calling it that around my friends that are fans of that shit.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Brostep. That's fucking awesome. I'm going to start calling it that around my friends that are fans of that shit.
I encourage you to! Spread the right term around

http://blog.rhapsody.com/2011/07/brostep.html

listen to the recs I posted, for some real dubstep though. It's tight

Last edited by Digifruitella; 10-30-2011 at 06:10 PM..