Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Hip-Hop

Seeing as I couldn't find a thread already on the topic, and since there seems to be some fans of the genre here on these boards.
So all things hip hop here

Anything from your top 10 albums, top 10 musicians, top 10 songs, recommendations, upcoming albums, news, local acts, concerts, etc...

Have fun.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Countdown to some ignorant schmoe entering the thread and putting down hip hop and its fans because they think it's all like Lil Wayne in 3... 2...
Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Hip hop is so stupid. It shouldn't even be considered music. Lil Wayne and all of hip hop is just crap!
Get out of here with this thread
Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm equally worried about people who post Lil wayne, and what not as their favorites and think that's all hip hop should be!

But seriously, hopefully we can get some real discussion before that happens.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:11 PM
A rough top ten album list, liable to change as I think of more of my favorite hip hop albums.

1. Enter the Wu-Tang, Wu-Tang Clan
2. Illmatic tied with Stillmatic, and (Untitled), Nas
3. Let's Get Free, Dead Prez
4. Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous, Big L
5. Aquemini, Outkast
6. Rough Draft, J-Dilla
7. Southernpalalisticadillacmusi, Outkast
8. ATLiens, Outkast
9. Ready to Die, B.I.G.
10. Midnight Marauders, A Tribe Called Quest

Theres a lot of runner ups, and i'm sure i'm forgetting a few of my top 10.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Anyone actually make hip-hop? Jazz? Blues? Etc...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I play bass in an experimental hip-hop group called Vietnambla. We've played a few shows this year. It's fun. It's definitely not for everyone, but we enjoy ourselves.

I also dig hip-hop... I grew up with it because of my older brother. I remember the days he used to crack open stuff like the Chronic and 36 Chambers...

Some of my favorite albums are:

Gza - Liquid Swords
Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East & Wrath of the Math
Warcloud - Nightmares That Surface from Shallow Sleep
Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded & By Any Means Necessary
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 2
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Bobby Digital in Stereo
Dr. Dre - The Chronic

I also really dig Outkast - Southernpalalisticadillacmusi

As you can tell, I really dig Wu-Tang. All those guys have a lot of talent.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 PM
That's really awesome. I certainly enjoy all the people you've mentioned that I recognize. Not familiar with Warcloud though. I'll have to check that out.

I'm a producer myself. I'm working with an MC, we've got some shows coming up soon.
What sort of sound is your group? Sounds cool, live instrumentation is almost always a good thing. It really livens up the act.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 PM
As far as the sound goes, the closest I could think of might be something along the lines of Rage Against the Machine (mostly because of the guitarist). But the delivery is nowhere like their music... I guess you can judge for yourself:

This is a show we played earlier in the year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llo1RQTrmDU

Do you have any of your tracks up somewhere? I'd like to listen to em.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM
I thought the instrumentals were fine, but the MC reminded me of the guy who did the fanny pack song lol!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
Do you have any of your tracks up somewhere? I'd like to listen to em.
I have a lot of instrumentals that I've made, on my computer. I can send a few of them to you. But because I'm a producer, I don't like putting stuff up online. It's so easy to record music right off of youtube or off of myspace. And since I don't like tagging, it makes things tricky.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Love hip hop from the 90's. Lately... not so much.

Recovery (Eminem), Blueprint 3 (Jay-Z), Sickology 101 (Tech N9ne), and Sir Lucious (Big Boi) are the only decent rap albums I've heard in the last few years. I'll put out a top 10 list later on. Need to actually think about it.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Love hip hop from the 90's. Lately... not so much.

Recovery (Eminem), Blueprint 3 (Jay-Z), Sickology 101 (Tech N9ne), and Sir Lucious (Big Boi) are the only decent rap albums I've heard in the last few years. I'll put out a top 10 list later on. Need to actually think about it.
I look forward to seeing your list! I loved Sir Lucious Left Foot: Son of Chico Dusty and thought it was the best hip hop album of last year. I missed Sickology but I heard K.O.D. and All 6's and 7's, both of which I thought were pretty decent.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Good to see some Hip-Hop heads and no bashing of the genre yet...

But yeah, I just performed for a 3rd time on September 2nd and I've been writing/recording/mixing and mastering my own music for almost 10 years. Wish I could produce too but I just don't have the patience...

I really listen to a varitey of artists but some of my current favs are Apathy, Tech N9ne (He's becoming more mainstream but All 6's n 7's was still solid), Cage (Movies for the Blind mostly), Jedi Mind Tricks (Saw Ill Bill & Vinnie Paz on 4/20 in Toronto), Necro, Saigon & Lupe Fiasco. I don't really listen to the radio or watch music videos much, not everything on there is bad, just not really what I prefer.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Hell yeah, Blistah. Necro rocks. People say hip-hop is dead, but how can it be when you have Necro dropping Die! in 2010? That album rocked. His rhymes are vicious.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Gonna go ahead and list my 5 favorite Nas songs, and why.

1. What Goes Around - From the album, Stillmatic - I love everything about this song. The lyrics are classic Nas. Nothing wrong with them. Not his best, but nothing wrong with them. The subject matter is Nas at the top of his form in my opinion. The beat is spot on, and memorable. I can listen to this song over and over.

2. It Aint Hard To Tell - From the Album, Illmatic - I think this is Nas's most technically proficient song. The way he rhymes, and flows is just perfect in this song. Plus I love the sampled beat. Nothing wrong with that either.

3. NY State of Mind - From, Illmatic - You could almost pick any song from Illmatic, and it'd be excellent. But for me, this is the song I always think of when I think of Illmatic. It's very descriptive, and really represents the whole album.

4. Lifes a Bitch - Feat. AZ, From Illmatic - This song got me into AZ. AZ is the only featured rapper on the album, and that's good because only AZ could really keep up with Nas lyrically. And thats what a feature should be. It should be as good if not better than the main artist. You don't want a feature to slow you down. AZ keeps up with Nas in every way.
Great rhymes, excellent flow, and excellent beat.Also, props to Olu Dara!

5. Black president - From Untitled Album - I always love it when an artist makes you think. And very few artists make me think as much as Nas does. This song may not belong in my top 5. But it certainly shouldn't be missed. One of my favorite songs from the Untitled Album. Plus a great sample from Tupac.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Finally got around to checking out J. Coles debut. "Cole World" was alright. It wasn't what I was hoping for from the Roc Nation signed artist. It's as if everything that made him so great was watered down for his debut album. The album was almost entirely mainstream sounding crap.
There were a small handful of good songs.
But not enough to keep me solidly satisfied. It went from my most anticipated album to my biggest disappointment.
I feel that I can hardly blame Cole himself. He dropped 3 excellent mixtapes before this album. One of which got him signed by multi-multi-multi-multi-super-millionaire Jay-Z.

Early J. Cole was great. His lyrics were always on point and emphasized. He always had soulful, new-school sampled beats produced by himself. Clever punchlines. Deep subject matter. A great unique flow. The list goes on.

For his debut album, his deep subject matter was almost no where to be found. There were 16 songs on the album. None of which were the initial badass single "Who Dat".
The original sequel had an excellent beat, and humorous bragadocious punchlines. It got me pumped for the album. However, several months after "Who Dat"s release, It was announced that it wouldn't be on the final album.
the reason being that it hadn't done as well as J. Cole had hoped. The single only peaked at 94 on the hot 100. Apparently J. Cole and Jay-Z wanted a higher charting single to further the upcoming star.
But why did they have to scrap 'Who Dat' completely? They could have just created a second single, and had that dominate airwaves. The first didn't have to get scrapped from the album.

I was quite excited for the second single. I thought, if the first one was that good and only peaked at 94, then the second one will be off the hook.

It finally debuted, and I was disappointed. The beat lacked compared to the previous single. The lyrics weren't nearly as witty. And worst of all, it employed J. Cole ripping off Kanye West's flow.
I'm not even a huge fan of Kanye West's flow. So when J. Cole copies it for himself, it's somewhat frustrating for me.

But I still had faith for the debut album. It had to get better. Unfortunately, It didn't.

Originally, it was stated by J. Cole that he would follow in the footsteps of Nas. His debut album would have no famous guest appearances besides his mentor, Jay-Z. This was somewhat disappointing news. Originally he wanted to get Nas featured on the album as well. He also mentioned Andre 3000 from Outkast as a possible feature.
Now it was to be Jay-Z only. That's okay though. As a debut, maybe that would be a good move.

However, about a month before the release, J. Cole announced the track listing. The track listing detailed the name of each song that would make the album, plus which songs featured who.

Shockingly, Jay-Z wasn't the only feature. Unfortunately, Nas and Andre 3000 weren't included as features either.

Instead the features included Missy Eliot, Drake, Trey Songz, and of course Jay-Z.

At this point I had to wonder how in control of the album J. Cole really was. He clearly stated his intentions early on. J. Cole wanted a deep album, with no famous guest appearances by Jay-Z. Plus, Who Dat was the single.

That morphed into an album that features a handful of mainstream celebrities, a lot of commercial tracks, and no 'who dat' on the album.

The Drake featured song was even a bigger insult. The title of this song was "In the Morning", and it was prominently featured on J. Coles last mixtape. That's right. It wasn't created for this album. It was just copied and pasted from the mixtape to the album. It wasn't re-performed either. It was literally copy and pasted over to the album.

Surprisingly, this wasn't the only song on the debut album that previously belonged to one of Cole's mixtapes. The other song that had been previously released years earlier was "Lights Please", the song that initially impressed Jay-Z into signing J. Cole.

Overall, the album wasn't on the level of Cole's previous mixtapes. It lacked the depth that made the majority of his mixtapes so good. It lacked the soul. It lacked the heart. It lacked the real Cole. Instead it included a dumbed down J. Cole that better fit Jay-Z's vision of what Cole could and should be.

I'd give the album a 7 out of 10. Not bad, but not great either. Maybe I'll warm up to the Side Line Story some day. But for right now, it does nothing but disappoint me.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 AM
The most exciting artists in Hip-Hop today are Tyler The Creator/OFWGKTA (All of these kids) and Death Grips.

If you're into Hip-Hop, I'm sure you've heard of Tyler/Odd Future. But, Death Grips is still pretty underground. This is some of the craziest most intense rap music ever. Coolest music I've heard in a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htl3XWUhUOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFmZ6WDkuj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnsI67bHpmk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTEscgVDnAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtbAgynP8iY

The beats are out of this world. I never heard anything that sounds like this. The rapper (His name is not known) is the angriest dude ever and he's rapping style is infectious. Like a cross between ODB and angry Homer Simpson.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 10-01-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Old 10-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Anyone actually make hip-hop? Jazz? Blues? Etc...
I used to rhyme a few years ago, but I gave it up 'cuz there wasn't much of an audience for my style where I live. Here's some shit I did from around when I was 19/20: www.myspace.com/emaestromusic

I also play(ed) jazz piano

Anyway, I've been really turned off by most new music, so I haven't listened to the radio/watched MTVBET in YEARS. I only check in with artists that I was already fans of (Nas, Eminem, Wu-Tang etc). I've also been diggin' on mostly underground kats like Apathy, ill bill etc. I don't listen to nearly as much hiphop/rap as I used to, but it will always have a place in my heart

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 10-01-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
I used to rhyme a few years ago, but I gave it up 'cuz there wasn't much of an audience for my style where I live. Here's some shit I did from around when I was 19/20: www.myspace.com/emaestromusic

I also play(ed) jazz piano

Anyway, I've been really turned off by most new music, so I haven't listened to the radio/watched MTVBET in YEARS. I only check in with artists that I was already fans of (Nas, Eminem, Wu-Tang etc). I've also been diggin' on mostly underground kats like Apathy, ill bill etc. I don't listen to nearly as much hiphop/rap as I used to, but it will always have a place in my heart
Really enjoyin it. You shouldn't have stopped, you could have had an album going.
If you ever want to start up again, let me know. I can supply you with a couple of instrumentals !

I'm a huge fan of Nas, lookin forward to his new album later this year.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 PM
http://rap.about.com/od/toppicks/ss/Top50Producers.htm

This is about.coms list of top 50 hip hop producers. I found this list to be an interesting read.
I agree with most of the list, but certainly not all of it. What do you all think of the list?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Really enjoyin it. You shouldn't have stopped, you could have had an album going.
If you ever want to start up again, let me know. I can supply you with a couple of instrumentals
Thank ya, sir. I'd love to check out what ya got, even if I don't use 'em.

Quote:
http://rap.about.com/od/toppicks/ss/Top50Producers.htm

This is about.coms list of top 50 hip hop producers. I found this list to be an interesting read.
I agree with most of the list, but certainly not all of it. What do you all think of the list?
I couldn't agree more with #1, the rest of the list isn't too bad either...

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 10-05-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Thank ya, sir. I'd love to check out what ya got, even if I don't use 'em.
If you want to PM me your email, I can send you one that way.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more with #1, the rest of the list isn't too bad either...
Certainly. DJ Premier is one of the greatest. He's not my number one, but he's def in my top 5.
The one thing I didn't like about the list was having J Dilla all the way up at 15. DJ Quik is great but he was 1 ahead of Dilla which is weird to me.
Also, the Neptunes were ahead of Organized Noize. I love both, but I think Organized Noize has made more substantial beats.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
Hell yeah, Blistah. Necro rocks. People say hip-hop is dead, but how can it be when you have Necro dropping Die! in 2010? That album rocked. His rhymes are vicious.
Fuck Yeah, I'm usually right there on all of Necro's releases, but for some reason this one flew under my radar. Didn't even know it was out until I stumbled across some songs from it on youtube a few months after it's release. Great Album.

Quote:
Certainly. DJ Premier is one of the greatest. He's not my number one, but he's def in my top 5.
Same. Have you heard this recent release?

"Stop What Ya Doin" Apathy ft. Celph Titled (Prod. by DJ Premier)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecOKP4_lFsg

Fuckin Love it!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistAh BlistAh View Post
Same. Have you heard this recent release?

"Stop What Ya Doin" Apathy ft. Celph Titled (Prod. by DJ Premier)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecOKP4_lFsg

Fuckin Love it!
Yeah, It's cool. I don't like his new stuff as much as his older stuff though.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Ahhh, that shit is nasty, Blistah.

I honestly think Apathy might be the illest whit emcee in the game right now
Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I hate it how seemingly every alt rap group has used that This is a journey into sound clip ever since Eric B. and Rakim did it.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
I hate it how seemingly every alt rap group has used that This is a journey into sound clip ever since Eric B. and Rakim did it.
Well, Paid In Full is one of the most influential hip hop songs of all time. So it makes sense lol
Old 10-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Ahhh, that shit is nasty, Blistah.

I honestly think Apathy might be the illest whit emcee in the game right now

That beat is razor sharp just like those lyrics.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 PM
My Top 10 (In No Particular Order)

The Roots - Probably the most talented group of musicians Hip Hop has ever seen.

Wu Tang Clan (group and solo) - Probably the most talented group of Rappers to come together. RZA may be my favorite mind in all of hip hop.

Jay Z - One of the GOAT

Kanye - Not the greatest technical rapper, but he knows how to put together a great Album that is more than just a bunch of Songs, it is an experience.

A Tribe Called Quest - Pioneers of Alternative Hip Hop

Kid Cudi - My fave rapper to come out of the last few years. Saw him in concert in June and was one of the funnest shows there could ever be.

Brother Ali - Raps straight from the heart in some of the most personal songs you will ever hear a rapper do.

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides is one of the understated classics in Hip Hop.

Nas - IMO the best at rapping about the issues. Has a way with lyrics that very few can match.

Run DMC - One of the first acts that got me into hip hop, so they will always hold a special place in my heart.

Honorable Mentions: Beastie Boys, Notorious BIG, Lupe Fiasco
Old 10-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_rambo View Post
My Top 10 (In No Particular Order)

The Roots - Probably the most talented group of musicians Hip Hop has ever seen.

Wu Tang Clan (group and solo) - Probably the most talented group of Rappers to come together. RZA may be my favorite mind in all of hip hop.

Jay Z - One of the GOAT

Kanye - Not the greatest technical rapper, but he knows how to put together a great Album that is more than just a bunch of Songs, it is an experience.

A Tribe Called Quest - Pioneers of Alternative Hip Hop

Kid Cudi - My fave rapper to come out of the last few years. Saw him in concert in June and was one of the funnest shows there could ever be.

Brother Ali - Raps straight from the heart in some of the most personal songs you will ever hear a rapper do.

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides is one of the understated classics in Hip Hop.

Nas - IMO the best at rapping about the issues. Has a way with lyrics that very few can match.

Run DMC - One of the first acts that got me into hip hop, so they will always hold a special place in my heart.

Honorable Mentions: Beastie Boys, Notorious BIG, Lupe Fiasco
Nice list man. Nice to see Roots on there. And Mos Def, Wu-Tang, and of course Nas are a few of my favorites as well.

I agree, Nas is one of the best topical rappers out there. He always offers an interesting, and well informed perspective on issues.
Plus there are all the sheer lyrically creative tracks he's done. For example, rapping from the point of view of a gun on his second album.

I'm not familiar with Brother Ali. I'll look him up.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 AM
My top ten hip hop albums:

Outkast - ATLiens

The Wu Tang Clan - Wu Tang Forever

GZA - Liquid Swords

Outkast - Aquemini

Nas - Illmatic

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

MC Solaar - Prose Combat
Old 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
My top ten hip hop albums:

Outkast - ATLiens

The Wu Tang Clan - Wu Tang Forever

GZA - Liquid Swords

Outkast - Aquemini

Nas - Illmatic

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

MC Solaar - Prose Combat

Nice list!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM
So those of you that produce... what do you use? And what's your method? Do you like sample heavy beats, or do you prefer making one that's all drum bass and synth, or do you have your own style. Show beats if you got em!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Quote:
So those of you that produce... what do you use? And what's your method? Do you like sample heavy beats, or do you prefer making one that's all drum bass and synth, or do you have your own style. Show beats if you got em!
I'm actually making a beat right now! I use Reason 5 as my DAW, and I use an MPK25 as my midi-controller. I use some samples, but I have my own style. I make beats that sound like they could be sampled. To cut and chop my samples, I use Recycle 2.1. I also have logic, but I think Reason 5 is more advanced. Logic does have better sounding synths though. So I do sometimes export beats from Reason, and import them into Logic and lay over them with synths and things.
When I sample, I use a lot of Curtis Mayfield, and Isaac Hayes.
Recently I made a Halloween beat in the spirit of Halloween. I'll try and find some way to post that here soon!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Quote:
I'm actually making a beat right now! I use Reason 5 as my DAW, and I use an MPK25 as my midi-controller. I use some samples, but I have my own style. I make beats that sound like they could be sampled. To cut and chop my samples, I use Recycle 2.1. I also have logic, but I think Reason 5 is more advanced. Logic does have better sounding synths though. So I do sometimes export beats from Reason, and import them into Logic and lay over them with synths and things.
When I sample, I use a lot of Curtis Mayfield, and Isaac Hayes.
Recently I made a Halloween beat in the spirit of Halloween. I'll try and find some way to post that here soon!
soundcloud.com lets you host mp3s

I use Reason Recycle and Record too! But I always get frustrated before i make an actual mixdown. Do you have an issue with the audio quality when you hit record on reason?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
soundcloud.com lets you host mp3s

I use Reason Recycle and Record too! But I always get frustrated before i make an actual mixdown. Do you have an issue with the audio quality when you hit record on reason?
What do you mean? The audio quality might be due to your speakers. I have a laptop, and the audio quality through that sucks. So I use Sennheiser 280 pro headphones. The quality for those is real nice. It really picks up the bass in tracks well. You can't hear the bass through my laptop speakers.

If it's not a speaker quality problem, then is it just the sound files that don't sound good to you? Some of the sounds don't sound that great to me. But most of them sound awesome.

How long have you been using Reason?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
a couple years now. I like trying to do sampling, but I try making my own riffs too. Recycle is great for samples.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Quote:
a couple years now. I like trying to do sampling, but I try making my own riffs too. Recycle is great for samples.
I'm not great with samples. I never have been unfortunately... I've never actually devoted time to learning how to sample properly because I've alway been able to duplicate the sample riffs myself a lot of the time. Maybe you could give me some tips. Because there are a few tracks I know exactly how I want to sample them, but I'm just not doing something right.

I do have a few sampled beats, and they're great, but the way I sampled them doesn't work for every song I try and sample.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 AM
See my problem is I can get an awesome sampling loop goin, but I don't know how to add to it ha.