Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Which words would you like to remove from the English language?

Quote:
Collins lexicographers have compiled a list of words that have become obsolete by tracking how often we use them. The list includes an interesting mixture; from "wittol", used to describe a man who tolerates his wife's unfaithfulness, to "alienism", the study and treatment of mental illness. These words will now be omitted from the publisher's smaller, general-use dictionaries.

Which words would you like to see removed from the English language altogether? One that annoys you? A single word that brings up bad memories? A profanity that you can't bear to hear? Whether old or new, what word should never be spoken again?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ish-dictionary

Mine's "ISLAMOPHOBIA".

The word has implications that its bigoted to hate the Muslim religion.

Religions claim something unproven. We should have the right to hate all religions and all cults without worrying about being branded a bigot. We should have the right to hate any point of view without being branded a bigot.

This isn't like hating gay people, for example. Homophobia is inane disgusting bigotry. You simply can't know someone just by knowing they're gay. There's the difference between true bigotry and the pseudo-bigotry of Islamophobia.

I'm not suggesting we blindly hate all Muslims. Not all Muslims follow the religion word for word. Although, I would argue that either an adherent follows all of it word for word or they're not a true follower. And some people are forced to follow the faith, either from State opression or family opression, but again such people aren't genuine followers.

Islam is clearly defined, and therefore its true followers are also defined. And if we don't like that definition, we have a right to hate it.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
You simply can't know someone just by knowing they're gay.
But you can "know" someone just by knowing that they're Muslim?

How is that not bigotry?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
But you can "know" someone just by knowing that they're Muslim?

How is that not bigotry?
I think its more that how "Muslim" any one person is is based on their personal decisions while being gay is not. I've known a few Muslim ppl who only really put any stock into it cause it got them a few extra days off of work. While if you're gay you're gay.

Now how flamboyant a gay person chooses to act is another story.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
A word is simply a combination of letters that when put together have a certain meaning behind it.
It's up to the user to use a word correctly. It's up to the user to understand the definition of the word they're using.

I don't think it'd be right to remove any word from our dictionary.

For the word "Islamophobia", If it's definition is "fear of the religion of Islam" then apparently there are enough people who have potentially an ignorant fear of the religion. Therefore it warrants such a word.

There are people who dislike all religions. I'm one of them. If someone doesn't like a certain religion, that doesn't make them a bigot. However, if someone is ignorant of a religion, and blindly bashes it and all practicers of that religion, then that person is a bigot.

Many of my friends are Christians, I don't shun them. Or get mad at them. Or try and convert them.
However, one of them is a homophobic ass hole who tries to claim that all gays will burn in hell.
That's the kind of person I have a problem with.

Equally, if someone believes that all practicers of a particular religion should die a horrible death, then I have a problem with that kind of person too.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Quote:
I re-read your post, and realised that you didn't advocate the hating of all Muslims. Instead, you presented a rational discourse on why hating a religion and its fundamentalist followers doesn't merit the stigma of bigotry
There, fixed it for you.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM
So, I actually did just re-read your post, and I thought that, although you sound incredibly misinformed on this subject, perhaps the part I quoted was just poor wording and I jumped the gun in calling you a bigot. I started to write a more in-depth response...

...and then I saw this:

Quote:
One thing the commies got right was banning religion. Its just a fucking mess.
So, yeah, I maintain my initial stance. Anyone who thinks that people should be criminalized for perceived thought crimes is a bigot. No need to edit my post for me.

Last edited by Squid Vicious; 09-27-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Quote:
. After thinking about, I realised that the criminalization of religion is justified. Nobody can prove God, yet many teach/misteach there is a God. This often leads to the corruption of the weak, the dividing of people, and the spread of hatred. Banning religion would therefore be a sensible policy, making the world a friendlier place.
There, fixed it for you.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
"pretentious"

A word that is occasionally used in an appropriate circumstance, but generally just exposes a laziness to how you analyze something.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Quote:
There, fixed it for you.
As much as I agree with you on most of this

Quote:
After thinking about, I realised that the criminalization of religion is justified. Nobody can prove God, yet many teach/misteach there is a God. This often leads to the corruption of the weak, the dividing of people, and the spread of hatred. Banning religion would therefore be a sensible policy, making the world a friendlier place.
I think this

Quote:
One thing the commies got right was banning religion. Its just a fucking mess.
Is still the wrong step. Banning religion is a terrible idea. The Japanese tried to ban Christianity, and would crucify anyone who practiced the religion.
That's just as bad as any execution of someone who doesn't think the same thing as you.

People should be free to follow whatever religion they want. Freedom should be the ultimate goal, not banning religion. Banning anything is the reduction of freedom.

People obviously can't be totally free to do whatever, because that would be anarchy. Seeing as there will always be inhumane people, we need some type of constabulary to keep people in check.

But if you banned religion, people would still practice it. And because their freedom is being held back by the government, revolution may ensue.

If you want to see the end of religion, and it's ideologies, just give it time.

Every decade there are less and less people who practice religion. Do you honestly think a discussion like this would have been possible 200 years ago? We'd be executed for having an opinion like this.

That mentality dies away as more and more people become educated. Instead of killing muslims we should educate them. Superstition dies with education.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
If you want to see the end of religion, and it's ideologies, just give it time.

Every decade there are less and less people who practice religion. Do you honestly think a discussion like this would have been possible 200 years ago? We'd be executed for having an opinion like this.

That mentality dies away as more and more people become educated. Instead of killing muslims we should educate them. Superstition dies with education.
There's a lot of truth to that.

The call for a ban was just impatience talking.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Quote:
There's a lot of truth to that.

The call for a ban was just impatience talking.
I'm confident that the human race will advance
We wont be smashing each others faces forever!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Is this like book burning? Let's just get rid of the words we don't like, because we don't like them. Silly idea.

My first thought was the word nigger. I hate that word. But then I think, we shoudl keep it and use it as an example of what not to say to polite society. Let's rise above people.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Some words have become or are obsolete or unnecessary. Removing them is hardly book burning.

"Nigger" is neither obsolete or unnecessary, and neither should it be whitewashed out of historical books.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Yes there is alot of words which should not be said to anyone
Nigger is a word that was brought forward to negro americans and proberly still used today which is a shame
In many cultures there is name calling but l wont go into that

But l know one word that gets on my nerves and it is always used in sentances when you are angry or just in a plain conversation with a person

It is the word FUCK

I just dont understand why we have to say that it is so demeaning and alot of girls and boys these days use it when they are talking to each other in a pleasant conversation
Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Minnesota vikings
Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Quote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ish-dictionary

Mine's "ISLAMOPHOBIA".

The word has implications that its bigoted to hate the Muslim religion.

Religions claim something unproven. We should have the right to hate all religions and all cults without worrying about being branded a bigot. We should have the right to hate any point of view without being branded a bigot.

This isn't like hating gay people, for example. Homophobia is inane disgusting bigotry. You simply can't know someone just by knowing they're gay. There's the difference between true bigotry and the pseudo-bigotry of Islamophobia.

I'm not suggesting we blindly hate all Muslims. Not all Muslims follow the religion word for word. Although, I would argue that either an adherent follows all of it word for word or they're not a true follower. And some people are forced to follow the faith, either from State opression or family opression, but again such people aren't genuine followers.

Islam is clearly defined, and therefore its true followers are also defined. And if we don't like that definition, we have a right to hate it.

Well it is true we should have the right to not like certain things like you have worded here but sometimes people put up a fight to keep them so it continues on

That is why like freedom of speech to say what we feel but half of the time we are stopped from doing this

Even things in Australia have changed because certain things are used and we cant stop the use of certain words that are used in society knowing that alot of people are against it

Last edited by Bondgirl; 09-27-2011 at 11:42 PM..
Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 AM
"Terrorism"

That word has been abused and misunderstood so much over the past decade it's lost all meaning.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM
"Mock" - Never liked the word, don't particularly like the meaning. Just sounds like shit, really.

Love words like "fuck", "twat" and "cunt". All should be used more often!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
"Webinar" (IE: web seminar, get it?) and other such bullshit made-up words that have come from office-speak.

Juxtaposition - I've always hated this word, mostly because it doesn't sound like a real word. It sounds made up, like webinar.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Moist.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM
"Awesome," because it's the most abused and misused word in the whole language. It was once a great word. Let it die with dignity.

"Spectacular" and "magnificent" and any other word that's synonymous with 500 other words can also go.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Words are wind, I love them all.
Since its all arbitrary anyway, why would you want to unlearn something.
I wouldn't really mind never hearing people refer to the zeitgeist anymore though...and the term double-negative.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Geez l would llike to get rid of internet langage
There are so many words that are abbreivated and sometimes you wouldnt have a clue in what some people are saying

Also they use this in real life when they could use the proper way of explaining ones self

Last edited by Bondgirl; 09-29-2011 at 03:06 AM..
Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Cunt.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 PM
epic. -_-
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 PM
weapons of mass destruction
Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Some words have become or are obsolete or unnecessary. Removing them is hardly book burning.

"Nigger" is neither obsolete or unnecessary, and neither should it be whitewashed out of historical books.
Silliest idea ever! You just can't erase history, because you don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
But l know one word that gets on my nerves and it is always used in sentances when you are angry or just in a plain conversation with a person

It is the word FUCK
Fuck is the greatest word ever. I fucking love to fuck that fucking hot ass fucking girl. There is a great Orson Wells clip of him saying the definition of the word Fuck. Classic. Epic (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by athf1980 View Post
Minnesota vikings
Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
"Webinar" (IE: web seminar, get it?) and other such bullshit made-up words that have come from office-speak.
I love the word Webinar. I love all these made up words to describe the convergence of the internet and business world. I am part of webinars at least twice a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
"Awesome," because it's the most abused and misused word in the whole language. It was once a great word. Let it die with dignity.
I AM THE ERRONEOUS AND I AM AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoYubari View Post
epic. -_-
The Dark Knight is Epic! It is over used, but it is a great word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athf1980 View Post
weapons of mass destruction
Unless you are using the word to describe a female's body parts. It seems that Scar Jo's boobs are WMD to many joblo ers here.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Geez Erroneous

That Fuckin word Fuck is annoying when you are trying to make a conversation with a person

i just hate it been said constantly and it just sounds bad
Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Unless you are using the word to describe a female's body parts. It seems that Scar Jo's boobs are WMD to many joblo ers here.
I'd mass-destruct all over Scarlett's tits!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Geez Erroneous

That Fuckin word Fuck is annoying when you are trying to make a conversation with a person

i just hate it been said constantly and it just sounds bad
The late great Bernie Mac had an awesome (epic if you will) skit about how you could have a whole conversation just using the words "mother fucker" in the movie The Original Kings of Comedy.

Quote:
When you're listening to one of our conversations you might here the word MOTHER FUCKER about 32 times. Don't be afraid of the word MOTHER FUCKER... Imma break it down to ya... If you're out there this afternoon and you see like 3 or 4 brothers talkin', you might hear a conversation and it goes like this: You seen that MOTHER FUCKIN' Bobby? That MOTHER FUCKER owes me 35 MOTHER FUCKEN dollars! He told me he gone pay my MOTHER FUCKEN money last MOTHER FUCKEN week. I aint seen this MOTHER FUCKER yet! I'm not gonna chase this MOTHER FUCKER for my 35 MOTHER FUCKEN dollars. I called the MOTHER FUCKER four MOTHER FUCKEN times... but the MOTHER FUCKER won't call me back. I called his momma the other MOTHER FUCKEN day... she gonna play like the MOTHER FUCKER wasn't in. I started to cuss her MOTHER FUCKEN ass out, but I don't want no MOTHER FUCKEN trouble. But I'll tell ya one MOTHER FUCKEN thang... the next MOTHER FUCKEN time I see this MOTHER FUCKER... and he ain't got my MOTHER FUCKEN money... I'm gonna bust - his - MOTHER FUCKEN head! And I'm OUT this MOTHA FUCKA!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAuGFtwsl7I

RIP Bernie I miss you!

Last edited by Erroneous; 09-29-2011 at 11:06 PM..
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
I'd mass-destruct all over Scarlett's tits!
EPIC! Very funny.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Why is it that alot of people except the word of have just stated

I didnt want to say it again

I have never heard of Bernie mac

Who was he and what did he do as a career

oh l also hate swearing in movies l think there is no need for it
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Umm looked up Bernie Mac

Not sure whether l have the right bloke Erroneous
it says that he was a comedian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Mac
i found him on Wikipedia
he had a very big career in film

Also l was having a look at what he has done over the years and wouldnt mind seeing if l can come across any of the old shows
I was surprised he was raised by his mum and never had his father there

Last edited by Bondgirl; 09-29-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 PM
The Mullet picture above is the equivalent to this:

Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Geez that reminds me of my dvd collection