Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1241  
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSanchez View Post
Yeah...I purchased a lot with this sale. It's actually the first time I've ever taken advantage of the B&N sale. I'll still likely buy a couple come November, if that's when the next sale is going to be. But, if it does happen to come in February, I might actually be able to finish up the entire collection at once as I need about 30 total left to complete it.
Are you telling me you own all but 30 criterion movies? That's awesome. Do you have the out of prints as well?
Reply With Quote
  #1242  
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah...I own every single title that is OOP in one or another, which I mean I own at least the OOP version of every movie that's gone out of OOP or the re-issue if its available, not necessarily all versions of each release.


Luckily, when I started collecting Criterion, there wasn't a HUGE list of OOP titles, like there is now. It was mainly like the 15 or so OOP titles I had to dig for like This Is Spinal Tap, Straw Dogs, The Harder They Come, The Killer, Dead Ringers, Hard Boiled, the Hitchcock bunch, etc....

All the other ones that have gone out of print since, I had got them long beforehand, so I kind of lucked out.
Reply With Quote
  #1243  
Old 07-25-2011, 06:23 PM
The only OOP i've got is Silence of the Lambs. I really want Straw Dogs and the Killer though. I've got about 20 other Criterions though. Maybe in about 3 years i'll have all of them. I guess you've been collecting for a long time. I try and buy a Criterion whenever I can though. I have yet to buy a Criterion or see a Criterion film that i haven't really liked.
Reply With Quote
  #1244  
Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm a little short on freer funds so I had to make my choices very careful and sweet. Picked up Blow Out and Cronos on DVD. What makes me happy about the Blu-Ray releases are that they've also pushed down the prices of their DVD counter parts. Both films cost me $15 each on DVD.
Reply With Quote
  #1245  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm no Sam Sanchez, but for my standards I went a little crazay and got the following with this sale:

On Blu:

Diabolique
Paths of Glory
Days of Heaven
The Music Room
Naked
Smiles of a Summer Night
High and Low
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Solaris

On DVD:

Rossellini War Trilogy
Dusan Makavejev: Eclipse 18
Carl Theodor Dreyer Set
Wild Strawberries
Ugetsu
Sansho the Bailiff
Viridiana

...

and now to watch and starve.

Last edited by DaMovieMan; 08-01-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #1246  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Just got back from my last trip to pick up Criterions.


Here are all the Criterion DVD's I got during the sale.

Gimme Shelter
Chungking Express
In The Mood For Love
Throne Of Blood
Rashomon
Young Mr. Lincoln
Short Cuts
Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters
Still Walking
Sweet Smell Of Success
The Naked Prey
My Dinner With Andre
The Naked City
Insomnia
Pickup On South Street
Missing
Ali: Feat Eats The Soul
Hoop Dreams
Le Jour Se Leve
Scenes From A Marriage
The Great Dictator
Reply With Quote
  #1247  
Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Did anyone take advantage of the "Rules of the Game" deal from Criterion.com?
I ordered it a few days ago. It's going out of print so they were offering it at a discount price!
Reply With Quote
  #1248  
Old 09-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Did anyone take advantage of the "Rules of the Game" deal from Criterion.com?
I ordered it a few days ago. It's going out of print so they were offering it at a discount price!
That probably has to do with the fact that they're releasing another criterion of it in November.



I don't know if I will get it or not. It depends on the extras. I already have the last one they released.
Reply With Quote
  #1249  
Old 09-24-2011, 01:30 PM
That cover is godamn perfect though. I think I'm gonna cave and double-dip on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #1250  
Old 09-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I like this cover a lot more than the other one. I'll have to get it at some point. I'll probably 'Double Dip' too
I'm glad I got the other one while I still could though. That was one film that I always needed in my collection!
Reply With Quote
  #1251  
Old 09-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Yeah, I like this cover a lot more than the other one. I'll have to get it at some point. I'll probably 'Double Dip' too
I'm glad I got the other one while I still could though. That was one film that I always needed in my collection!
Agreed.

It's probably in the top 5 most essential Criterions in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #1252  
Old 09-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Agreed.

It's probably in the top 5 most essential Criterions in my opinion.
Well, it's certainly in my top 5 favorite Criterion French films! Although, it may very well be just as essential as my favorites! It'd be hard for me to say it's in my top 5 Criterion films though, because theres just so many great Criterions.
What others would you consider top 5 essential Criterion though? I always love recommendations
Reply With Quote
  #1253  
Old 09-24-2011, 07:02 PM
I know you didn't ask me, but it is an interesting question. 5 is too damn tough for me, but I somehow managed to cut it down to 10, though would love to make it around 25 or so. But here's 10 of my personal favorites:

Battle of Algiers
Bicycle Thieves
Diabolique
Eyes without a Face
Le Samourai
M
Pickpocket
Rififi
The Vanishing
Withnail & I


Kills me to leave other films like Ace In the Hole, Night of the Hunter, Sansho the Bailiff, Grand Illusion, 400 Blows, etc...

Last edited by SamSanchez; 09-24-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1254  
Old 09-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSanchez View Post
I know you didn't ask me, but it is an interesting question. 5 is too damn tough for me, but I somehow managed to cut it down to 10, though would have to make it around 25 or so. But here's 10 of my personal favorites:

Battle of Algiers
Bicycle Thieves
Diabolique
Eyes without a Face
Le Samourai
M
Pickpocket
Rififi
The Vanishing
Withnail & I


Kills me to leave other films like Ace In the Hole, Night of the Hunter, Sansho the Bailiff, Grand Illusion, 400 Blows, etc...
I haven't seen all of those, but Battle of Algiers, Rififi, and especially Le Samourai are among my favorite films of all time.
I appreciate the input, and i'll be sure to check out the ones I haven't seen!

A few of my favorites are the 400 blows, Band of Outsiders, Breathless, Army of Shadows, anything Jean Pierre Melville actually, High and Low, Kagemusha, anything Kurosawa too, and Blow Out.
But honestly the list could go on and on.

I most recently saw Days of Heaven for the first time, and really enjoyed that.
Reply With Quote
  #1255  
Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Well, it's certainly in my top 5 favorite Criterion French films! Although, it may very well be just as essential as my favorites! It'd be hard for me to say it's in my top 5 Criterion films though, because theres just so many great Criterions.
What others would you consider top 5 essential Criterion though? I always love recommendations
There are way too many great Criterions of course, with more coming out each month that add to the greatness. So it's nigh impossible to have an accurate top 5 or top any list of essential Criterions, especially since the list is bound to be subjective.

With that said though, if someone was to put a gun to my head and ask me to list the top 5 essential Criterion DVD/Blus one should own, I'd say, in no order,

Days of Heaven (because you won't find a better looking film)
The Rules of the Game (because the influences of its technique and script can still be found today)
Fanny and Alexander Box Set (because it's the best drama from one of the true masters of cinema)
The Seven Samurai (because it's the most entertaining film made from another true master)
8 1/2 (because you won't find a better film about film)

It helps that all have excellent special features, most can be found on Blu Ray (for Days of Heaven, that's pretty much essential) and all hail from different corners of the world which gives you an overall picture of world cinema.

Of course, there's too many to mention (like Vampyr, Children of Paradise, M, Breathless, Rashomon, The Seventh Seal, Bicycle Thieves, Wages of Fear, Au Hazard Balthazar, and so so many more) that are deserving of the top five.
Reply With Quote
  #1256  
Old 09-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
There are way too many great Criterions of course, with more coming out each month that add to the greatness. So it's nigh impossible to have an accurate top 5 or top any list of essential Criterions, especially since the list is bound to be subjective.

With that said though, if someone was to put a gun to my head and ask me to list the top 5 essential Criterion DVD/Blus one should own, I'd say, in no order,

Days of Heaven (because you won't find a better looking film)
The Rules of the Game (because the influences of its technique and script can still be found today)
Fanny and Alexander Box Set (because it's the best drama from one of the true masters of cinema)
The Seven Samurai (because it's the most entertaining film made from another true master)
8 1/2 (because you won't find a better film about film)

It helps that all have excellent special features, most can be found on Blu Ray (for Days of Heaven, that's pretty much essential) and all hail from different corners of the world which gives you an overall picture of world cinema.

Of course, there's too many to mention (like Vampyr, Children of Paradise, M, Breathless, Rashomon, The Seventh Seal, Bicycle Thieves, Wages of Fear, Au Hazard Balthazar, and so so many more) that are deserving of the top five.
Ah yes, many of the ones you mentioned are among my favorites. I haven't seen Fanny and Alexander yet, but I can't wait to. I'm glad I managed to get Battle of Algiers and Days of Heaven on bluray. I also got Kiss Me Deadly on bluray, and haven't seen that one yet.
Is Kiss Me Deadly any good?

I look forward to the release of 12 Angry Men later this year. And the second round Barnes and Noble Criterion sale. Seeing as I only have about 30-40 Criterions, I have a ways to go.
How is the 400 Blows Criterion release?
I have been reluctant to by it because I have the Fox Lorber 400 Blows release.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #1257  
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Ah yes, many of the ones you mentioned are among my favorites. I haven't seen Fanny and Alexander yet, but I can't wait to. I'm glad I managed to get Battle of Algiers and Days of Heaven on bluray. I also got Kiss Me Deadly on bluray, and haven't seen that one yet.
Is Kiss Me Deadly any good?

I look forward to the release of 12 Angry Men later this year. And the second round Barnes and Noble Criterion sale. Seeing as I only have about 30-40 Criterions, I have a ways to go.
How is the 400 Blows Criterion release?
I have been reluctant to by it because I have the Fox Lorber 400 Blows release.
Thanks.

I didn't see Kiss Me Deadly, and you should get 400 Blows, it's excellent on Criterion (from what I can remember, it was just a rental for me and I'm personally not a huge Truffaut fan but if there's any movie I'd get by him on Criterion, it's 400 blows).

Oh and wait for Fanny and Alexander on Blu Ray, it's a spectacular looking film.

Next B&N Criterion sale is 21st Oct - 7th Nov so start saving
Reply With Quote
  #1258  
Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
I didn't see Kiss Me Deadly, and you should get 400 Blows, it's excellent on Criterion (from what I can remember, it was just a rental for me and I'm personally not a huge Truffaut fan but if there's any movie I'd get by him on Criterion, it's 400 blows).

Oh and wait for Fanny and Alexander on Blu Ray, it's a spectacular looking film.

Next B&N Criterion sale is 21st Oct - 7th Nov so start saving
Good to know! I asked a guy and B & N the other day and he said "I'm not sure, I think some time in November."

But I'm glad it's starting in October. I'll probably pick up the 400 Blows this time. I considered it during the last sale but ditched it in favor of some criterions that I had never seen before.
I'll probably also pick up a few Kurosawa's that I don't own, and any Melville's that I don't own.

I actually just picked up "Leon Morin, Priest" today from movie stop. It was 19.99. It would have been 29.99 at Barnes and Noble.

Also, did anyone take advantage of the 50% off all Bluray's deals that B and N did about two weeks ago?
I only found out about it on the last day unfortunately. But they were doing a big 1-2 week long sale. Every bluray was 50% off. Even the criterions. Members saved an extra 10 percent.
I picked up a couple. I think 4.
Reply With Quote
  #1259  
Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Just picked up 'Short Cuts' today at movie stop. It was used, and in great condition. It was 8 dollars and change. Not bad. This is the 6th or 7th excellent condition criterion I've found at movie stop. I'm going to keep going.
After B & N Criterion Sales, there is an influx of used, excellent condition Criterions at moviestop, because everyones turning in there old copies for bluray versions and what not.
I look forward to this.
Reply With Quote
  #1260  
Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Just picked up 'Short Cuts' today at movie stop. It was used, and in great condition. It was 8 dollars and change. Not bad. This is the 6th or 7th excellent condition criterion I've found at movie stop. I'm going to keep going.
After B & N Criterion Sales, there is an influx of used, excellent condition Criterions at moviestop, because everyones turning in there old copies for bluray versions and what not.
I look forward to this.

I was online at the cd tradepost website and I noticed at one of the locations there was a bunch of criterions. I think the same guy brought quite a few in. Most of them are around $15. Maybe he is moving up to blurays also.
Reply With Quote
  #1261  
Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I was online at the cd tradepost website and I noticed at one of the locations there was a bunch of criterions. I think the same guy brought quite a few in. Most of them are around $15. Maybe he is moving up to blurays also.
Yeah, i'm weird. I don't go for all DVD or all Bluray. 3/4 of my criterions are DVD and 1/4 is Blu ray, roughly.
I just want to own all the movies, as cheap as possible, and in the best condition.
Later down the road I'll probably upgrade my favorite ones, or ones that have more content on Bluray.
Reply With Quote
  #1262  
Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
I did some snooping around and it looks like the Criterion sale starts on the 1st of November and goes through the 21st.


Over at amazon, they have some good deals on criterions.

http://www.amazon.com/Criterion-Coll...F8&node=285082

Last edited by Matchbox225; 10-19-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1263  
Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I did some snooping around and it looks like the Criterion sale starts on the 1st of November and goes through the 21st.


Over at amazon, they have some good deals on criterions.

http://www.amazon.com/Criterion-Coll...F8&node=285082
Yeah, I went to BN today to place my order. The guy there told me it started the 1st. So it's cool.

I found the "60's Samurai Swordplay Box Set" thing for 37 bucks today! I bought it. It was used, but in great condition. Not a bad deal. That's basically 4 Criterions for 40 bucks. Pretty cool.
Reply With Quote
  #1264  
Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Only a few days away. What's everyone getting?
Reply With Quote
  #1265  
Old 10-30-2011, 03:24 AM
I am now officially poor (having just bought a pre-construction condo) so unfortunately, it's just gonna be an upgrade for me (from the Dazed and Confused Criterion DVD to the new Criterion blu-ray).
Reply With Quote
  #1266  
Old 10-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
I am now officially poor (having just bought a pre-construction condo) so unfortunately, it's just gonna be an upgrade for me (from the Dazed and Confused Criterion DVD to the new Criterion blu-ray).
Well seeing as your favorite movie appears to be Dazed and Confused, it's not a bad idea

I'm not exactly rolling in dough right now either. I may only get 4 or 5 titles. But I ordered 28 to Barnes... Which ones to pick :/
Reply With Quote
  #1267  
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM
I won't be getting as many as last time either. I don't have any of the Powell and Pressburger criterions so I might start there.
Reply With Quote
  #1268  
Old 11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Just placed an order for:
Dazed and Confused
Bottle Rocket

There's rumors there's going to be a 50% coupon, so I'm going to wait and see, if so I'll snatch up the three color trilogy and possibly the america lost and found collection.
Reply With Quote
  #1269  
Old 11-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I only got 2 today.



Reply With Quote
  #1270  
Old 11-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Probably gonna get Sanjuro and Yojimbo on bluray,
Will also probably get Che, and The Human Condition. Those are all pretty expensive box sets.
I might also get Harakiri, and Mishima: A life in Four Chapters.

Going tomorrow. I'll have to see.
Reply With Quote
  #1271  
Old 11-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Just got Mishima, The Element of Crime, Europa, and the Spy Who Came in From the Cold. Pretty cool.
Reply With Quote
  #1272  
Old 11-06-2011, 01:10 AM
I ordered Taste Of Cherry, Yi Yi and Fires On The Plain to be shipped to the closest Barnes And Noble to me. Should be about 5 days.
Reply With Quote
  #1273  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 AM
So far, I've purchased:

Life During Wartime
Identification of a Woman
Secret Sunshine
Carlos
Reply With Quote
  #1274  
Old 11-08-2011, 05:57 PM
My order arrived today and I went and got them.



Reply With Quote
  #1275  
Old 11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I got 4 more today.




Reply With Quote
  #1276  
Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I got 4 more today.




NICE PICKS!
Reply With Quote
  #1277  
Old 11-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Last day and this is what I got.


Reply With Quote
  #1278  
Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 AM
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7905
Reply With Quote
  #1279  
Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
I haven't bought a Criterion in forever (love their discs, but I can't afford to risk the dough on some of the films I haven't seen) but I was grinning like a fool when I saw that Gojira/Godzilla was up for release next month. Yay.
Reply With Quote
  #1280  
Old 01-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Barnes and Noble has a buy 2 get the 3rd free sale at the moment and I had a $25 gift card so I splurged on the following Criterions:





Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump